Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum

Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum
No. 28 Primer SerumHourglass No. 28

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Ceramide 3, Sphingolipids, Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis) Oil, Rose Hips Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil, Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Oil, Olive (Olea Europaea) Oil, Hazelnut (Corylus Americana) Oil, Borage (Borago Officinalis) Seed Oil, Kukui (Aleurites Moluccana) Nut Oil, Cherry (Prunus Avium) Pit Oil, Tocopherol, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Panthenyl Triacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Octyldodecanol, Dioctyl Succinate, Peg-8, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Lithospermum Officinale Root Extract, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) Oil, Geranium (Geranium Maculatum) Oil, Rose Geranium (Pelargonium Roseum) Oil, Vanilla (Vanilla Planifolia) Oil, Clove (Eugenia Caryophyllus) Oil, Orange (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis) Peel Oil, Petitgrain (Citrus Reticulata) Oil, Amyris (Amyris Balsamifera) Oil, Benzoin Siam Absolute, Lemon (Citrus Medica Limonum) Peel Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Leaf Oil, Bois De Rose (Aniba Rosaeodora) Oil, Cedar (Thuja Occidentalis) Leaf Oil, Ylang Ylang (Cananga Odorata) Oil.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This is by far the best primer I've tried. And I have tried MANY, I'm a real primer junkie. Perfect for us with dry skin. I let it sink in for like 1-2 minutes every morning and then apply my foundation (Clarins Skin Illusion) over. The makeup stays on for hours and hours. I'm very dry, so I use hyaluronic acid, a serum and day creme (all from Paula's Choice) under it, and everything works fine with this. Haven't noticed any product that does not go with this primer. Its also wonderful with the Hourglass Hyaluronic Skin Tint foundation - actually it's good with any foundation - and the ambient lightning powder from the same brand. Thats my holy trinity for special occasions.

The bad thing is oc the price tag and the fact that no website or beauty store in Sweden have Hourglass in their range of brands.

I know that it's not recommended to order from eBay, but I must admit I have done it with this product some times. It's pricey there as well, but it saves me at least 10-15$ (which usually is like the shipping cost). And I have always gotten the real deal, no fake products.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

One word. Yassssss, but only for dry skin.

Smells and feels amazing upon application, keeps make up lasting all day. I would recommend this for my dry skin sisters, the Mineral Veil would be better for those with oily or combo skin.

on 1/18/2017 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a very hydrating primer.
First, a bit about my skin. Just finished accutane and now on a 'maintenence dose' (40mg /week) to keep the oiliness away. SO, my skin is 'normal' to slightly dry but, above all else, sensitive. Large pores, some wrinkles, no blemishes.
This primer is perfect for my dry skin- adds an extra layer of hydration on top of my morning moisturiser. As for the texture, this is thick, clear, syrup-y stuff. Doesn't feel super silicone-y or as slippy as most other 'cone' based primers (a la smashbox et al). I haven't really encountered other primers quite like it, and I've certainly tried a few. This spreads on pretty easy, with one pump enough for my face, though sometimes I use a tiny bit extra if my skin is feeling dry. The small bottle has lasted me approx 4 months so far and I still have a quarter of a bottle left to go.This is ever so slightly irritating to my skin when I first spread it on my face- I notice my skin turns a little red when I smooth it on, but it settles quickly.
The fragrance is quite strong. Clearly from the essential oils in it, not synthetic scent. To my nose, it smells a bit like ylang ylang. Not unpleasant, but strong. Scent does fade, though.
I find this provides a very moist, slightly sticky and even surface for my foundation to spread over. Makes my armani luminous skil (LS) even more luminous! Gives me the perfect dewy finish.
However, doesn't help mimimise pores or wrinkles. After approx 4 months of use I haven't noticed any skin care benefits at all.
In terms of helping my foundation stay put throughout the day and extending the wear... well, honestly I'm not sure. I think it does, but not amazingly so. Because it's so moist, it does make my foundation transfer to clothes, phone etc, a lot.
Overall, this is a great primer to knock your hydration up a notch (bam!), but that's it's number one claim to fame. Didn't extend the wear of my foundation by a whole heck of a lot and didn't mimimise pores etc. Did make a smooth facial canvas, though, and really gives my skin that dewy look- for about an hour or two.
I would say this primer is ideally suited to those with very dry skin who are not at all sensitive. Oily and acne skins- avoid this like the plague! I tried it before I took accutane and wow- what a hot mess it made of my face.
Very expensive, too, so definitely sample it before committing to a full bottle. That said, it does last a loooong time.
Although I did say I'd repurchase, I'll probably continue to try out other primers. Because, yeah, beauty junky.
This is great, but not outstanding.

on 12/19/2016 5:04:00 AM

Initially I was not amazed by this primer, it basically just felt like putting oil on my face. This was when i was pairing it with nars sheer glow. Because the foundation just was not good for me I guess it didnt enhance the effects of the primer. Over the weekend I tried it with my mac foundation and was pleasantly surprised how nice it looked. It provides a nice hydrating barrier between your skin and foundation so the foundation sits on it nicely.
The packaging for this is terrible, it is a nice glass bottle but there is no pump so everytime i have to open it, I get it everywhere. i'm not sure if this is everywhere though or just Australia. Price wise ($95 in Aus), crazy! you'd expect it to give you a mini face lift as well for that price.
It is good, but not worth the price. I would suggest trying to find a sample and to only buy it if you LOVE it.

on 8/27/2016 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really do love Hourglass products, this is no exception. The difference I have experienced with this primer over others is that when I wear it, i tend to have a better skin day than on the ordinary. I always look at my skin/foundation and wonder why I look so healthy and glowy (not oily), and remember oh it's because of this.

The primer feels more like a serum and since I'm oily I don't really have to moisturise on the day. A little goes a long way and feels/smells beautiful on. I usually like to use a dry or quick setting foundation in conjunction with this, I feel it helps spread an even coverage and allows the foundation look better as the day goes on.

I'm not sure about longevity as most to all foundations last on my skin, even though I am oily. I just avoid this with moisturising foundations or TMs.

Overall love this primer and will repurchase.

on 6/5/2016 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Though I have dry and dehydrated skin, I didn't love this product. It seemed to pool in some of my pores and didn't extend the life of my makeup. I can see this being labled a serum or even a dry oil, but not a primer. It has a strong scent, but I do really like it - it is an herbal lavendar. Overall, I'd rather use really good skincare to keep my dry skin and flaky bits in line.

Price: $65.00 USD for 1oz.

Ingredients:

on 4/3/2016 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

I was starting to think I was never going to find a primer for my ridiculously dry skin. Then the Sephora cashier recommended this one. I picked up the travel size and was skeptical even after I had tried it and liked the way it felt.

I've been wearing this for 11 hours now, and my skin has not had a dry patch AT ALL. My makeup is mostly still on, even my blush is still on!

I don't know if I would recommend this product for anyone with oily or normal skin, but for very dry skin that would turn into what looked like cracked desert ground, I definitely recommend this primer. It's expensive, but hopefully the travel size will last quite a while—you don't need a lot because it's quite oily.

My only gripe is that it doesn't minimize pores like some of the other primers (like Smashbox's do), but my face makeup looked terrible since they were so drying, so imo the tradeoff is worth it.

on 3/31/2016 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This reminds me of a less sticky of MAC gloss.
I use this as how I wanted to use MAC gloss. On the eyes, nose, top of cheeks. It simply was a sticky mess.
When applied to these areas with this, it was very nice. For a highlighted look recommended by Lisa Eldridge, I have to use quite a bit. maybe 1-2 full pumps. It doesn't glide all over the place and looks fresh when I first applied, which is greatly appreciated.

If I want to use a small amount in some areas, the use of the pump was manageable and can squeeze a small or huge amount without measurement oopsies.

I don't find the big bottle to be that appealing. I like the smaller bottle. It's compact, easy to use and doesn't take up much room.

I cannot comment on the use of this primer with foundation or concealer. I do not use either.
I use a small amount of bb cream and this primer is select areas and i look fresh faced all day.

on 3/26/2016 8:06:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I found the Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum to be a very confusing product. Touted to be full of botanicals and good for dry or mature skin, I found it to feel hydrating only at the beginning, and it's full of silicones. Later it mattified anything I put on top of it, any moisturizer and/or any foundation or tinted moisturizer. I ended up with a very matte result, which I didn't want. I'm glad Hourglass has a travel-trial size available, as this lets you experiment enough to see if you really want to invest in a full size. Better yet, try to get a sample to try 3-5 times before you buy either size.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

If you have oily skin, this is not the product for you!

For those of you with dry skin, it is worth a shot. It is a very rich and hydrating primer, the most hydrating I have ever tried.

I have very dry skin. Flakes are a constant battle for me.

But this was too much for my skin. It made my foundation "slide" and had my under-eye concealer looking patchy and terrible within a few hours. (my HG nars concealer didn't work with this at all) While the primer did keep flakes away, my makeup overall looked much worse. Disappointing, because I expect a primer to extend wear-time, not reduce it. It made my foundation fade very quickly.

By the end of the day, I had skin with visibly clogged pores. (and white bumps of gunk all over my chin!) This was a first for me!

It is the type of product that you need to give time to absorb properly. Initially I assumed that I was using too much maybe, or not giving it enough time before foundation. But after some experimentation, this just wasn't the case. No matter what I did, same results.

The scent is strong, and didn't fade. I was smelling it all day long. It is strong lavender scented - something I didn't enjoy at all. The packaging is also problematic. My bottle started leaking almost immediately, and left an oil ring on my makeup area.

For this price, it was a return. I decided my money was better spent on a fantastic moisturizer and nighttime serum. I am glad I returned. I managed to find a regimen that keeps me moisturized without clogging my pores.

Popular Primer/ Correctors