Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum

Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Ceramide 3, Sphingolipids, Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis) Oil, Rose Hips Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Oil, Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) Oil, Olive (Olea Europaea) Oil, Hazelnut (Corylus Americana) Oil, Borage (Borago Officinalis) Seed Oil, Kukui (Aleurites Moluccana) Nut Oil, Cherry (Prunus Avium) Pit Oil, Tocopherol, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Panthenyl Triacetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Octyldodecanol, Dioctyl Succinate, Peg-8, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Lithospermum Officinale Root Extract, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Citric Acid, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) Oil, Geranium (Geranium Maculatum) Oil, Rose Geranium (Pelargonium Roseum) Oil, Vanilla (Vanilla Planifolia) Oil, Clove (Eugenia Caryophyllus) Oil, Orange (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis) Peel Oil, Petitgrain (Citrus Reticulata) Oil, Amyris (Amyris Balsamifera) Oil, Benzoin Siam Absolute, Lemon (Citrus Medica Limonum) Peel Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Leaf Oil, Bois De Rose (Aniba Rosaeodora) Oil, Cedar (Thuja Occidentalis) Leaf Oil, Ylang Ylang (Cananga Odorata) Oil.

on 6/5/2016 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Though I have dry and dehydrated skin, I didn't love this product. It seemed to pool in some of my pores and didn't extend the life of my makeup. I can see this being labled a serum or even a dry oil, but not a primer. It has a strong scent, but I do really like it - it is an herbal lavendar. Overall, I'd rather use really good skincare to keep my dry skin and flaky bits in line.

Price: $65.00 USD for 1oz.

Ingredients:

on 4/3/2016 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

I was starting to think I was never going to find a primer for my ridiculously dry skin. Then the Sephora cashier recommended this one. I picked up the travel size and was skeptical even after I had tried it and liked the way it felt.

I've been wearing this for 11 hours now, and my skin has not had a dry patch AT ALL. My makeup is mostly still on, even my blush is still on!

I don't know if I would recommend this product for anyone with oily or normal skin, but for very dry skin that would turn into what looked like cracked desert ground, I definitely recommend this primer. It's expensive, but hopefully the travel size will last quite a while—you don't need a lot because it's quite oily.

My only gripe is that it doesn't minimize pores like some of the other primers (like Smashbox's do), but my face makeup looked terrible since they were so drying, so imo the tradeoff is worth it.

To Read all 49 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/31/2016 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This reminds me of a less sticky of MAC gloss.
I use this as how I wanted to use MAC gloss. On the eyes, nose, top of cheeks. It simply was a sticky mess.
When applied to these areas with this, it was very nice. For a highlighted look recommended by Lisa Eldridge, I have to use quite a bit. maybe 1-2 full pumps. It doesn't glide all over the place and looks fresh when I first applied, which is greatly appreciated.

If I want to use a small amount in some areas, the use of the pump was manageable and can squeeze a small or huge amount without measurement oopsies.

I don't find the big bottle to be that appealing. I like the smaller bottle. It's compact, easy to use and doesn't take up much room.

I cannot comment on the use of this primer with foundation or concealer. I do not use either.
I use a small amount of bb cream and this primer is select areas and i look fresh faced all day.

on 3/26/2016 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I found the Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum to be a very confusing product. Touted to be full of botanicals and good for dry or mature skin, I found it to feel hydrating only at the beginning, and it's full of silicones. Later it mattified anything I put on top of it, any moisturizer and/or any foundation or tinted moisturizer. I ended up with a very matte result, which I didn't want. I'm glad Hourglass has a travel-trial size available, as this lets you experiment enough to see if you really want to invest in a full size. Better yet, try to get a sample to try 3-5 times before you buy either size.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

If you have oily skin, this is not the product for you!

For those of you with dry skin, it is worth a shot. It is a very rich and hydrating primer, the most hydrating I have ever tried.

I have very dry skin. Flakes are a constant battle for me.

But this was too much for my skin. It made my foundation "slide" and had my under-eye concealer looking patchy and terrible within a few hours. (my HG nars concealer didn't work with this at all) While the primer did keep flakes away, my makeup overall looked much worse. Disappointing, because I expect a primer to extend wear-time, not reduce it. It made my foundation fade very quickly.

By the end of the day, I had skin with visibly clogged pores. (and white bumps of gunk all over my chin!) This was a first for me!

It is the type of product that you need to give time to absorb properly. Initially I assumed that I was using too much maybe, or not giving it enough time before foundation. But after some experimentation, this just wasn't the case. No matter what I did, same results.

The scent is strong, and didn't fade. I was smelling it all day long. It is strong lavender scented - something I didn't enjoy at all. The packaging is also problematic. My bottle started leaking almost immediately, and left an oil ring on my makeup area.

For this price, it was a return. I decided my money was better spent on a fantastic moisturizer and nighttime serum. I am glad I returned. I managed to find a regimen that keeps me moisturized without clogging my pores.

on 12/23/2015 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This product is the BOMB for anyone with dry skin!!!! No seriously, it's friggin' amazing.

28 different skin loving oils? Yes please! This also sinks into the skin fast which is a hard thing to find in an oil. This products works as both a primer and serum, which rocks. For colder days I will use this under makeup as a primer but I mainly use this as a serum at night, usually 2X's a week, and it puts the moisture balance back into my skin like a champ.

I don't know if people with normal or oily prone skin would be into this primer/serum at all, as it's so oil heavy. But if your skin is dry I say you have to try it! Go for the smaller "travel size" (8ML) bottle which runs around $22. Even though I adore this product enough to actually pay full price for a larger bottle ($65 for 30ML) I feel like in an effort to ensure the oils stay fresh I will continue buying the small size. This may sound like a waste of money to not just get the bigger size, however, if it goes old or looses potency it really wasn't a savings at all LOL so I'd rather not risk it. Plus the small will last forever and a day anyhow as a little goes a long way.

This is a great primer, I dont use it daily but when my skin is feeling dehydrated or I want a more dewy look then this is a great pick up. I find it quite nourishing and leaves my skin really soft. It is more of a dewy look but I find it doesn't create any more oiliness than I would have if I didnt use it, makeup glides on so easily after applying this.

on 11/5/2015 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

As much as I like this primer and the way it makes my skin feel I HATE the packaging! I don't know how or why but both bottles I have purchased leaked. What made me the most upset is that I save the packaging on my LE blushes and of course, this was in the drawer with them. I don't plan on buying it again, but if I do I'll be putting it in a clean moisturizer jar. Maybe that way I'll actually get use out of a whole bottle :-(

on 9/19/2015 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

pros:
- smell is amazing, like lavender
- so so so hydrating
- available in smaller travel size (i love that because i take ages to go through a 30ml bottle of anything)

cons:
- doesn't extend the wear of my foundation
- very expensive

repurchase: yes. i love this stuff under makeup, especially in the winter when my skin is drier. it helps hydrate so i don't have dry patches showing through my makeup as the day goes on. it doesn't create the smooth canvas that a silicone primer does, but i prefer mattifying primers for summer. love this stuff!

on 6/9/2015 7:00:00 AM

I have just brought a bottle of this, and tried to apply it a few times. It just sticks to my face, making it Impossiable to apply foundation. Even after letting it settle into the skin. My skin is dry. I don't understand if I'm doing something wrong. Anyone else have any similar experiances?