Santa Maria Novella Honeysuckle

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
No Image

3.3

on 7/13/2008 12:11:00 AM

Whoo! Sharp opening—orange flowers galore, a hint of gardenia, another wee hint of rose that smells like one of those dissolvable bath oil bubbles, and a lovely (yet shy) linden blossom. The orange flower is the most dominant note here, without question. I get none of the soft, mellow-yet-heavy dewiness of honeysuckle, which should be much sweeter, lighter (in the day, yet heavier and sweeter still in the late afternoon), and slightly more sweetened-tea-like. To be honest, I really can’t tell the difference between Caprifoglio and La Chasse aux Papillons; they’re both lovely scents, but neither comes close to creating the impression of honeysuckle. If I were to buy a FB and had to choose btwn the 2 (La Chasse & Caprifoglio), there would really be no contest... Caprifoglio lasts *MUCH* longer than La Chasse, develops nicely, and costs less to boot. Again, it’s a lovely scent if you are looking for an orange blossom & linden fragrance. If you want something closer to honeysuckle, I would suggest either Demeter’s Honeysuckle or L’Erbolario Caprifoglio. (For reference: I found AG’s Le Chevrefeuille to be a terrible honeysuckle disappointment, as the jasmine and narcissus were too prominent. After some 10 min. or so, it turned to a lily-like “eau du bad breath” on my skin. Maybe this is just my skin, though...)

a super green, soapy linden/honeysuckle. the unsweetened powdery quality brings to mind the scent of an old library--it has that almost wince-inducing sting in your nostrils of old, dry paper. initially very aldehydic. i would rename this Antique Honeysuckle if i could since it feels almost...historical, somehow (which is not to say old-fashioned, however). honeysuckle is difficult to capture and i appreciate how un-metallic this provocative interpretation is.

on 10/3/2002 1:45:00 PM

I got a sample of this courtesy of Sweetpea, and I was very excited as I had not tried any of the SMN fragrances yet. This one was kind of disappointing. It started with a green/honeysuckle note that was pretty, but soured quickly on me. It smelled utterly nasty and sour, but was gone in 1/2 hour. I thought the perfume had faded completely, but then...it came back!!! I gave it 2 stars instead of just 1 because when the scent came back, it had a delicate and beautiful smell to it. Not true honeysuckle, but quite pretty. This didn't last too long either, though, unfortunately.