Physicians Formula PH Matchmaker Lip Gloss

No Image

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This reminds me of a grown-up high-tech version of those old-school "mood" lipsticks that are whatever color in the tube (blue, green, yellow etc.) that supposedly turn into your perfect pink/red/whatever lipcolor as if by magic! This gloss does that too and looks a lot better in the process, all magic aside :) I waited until this week's $6 off everything PF sale at CVS so I picked this up for less than $4. NO way was I shelling out $9.99 on this just to satisfy my curiosity.

I knew the pink ones would both no doubt turn neon fuschia on me, so I opted for the Natural shade. It looks like a sheer peachy/coppery/pinky shade with light micro-shimmer in the tube but morphs into a warm, light to medium toned red gloss that leaves behind a red tint (lighter or darker, depending on how much you glop on, PH balanced or not. I think this is the key: how much you put on, the color of your lips normally, and the temperature of your skin). The Natural is actually quite flattering, surprisingly enough. It's not too bright nor is it fuschia like most of these (and their "mood changing" cousins) tended to be. As a gloss it's thick and long lasting, but not overly tacky-feeling on the lips. I can't discern a noticable smell or taste. The brush surprised me. I thought at first I got a bum or used one as the bristles are really short, like half the size of a normal lipbrush. They do the job, though.

The click-button switch to turn on the light is in the end of the wand, and it's a lot brighter than I expected, I figure if I ever lose my keys at night or in my Black Hole of a handbag, I'm set as long as this is with me. The mirror on the side of the tube is a nice touch and large enough to be useful, actually. I can't say I'd repurchase this because I think the "ooooh ahhhh" newness factor lasts all of five minutes. After that it's just a sheer warm peachy- red gloss (bear with me here, it's hard to describe and may be different on you) which leaves behind a nice clean warm red stain and doesn't dry out my lips. IMHO it's not worth the normal retail price but for less than five bucks it is a lot better than other gloss-to-lipstains (and just plain lipstains, for that matter) that I've tried. It's a fun and interesting little gizmo which works as well as one would expect but it's certainly not necessary. I'd go for the Natural color over either the two pinks anyday, especially if like me you are at all warm, tan or yellow-undertoned, as the Natural stays on the warm side of spectrum rather than veering off into the dreaded bright fuschialand cool side of the red spectrum. It's not the kind of color-change where your lips enter the room before you do :)

on 8/1/2012 8:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Overall, I like this lip gloss a lot. I don't know about its claims to adjust to one's pH, but I can say that it did turn a beautiful shade of bright bubblegum pink on my lips about 60 seconds after applying it. It's not drying or overly sticky (major pluses for me, since my lips chap if I look at them wrong), and it leaves a pretty stain behind.
My only issues are a. the price, as I feel it is a shade too steep for a drugstore product and b. the fact that sometimes, if your lips are not perfectly moisturized prior to application, the stain can look sort of patchy and uneven if you reapply often. But that's not a huge deal, and I've certainly paid more for drugstore glosses in the past, so on the grand scale, I'd have to say this is a win for me. I'd like to try the lighter pink as well, as I feel it might pair with a heavy smoky eye better.

WoW, this lip gloss is a LOT better then I thought it would be!
Packaging wise, LOVE it! I love that it has both a mirror AND a light, which makeups touch ups super easy no matter where you are!
I love the color of the gloss, it's the perfect hot pink on me, but I honestly don't know about the whole "it changes to match your skin" as I haven't tried it on anyone else. But...best of all, once the gloss has rubbed off, it's like a stain! It's really nice, and lasts a VERY long time! I've had it on for over 5 hours, and even took a shower, and my lips are a nice pink still!

on 4/14/2012 12:54:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am not sure if I'm too pale, or what happened but I found this lip gloss to be way too bright for me, and I bought the light pink shade. I'd seen it on some blogs and was excited to try it, but I don't really go out enough (where I feel it would be the most appropriate on me) to justify the $10.

on 3/5/2012 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Literally just bought this at Walmart about an hour ago. I've been hearing about it & I loved the idea that it has a mirror on the side of it and light. The light is activated on top of the brush all you do is click it and unscrew the top to distribute it. Perfect if you're at a party or club and its dark. Not sure how the color adjusts on other skin tones but on me its a very bright pink. Like a fuschia color with some sparkle to it. Very pretty color to brighten up your look. The part I LOVE the most about this is even after the gloss wears off your lips still have a stain to it that is the same color so I apply some chapstick. Doesn't dry out my lips either. Hope they make more colors!