Bijan Bijan

Bijan  Bijan

3.9

This review is for the vintage Eau de Parfum. If I were able to do, I would rate this 4.5 lippies.

Top Notes: Basil, Neroli, Ylang-Ylang, Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Narcissus.

Heart Notes: Honey, Carnation, Tuberose, Jasmine, Orris Root, Lily of the Valley, Bulgarian Rose.

Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Benzoin, Vanilla, Heliotrope, Cedar.

Bijan is a decadently rich, delicious, and quite expensive smelling Oriental that is very well blended with the perfect amount of spice. I have to work hard to distinguish the individual notes one from another, but the ones I am able to distinguish smell very natural and lush. Bijan is not synthetic smelling at all. This is how I had hoped Bal รก Versailles would smell.

Bijan immediately seduces both the senses and the imagination. The development is rewardingly slow compared to so many of today's fragrances. It develops over time like the slow opening of a beautiful rose. Bijan has a classic pyramidal structure.

The ylang-ylang and orange blossom in the top notes are lush and sweet. Then as Bijan slowly develops, I detect gorgeous notes of sweet honey and fresh carnation with hints of buttery tuberose and orris root. The deep dry down is very warm, rich, powdery, and sensual. All of the base notes meld together so seamlessly that it is difficult to tease the individual notes apart from one another. They are simply there on one's skin like a soft, rich, silky, beautiful veil. This is a perfume to truly relish smelling either on oneself or on someone else.

I am amazed by the way all of the notes combine to create the most incredibly soft smoothness. They meld effortlessly with one another to form a most intoxicatingly delicious smell. Sniffing Bijan is the olfactory equivalent of running one's hand across the softest most opulent and warm fur one can imagine. This...this is an Oriental worthy of the name!

On top of everything else, Bijan is obscenely affordable--at least in the current EdT formulation. I would expect to pay significantly more for a fragrance of this fine quality.

If you like Orientals, this is one that is worth adding to your wardrobe. It is "dress up" worthy, date night worthy, and special occasion worthy. Sadly, they do not make fragrances like this anymore. Bijan is lush, smooth, rich, warm, sensual, feminine, and dare I say it...sexy. I generally do not relegate any perfume to either day or night wear, but Bijan I think would be best worn in the evening because it is so opulently rich and seductive. A woman wearing Bijan will rightly expect the men in her immediate vicinity to notice her and to gravitate toward her.

The following ratings are for the first five hours or so. Thereafter, Bijan very slowly begins to fade away leaving behind what I envision as the wake of Cleopatra's barge sparkling in the moonlight.

Fragrance: 9/10
Projection: 9/10
Sillage: 9/10
Longevity: 8/10

Wearing this today and I'm in love....

I would describe this as a very clean floriental...top notes on me are a blast of the 80's (in a very good way)---Neroli, Bergamot, ylang-ylang. Very rich and heady.

The heart of the fragrance on me is rich jasmine, rose, honey, and a hint of creamy tuberose--none of these stand out individually, everything is so well blended that they are just a harmony of creamy floral gorgeousness. There is a hint of spiciness and the floral blend is a bit soapy on me, but in a very very good way (I normally hate soapy, but this is fresh clean soapy. Soapy done right.)

I'm in the drydown and it's sandalwood, musk, amber and cedar--mixed still with those heady florals mentioned above. The patch is just a faint hint in the background, but that's ok because I didn't buy this for the patchouli.

The bottle may look like a giant ring pop or pacifier, but even that brings back my middle school years--remembering this scent and knowing it was still a little 'too grown up' for me back then.

I love it. It holds up. Nothing about this smells too dated, just a wonderful gorgeous clean floriental.

I dig it.

(crosspost)

To Read all 7 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/8/2013 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought this in the hope of finding a replacement for my Dearly loved Valentino Vendetta which is long discontinued as I have seen on many review sites it is a similar fragrance. I have to agree though in my opinion it resembles several 80s classics. I feel this is definitely a green yellow floral, wet floral. The basil makes it similar to Oscar De La renta which is usually a tad too green on my skin, but it smells a bit like Red Door (another of my faves), It also smells alot like Estee - I get a hint of Pineapple and the soapy hairspray-ness that Estee has but most of all it reminds me of Guy Laroche Fidji - wet floral notes with balmy musk notes. It is a very interesting fragrance in a very interesting bottle I guess it is like all of the 80's classics rolled into one. The Narcisscus and Honey notes have sold it for me and it is a lovely musky floral with a powdery dry down which I love. This definitely has a carnal note to it which smells of slightly sweaty skin but makes it meld with your own skin - It reminds me a bit of boudoir.

on 9/8/2011 3:28:00 AM

Bijan is my favorite fragrance, and my signature scent. I have been wearing this scent since the early 90's, and will wear it forever. I don't know all of the fancy terminology to describe this fragrance, but I do know that it smells wonderful on me...

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This has been one of my favorites for years I love how it smells. I noticed this got some negative reviews... as far as perfume is concerned I wouldnt go off of reviews, its a personal thing and everyone likes different things so go to a perfume store and smell it. you can find this stuff just about anywhere.

on 6/20/2011 12:54:00 AM

It turns to a powdery smell on me I just dont care for it ..... Im going to give away to someone else. I love the artsy bottle though

on 5/24/2011 7:18:00 PM

First, for those who are puzzled at the paucity of reviews on this, there are more under "Bijan Bijan" in "Unlisted" category on MUA. Next, I don't hate Bijan. If I had to put it in a category, I'd say Emblematic 80's. To start, it was horrifyingly overpriced, from a design firm whose hallmark was overpricing. The overpricing is critical to understanding the zeitgeist of this fragrance -- it's part of a set marked by overstatement, overpricing, excess.

The pricing has now come so far down that it's clear not only was the initial cost inflated, the ingredients are not of very much quality (which I kind of always suspected - still, nice to have it confirmed). There are some naturals in here. I'm guessing the orange blossom is a pretty inexpensive one easily found in middle eastern fragrance oils -- I've met it before, most recently in Madini's Azahar.

Specific notes, per Fragrantica, are: ylang-ylang, narcissus, orange blossom, bergamot, neroli and pimento, Persian jasmine, Bulgarian rose, lily-of-the-valley, carnation, honey, orrisroot and tuberose. Base: Moroccan oakmoss, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, benzoin, cedar, heliotrope, musk, Tonka bean and vanilla.

I'm not surprised by the miscellany. Bijan, to my nose, is a big (and I mean BIG), bitter, shoulder-paddy orangeblossom dominated Big Floral combo with a generous whack of sugary notes in the base. The sugary base is sort of like a big bottom meant to balance the big boobs of orange blossom. To my nose, the balancing didn't work. It goes hairspray bitter on my skin almost immediately. The ylang-ylang comes through in a central sort of incense-y clang, and the narcissus adds to the bitter aspects of this. There is also a distinct tuberose twitch, much as there is in Anne Klein. The base roars with sugary stuff.

But here's where the miracle of different skins might come into play. For years, 24 Faubourg and Giorgio were disasters on me. But... I've found Giorgio can actually be worn. By me. IF, IF I barely spray a cloud in the air and walk near it. In other words, very very very lightly, and even better if there's a layer of an eau de cologne like 4711 over and/or on top. I can also wear 24F sometimes now as well. But Bijan... I don't think it'll ever work for me. It also reminds me of Norrell, and Caron's Infini in that all of them turn into toxic hairspray clouds on my skin.

But I'm sure there are people whose skin manages this. If they don't mind buying (at least a little) into the "I Have Money -- SEE!!! So I'm Better Than EVERYBODY" ethos that drove this fragrance, buy away -- preferably at TJs or Marshalls, where Bijan can be had for next to nothing. I don't mean this in a holier than thou patchouli way, either. Really, if you can get past the unsavory marketing, buy. I've gotten past Dior Addict's crass associations, so my finger must remain unpointing. But if you DO get this, and wear it, please do so carefully. This is an easily overwhelming fragrance. If you're a long time wearer, especially if this is a holy grail, try wearing something else for at least two weeks, preferably a month, then try Bijan again. I'm willing to bet you were wearing too much, and once your own nose and everything you own and wear is no longer oversaturated, you'll tune this way way way lower.

There are certainly worse things one could wear, but I must say, I also think there are better. Still, to each their own...

Popular Fragrances