Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Core Collection

4.5

on 12/6/2016 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Probably the most popular brush set in the world.
Got this set three years ago, been using the brushes daily and they're still in great condition.
Really soft, really good at applying products, extremelly durable and at a great price!
What's more to ask? <3

on 12/5/2016 6:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This brush set is a godsend for somebody like me. Somebody who wants great quality brushes without them costing an arm and a leg.

I got the set for about 13 dollars. You get four brushes and a stand which is incredibly useful, more useful than you initially think it's going to be. just to compare: some of Sigma's brushes can be bought for 10 dollars each, so you're really getting great value for money.

My biggest worry when I first got this set was the shedding. I cannot stand that more than anything, no matter how good a brush is. It's my biggest pet peeve. Luckily I didn't encounter this with these! I wasn't expecting them to shed, anyway, because I own the RT stippling brush and that one is possibly my holy grail.

The brushes aren't the world's softest but are still soft enough for my requirements. I LOVE the design - the bright colours are so attractive, and every part - both the rubbery ends and the metal part of the brush itself - are sturdy and do not break or scratch easily.

On to the individual brushes. I'd just like to mention that if you're a beginner worrying over whether or not you'll use all the brushes or if you think they'd be too difficult to use, and should be reserved for the more experienced beauty gurus, fear not. I had the same doubts but went for it anyway, and it's one of my best beauty buys.

**BUFFING BRUSH**: I use this to set my makeup with powder (from the Body Shop). It's big enough to apply powder quickly and is effective at buffing the powder into the skin. I sometimes use this to apply blush.

**CONTOUR BRUSH**: when I first saw this I wondered how this would be used for contouring or applying blush/highlight as the shape of it looks impractical. Turns it out it's actually perfect for applying these products. I use this to apply my blush. I very rarely contour but if I do its with this.

**CONCEALER BRUSH**: this is the one I least use out of all of them, but that's because of my acne. I've got so many scars that if I used this tiny thing to conceal all my blemishes I'd still be going till the next day. It IS effective for spot concealing, though.

**POINTED FOUNDATION BRUSH**: I don't really use this for foundation (I have my stippling brush for that) - however, I have pretty bad under eye circles and this thing provides full coverage as it doesn't soak up the product and kind of "pats" it down. This is my favourite of the four, and quite honestly, I couldn't live without it. My dark circles are quite sunken in and have a 'groove' under them, but this thing along with my Inglot concealer provide such a full coverage that even this line is blurred out. Phenomenal. However, I think with regards to applying foundation it's much too small - obviously it'd probably get the job done in the end, and provide full coverage, but efficiency isn't its biggest strength in that department. It's also good for priming eyelids as well.

The stand is great for drying the brushes upside down. There are some extra places to put other brushes, so with the stippling brush and some of my essential eyeshadow brushes, I can store hem neatly together and have no need for a cup to hold them all. It doesn't seem too sturdy, but it really is.

What more can I say? 5/5.

on 10/6/2016 5:42:00 AM

Good ok

on 8/20/2016 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've had these brushes for almost 2 years now. It took me so long to sit down and write a review because they are so versatile, but to be quite honest they're not the best in their game, even on the affordable side, at least for my preference anyway. I finally figured out the perfect way to utilise every single one of them, so here it is, finally.
Some general pointers:
- The bristles are very high quality, I've never had a hair shed on me in the whole 2 years I've had them. They pick up and apply products very very well, and do not soak up product at all. How much you pick up is how much you're going to apply on your face. I never worry about wasting foundation when using them. They wash well, dry phenomenally fast. Every brush is decently packed with bristles, none of them is flimsy, all very firm and substantial.
- They're not the softest brushes out there. Especially the contour brush and the buffing brush. Compare to the expert face brush of the same brand, and say some ELF, Coastal Scents, BHcosmetics brushes, the contour brush in particular I feel so scratchy. I have dry skin on the side of my face, so I dare not contour or even use it to apply blushes. I use it exclusively to set my under eye concealer or target powder on more oily area, and it works amazing. The buffing brush works, I do love the way it spreads out foundation, but the the bristles are just not as soft, so I prefer the Expert Face brush. In case of the other two brushes however, the firm bristles work in their advantage. I love using the detailer brush for spot concealer, just a tiny bit of concealer at a time, building up carefully. The pointed foundation brush is way too small for foundation, I use it to put concealer or foundation on from time to time, but I always have to use another brush to blend the product out. Admittedly, it's my least used brush of the four, and out of my entire brush collection, to be honest.
- The handles are very nice, I love how the ferrule covers nearly 2/3 of the length of every brush. It's just a lot more sturdy and lasts longer that way. I've had brushes where the metal/alloy ferrule is merely glued to the wooden handles and they just broke off, and I fond it very irritating. Even though the writing on them do rub off over time, they hardly have any scratch or dent, no fading or chipping paint whatsoever. I was afraid that the rubber end will get scratched or ripped, but that hasn't happened yet. They're more tactile so they help the bigger brushes stand on their end well, but they do collect dust/lint easily.
- Since I have more brushes now, I dry them upside down on a brush tree, but the panoramic case is still very useful when I have a few extra odd brushes that don't fit on the brush tree, or when I travel. I can fit up to 8 brushes in there, and for travelling it's all I need really.

Overall, I think this is a great brush set to get when you just started getting into makeup, and they're still great even when you've acquired more brushes later on. Since they're so versatile, I'm sure anybody can find some use for them. If some of them break or the bristles go looose, I'll definitely repurchase, especially when the new brushes look so nice in their much brighter colouring.

on 8/9/2016 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

amazing brushes from the ds. had mine for over 2years now still look brand new every time they are washed

on 6/29/2016 3:18:00 AM

Giving the collection 4 stars because I regularly use the largest two brushes. The foundation and concealer brushes I barely use at all and they're stowed away for future usage.

Bit of a background: I bought a gorgeous 18-piece brush set from Morphe before I purchased this. I believe it was the Sable-haired brushes. My sensitive skin rejected all of the face brushes, save for the flat foundation one, so I went on a hunt for replacements. I've heard too many good things about Real Techniques brushes, and I decided to get the Core Collection because it was cheaper than buying individual brushes.

I LOVE them! The biggest win for me was the fact that my skin accepted the bristles immediately. The contour brush is my favorite due to its small size. Sculpting my cheeks and jawline is so easy with this one. I use the buffing brush as a powder brush because of how easy it is to pack loose powder on my face. The brushes are also extremely easy to clean with baby shampoo and they dry super fast. I'm very glad I had such a great experience with the Core collection, and it led to me buying more brushes from RT.

on 6/9/2016 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

A GREAT value, the Buffing Brush has pretty much changed my life (I use it with my thicker liquid foundations and they don't cake up at all but still retain full coverage), and the Highlight-Contour Brush has been great for me to use with setting powder on specific areas of my face. The Foundation Brush is okay for patting in concealer, but I can't imagine using it for foundation. I haven't used the smallest brush only because I already had a lot of little brushes, lol. I love this set. The brushes have flat-bottom handles which makes them easy to stand up on the counter. The bristles are soft and haven't fallen out or become scratchy despite washing them a bunch of times. I always wanted to try RT brushes and this was a really affordable way to do so.

The brushes are just okay kind of scratchy and bulky so you can't put them in a vase with other brushes and the brushes are so ugly. Love the pixi girls so I don't regret them but won't repurchase. I think the black handle elf brushes are pretty cheaper store nicely.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

The brushes are pretty alright, value for money. Does not scratch the skin when used. Easy to wash & the bristles don't drop off easily but mine tend to become frizzy?? (Maybe it's the $2 daiso sponge detergent I have been using is too harsh for it?) The brushes comes with smooth metallic body with rubber base. The rubber base tend to wear out after a year or so.

Contour brush: Great for highlighters but not for bronzers, as the brush is too small & not packed enough.

Pointed foundation brush: I have tried using it for foundation, it leaves streaks on my face. Also tried using it to apply concealer under my eyes, my finger does it faster& better job.

Detailer brush: Tried using it for concealers, feels it's too stiff & small.

Buffing brush: Mainly for applying finish powder onto my T zone & under my eyes. But not for my entire face as it's too small & a hassle.

This is a value for money set to get if you are trying out RT brushes. But I wouldnt repurchase it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I think this range of products is amazing! I have litterely the entire range and they make my makeup go on so smoothly, the eyeshadow brushes are so precise and the face brushes are so soft! They are very easy to clean and don't shed at all. My favourite thing about them is that you can use different brushes for different things, for example i use the fine liner brush to get precise technique when doing my eye brows, i also use the detailer brush for highlighting under my brow bone and as a lip brush! They are worth the money as they last so long!

Popular Makeup Brushes