Sleek MakeUP Face Contour Kit

4.2

on 2/10/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I am stunned by how brilliant this product is for such a low price.

This is a duo-palette kit, with a dark contour colour and a slightly shimmery highlight colour. It comes in 3 shades: light, medium and dark. I am using light, and I am about an NW20. I usually use a lighter contour colour (I have been using Illamasqua's Rumour, which is very light), and this is darker and not as cool-toned, but it's not too dark, and it's good for a stronger look. I wouldn't use this for a subtle contoured look, and I also wouldn't use blush as well as this, as I think it would look too heavy on my fair skin.

It's very pigmented, and the darker colour has a creamy consistency that blends well. I love the overall effect.

The box it comes in is vile (but who cares?!), and the palette is a little difficult to open - I am sure I am going to break a nail on it one day! However, the product is fantastic, and they give you a lot of product for the money, especially considering how cheap it is.

It also comes with an illustrated instruction booklet, which explains how to contour cheeks and nose.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I'm not too impressed with this. I got the Light shade for my NC25-35 skin as the Medium was much too dark, like mud. The Light contour powder is quite dark but very red toned so doesn't look natural. I apply with a light hand and it doesn't look like brown streaks on my face or anything, but the tone is so wrong, it doesn't mimick natural shadow at all.

The highlight powder is decent, nothing special as it doesn't make my cheekbones glow or stand out. I don't really notice a difference at all, it's beyond subtle. Not to mention the powders can crack and shatter very easily! Not travel friendly at all. I just placed mine down on my window ledge with no force whatsoever and the highlighter side cracked.

I would not repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This contour powder is available in three colours,light,medium and dark.I am a Shu Uemura 734,734 and 754 mixed occasionally and Mac NC40 just for reference.I do not use contour powders very often and I purchased this product in light.The product is enclosed within a black plastic case and,there is a contour powder as well as a highlighter powder.
The product also has a detailed instruction leaflet inside the box,it informs you as to where to place the contour and highlight powder.
When I looked at the colour I thought it was too dark and it would make my face look dirty(and could not stop laughing)as it was a blind purchase.
The powder itself appears brown mainly with some perhaps red undertones,it is difficult to describe.I do think that when it comes to contouring and shaping,you do require some skill in application,otherwise you will have some strange looks.Personally I would only do some contouring in the evening when the lighting is dimmed.The contour colour looks nice when only a little is applied and on application it does blend well.The highlighter is of no use to me,it just does not seem right and appears ashy however I really only needed the contour powder.If you are thinking of purchasing this try and see if you can look at the colour first and see if it works on your skin and also consider how much you are going to use.If you are going to use it a lot then it may be an idea to invest in a Mac or Make Up Forever sculpting kit,you can also use a darker coloured foundations,darker eye shadow but it must be matt and contain absolutely no shimmer.
Overall,I think I have made a good purchase and there is plentiful powder for the retail price.My brush picks up plenty of colour so it is quite pigmented and it is definitely worth considering.
Thank you for reading.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

For reference I am BB 4.5/roughly NC40 and I got the medium shade (see my pictures above).

At first, I thought the contour section would be sooo dark and because it's so pigmented I was really scared. I whacked out the stipple brush and with a light hand, it's really easy to contour and I love the overall effect.The contour powder section is bigger than the highlight section. This seems like a decent ratio. I like that this is very well pressed and that when you sweep the brush over it there isn't a huge mess created (although I do use a stipple brush because I'm so heavy handed!). The highlight contains a very, very small amount of shimmer so I love it because I have oily skin! Good value for money, I can see this lasting for years because it's so pigmented. Thankfully it's very easy to blend even with my heavy handedness.

The packaging is really good. By that, I mean the actual compact. It looks very professional and expensive and houses are good quality mirror in the lid. It's also a decent weight and hard to open (which could be a good thing - the lid won't open randomly but I always fear for my nails!). However... the cardboard casing that comes on it just screams 'prostitute!' The girl on it looks really slutty! I really, really wish Sleek would sort that out, I was embarrassed holding it in the shop. Inside, there is an instruction leaflet but I found YouTube much more helpful for lessons on contouring, the booklet reads like it was written without someone reading over. I have seen pictures of the leaflet on blogs and they seem to have scaled it down considerably compared to the pictures online and it's a little hard to clearly see the pictures they provide.

The person below me who said the highlight looks ashy - you got a contour kit that was too light. I'm lighter skinned than her and got the medium (she got the light one, that's why it looks ashy) and medium's perfect.

on 5/22/2011 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I just use the highlighter in this. I love it.It gives the enough highlight you need. I always get compliments about it. I have had it for more than 2 years and still not finished with it :-)

on 5/25/2011 11:20:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

a lot of people say the colors are to dark but the point of Contouring is using a color much darker then your natural skin tone to make a shadow. i'm stupidly pale and i have this in light and yes it's way to dark for me but i can work with it.......just use a light hand (this stuff is very pigmented) and blend blend blend that's the key. i love this little kit it's slim it don't take up much room in my bag and comes with a Contour and highlight and it's so cheap yet great Quality

on 6/5/2011 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is a decent contour powder at a good price. I personally prefer my powder to be a little less red toned but it still works okay. I can't use it to contour my nose as the red tones look so fake but on my cheeks it looks natural and does a good job. I'm not too keen on the highlight colours that came along with it though...even so I would repurchase.

on 6/30/2011 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

In winter I'm quite a bit lighter and bought this in Medium and it works really well. Thank heavens for the detailed instructions for different types of contouring, and the shades blend really well. Now that its summer I only use the highlighter which is perfect anywhere on the face day/night since it has only a faint glittery finish. If I can get the highlighter separately i would definitely purchase that again. But I don't know who I was kidding buying a contouring kit...

on 8/15/2011 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I love sleek! I was on a hunt for a contour kit, which was suitable for my dark skin. I went to Mac, Make up forever, Screen face etc, for a suitable contour powder which does not have a red undertone. I was so happy to find the sleek contour kit for 6.50! I purchased the dark kit first but it is a little too dark for my nw45 skin complexion so I returned and bought the medium kit. I use this almost every day and always keep it in my make up bag. Going to repurchase for my working make up kit.
Pros:
Cheap, stylish, will last for ages!
Cons:
I don't like the highlighting colour in the med kit it looks a bit ashy on my skin.

on 8/28/2011 4:16:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Good buy if you want an affordable contour powder, I paid just under 7 at Superdrug. Like most, I am not that fond of the highlighting side; it barely shows up and if I do build it up it takes on a very ashy tone which doesn't look nice. The contour side is better but I wish it wasn't so red! I have pale skin and although I can control the darkness of the product by using a light hand, the red tone looks unrealistic against my natural skintone in broad day light. Looks ok at night time though. I always use a light hand as the powder is very pigmented and shows up muddy/orange if I over apply. I don't think I will be repurchasing as I prefer a more taupe/grey tone.