3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

Wonderful conditioner, leaves my hair soft and silky. Detangles really well, you can feel it detangling even in the shower. Has a very slick "conditioner feel", there is no doubt with this that it is working but I am not sure I'd buy again at this price point. There are other (cheaper) conditioners that work as well as this. Might purchase.

About reviewer (966 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Curly, Coarse

EyesGray

3 years ago

On my first use the conditioner seemed thicker than most, but it did its job of moisturizing fabulously! It did the job so well that I am willing to overlook the cost to buy it again. It comes in three sizes: 1.35oz for $9, 8.5oz for $32, or 16.5oz for $49. I would highly recommend this for those with dry hair, especially if it's damaged or colored. I also recommend it as a sulfate-free option for those of us with allergies and sensitivities.

About reviewer (334 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

3 years ago

This is by far the BEST conditioner I have ever used. I have tried anything and everything from salon to drugstore to DIY. It is well worth the cost because a little goes a looooong way! My hair is the softest, silkiest and frizz free it has ever been and the fragrance is fabulous. It is truly sexy hair in a bottle!

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

4 years ago

CAVEAT: My review and scoring [READ: Warning] for this product may only be applicable to women of color. I need to start this review by stating I used to use this conditioner off and on a few years ago - I would purchase it maybe 2-3 times a yr. Back then I had mixed reviews on it, my biggest complaint really just being about the bottle/8.5 oz size (with the pull up top), which was difficult to use (I would have to cut the bottle to get the last of it out, which was abt a quarter of the product and that was incredibly aggravating to me)... Overall did feel it was a good conditioner. It was very conditioning and moisturizing, which is hard to find for my thick, course, curly hair). However, this was actually too moisturizing and my hair tangled like crazy and was left prone to a lot of frizz. So if I had to rate it based on past experience, I would have only scored it at 3 stars anyhow... Fast forward to now and ... I repurchased this about a week ago in the large 16.5 size ($49.00) - it had been about 7-8 months since I last bought a bottle of it. I have no idea what Alterna did to the formulation, but this was legit one of the worst products I have ever used in my hair. The minute I began to spread it through my hair I began to freak out; upon application my hair turned into straw, which for me is a tell-tale sign of "bad" protein overload - I say bad because my hair loves conditioners and hair masks which contain natural proteins in the form of wheat, etc. As I began combing through my hair, I had a sh*t-tone of breakage and it took forever to gently attempt to comb out my mane of tangled straw. My hair felt terrible as it dried, and looked pretty bad (curls totally gone!) when dry. I wasn't sure if this was just a fluke or what so a few days later I tried it again on only a portion of hair and I got the same scenario. Even though I only used this as an all over conditioning product one time, I suffered from continued breakage for about a week, if not a bit longer, while attempting to repair this damage/the effects. If I could score this zero stars do believe that I would. If you are Latina/Hispanic, mixed, woman of color you need to stay far away from this product. While I have yet to compare the old label to the newer one (so I don't know if something was added or if an existing ingredient was increased), there is definitely a change that is not coarse or thick hair friendly. After returning this product for refund, I looked at various reviews online and did note that more recent reviews from women of color described the same issues I experienced. While I do plan to finish up my older Alterna products that I really do like (Bamboo shine spray and Caviar leave in), I will not be re-purchasing those because I fear the same reformulation issue. This was one of (if not the very worst) hair product experiences I have ever dealt with.

About reviewer (498 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Curly, Coarse

4 years ago

My hair is extremely coarse & thick, in addition to being slightly dry, color-treated, and heat-styled. I also just turned 40, so the anti-aging aspect appeals to me. I need color protection, moisture, and strength. I use this with the matching shampoo. First, the conditioner has a spectacular fragrance - like a mixture of blackberries & cardamom. It smells incredibly luxe & delicious. I do find that the Caviar shampoo can leave my hair feeling slightly dry/tangled, but this conditioner works wonders & you need very little (a little goes a long way). It has a lot of slip, is moisturizing and detangles. It leaves my hair sleek, smooth & shiny. This is pretty pricey, but a little does go a long way. I would probably repurchase this.

About reviewer (512 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

4 years ago

I enjoyed using this conditioner. It was buttery, smelled great (like cardamom) and left my hair feeling silky. However, I don't think it's anything special. Cons: the bottle is really stiff and it can be tough to turn the lid and squeeze out product when you're all slippy in the shower. For $27, the packaging should be perfect and I think the product should be doled out a bit more generously. I used it with the corresponding shampoo, but likely won't be repurchasing either due to price. My hair is not that high maintenance!

About reviewer (283 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Curly, Fine

5 years ago

This product did not work for me. Not only did it not deliver the healthy shiny hair promised by the advertisements, it actually made my hair drier and duller.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

EyesBlue

5 years ago

This is my one and only luxury conditioner. Tried a lot of them and this is it for me, fits my current hair needs. Done buying, trying and wasting my $$$. Was going through a ton of shedding and this seems to curb it. Feels like butter on my hair, love the way my hair feels after rinsing. Alternate this baby with my other drugstore fav (One n Only Argan oil conditioner). I buy this conditioner, whenever my local beauty supply store does a 30% off deal. Please do try a sample from Sephora before buying the full size.

About reviewer (413 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Other, Other

EyesBlack

5 years ago

I enjoyed this conditioner, used in conjunction with the shampoo, but due to the price, do not plan to purchase.

About reviewer (364 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

5 years ago

My fine colored hair hates silicones, especially the cyclo cones -which is high on the list of ingredients in this conditioner. Why do I always fall for hype and buy these cone-filled conditioners? Just because it's expensive, doesn't make it any better. After using this, my hair was greasy, frizzy, and stringy. The look and feel of my hair was so raggedy that I needed to clarify the next day.( I rarely clarify because it can be drying.) If your hair loves strong silicones, give it a try. Actually, save your money. Just go to the drugstore and pick up any cheap dish because most of them have the cyclo cones, and this expensive conditioner was no different than them.

About reviewer (38 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Cool