Melvita Argan Oil

Melvita Argan Oil
Okay but not as good as the Neal's Yard version

3.6

on 6/25/2016 9:33:00 AM

I bought this oil for heat protection for my hair. My hair is oily at the roots and frizzy at the ends. Its a decent oil but somehow I'm not too fond of it. On the hair, I cant figure out how much is the right qty. It always make my hair either too greasy or doesn't help with the frizz at all. It make my hair very soft when I oiled it at night as a treatment but at 20 Euros its too expensive for an overnight treatment.

I tried it on my face and it didn't break me out, so thats a good thing, but you really have to massage it in hard to get it to absorb. It leaves a bit of a sheen which gets absorbed by morning, but if you don't massage it well, you will find it covering your entire face like a greasy film. As a spot treatment, i dab a drop on cystic acne and rub a little. It helps with the pain and heals them quite fast. That's what the three stars are for.

Hate the packaging, a dropper type bottle is the best because you can take as per your preference. This pump usually dispenses too much so I end up rubbing the extras on my elbows or knees. Its a waste really.

I read many reviews of different Argan oils and people said look for the amber bottled ones with a dropper. I have no negative feelings about this oil but none that are glowingly positive either. I will not repurchase.

on 5/29/2016 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've used rosehip oil for years but I'm quite new to argan oil. I've tried a few different brands. Melvita one although pricey is by far the best. I did some research prior to purchase and discovered that proper unrefined argan oil should be golden yellow, a bit cloudy with a nutty smell. This is exactly what Melvita Argan oil is (unlike some others I tried which were totally transparent, clear with no particular smell). This one is very well absorbed and leaves skin very soft and smooth. I put just a drop or two on top of rosehip oil and my skin loves it. Highly recommend!
EDIT: After about 7 days of using this oil on my face I developed contact dermatitis that has been taking well over three weeks to clear. It is really surprising that argan oil is recommended to treat eczema and rashes. Having conducted thorough research I discovered that many people react to argan oil. In fact many dermatologists state that reactions to argan oil are one of the primary reasons why they get new patients. I still strongly believe that this is one of the best argan oils around but if your skin is sensitive test it on a small patch first to see if this oil is suitable for your skin.

To Read all 12 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/25/2016 12:16:00 PM

I usually use Neal's Yard Argan Oil for my night time moisturiser, but couldn't get any recently so bought this one instead. As Argan oils go it's okay, but for me it doesn't rival the Neal's Yard version at all. This has a very distinct scent which the Neal's Yard version doesn't have, and once it's warmed up on my face, it takes much longer to work in to my skin. In addition, I've noticed it still lingering in patches on my face in the morning, suggesting it's not sinking in as well as it perhaps could.

On a plus note, it's reasonably priced - £20.00 for 50ml (which is good for Argan oil) - and it's never made my skin react. The pump action glass bottle is also very good quality and dispenses just the right amount of product, but for me it's just not as good as the Neal's Yard version, which is what I'll be going back to once this is finished with.

on 5/31/2015 9:20:00 PM

I had bad experience using melvita argan product..... i try this one and new pimple appear... still wanted to try argan and bought melvita argan plus the new one they release and guess what the bootle was really inconvenient since u really need to make sure the cap is tightly close if not turn out like me, it's emptied after my first applied.... since i always travel and on rush, did close the cap but not really checking if it really tightly closed.... felt frustrated i try josie maran light argan oil... and it really works for me and i'm loving it no new pimple appear and it really absorb into skin....

on 10/13/2014 8:54:00 AM

Clogged my pores, gave me pimples and made my face very oily. I then used it on my neck and chest and gave me small bumps on my chest. This oil Works for many people but it is just not for me.

on 1/17/2013 4:13:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

great oil, absorb very well. i think it is good for scarring and has good nutrient, it doesnt smell anything which is great. its good for normal to oily skin type, my skin is too dry and this is not enough.

on 7/24/2012 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I started using Argan oil about 2-3 months ago, and i dont think i'll ever stop. I have medium-dark skin, with a fairly oily t-zone, comfortable cheeks and a monthly breakout. My skin has improved with the use of argan oil, especially my acne scars. I have also found that argan oil has helped speed up the healing process after a breakout has occurred. I use argan oil on my cheeks after washing in the morning (i think it adds a healthy glow) and i use argan oil all over my face at night, usually in replacement of a serum. I know argan oil has helped my skin because i recently just ran out and my scars have been more noticeable, as well as a new scar is healing alot slower than before when i was using argan oil everyday. If you want to try argan oil, do not go and spend $50 on a bottle of Josie Maran. I bought a regular argan oil (no brand name) from ebay and have had amazing results. Argan oil is also great for your hair. I havent used it in shampoo yet (i use a drop of castor oil instead), but i do put a tiny drop in my palms and run it through the ends of my hair before styling.

on 7/12/2012 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i love argan oil. i started using it a couple years ago as my only moisturizer and will never go back. it's simple, clean, effective and does not make me break out. i have sensitive, acne prone skin that can get dry or have strange reactions to various moisturizers.
(in fact, i tested an old moisturizer i used to use ages ago (an organic, unscented one) after using argan for a year or so and it was awful. felt awful, didn't seem to really moisturize and made my skin go dry and flakey. would never go back to a "cream" again or anything "oil free.")
i get all types of acne in phases that i can't ever quite figure out. but argan has been a steady companion and i don't believe it causes any of my skin issues, only helps. it also doesn't react to any other treatments or make up which is really helpful. argan is the best thing i have found to keep my skin soft but not greasy. it's pricey but i literally use 2 drops in the morning and 2 drops at night. a bottle lasts ages.
as for this brand, it's ok. i find it a bit more "oily" than other brands for some reason. but it doesn't seem to act any differently so it's not a big deal.
the main problem for me is that the oil seems to creep up the tube in warm weather and leak...! i have no idea how this happens, but i noticed it on several occasions.

A great, amazing oil. It moisturises body very well, providing excellent hydration and leaving it baby soft. Even though it is an oil, it absorbs EASILY, leaving no traces, so you can get dressed fast. I really love it and it is one of my favourite products from Melvita. It does smell like olive, but I find that Argan oil generally smells like that. A must buy for me all year round.

on 11/9/2011 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

UPDATE (2013-07): not used in ages, and to be honest, not missed it. Been using meadowfoam seed oil on face and (virgin) coconut oil on hair (on dry hair, left on for 1 hour before regular wash & condition). Both are cheaper, and work at least as But: definitely one (of the many, many, many) plant-derived oils that are worth trying: YMMV as ever; many like it; who knows, you might be another.

Yes, argan oil is fashionable and faddy. It's an oil. It'll moisturise. As with all oils, and anything else, YMMV. A lightweight oil, light yellow-gold colour with a slight earthy smell. Similar viscosity, texture, fluidity, feel to oils like sunflower or mineral; not as light or dry as grapeseed, nor as heavy as almond, let alone olive. Features good (in human skin terms) balance of fatty acids and high doses of antioxidants. Melvita has some of the best packaging: a pump-top rather than squeezy dropper; while not completely sealed, it's airtight, vs. removing the top every time.

QUICK PROS
Does the job of moisturising, without irritation or clogging (YMMV). Good on hair. No clogging or irritation.

QUICK CONS
There are some serious rip-off merchants out there. List of sample prices at end of review. I tested out samples of some cheap ones and some expensive ones; Melvita is around the middle of the price-range. Aside from slight differences in immediate smell--which fade rapidly--the results on skin and hair have been the same. Testing period: nearly 4 months (mid-July to early November).

USE ON SKIN:
Moisturises, but other (cheaper) oils work as well. If other oils haven't worked for you, worth adding to your list of things to try.
1. Used on top of rosehip seed oil, on any drier patches of skin.

2. Tested out on some minor eczema (stress, work, the usual boring causes): calmed well and moisturised. I used the oil alone, and I also used it under my usual stage 1 eczema stuff (A-Derma): works better than that cream on its own.

USE ON HAIR:
1. Pre-shampoo oil treatment: no difference in results, compared to using other oils. As it's quite a thin dry oil and I have long fine thick hair, economically unviable. Preferred oils for this: the ones that actually do something useful to hair: avocado, jojoba, olive (coconut works too, but not good on my scalp and neck). But all of these (except jojoba) are too heavy to use on my hair, cos it's fine; though fine as hair-product ingredients, in moderation. But: argan mixed with olive, jojoba, or avocado works very nicely. Also, cheaper than argan alone.

2. 1-2 drops mixed with conditioner: great: either as a pre-wash (for the condition-wash-condition method, on long hair) or when conditioning or both.

3. A tiny drop just applied to the very ends of towel-dried hair, before usual styling product. From trial and error, I've figured out that on this hair anyway that has to be the minutest of teeny droplets; any more and hair greases up. I'd tried this before with other oils, and even the lightest of those that do actually do anything to hair were too heavy and greasebally. Argan or the argan/olive mix has a better finish on my (fine) hair; lighter, finer, more fluid. Bonus: I've needed less and less de-frizz stuff afterwards. Now using none: argan alone, or the argan mix, defrizzes. I leave hair to dry naturally, and it's naturally slightly wavy with some tendencies to frizz. There's been noticeably less of that. Which means saving money on my expensive anti-frizz stuff.

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR
Avoid being ripped off: ALL argan oil is sustainably-produced, organic, hand-crafted, and fair-trade. The trees only grow in a certain area of Morocco, protected by UNESCO biosphere mandate. The nuts are gathered and processed, and the oil produced and sold on, by Moroccan women's cooperatives (with UNESCO, EU, and SDA support). They have a global monopoly. All the bigger western companies selling argan oil and argan oil-based products buy their oil from these cooperatives, c/o the intermediary of a small number of brokers and shippers. Except for a few small companies--mainly Moroccan and French + some US wholesalers--buying straight from the coops, skipping the intermediate stage and buying cheaper as more directly. In all cases: there's a markup along the way.

SOME PRICES:
In order of price per ounce. All prices are in USD: CAD tend to be higher (ex. JMO, where USD38.00 somehow works out as CAD50.00) + shipping.

Majestic Mountain Sage: $8.45/4 oz, $15.60/8 oz, $26.00/16 oz = $1.65-2.11 / oz

Mountain Rose Herbs: $17.00/4 oz, $29.00/8 oz, $49.00/16 oz = $3.06-4.25 / oz

Lotioncrafter: $9.20/1 oz, $15.95/2 oz, $27.60/4 oz, $47.60/8 oz = $5.95-9.20 / oz

Argan Oil and More: $9.99/1 oz, $17.99/2 oz, $28.99/4 oz, $54.99/8 oz = $6.87-9.99 / oz

Garden of Wisdom: $8.20/1 oz, $60.50/8 oz. = $7.56-8.20 / oz

Argana / Argan Oil Direct: $13.10/1.18 oz, $22.93/70 ml, $22.87/85 ml eco-refill, $39.32/140 ml = $6.42-11.34 / oz

MUAC: $10.00/1 oz, $32.00/4.5 oz = $7.11-10.00 / oz