Farouk CHI Biosilk Flat Iron

Farouk CHI Biosilk Flat Iron
my hair curled w/biosilk straightener

3.5

on 12/25/2012 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This iron is okay.... (Sign)! I mean the only reason I bought this iron is because my Babyliss Iron broke .Since I straightn my hair everyday I needed something temporary and this may be a good temporary iron .No ladies this is not an iron you want for the long run . It is simply not that good unless you love that burnt smell with a side of crispy hair. I honestly wouldn't even buy it again ,no wonder it was on sale. Hope I was helpful

I loved this product, until mine just broke after 4 years I got it going into 5th grade and have used it until I was going into 9th grade this year. It was great it did everything I wanted a straightener to do I used it mainly to curl my hair, because my hair is already curly but curls don't form lke I like them to, so by now I had perfected my techniques and could straighten my hair in 5 minutes and then curl it in another 5 minutes so it took like 5-10 minutes to style my hair and my hair is thick frizzy curly unruly. Now the only downside was twoards the end of eighth grade it wouldn't turn on unless I twirled the swilvel cord to exactly the right position, which was unpleasant but I could deal with it and it started to take longer to heat up. Then one day it started sparking and I ignored it and remained to do my hair with it.. Teens are very rebellious and will remain to try to do their hair without thinking of consequences..... So one day it exploded and I had to see my 80 investment go in the garbage and I think that was a really sad day now I'm tryinbg to manage my hair and amreally upset especially with my bangs. I noticed before I threw it away that their was a hole in the chord hich I figured out was because I didnt wrap the cord up properly and that was where all of my problems come from long story short don't trust teens to take care of a flatiron and have it last b/c we don"T know how to take care of our stuff. Otherwise this flatiron was great and I think I will buy it again.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Extremely disappointed in this straightener. I decided to go with a straightener made by Farouk CHI because I've heard so many good things about how long they last and how well they work. I literally have only used it two times, once when I first got it and then months later to curl my hair. I tried to use it yesterday to curl my hair and the red light wouldn't turn on. I tried reseting it, moving to a different outlet and it's broken. I had to use my drugstore straightener (which I've had for four years and still works like a charm). I am very disappointed with this straightener and I will never shell out that much money to this company again.

on 6/15/2010 12:18:00 PM

Before I purchased this flat iron I read the reviews and I was convinced I'd love it, but I'm disappointed! My hair is thin and hardly difficult, but this did the same as any other drugstore flat iron. And like another review, my flat iron didn't clamp down all the way which is no good for thin hair like mine. It is a nice looking flat iron tho!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this hair straightener with high hopes because I had seen numerous good reviews for it, and it is made by the same designer as the CHI flat irons, Farouk. Unfortunately, it isn't as great as I thought it would be.

Features:

•Generates more ions than traditional irons

•Tourmaline and Ceramic technology

•Seals the cuticle and repels humidity

•Ergonomically balanced

•Instant heat for quick styling (Less than 30 seconds to heat up!)

•Adjustable temperature control 180 - 420 degress F

•Multiple styling abilities with one tool

Pros:

-The temperature setting for this one because it's on the side of the flat iron, not inside, so I don't have to worry about accidentally burning myself when I change the temperature.

-I was surprised at how fast this flat iron could heat up! It seemed like a mere 15 seconds had passed after I plugged it in and turned it on, and it burned me when I touched to see if it was warm. Be careful!
-Compared to my last flat iron, the Fahrenheit one, this Biosilk hair straightener is lightweight. I'd say, the lighter a flat iron is, the better because it allows you to do your hair faster and more efficiently.

-Like the Fahrenheit flat iron, it has a swivel cord so that you can curl your hair with it, and the cord won't get in the way.

-I like the sleek feel to this; the edges are rounded and the outside is all smooth, and it just looks nice (=

Cons:

-Within 45 seconds or so, I know it has heated up because I can SMELL it. It smells like something is burning, and I know it's not just this flat iron in particular, because I tried out my friend's CHI and it smells the same. I guess Farouk just likes the aroma of burning flat iron.

-My flat iron was probably defective, which was why it was on sale, beause its plates don't close properly. There is a gap between them when it closes, so it doesn't clasp my hair well. Mine is not the only one that does this; I read a couple reviews in which people have the same problem, so make sure to look for these problems when you are purchasing a flat iron!

-I'm not sure if this is due to the plate deficiencies, or it's just the insufficiency of the flat iron, but my straight hair does not last very long. With the Fahrenheit hair straightener, my hair remains straight for as long as I don't wash it. On the other hand, this Biosilk one doesn't even last me a school day, which was a huge disappointment for me.

Visit www.thatswhatcindysaid.blogspot.com for more

on 4/9/2010 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I absolutely love this iron. I have wavy to straight hair and it frizzes in the NY humidity, unless I use this. I also have a lot of trouble curling my hair, nothing worked UNTIL THIS!

I was looking into buying a CHI but I could not spend about 100 dollars on a hair straightener. My hair stylist uses a CHI on my hair when I get my hair done there and I really wanted one but just couldn't do it.

I tried a WIGO, that didn't work at all. I tried this cheap conair that was awful. I tried Revlon that didn't work. Then I saw this. It has temperature controls and it was by Farouk, the makers of CHI. At Ulta you can see the products out and it is exactly like the CHI but it comes in Blue (they have it in Black on amazon.com) and it has a temperature controls. I need the temperature control because I have very thin damaged hair so it was a plus and IT'S LESS THAN THE CHI! I probably would have bought a CHI even with the high price but I need temperature controls and CHI doesn't have that. The CHI my hair dresser uses is even more expensive and has temperature controls and this red stuff on it. I couldn't see myself buying that and spending that much.

If you like CHI or are just looking for a great affordable hair straightener look for this. It ususally comes in blue but they have it in black some places.

ALSO I don't know if anyone else noticed but the red plates get darker as it heats up and I think that shows that it has REAL ceramic plates and that's why it works so well for me. A lot of hair straighteners say they are ceramic and are not. This is REAL CERAMIC!

I got this at Marshall's for $40 and it is the best purchase I have ever made. My hair is usally curly and after one pass is silky and straight. It is also humid today and it hasn't puffed out. The real test will be when I go to the gym and sweat. Well update but this is made by the same people as CHI so I think I found a gem!
Update- 1/26/13
I still use this when I decide to straiten my hair. It's the only iron I own at this point. The only downfall is that sometimes it catches my hair and pulls a stand out. That being said, my hair has been thinning in the last year from my hypothyroidism. I still love this iron though. I set it at about 300 degrees and it works as well as any high end iron I've ever used.
PS- I forgot to add that you have to use product in your hair before using this. I use Farouck CHI Silk Infusion and that combined with the BIosilk iron is how I achieved frizz free hair in humid weather.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

i bought this as a spare to keep at my boyfriend's house because i didn't want to splurge on another CHI and i ended up bringing it home and leaving the CHI there because i like this even better than the CHI!!!! It's made by the makers of CHI, so of couse it's going to be a good product. this also costs less than the CHI (and i got mine for only $60 at Ulta), probably because the body is made out of cheap plastic, but that doesn't bother me because that makes it lighter and easier to maneuver. also, this iron has temperature control, so you're not constantly playing with the power switch like with the CHI.

Popular Hair Styling Tools