Turmeric Mask

Turmeric mask

4.4

Turmeric Powder

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have no problem with throwing money away on expensive beauty products, but this is the most effective mask I've ever tried, at any price point. I have used it for years, but I tend to only use it when required. My skin is oily and clog-prone. I don't really have acne but I get occasional spots and I have a skin picking disorder that flares up when I'm stressed. This mask immediately tackles inflamed skin, calming it down, healing wounds, diminishing spots and fading acne scars. My skin just feels more even, balanced and healthier after this.
The mask I use is roughly equal parts turmeric, full fat Greek yoghurt and honey. I leave it on for around an hour or however long I can be bothered. I then remove it with a wet wipe soaked in extra water. I have light-medium skin and this mask does temporarily stain it, but I feel like the stain helps skin heal more, and when I wash my face the next morning the stain goes away. This does stain clothes, bedsheets and towels so it's helpful to have dark ones.
In the periods where my skin picking disorder gets out of control I find it's also helpful to put a mix of honey and turmeric on the areas I am likely to find myself scratching. This can be left on for many hours and it's calming, healing and physically prevents me from touching those areas.
I tried taking turmeric internally a couple of years ago and felt it helped my skin heal quicker, but the effect was subtle so I'm not sure if this was just placebo.
Someone here also mentioned that turmeric reduces facial hair growth. I'm not sure to what extent it does this, but I seem to notice the hairs on my upper lip less when I'm using the turmeric mask.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Stained my face yellow,because i accidentally left it on too long.Other than that i don't see it doing much to my skin,oh well.Nah not a believer of natural ingredients and its long healing period,i'm just an impatient human!Never believed it could magically disappear scars~

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This burnt my skin horribly, probably the most intense reaction to a product I've ever had! Luckily, I only used it on my forehead and the burning sensation calmed within a few hours thankfully.

on 11/6/2016 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

1 tsp powdered turmeric mixed with 3 T plain yogurt, mix well and store in the fridge. Makes enough for about 4 masks. I am loving it! I saw the "recipe" in a magazine and thought I'd try it. I apply a fairly thick amount and leave it on for 20-30 minutes before rinsing with warm water. I use witch hazel on a cotton ball after to remove residual yellow from the turmeric, but my skin feels so good after a treatment. It's helpful in calming down any acne and makes your skin feel smooth! Definitely worth trying, ladies!

on 9/4/2016 1:47:00 AM

I was hesitant to put turmeric and honey together coz it might break me out. I have oily and acne prone skin so I tend to avoid something that might irritate it. It was easy to use but removing the tint caused by the turmeric is hard so I don't even try anymore. 2 days after, no zits! I use this once or twice a month.

on 8/8/2016 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

If you are combating acne, try turmeric mask. It works! I have dry, sensitive skin and get 1-2 pimples a month. I mix 1/2 a teaspoon with a little bit of water to make a paste. Apply it on my problem areas and wait for about 15-20 minutes. After that, I use an oil cleanser to massage the dry turmeric off my skin. It serves as a nice gentle exfoliant too. It shrinks any acne that is threatening to form within 2 days of applying this. And I've found oil cleansing removes the yellow stain from my skin as well. I love this mask and wouldn't be without it!

on 4/11/2016 5:44:00 PM

Too much staining. I have fair skin. I would try the kasturi, wild turmeric which is supposed to stain less. But the supermarket turmeric is no good. The effort involved in removing the stains is too stripping for my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I'm of mixed ethnicity (hapa or asian/white) and have yellow toned skin that's always been hard to match. For years now, I've been mixing a tiny bit of organic turmeric with my liquid mineral foundation (Illuminare), which is a foundation that is notoriously thick and opaque, to make it better match my skin tone and i LOVE IT for that.

Whenever i use other foundations or additional concealer i usually do the same thing, cause it just works well for me. You have to be careful about blending it if you're going to use it in your makeup though (i'd also suggest only using organic on your face).

I have never used this topically as a treatment for anything and don't really suggest it cause i don't believe it does much topically other than stain you yellow, but another thing I love about turmeric is it's REALLY good to take internally for inflammation.

I used to have chronic cystic acne (still get it occasionally) and i often had way more success treating it internally than topically. By that i just mean, i basically ate more of an anti-inflammation diet and took supplements to combat inflammation (still do, actually). I used to consume large amounts of turmeric in my omelets and mixed it in hummus to stave off the inflammation and it definitely made a difference (I still eat it all the time, just not a teaspoon at a time anymore). FYI it stains your teeth temporarily.

on 5/11/2016 1:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

My skin: dehydrated - oily - combination/ACNE prone/ irritable/ PIH & hormonal pigmentation.

I rarely do masks, I really like the me time and I think they are beneficial. Only I forget to do them beyond leaving my clay based cleanser on for a minute at the end of the day.

This ingredient comes up so much for its anti inflammatory, anti bacterial and reduction of excess melanin in the skin. So one day I thought I would give it a go. As I like to mix things up, I thought I would add other things to it to cover all bases, mostly hydration. So with powdered amla, neem, coconut milk and raw honey, turmeric was my main ingredient. I mixed with a little water and left it to marinate for a while ( a couple of hours as I forgot about it). I cleansed and dried my face and applied the mask with my fingers, I made sure to wear a disposable glove as this stuff stains. I left it on until it dried, not hard but it did go tight.

Washing off was cumbersome and I would advise doing it in the shower to save any drips.

Results: My face was slimmer! Not that I noticed I had a puffy face before, but my cheek bones were more prominent.
I had a couple of under skin pimples and they were greatly reduced in redness and size.
My skin looked brighter, with a healthy glow.
My skin felt hydrated not tight.
No irritation or even a tingle.

Wow. I was so pleased I immediately made up the dry ingredients to do it again the next day. Mistake. The slimming effect wasn't so pronounced as I still had slight results from the previous day, my pimples were already disappearing so the anti inflammatory response wasn't needed as much. I had made myself look jaundiced! A little to much yellow.

Conclusions: With my yellow/golden undertones this makes a great 'flash' mask. It takes out the inflammation from my skin and any redness. It tones. It reduces spots. It brightens. My skin tone looks better. All from my kitchen (apart from the amla which is stored with my alchemy stash). For me this has worked better than any flash balm/mask (Clarins did not a lot apart from make my face super shiny) I've used. These results last for 24hrs, apart from the spot size/intensity reduction. HOWEVER I can use this once or twice a wk. Otherwise I look ill!

There is the rub, I forget to do it so I can't comment on longterm consistent use. Now I am tapping this review out I will do it today. As a flash mask to slim, even tone and reduce inflammation, it has been a confidence saver as I recently reacted to some base make up (my fault trying to go cheap, bleh) so can't use. I used it before a date recently and I just looked healthy.

My overall skin tone has improved, but I can't afford it totally to the mask, as I have used other products to assist with this ( rhassoul clay cleanser/amla infused jojoba oil/raw honey masks/rosehip seed oil/ liquorice root powder and extract and best of all SPF 50 pa++++)

Of course, I would buy this again as I cook with it!

on 4/20/2016 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Ok well firstly, I've used turmeric on and off for the last 5 years both internally and externally. I tried drinking a tspn a day to help my acne as it works as a liver detox and blood purifier but I don't think I stuck with it long enough to see a difference. I've tried it as a mask with various other ingredients such as honey, lemon, tea tree oil etc as turmeric is anti inflammatory and is supposed to help with breakouts and fading acne hyperpigmentation. Now here's what I think- it's a nice mask and does somewhat help fade acne scars but I've not found it to be miraculous in that sense BUT the reason I'm giving it such a high rating is because it is AMAZING for those blind pimples that hurt so much, I had a cystic type spot on my chin and I put a blob of Manuka honey (the best for cysts) and some turmeric on it and after trying everything to bring the pain down, an hour of the turmeric completely reduced and then eliminated the pain and swelling! This was amazing to me and although the turmeric it's self didn't get rid of the spot, the honey did the most work but the pain was gone and I'm pretty certain it's due to the anti inflammatory properties of the turmeric. So if you ever have a painful pimple, dab on some turmeric and voila! Your very own pain killer!

Popular Face Skincare Products