Turmeric Mask

Turmeric Mask

4.5

Turmeric Powder

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I'm of mixed ethnicity (hapa or asian/white) and have yellow toned skin that's always been hard to match. For years now, I've been mixing a tiny bit of organic turmeric with my liquid mineral foundation (Illuminare), which is a foundation that is notoriously thick and opaque, to make it better match my skin tone and i LOVE IT for that.

Whenever i use other foundations or additional concealer i usually do the same thing, cause it just works well for me. You have to be careful about blending it if you're going to use it in your makeup though (i'd also suggest only using organic on your face).

I have never used this topically as a treatment for anything and don't really suggest it cause i don't believe it does much topically other than stain you yellow, but another thing I love about turmeric is it's REALLY good to take internally for inflammation.

I used to have chronic cystic acne (still get it occasionally) and i often had way more success treating it internally than topically. By that i just mean, i basically ate more of an anti-inflammation diet and took supplements to combat inflammation (still do, actually). I used to consume large amounts of turmeric in my omelets and mixed it in hummus to stave off the inflammation and it definitely made a difference (I still eat it all the time, just not a teaspoon at a time anymore). FYI it stains your teeth temporarily.

on 5/11/2016 1:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

My skin: dehydrated - oily - combination/ACNE prone/ irritable/ PIH & hormonal pigmentation.

I rarely do masks, I really like the me time and I think they are beneficial. Only I forget to do them beyond leaving my clay based cleanser on for a minute at the end of the day.

This ingredient comes up so much for its anti inflammatory, anti bacterial and reduction of excess melanin in the skin. So one day I thought I would give it a go. As I like to mix things up, I thought I would add other things to it to cover all bases, mostly hydration. So with powdered amla, neem, coconut milk and raw honey, turmeric was my main ingredient. I mixed with a little water and left it to marinate for a while ( a couple of hours as I forgot about it). I cleansed and dried my face and applied the mask with my fingers, I made sure to wear a disposable glove as this stuff stains. I left it on until it dried, not hard but it did go tight.

Washing off was cumbersome and I would advise doing it in the shower to save any drips.

Results: My face was slimmer! Not that I noticed I had a puffy face before, but my cheek bones were more prominent.
I had a couple of under skin pimples and they were greatly reduced in redness and size.
My skin looked brighter, with a healthy glow.
My skin felt hydrated not tight.
No irritation or even a tingle.

Wow. I was so pleased I immediately made up the dry ingredients to do it again the next day. Mistake. The slimming effect wasn't so pronounced as I still had slight results from the previous day, my pimples were already disappearing so the anti inflammatory response wasn't needed as much. I had made myself look jaundiced! A little to much yellow.

Conclusions: With my yellow/golden undertones this makes a great 'flash' mask. It takes out the inflammation from my skin and any redness. It tones. It reduces spots. It brightens. My skin tone looks better. All from my kitchen (apart from the amla which is stored with my alchemy stash). For me this has worked better than any flash balm/mask (Clarins did not a lot apart from make my face super shiny) I've used. These results last for 24hrs, apart from the spot size/intensity reduction. HOWEVER I can use this once or twice a wk. Otherwise I look ill!

There is the rub, I forget to do it so I can't comment on longterm consistent use. Now I am tapping this review out I will do it today. As a flash mask to slim, even tone and reduce inflammation, it has been a confidence saver as I recently reacted to some base make up (my fault trying to go cheap, bleh) so can't use. I used it before a date recently and I just looked healthy.

My overall skin tone has improved, but I can't afford it totally to the mask, as I have used other products to assist with this ( rhassoul clay cleanser/amla infused jojoba oil/raw honey masks/rosehip seed oil/ liquorice root powder and extract and best of all SPF 50 pa++++)

Of course, I would buy this again as I cook with it!

To Read all 211 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/20/2016 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Ok well firstly, I've used turmeric on and off for the last 5 years both internally and externally. I tried drinking a tspn a day to help my acne as it works as a liver detox and blood purifier but I don't think I stuck with it long enough to see a difference. I've tried it as a mask with various other ingredients such as honey, lemon, tea tree oil etc as turmeric is anti inflammatory and is supposed to help with breakouts and fading acne hyperpigmentation. Now here's what I think- it's a nice mask and does somewhat help fade acne scars but I've not found it to be miraculous in that sense BUT the reason I'm giving it such a high rating is because it is AMAZING for those blind pimples that hurt so much, I had a cystic type spot on my chin and I put a blob of Manuka honey (the best for cysts) and some turmeric on it and after trying everything to bring the pain down, an hour of the turmeric completely reduced and then eliminated the pain and swelling! This was amazing to me and although the turmeric it's self didn't get rid of the spot, the honey did the most work but the pain was gone and I'm pretty certain it's due to the anti inflammatory properties of the turmeric. So if you ever have a painful pimple, dab on some turmeric and voila! Your very own pain killer!

on 4/11/2016 5:44:00 PM

Too much staining. I have fair skin. I would try the kasturi, wild turmeric which is supposed to stain less. But the supermarket turmeric is no good. The effort involved in removing the stains is too stripping for my skin.

I have a olive dry combination skin that is very tricky and full of blackheads. My other problem was brown spots, I used uv perfect by L'oreal which is amazing but did not fade the spots. I started doing a turmeric facial every Sunday, with orange peel scrub, followed by turmeric in Indian whole milk yogurt. I follow it with a soap and then apply cold aloegel for a toner. It has reduced the spots and one of the spot has disappeared.

on 3/27/2016 4:30:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

I use turmeric mixed with macadamia or grapeseed oil. I use a pop top bottle and keep it in my shower. I use it once or twice a week, results is slightly lightened skin soft skin.

It does make a mess, drives my partner up the wall

on 3/20/2016 7:57:00 PM

Omg - I spent hours this evening reading the reviews, came 10pm I rummaged through the kitchen stores and found

Of course the key ingredient: turmeric
Rice powder
Honey
Extra olive oil
Mixed bits of everything to make a not too runny paste and slapped it on!

40mins later plus 20mins of washing off with plain water followed with a rose water toner then with milk due to staining.
..my skin has some yellow tone so I wasn't too worried about staining - stupidly thinking it would give me a nice Mediterranean golden glow - the truth was I looked like Lisa Simpson. Hence the 20mins to de-stain.

But it was worth the trouble hence I'm on here to spread the word. I have skin as soft as a baby's bottom! Can't stop stroking my face!
I recently had a retinol treatment which left me with aggravated angry skin with fine lines enlarged pores (orange peel texture) and since I have been spending my life savings on expensive skincare remedies to no avail ..but this spice I normally use for curries and as cheap as chips has magically reduced my pores and fine lines by 50%! It's also evened out my skin tone and reduced the redness.
My flat mate even asked whether I had makeup on.

I will definitely repeat tomorrow and days to come - will try it with yoghurt (hoping it will stain less)

Urge you to try this! Btw I have sensitive skin but no acne.

I'm acne prone, oily skin and have acne scars. I've been switching from one product to another since my teenage years. I've tried this home made turmeric mask, I mix it with 2 parts rice flour, mix together with small amount of water or milk.
Pros:
It gives me dewy, glowing and brightening effect on my skin.
it's cheap
natural

Cons
It leaves yellow stain on skin (but temporary)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

So I have tried turmeric many times and I have confirmed that it breaks me out, I have acne prone sensitive skin so if you have a similar skin type I wouldn't recommend this, as much as I wanted to love it I can't. It created red pimples, some were white heads and some were cysts that took around 5 days to clear up, it does lighten scars a bit but it results in more pimples for me which will then create more acne scars/marks so I will no longer use this as a face mask HOWEVER turmeric taken internally is amazing seriously I take turmeric capsules and it has completely got rid of my hormonal acne around my jawline and chin which is a miracle for me!! I recommend consuming turmeric internally either from the powder or capsules each day, I take 2 in the morning and two at night! I hope this helps someone out there

Hey guys... So I've been using turmeric mask on places where I have pimples or marks, since 4 days... So far I like it... It helped me get rid of my clogged pores.... Also helped me with my acne marks... Didn't do much for my scars... But obviously its been just 4 days so I'll have to wait more.... Anyways... The only problem with me is dat... It turned some of my clogged pores into pimples... Idk y dat happened... I wont assume dat it gave me a breakout.... But may be it inflamed them.... Idk... Because turmeric is anti inflammatory.... Anyways... Hope uh get good results too... :D

Popular Face Skincare Products