Ardell Red Gold Color Corrector

Ardell Red Gold Color Corrector

3.2

on 8/16/2017 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

No just no. They have DEFINITELY changed the formula of this in the last few years. It used to turn your dye/bleach/conditioner whatever PURPLE - the color that actually knocks out the yellow. So imagine my surprise when a bleach session left my hair orange and I used my failsafe L'Oréal preference high lift ash blonde to cure it, my fatal mistake dumping in a bunch of this that I got in the bottle, and it turned HOT PINK. Against my gut, they must know what they're doing I said, and I wasn't about to buy more dye at 11:30 pm (although I've been known to do so), I applied and left on for 50 min. To add extreme insult to injury, not only did my hair not go ashier, IT TURNED PINK. I am soooo mad. I bought it so long ago no one at Sallys would have any record. I'm considering contacting the manufacturer as I simply cannot be the only one this has happened to. Save your money and buy wella 050 cooling violet additive to add a few capfuls for very ashy tones. It WORKS. Heck, NOTHING works better!!! I sit here with shimmer lights conditioner thickly coating my hair to try for some damage control :/

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I did a strand test with only bleach and one with a few drops of this, left them both on for the same amount of time and sure enough the bleach only side was orange compared to the other side which was more blonde. Still had a little yellow/brass I would say can probably be toned with the purple shampoo, so I say that this does definitely help quite a bit.

I bought a packet of this in 2013, but didn't use it because I was freaked out by some of the 1 lippie reviews on MUA. I have been dying my hair from medium brown to light ash blonde for over a year and a half now. I currently do my roots every six weeks, and then typically tone with a mixture of Wella Color Charm T18 and T14 about a week later. I could tone the same day I do my roots I suppose, but I like to give my hair a bit of a break from the processing. The downside of that is that for that week between when I've done my roots and when I tone, I am stuck with bright gold hair.
Yesterday I desperately needed to do my roots, but I had to go to a party in the evening and really didn't want gold hair for it. I decided to take the plunge and dug up the packet of Ardell Red Gold Color Corrector, and put the entire contents into the dye mixture for my roots (half a tube each of Ion Color Brilliance gel in 10V and 8V, mixed 1:1 with 40 vol. developer), applied it, and left it in for 40 minutes.
Well, I only wish I had tried the Ardell Red Gold Color Corrector sooner, and that I had bought more of it! By the time my hair dried, I was pleased as punch with the tone. It's not completely ash, but it did a pretty darn good job of toning down the gold. Anything that makes my hair a bit more tolerable before toning has a welcome place in my routine. Next time I go to Sally's I will be picking up more of this stuff!

on 6/7/2014 2:00:00 AM

For the first and most recent time of bleaching my own hair, I purchased this due to being told that it was a necessity in the at-home brown-to-blonde process. I mixed it in with my toner (Wella Color Charm T18 and 20 vol) a few drops a time.. and somehow between mixing and stirring lost count. I believe I had somewhere around 30 drops to one bottle of toner/2 parts developer. I said screw it, and brushed it onto my head. I couldn't help but notice it turned the mixture REALLY purple, and my new platinum hair pretty purple as well. I panicked and added a few more drops after noticed I still had a lot of gold/orange throughout my hair. At 20 minutes I was eager to wash it out, as i was scared shitless that my hair was doomed to stay purple.

It turned out pretty good, no more RED-orange in my hair and everything was balanced out due to the toner. I just have trouble differentiating if it was the toner or this that did most of the work.

You get a decent amount if you buy the bottle. Just dont make a mistake in calculating the amount of drops you need, or god forbid miscounting. Several washes later my hair is now a tiny bit brassy- but I probably used too little due to my first time jitters. I'm curious if there's anything out there that works better than this. But it does the job.

on 5/14/2014 10:14:00 AM

I use this every single time I dye my hair, which is approximately once a month. I add 60 drops of the Corrector to a total of 4 oz. of color: Wella Color Charm in Lightest Ash Blonde with Ion Level 10 developer to bump my light-medium brown base to a medium-dark ash blonde. I keep the color on my roots and throughout all of my hair for a total of 10 minutes. "Bumping the base" is the best way for me to achieve a medium-dark blonde base without really pulling a ton of brass. Other reviewers are correct in the fact that it does turn the dye a hot pink color, however, I'm convinced it does help tone down brass. I am very prone to pulling brassy tones whenever I lighten my hair - the banes of being blonde. The next step for me is to add this corrector to my shampoo/conditioner, because as the weeks pass by my hair will start to develop some brassy tones. I'm hoping to use this as an in-between color brass eliminator or reducer. Logically it makes sense that it would work, so I'll give it a try and add to the review later.

I have a natural dark blond hair with some strawberry tones to it and I have been dying it light blonde for a while, but for the last 8 months I grew out my hair (half natural/ half yellowish blonde) and I decided to dye it a light ash blonde (9A 102 from nice n easy) because I like the grey/silver look...my natural roots turned ORANGE! The rest of my hair was perfect. I read some reviews and decided to buy Ardell red gold correcting plus packs(3 of them) and added one pack to a thick conditioner like one of the reviews said...well it didn't really work. I also bought "purple shampoo" and it's helping but Im going to add another pack to the same hair dye I origianally used (nice n easy light ash blond 9A 102) to dye my roots again and see what happens, I will update the results!

UPDATE!
So a bought loreal brand box hair dye that matched the dye I used before (9A) I followed instructions and added my last pack of Ardell red gold corrector plus (1 whole pack) to the dye mix and mixed it all up. I just dyed my roots which were orange and left it in for 40 minutes(the instuctions said 25). I washed the dye out and washed my hair with purple shampoo blah blah long story short it worked and my roots are no longer bright orange! There's a little hint of orange in the light but I'm going to continue to use my purple shampoo. It blended well with the rest of my hair and I'm overall happy. I'm not sure how much this stuff will work for people with dark hair going blonde, but it helped with my yellow blonde hair to become ashy which is what I wanted others might think it's too ashy/ grey but that's what I wanted :)

on 10/15/2013 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Well this did a whole lot of nothing. I have naturally dark reddish brown hair that lifts well with regular hair color (no bleach), but it tends to pull very red due to my undertones. To counter this, I've been using ash colors when lifting, but thought this would give a boost, as my hair will go even more red in the weeks after a color job. Sun, heat styling, everything just makes the red come out more.

I bought the small bottle of this (instead of the packet), and I used even more droplets than recommended, because I know the red in my hair is a stubborn bitch. Instead of 15 droplets per ounce of color (or 30 for 2 oz), I used 40 for 2 ounces. In the shower, things looked promising. My ends looked more ashy and definitely less orangey.

However, imagine my surprise when I got out, towel-dried then blow-dried, and my hair was the exact same color, with the same level of red. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I only give it two lippies instead of one because it didn't do any damage. On a side note, I'm confused by the comments that the mixture was a warm color--hot pink is a cool color. It was definitely not orangey, coral, or anything in the warm tone. Turned the hair color straight up cool-toned hot pink.

on 4/22/2014 2:54:00 PM

I had great results with this today. I've been "messing" with my hair recently after hating a bad highlight job. I've used several toners with no luck. My hair has been way too orange for my liking. I've used Unred many times and have not seen any difference. I mixed the red gold corrector with a heavy conditioner and left it on for 10 minutes. My hair looks like a nice, normal shade of medium blonde.

Again, I've only used this once, and it could be a fluke, but for now I'm very happy.

on 1/25/2014 12:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My hair was super brassy after I tried ombre-ing it. Went over it with Loreal preference light ash brown. Still brassy, so I bought this and combined it with dark ash blonde and I finally got a nice, light brown with a ton less brassiness, so I believe it helped my hair. Will buy again.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Okay, so I've gone around full circle from doing my own hair to salons to back to doing my own hair -- which I've vowed I'd never do again! But after watching my stylist highlight my once again healthy hair, I couldn't resist it. She did perfect the first time, then came out too gold after. So I ran back to her to fix it. NO problem. Really sweet lady. Except I wanted MORE highlights..well..I took initiative. I have level 9 blonde with pale yellow highlights. And was hoping to match that. I used blond kit clairol and highlighted myself. One problem.. came out really BRASSY. So I went back to search reviews for a brass buster. And found this Ardell red gold corrector plus..Hmm little skeptical at first but reviews sounded good overall. So next batch of highlights I put Ardell red gold in the bleach. I used a smaller portion of stage 7 lightener with activator plus powder (came together in blond kit) and amazingly, my hair is not as brassy as the first time (that's why I didn't give it 5 stars). It could have been less brassy. But also I used a small portion for a small section. Anyway, it did work, however I will try more next time. FIY I used purple shampoo Schwarzkopf Bonacure color save silver shampoo and wala. Like magic the remaining brass vanished leaving me with beautiful gorgeous pale highlighted beach blonde hair. The shampoo is my next review!