Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve

Bobbi Brown longwear gel liner in black mauve
longwear gel liner in black mauveBobbi Brown Black Mauve e/lBobbi Brown Black Mauve ShimmerBlack Mauve hip Eggplant Magnetic Fieldslongwear gel liner in black mauve

4.3

This is the new gel liner that came out with the Mauve Palette. The color is hard to describe, but I'll try. It's a dark greyed plum shade with hints of shimmer. Softer than grey and black, cooler than brown. I can definitely see the plum when it's on.
Typical smooth application and long lasting. A great addition

I am a fan of BB gel eyeliners, as I find them more forgiving to work with than others. For reference, my favorite is Bronze Shimmer, and I am MAC NC30; Revlon Fresh Beige, dark eyes and hair. On me, Black Mauve is much more like a muted black/dark cool gray than anything resembling mauve. The shimmer is almost imperceptible, unlike Bronze Shimmer, which is a true shimmer. This is a very pretty understated neutral eyeliner, but nothing special. I would not repurchase.

on 6/26/2008 9:55:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I ran out of my trusty BB granite gel eyeliner for everyday wear, I needed something that wasn't too dramatic like Black. The MA recommended to me this new color. I have been wearing it all week. Black Mauve is very natural and goes on like silk. On my MMM, i see some grey, auburn, browze and plum. Its a keeper.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was soooo excited to try this product that I ordered it sight unseen with overnight shipping...only to be let down big time. It looks gorgeous in photos with the shimmer & the color, but on me it looked nearly like BB's Black Plum - in others words a dullish gray. I buffed & buffed, then didn't buff at all, I tried everything to get a shimmer out of this to make it look like the photos, all to no avail. I finally gave up and swapped it away. The only reason I gave it a 3 rather than a 1 is because I DO think BB's gel eyeliners are terrific (though I prefer MAC's Fluidlines in general).

This color looks like a dark plum on me and really enhances my green eyes. I like it for something different then regular old brown or black. Bobbi's gel liners wear really well--no smudging, creasing, cracking or fading. I was impressed as this was my first bobbi gel liner. I typically wear clinique but that sometimes cracks off on the outside corners and this does not. Love it. Great color for something different and fun. Appropriate for day or night.

EDIT: I've literally used this twice--the color is kinda boring to me. Wish I could return this.

I love this liner! I purchased it with the whole fall look and this has to be my favorite product! It makes my eyes pop so much! It just gives me a different look from my ususal brown or black liner.I absolutely just love it. I have brown hair and green eyes, medium skin tone (BB beige). I recommend this highly!

on 7/3/2008 8:08:00 PM

I really wanted to like this, as I have about 10 of them and just love the formula. It's almost a greyed down black plum w/ a little shimmer. I can see how it would make green eyes really stand out since there is a little plumminess to it. I have light brown eyes and it does absolutely nothing for them... I returned it to NM.

The color, as others have described, is a brownish-soft black with some plum to it. If you want to describe it another way, I'd call it taupe with an edge. :) Whatever it is, it's not too dark for fair little me (SO hard to find anything that fits this bill), but is certainly dark enough to make my eyes gorgeous. I just ran home to try this on after I bought it, attempted a little cat-eye flick, and am officially in love with Black Mauve Shimmer. I may update after I see it in sunlight; some have said this would be good for folks with green eyes, so I want to see if this is true. I also haven't tried Bobbi Brown eyeliners before, so I need to see if this can pass the longevity test (I'm sure it will be fine, though).
*********************************
Edit - I ended up returning this because it just wasn't different enough from my MAC Lithograph Fluidline. Yes, it's not as harsh as black, but it also (on my lids) didn't look any different than a gray or such. So ends my love affair and I'm going back to my Ben Nye cake liners.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I like this liner. I bought it to wear with the Mauve palette. I have blue eyes and pale skin so sometimes a black gel liner is to harsh / heavy and brown is to warm / boring so this gray with a bit of plum is a nice in between. Did it make my eyes pop like crazy? No. But its nice for that defined but not to heavy look but this is not a terribly exciting eyeliner...I might repurchase because the color is actually unique.

on 7/8/2008 11:23:00 PM

Introduced in 2008 with the Mauve Look for Fall.

Product - Black Mauve Shimmer Ink is a heathered plum shade with subtle golden shimmer. This shade is great with my brown eyes and AAB/NC25 coloring - not too brown, not too purple/violet, not too grey/ashy, and no red undertones. Not sparkly (good), but not matte or flat either (boring!). Nice alternative to basic brown or basic black liner, without being flashy either. As with BB's other gel eyeliners, it has excellent staying power on my oily lids.

Comparisons - Black Mauve is not a true brown like BB Sepia Ink; not as vibrant as BB Violet Ink; not as grey as BB Granite Ink or MAC Fluidline in Lithograph; not as purple as MAC Fluidline in Macroviolet; and not quite as dark or rich as true eggplant purple.

Overall - If you love gel liners and have brown eyes, this is a great color to have. An impulse purchase I would gladly make again. continued >>