Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

Filtered by hair type : Straight age: 36-43
Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

4.2

on 10/26/2008 3:35:00 PM

on 3/9/2008 4:46:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really like Neutrogena because it's the only foundation that I can find that completely matches my skin tone (no pinks!), and has a natural finish.
I used this pressed powder foundation over Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup, and it gave me an absolutely flawless finish. Not too matte, no shininess, no caking. My looked the same at 1am as when I put it on at 4pm.
On its own, it's even and smooth without a powdery finish, but still no shininess.
It looks too heavy when reapplied with the sponge applicator, so now I touch-up with a giant fluffy powder brush, but touch-ups aren't really needed if I use primer underneath.

The price isn't bad: around $10USD, although I suspect if I use it every day I will have to replace it rather frequently.

The packaging is awkward. I like the sponge applicator, and I like that it's held away from the powder, but it's not very easy access. And once I get the sponge, I have to flip back to the powder to put it on the sponge, and then flip back to the sponge-holder to use the mirror.

EDIT - I started applying this without liquid foundation using a kabuki brush. My skin looks absolutely FANTASTIC. I have never ever had any makeup make me look so naturally good. Women at work have asked me, did I get a great facial? I tell them to go buy this (some of them have!). I cannot praise this enough. If it makes my splotchy skin look so completely even and natural, it will work for anyone.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After suffering from Perioral dermatitis due to a cyclopentasiloxane and silicone allergy in liquid makeups, I'm so happy to have found this makeup. It's affordable and easy to find. Matches my skin very well and covers well. It's sheer to medium but I would not build it up too much. This makeup is helping my face heal. The ingredients are very safe and I have had no reactions to it at all. No itchiness, no irritation. For me that is a bonus. I do think it is slightly drying but my skin is a little fragile and dry right now. Using a non silicone primer has helped it go on even smoother (Korres Anti-aging primer is a nice non-silicone one).

I would say that if you have very sensitive skin or need a quick powder to even out your skin for daily wear this is a excellent drugstore formulation (Which is rare to find). I do think the Maybelline mineral makeup is a better finish but it makes me a itch a bit, this one does not.
the finish is matte which is good for oily skin, I'm more dry so I use a Mineral illuminating on top and it looks great, natural and my skin can breathe!!

on 11/23/2008 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted to find a cheaper brand of pressed mineral powder/foundation than Fresh Face Luster, which is why I bought Neutrogena. The bar was set incredibly high, because Fresh is amazing. Luminous finish, and it's long lasting, offering flawless though light coverage. But it's also $45 and within six weeks of using, I had used enough of the stuff that the center of the pan was already showing. Plus, it's not a good foundation for traveling, as the top and bottom aren't attached and the powder is very soft.

Which brings me to Neutrogena's Pressed Powder Foundation. The lightest color (classic ivory) was a good match and the powder feels velvety and finely milled. (I'm a MAC NC15 to 20, depending on the season.)

But the Neutrogena's not flattering on me. Not chalky, but it's flat and makes my skin look dull. And my skin isn't dull without makeup (I've been doing lactic acids peels, and they're been so helpful). In fact, my naked skin looks better than it does with the Neutrogena Powder, whereas the Fresh makes my skin look more luminous.

Maybe the Neutrogena might work as a touch up powder mid-day to blot shine, but it's not working for me as a foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I wanted to love this, mostly because of the price and convenience. I currently use Philosophy Airbrush Canvas mineral makeup and love, love, love it, but at $35 plus shipping, well, I'm always looking for a replacement...

I really like the coverage that this product affords. I have a few old acne scars and redness, and this product covers them quite well. It evens out my complexion without looking mask-like. BTW, I use the lightest color available. It doesn't have a "glowy" look like some MMU, but doesn't look flat, either. My freckles show through, which I like.

My problem is that I have been absolutely breakout free for months and months and months -- ever since I settled on the just-right cleaning, moisturizing and makup combination. I shouldn't have upset the apple cart. Just two days of use and I have a cystic pimple on my chin. Ouch. Haven't had one of those in YEARS. Additionally, the itching that I experienced with Bare Minerals prior to finding Philosphy is also occuring with this product.

Into the trash...glad it was 50% off at Walgreen's this week.

on 11/1/2008 10:56:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This just might be my HG foundation. Applying with a sponge, it looks good. With a kabuki brush, OMG my skin looks flawless. I have super-splotchy skin and this evens it out without looking cakey or makeup-y. Packaging is awkward, and the pan is pretty shallow so I have replace it pretty frequently, but the end result is amazing.