Filtered by skin type : Very Oily

4.6

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is the thickest oil I have ever used, and trust me - I've tried many. When I bought this I definitely did not expect that. Castor oil is VERY different from all of the other oils I've bought. That is likely due to it's high ricinoleic content. I don't recall any of the other oils in my collection contain ricinoleic. Ricinoleic is a fatty acid if any of you are unfamiliar. All of the fatty acids are hydrating.

Skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. I haven't tried this as a regular nighttime moisturizer because the thick consistency scares my acne-prone skin. To be clear, I am NOT saying that castor oil breaks me out. More so I just want to be honest & admit I haven't applied it to my entire face. Update: *Unintentionally* used this as a facial moisturizer after a glob of it trickled down my face before i could blend it into my eye area. I woke up the next morning with pimples in that area so it's safe to say this does break me out as I feared. :( But if used only on my eye area, it's still awesome for me.

But thus far...here are the benefits I've noticed using castor oil:

-GREAT eye cream because it is so thick and emollient.

-Suitable replacement for silicone hair serums. I've always preferred silicones (vs oils) but this stuff really acts like a heavy duty silicone product. A little goes a lllooonnnggg way (it literally takes half a pea sized amount). The ends of my hair are super hydrated, shiny, and soft. Overtime I expect this to reduce split ends. There are a few sections of my hair that are fragile and dried out. Castor oil seems to be great at protecting them. Something I've noticed about castor oil is it seems to absorb fully into my hair. After about 10 minutes there is no residue coating. Traditionally coconut oil is the #1 oil to penetrate the hair shaft but I found castor to be MUCH more effective.

-Wonderful pre-shampoo treatment. Applying a dollop of this and then distributing it throughout my hair before showering has given me great results.

-Offers relief to chronic dry lips. This doesn't feel greasy on my lips and it stays put a lot more than other oils. Even so, I still follow up with chapstick to seal it in.

-Editing to add: One weird thing I love about this oil is how it makes my mascara look now. My lashes are much more conditioned despite me cleansing this off in the morning before make up. It helps my lashes look more lush and separated. But word of caution - this could potentially remove mascara the way oil cleansers remove make up. I use tubing mascara only so oil is not a threat. :)

As for hair growth... when I apply this to my eye area I always make sure to coat my brows and lashes. I can't say I've seen an improvement...yet. But I'm hopeful since that's the most common purpose that others buy castor oil for.

I will have to update.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

So far so good.
I use this for my lashes and it seems that they are growing and maybe a little thicker.
If anything they are healthier.
It is thick and can be messy but I have mine in a dropper bottle and apply with a mascara wand or just my finger.
I try to use it when I remember.
I does migrate and slides around my area which is moisturizing and makes my skin soft in the morning, I think it may just be helping with my undereye circles and fine lines, it also can get into my eyes sometimes but does not burn or cause irritation just blurriness if I do not go to sleep immediately lol
I cannot use moisturizer around my eyes because it causes puffiness including eye creams but the little bit that slides off my lashes around my eye area seems to be perfect.

I did try this when I was trying out different OCM methods but none worked for my skin and caused me to break out and made me more oily than normal.

Update 12/2016
I decided to give the OCM a try once again to see if I can help my skin recover.
My skin has been breaking out like crazy and now it is a mess.
I wanted to go with something simple and gentle so I figured I would go natural first and see how that does.
I am using 1/2 castor oil and 1/2 olive oil with tea tree and Frankincense for OCM.
I am using 1/3 castor with 2/3 olive oil for a scalp treatment.
I will update if I notice any improvements.

Final results
This did, in fact, help my skin and it started to heal a little.
It did work well for my scalp but you need to wash very well to get this out as it is a very thick consistency. I did find that it softened my skin and healed dry patches very well!
I had a dry patch on my elbow would not go away but I applied this and overnight it was improved drastically. It does feel heavy and sticky at first but it does sink in and absorbs leaving behind moisturized, buttery skin.
I will continue to use it for lashes when I feel like, for my scalp, castor oil packs, and healing my skin but I have found that CeraVe foaming cleanser is what has helped my skin the most and it is just more convenient for me personally.

on 8/12/2014 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Ok, so I must say I've only been using this product for about a week on my scalp. After trying the oil cleansing method (mixing castor oil, jojoba oil and tamanu oil) and having HORRIFIC results, I was intent on finding other uses for all these special oil bottles I bought. The jojoba oil ended up being the best moisturizer for my skin (no more razor bumps, yay!), and the tamanu oil has been amazing for any sensitive or inflamed skin. I finally started using the castor oil on my scalp in hopes that maybe, just maybe it would help with my hair growth and help prevent hair fallout/split ends. My hair usually grows about an inch every 3-4 months or so, and by then it is usually all split ends. I've tried everything under the sun to help with this (stopped using heat styling, started brushing and massaging more, biotin which made me break out all over my body) and I can honestly say that within the week I've used it, my hair has already grown more than it usually does in a month and is softer and fuller than ever, I can't stop myself from touching it!! I just now started using it on my eyebrows and eyelashes which also need a little help, but not a whole bunch. Will update in a month or 2 with more results!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First of all, let me say that I am not one of those people who claims that castor oil works wonders after over plucking their eyebrows, because, after all, how do you know whether it's the castor oil or your own body doing the magic of regrowing?

I have always had the same eyebrow shape, but I have always had one or two small patches that do not have any hair. After using castor oil every night for around 2-3 weeks, guess what? They are now covered with hair! The oil does not make your hairs any darker, but thicker. One downside is that the oil can cause acne, since I have oily and acne prone skin. Other than that, the oil works great!

on 12/13/2011 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I originally purchased this to help with my hair growth (I lost a LOT of hair after going on accutane...) but it just wouldn't wash out of my head hair and did nothing for my brows and lashes after about a month (and I was sick of waking up with sticky eyelids!)
However, I decided to try the OCM, and castor oil worked beautifully! My skin is a lot less oily, red, and blotchy! It's dried me up a lot, which is probably not a good thing since it's winter, so I'm temporarily switching to argan oil, but in the summer I'll come back to this. The only downside is the blackheads... I have many more blackheads, and I'm not sure if all of the sugar I've been eating has been breaking me out or this is...

on 11/14/2009 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this on my eyelashes & eyebrows for little over a month now & i can see a huge difference!!! My eyelashes were already long, but now they're so much softer, and a lot more volume! My eyebrows werent too bad..they could be just a little bit fuller... & the castor oil really did do the trick!

I have also used the castor oil for the OCM (oil cleansing method). I steam my face & massage the oil on my face for 5-10 mins. i go back & forth with this, from steaming my face with a hot rag, and massaging the oil. I finish off my wiping the oil off of my face with a rag & then splashing my face with cold water to close my pores. I am VERY OILY SKIN & i am acne prone...believe me ladies...try this! MY face is sooo smooth & i have noticed that my redness has gone down a tad bit! when i do this, i can feel my pores purging all of the gunk out and onto my face! My blackheads on my nose & chin are barely there anymore!!! A couple times when you do this, you might break out for a week or two, but after that my skin has been very clear!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

After using Castor Oil on my brows and lashes, I noticed a difference in the growth of both lashes and brows.
My lashes are more filled in and longer, my brows are starting to get thicker.
Although I don't think my brows or lashes will ever be extra-lush (never were) they are lusher than before.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After reading this on MUA, I decided to give this a try. I can never arch my brows the way I wanted it to because my brows end at the same point where my outer corners of my eyes are. I started slathering castor oil to where I want my brows' ends to be with q-tips, and the rest of the oil that is left on my inner brows and my eyelashes. By slatering on my eyelashes, I mean I just wipe the q-tip across my eyelids.

I have been doing this for 3 weeks, and I am happy to say that this method has worked for me and I have baby hairs growing out at my brows' ends making it "longer". (And I don't even do it every night, maybe every other night.) There's only a few of them now, but everyone knows even one eyebrow plucked wrong can change the whole brow arch! Now I am able to slowly shape my arch.

As for my lashes, because I actually wipe the oil on my entire eye, I am having new growth as well. But while making my eyelashes longer, some are growing 1 to 2 mm above my eyelashes. This freaks me out a bit, because I want my lashes to remain at the edge of my eyelids!! So now I am gently coating just my eyelashes and the roots of my eyelashes.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this on my eyelashes for quite awhile now. I simply rub them on the lashes at night. I have been doing this continuously and saw results after more or less than a month. My lashes are thicker and longer. They never fall out when I rub them now either. Those who are considering revitalash or talika lipocils should invest in a 4 dollar bottle of this stuff first.
It's been great for my brows as well.
I never use this on my face in fear that I will grow facial hair.

on 7/7/2008 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been massaging a mixture of 50% castor oil & 50% extra virgin olive oil to my face now for two days and believe its too early to comment on the results.
However, I have been applying just plain castor oil (with a makeup pad) to my oily t-zone in the hopes that it'd dry it up (it gets VERY oily) and also rid the blocked pores. Surprisingly it's not dried me up and it seems to have made my pores more noticeable - for some reason they look darker - previously they were very blocked however they were only slightly obvious whereas now they look like BLACKheads!
Has anyone else noticed this?

Popular Brows Products