Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 2/17/2017 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

As another review said, this oil did a great job making my eyebrows fuller, but it also broke me out. I started out applying it at night and sleeping on it. After a week I noticed about 4 pimples and even a large painful bump on my brows. I gave it up but wanted to give it another try when my brows cleared up, and this time only leaving it on for about 2-3 hours. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and unfortunately once again I've developed a painful bump on my brow. Maybe it's just coincidence that I'm developing breakouts there (since I'm acne-prone), but based on what those other reviewers said, I'm going to have to pass this one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Bottom line: this helps with hair growth, but breaks me out badly.

I have extremely sensitive skin, so I have to be extremely careful with any new product. This does not irritate my skin, but does clog my pores if that makes sense. It took a few days to notice this was causing issues because of it.

I used this after cleansing and before my serums/moisturizers only at night. I used this only on my brows and lashes in hopes it would encourage hair growth.

It is extremely thick which nicely coats the brows/lashes. After nearly two weeks of use, it has definitely encouraged growth. There are a few sections of my brows that refused to grow in thanks to regular threading and plucking, those spots have started to fill in. It does not take long for it to help brows and lashes grow thicker and longer.

As I said above, it is extremely thick and after a few days I noticed pimples in my brows and little white bumps along my lash line. Unfortunately, this oil clogs my pores and so I will not continue using.

IF you aren't as sensitive and acne-prone, try this out. It definitely produces results.

on 10/22/2016 11:43:00 AM

I couldn't believe my eyelashes today when I did my makeup 🤗 It's been about a month since I started using castor oil on my lashes and brows and WOW I am SOOO impressed. Let me begin from actually describing my natural lashes which are pretty average what makes them worse is having protruding eyes so my lashes grow straight due to heavy lids (I should not risk it and leave house without mascara haha) and their mousy color. They are also suckers at cooperating with me so one eye looks good whereas the other could technically be off of another face and that's all due to my eyelashes being unruly. OK today I put mascara on and I would of fainted glad I was sat down haha they have never been so long, I haven't noticed a difference in colour, I need to investigate that in natural light with clear mascara. My lashes improved by at least 70% and I will continue using the oil. My method to apply is with my finger, the oil is quite thick and your finger makes it more liquid as it releases heat. I basically stamp my lashes at the room making sure the whole lashline is coated and then feather the lengths and tips. At the end I press on to them to get rid of excess oil. Since I over plucked my eyebrows years ago they have never been the same. The oil has really given me my brows back. I don't go to a brow bar and do them myself. They are definitely darker and I have noticed hairs growing into the gaps. Very impressed.

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

When i was growing my natural hair out, made my hair strands so thick and healthy. I use this stuff on my eyebrows to help grow them out as well as my eyelashes using an old mascara brush that;s been washed out. I prefer Jamaican Black castor oil. Despise the sunny isle brand. Love this stuff. smells terrible tho :(

on 9/22/2016 11:53:00 PM

I have always been sceptical of "natural" remedies for hair growth and skin. Being a woman of science I can't help but roll my eyes when people try bullshit me with natural alternatives. Yes they have their place, but lets face it our "natural" look is one of ageing gracefully, hair loss, and less than desirable hair colours. But i digress! This product has shaken my anti-natural stance to the very core!!! IT'S INCREDIBLE! My eyebrows started getting think thin, patching and all around sad about a year ago. I wanted the lush eyebrows of my youth (which i tragically plucked away when I was a teenager).
Then i read about castor oil and wanted to put it to the test, what could i lose right?
I followed a regime outlined on this site-
- I cleanse my face and exfoliate
- I put two drops of essential teatree oil in sterile water (boiled)
- Wait for it to cool and brush my eyebrows for a 1-2 mins
- Dip a cotton tip in the oil and lightly glaze my eyebrows (Very lightly!) You don't want to use too much because its a thick oil
After 1 week i have BUSHMAN eyebrows! I wish i'd taken a before and after picture
I can't wait too see them next week!
Just note- Go for cold-pressed organic castor oil so the refining process is minimal and all the good shit isn't lost!

on 8/23/2016 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Alright so avoiding profanities will be hard for me here because I got a lot to say. If you want my simple SFW review, I'll list the pros/cons at the end for you.

For some background: I had no intention of buying some fancy ass organic ass expensive ass oil for my eyebrows. So I bought Meijer brand Castor Oil, in the laxative aisle. It was cheap (like $3?) for a huge ass bottle and lawd I have been blessed.
Have you ever suffered through the disappointment of growing out your eyebrows for almost a full year after a horrific threading session? Have you had to rebuild your trust in others, your confidence, your faith in humanity because a little lady at the mall turned your foreign baddie eyebrows into stripper brows?
If this is you, you need castor oil. This made my eyebrows grow so quickly. I've had a series of bad eyebrow wax/thread/removal and my eyebrow hair growth has been slowing down. I was afraid my eyebrows would never be as thick as they once were (to be entirely honest, they're still not there yet). My eyebrows are getting back to where they were and I am so happy. I'm still gonna continue using this because it really makes a difference.
Just a word to the wise, don't be heavy handed with this!! I applied this at night and it definitely broke me out a little because my eyebrows were way too saturated.

PROS:
- thicker, fuller eyebrow
- it works

CONS:
- too much can break you out

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

In love with this product. I am glad I gave it a shot because truthfully I was extremely skeptical at first. I ahve been using with a q tip and putting it on my eyebrows every night for about a month and I can notice new growth. It is very slow to see but it is definitely doing something. Price is so affordable and it is so worth it!

on 7/30/2016 10:11:00 AM

$1 Castor oil vs $25 Organic Cold Pressed Castor Oil

Can $1, processed castor oil really be better than an organic, cold pressed version? I tested them both and the results were very surprising!

I wanted to try Castor oil because my eyebrows aren't very thick, and my lashes are downright sparse. Rather than do my typical ten hours of hardcore online research about everything from how well it works, to which brand to buy, I just bought the first one I saw. Someone had put it in my head the previous day and there it was sitting at Walgreens for $1.55. So I just took it straight off the shelf, bought it went home and immediately applied it to both my brows and eyelashes.

In less than a month I noticed major improvement. It was one of the most effective things I've used. My lashes were twice as thick. There seemed to be more of them, and the ones that were there seemed thicker.

I was so excited about it, that I immediately went back to do my standard research. I bought a nice bottle of cold pressed castor oil that only came in a huge bottle, so it was $25. But that was easily worth it for this little miracle oil!

But then a funny thing happened. First thing I started using my "superior" castor oil... my results almost stopped. I was disappointed because things had been in full swing just a few days before. I figured I must have tapped out my growth potential.

Three months passed, and when traveling I brought my huge $25 bottle of castor oil with me on a weekend trip. When I came home, I realized that I had accidentally left it behind. I never really saw better results with it, so I just went back to using my $1 Walgreens castor oil.

Much to my surprise, the growth in my eyelashes and eyebrows began to accelerate again! I was shocked! I thought I had tapped out the growth ability, but no. The difference was the oil. The cheap stuff was working better!

I'm a firm believer in exclusively using cold pressed, organic oils. I've tried the cheap processed stuff in the past, and it's never been as good... until now. As weird as it sounds, the cheap castor worked better for me.

Intrigued, I went back and read a lot of the reviews in this very thread about castor oil. What I observed in the reviews, matched my own experience. Almost no one says they tried both kinds(cheap and cold pressed). But every single person saying things like "It tripled my lashes" and "it totally regrew my brows" ALL seem to be using dirt cheap, processed castor oil. While almost every person saying they use cold pressed, report tepid or even zero results.

This is totally the opposite of anything I've ever seen with oil, but I suggest trying the cheap stuff. As weird as it sounds, I think it works better.

on 3/9/2016 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've used this every other day for a few weeks on my lashes and eyebrows, and especially in my lashes I've seen a change. They might've gotten a little longer, but most of all they've gotten a lot stronger. I've had problems with my eyelashes breaking off a lot, sometimes so much that there's a noticeable "gap" in my lashes where several has fallen off. Since I started using castor oil I've seen significantly less lashes break off when taking off makeup etc. In my brows I haven't seen as much of a change, but it might still come. I apply the oil with an eyeliner brush along the upper lash line, kind of like I would an eyeliner, a while before I go to bed. Sometimes I also dab a little onto the end of the lashes to give an extra boost to the actual lashes.

My eyes are quite sensitive, so initially I was a bit scared about applying an oil that irritates eyes right near the lash line and/or on my lashes. But the oil is thick enough to really stay where you've put it, and I haven't had any problems with it. When I researched the oil I saw a lot of people saying you should remove any excess oil in the morning when you wash your face, but I swear I don't have any oil to remove come morning. Either my lashes and brows are just really thirsty and drinks it all up, or I smush my face deep enough into my pillow to rub it off during the night.

I will continue to use it and I hope that over time I'll get longer lashes as well as stronger ones.

on 1/29/2016 10:04:00 AM

I have extremely sensitive skin and will get flesh-coloured bumps all over my face from bathing in certain town water, that has a lot of additives and chlorine. Castor oil keeps the skin under the eyes from getting darker, and helps keep wrinkles at bay and maintained. I use the Home Health brand and it's great. It's a very thick oil, but it still works well for hydrating skin under the eyes. I also add it to my body lotion. If I use it on my face other than under my eyes, I have a tendency to break out, so I just don't use it on my face, but that doesn't take away from how well it works as an under-eye moisturizer and anti-aging tool.

Popular Brows Products