Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

Too Faced Born This Way Foundation

3.3

I'm constantly on the hunt for a foundation that will make my blemished skin look flawless and radiant and the Born This Way Foundation by Too Faced did just that. The coverage is great and it wears evenly throughout the day. I can even tough up with a little concealer and powder before going out and it doesn't cake up. I gave it 4 lippies (I would give it 4.5 if that was an option) because once it oxidizes it's slightly too dark for me and I wear the lightest shade (porcelain). Otherwise, great foundation!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought the shade Vanilla the lightest shade available in stores, the description says its for fair/light skin with neutral/pink tones, well... it was VERY yellow. Every shade in this line is yellow toned which for some of us paler ladies it wont work for us. I tried applying it with a brush and because of how yellow it is it looked splotchy and uneven. I found that it did not blend very well for me. I took it off and tried it with my beauty blender... same result. Do to how yellow it actually is no matter what I did it just didnt look natural and I didnt get that "born this way" look because i was not born yellow. I returned it 2 hours after buying it. Maybe when Too Faced realizes that not every girl has yellow undertones and makes shades that are legit pink toned I will try this again but until then this one is not for me.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

SHADE SELECTION: warm beige (NC37 for reference)
APPLICATION METHOD: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- medium to full coverage
- blends well
- lightweight
- does not cling to dry spots
- packaging

CONS

- settles into fine lines
- can look cakey in warm weather
- settles into pores
- gets too oily

COMMENTS: Medium to full coverage foundation (little goes a long way) with a slightly dewy finish. Love the packaging. It's lightweight, blends easily and does accentuate dry spots. Skip this if you're oily and avoid in warmer weather as it will look very cakey and less natural. This would be great for drier skin as even in the winter, it still makes me oily. It will settle into fine lines in less than an hour and after a couple of hours, my pores are very prominent. It's kind of comparable to L'Oreal's True Match, but without the cons.

Will not repurchase.

on 7/6/2015 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using this for a little under three weeks at this point and while there is a significant amount of hype, I've seen a lot of reviews adoring this product (and well deserved, at that!), but not a lot about some of the nitpicky details--which are things I personally look for, and I assume I'm not alone. I'll be honest: this is a great foundation well worth your time, but there are *some* points worth mentioning.

The product itself comes in a nice looking, weighty frosted glass bottle with a pump. It is a liquid that isn't watery, but is loaded with pigmentation. It doesn't run very quickly, but if you put it on the back of your hand, it's not going to run down your arms or anything like that if you accidentally hold your hand at an angle.

As stated, the pigmentation is definitely there but without any of the weight. It's a really great trick and reminds me of Armani Luminous Silk in that way. The big issue with the pigmentation that I have is the limited color range. The lightest yellow foundation (Ivory) isn't exactly as advertised--it's a hair under NC20, which to me, is just one under the start of medium skintones. On top of this, POC on the darker ends of the spectrum will struggle to find a matching shade.

Now, with the formulation, the product does contain denatured alcohol like the Armani Luminous Silk (which I've mentioned in my review of the product.) However, it is extremely low in the ingredients list comparatively (meaning it is in a lower concentration.) It shows on this product because I don't get quite the same greasy-like appearance or have to worry about my face looking like it will be melting off.

In wearing this product, I do find that it wears very well but I don't feel that it lasts all day. I don't know if it's because my skin drinks the product up (I have drier skin) or if the alcohol (albeit in smaller amounts) breaks it down faster. After having experimented, I do find the addition of powder over the top does help with longevity (having used the Hourglass ALP in July heat/humidity.) In application, it can get a little streaky if you look up close, however, from a distance, no one would be able to tell. Having played with application methods, I find brush and fingers both work well, but fingers are a little more adequate at avoiding streaks on the skin.

Despite the fact it contains hydrating ingredients (glycerin, coconut water, etc.), I do find that it can be caught on my vellus hairs between my eyebrows. It did not catch on any of my dry spots, though. But, again, from a distance, no one would be able to tell. Only up close does it become a problem. Taking pictures with this foundation is not an issue in both regular lighting and flash--there's no SPF so it does not cause flashbacks (and anyways, you'll never get enough coverage from a foundation for sun protection anyways, so don't rely on one for any.)

Lastly, I suspect this product *does* break me out. Each time I've worn this product (I've worn it 3 days on, 1 day off) I find I've gotten a pimple after wearing it and I'm not someone who normally breaks out otherwise. However, knowing other formulas which have broken me out (OCC Skin Airbrush, NARS Sheer Glow, and Bobbi Brown Skin), I'm unable to figure out which ingredient may be the culprit.

Overall, I really do like this foundation and I wish it worked for me without getting break-outs. Because of that, I would personally not repurchase but if I did not have that issue, I absolutely would. It's a solid performer and well worth looking at, especially at $39/1 oz, it's a great alternative to Armani Luminous Silk if you fit within the limited shade range.

Pros:

- No SPF (does not provide adequate protection in foundations anyways and the cause of flashbacks)
- Strong pigmentation
- Does not feel heavy
- Contains hydrating ingredients
- Lovely packaging that comes with a pump (hygienic!)
- Does not emphasize dry spots

Cons:

- Limited color range
- Lightest yellow shade is approximately ~NC18
- Can cause break-outs in some people with sensitive skin
- Application can be fussy
- Can catch on vellus hairs
- Will not last throughout the day (on average, I can get about 7 hours)

on 7/3/2015 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Born this way has a nice creamy coverage that doesn't budge. I think it's on a par with my all time fave Armani. I would definitely buy it again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Since I got this in June the first day it came out I have worn it every day... This is a beautiful foundation. Just perfection! My skin is dry and it sits really nicely all day on it. It's a great every day foundation for work because it covers everything but doesn't look like a mask. I like a lot of coverage so I wasn't sure if it would do what I'm used to and it DID and did it better!!! It wears great without a primer, wears great with a primer, looks beautiful over illuminating creams (even though it's luminous) on it's own. And I have received quite a few compliments the last 2 weeks. I would love them to come out with a concealer because they have gotten this foundation so right that a concealer would just be the icing on the cake... TOO FACED, YOU LISTENING? CONCEALER PLEASE!!!!! Try it girls, you will absolutely love it!!!

UPDATE - 9/25/15 - I'm STILL using this every day.. I can't live without this foundation... Or Too Faced in general. From this to their eye shadows... They are my HG brand.... I really wish they would make a concealer... WE NEED A CONCEALER... :-) I get compliments non-stop, it wears well, applies beautifully (I use the Make up Geek foundation stippling brush) these two together have given me a flawless coverage.... I just can't say enough good things about it. <3... Love, Love, Love! :-)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin: acne-prone, sensitive, oily and sometimes dry in winter. I use TF Hangover primer and Elta MD SS. This is def. a miracle worker foundation. The finish is more satin finish than anything else. Not shiny, but an inner glow that looks fab even on my oily self. I wore this to my son's baseball tournament this past wknd in SoCal 100+* and was shiny, after a few hours, not crazy oily just a shine that my iT Cosmetics powder took care of immediately and beautifully. I was good to go for the rest of the day/nite. The 2nd day, I was at the fields almost all day and again I was shiny, but nothing a powder or oil blot couldn't take care of. I'm oily and will always have a perma-shine/glow. I'm ok with that, this foundation does just that for me. It's not claimed to be matte or fight oil, yet I still look great after all day wear. Makeup stays put, no breakouts(!), no sliding or moving of my other face products. Just natural beauty. I even gave my mom the sand sample and now she's in love and will be purchasing her own bottle. This fdtn will be great on any skin type, LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! My new HE fdtn :)

For reference I'm NC20-25 in MAC, L'oreal pro matte 103 and Warm Nude in TF Born this Way.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I typically stay with my Revlon Colorstay foundation. I just haven't found a higher end foundation that I love and is worth the price. The Too Faced Born This Way foundation is amazing.
I have sensitive and combo skin. I tend to like a foundation that is long wearing yet doesn't look cakey on the skin. That's what this foundation does. I do not use a primer. I have worn the foundation in the heat and even cried with it on. The foundation hold ups amazing even in my T-zone where I tend to get oily in the warmer months. The finish is more of a satin finish. It gives you a glow...a natural glow. I have applied it with a flat top kabuki and a beauty blender. both work nice. This foundation blurs my pores and fine lines a bit. I'm truly impressed with how easy it blends for how thick the product is, the longevity of the foundation, and the over all look it gives your skin. It is a medium to full coverage foundation with a natural look.The Born This Way Foundation is OIL FREE. It contains Coconut water, Alpine Rose and Hyaluronic Acid. All those help to hydrate the skin. LOVE IT! I will repurchase and it will replace my Revlon Colorstay. So worth the price!
*Only negative is the foundation does NOT have SPF. Which really isn't a huge con, I'll just use a SPF under the foundation.