Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30
RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

4.2

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 13% (broad-spectrum sunscreen agent). Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), PEG-12 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Resveratrol, Quercetin, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Lauroyl Lysine (skin-conditioning agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Trihydroxystearin (thickener), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (anti-irritant), Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract (antioxidant), Haemstococcus Pluvialis Extract (astaxanthin/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Corn Starch (thickener/mattifying agent), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Hydrolyzed Silica (thickener/mattifying agent), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based binding agent), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient thickener), Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate (texture enhancer), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives), Iron Oxides (natural pigment).

on 8/15/2013 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is a physical only tinted spf moisturizer (w/13% zinc oxide). The tint is a bit lighter than Elta Physical & SCPF but more invisible, so I didn't really notice any tint at all on my nc20ish skin tone. It is very light and almost has a watery feel to it, blends easily and is cosmetically elegant (looks smooth, doesn't settle into pores etc), however it dried down to a *slightly* tacky finish and may have caused a tiny bit of irritation to my rosacea cheeks. Sunscreens that have any type of sticky/tacky feel seem to trap heat and flare my rosacea. I had the same problem with Burnout & Vanicream. I much prefer the Hydralight Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30 (zinc & titanium combo). It is more soothing and anti-redness (possibly from the licorice & green tea), and it doesn't have the slight tackiness that the Resist does. I think a lot of people would like the Resist one but for my skin type the Hydralight works better

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

UPDATE 10/21/2013 -- I'm pretty sure this product is responsible for HARDCORE OXIDATION effects in my makeup, including foundations, tinted moisturizers, and powder. I'm still willing to use it when I don't wear makeup, but that really limits usage for me. What a shame, because it's a very effective primer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I would have LOVED having this same product 15 years ago when I suffered from excessively oily skin. These days, I have slightly oily/combo skin and the product was a little drying. I don't know how it's advertised as a moisturizer.

It applies beautifully and dries down matte. The tint is NOT invisible -- not on my very fair olive skin, anyway -- but it's quite light, neutral, and sheer. My sensitive skin experienced no stinging or burning from application and wear. It smoothed easily over my eye area.

It's a VERY effective primer. I applied my Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer over this and got all day wear at work. Normally, the TM begins to wear off and get too shiny after lunch.

The price bothers me. Paula Begoun has set up an image geared at avoiding overspending on cosmetics, skin care, and hair care products. As a rule, her product line is priced competitively with most upper-end drugstore lines and some lower-end department store lines. At nearly $30, this is her most expensive moisturizer + SPF to date. I disagree with overpricing sunscreen products because people are more likely to scrimp on sufficient coverage in order to prolong use. Still, with all its advantages, it's hard to argue that consumers aren't getting their money's worth and I doubt there's a competitive product that performs so well.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is alright. It has a nice subtle tint and controls oil alright for a couple hours. It is not very hydrating, though, and it feels slightly chalky when it dries. It wears HORRIBLY under foundation, so I would not recommend it as a daily sunscreen moisturizer for those who often times wear makeup. I'll still be on the hunt for an HG daily moisturizer for my combination, acneic, clog prone skin!

on 8/11/2013 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Update 2015: No longer wearing sunscreen everyday for various reasons (except around my eyes), but this remains my HG and the only sunscreen that has worked for my skin 100%. Only gripe is that I wish the tube was bigger considering the price. Additional new issue: my commitment to sun avoidance has lightened my already ghostly skin and this is now about 2-3 shades too dark. Would like to see it with less pink or a version with no tint at all.

UPDATE 9/21/13: I am still using and loving this sunscreen. I do notice that, when applying the correct 1/4 tsp amount, it stays slightly tacky in humid weather. I just slap some powder on and no more problem. Still no breakouts or irritation and it's the perfect "weight" for my oily skin. HG status.

This is Paula's newest sunscreen and I have been using this daily for about a week. For reference, my skin is very sensitive and oily and I've never been able to try any of her other sunscreens due to clogging ingredient inclusions/can't use chemical s/s. This is a very light 13% ZnO sunscreen with the addition of quite a few antioxidants. It has a tint which is pretty much the same shade as my very fair skin. The tint disappears, however, and eliminates any white cast. This sunscreen has a matte finish and does not have an overly siliconey feel upon dry down. This is the first time I have used a sunscreen and truly forgotten about it after application. It also makes for an excellent makeup base and does not irritate my eyes. Regarding removal, I am able to get everything off by doing a double wash with my regular cleanser. It is ever so slightly drying applied to bare skin, but not nearly as drying as something like Burnout Eco Sensitive. It also doesn't have a tacky after feel. The ingredients, for me, are excellent and contain none of my clogging triggers. At $27 for 2 oz it is expensive, but I was able to get it for around $22 on the latest sale and looks like you can get a sample for $1. Despite the price, this is the very best sunscreen I have ever tried and I will gladly buy it again and again in the future. Beats out Shiseido Urban Environment Cream, Replenix SPF 30 Spray, and Burnout Eco Sensitive for me. Enthusiastically recommended as an every day, cosmetically elegant sunscreen.

In Review...
Pros:
Extremely cosmetically elegant
Fast dry down
Absolutely no white cast
No tacky/sticky after feel
Matte finish
Cruelty free
All physical and contains numerous antioxidants
Void of any infamous cloggers (however I know that some people can't use cyclops)
Non-irritating and no breakouts or clogging (for me)
Holds up well in hot/humid weather

Cons:
Price for amount received