January 31, 2015 | 1029 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Telescopic Carbon Black

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2008 3:57:00 PM More reviews by Amethyst1962

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The only thing telescopic about this mascara is the tube that its in and the wand. I bought this because the brand states that it will give you long - hence - telescopic - lashes and carbon - meaning very dark lashes. Well, this was more money I wasted. The mascara brush is not good at all. It made my lashes very spiky looking like a spider and its no darker than any other black mascara. For the almost $9.00 price tag for a drug store mascara, this was horrible and a waste. Cover Girl Lash Blast is a much better product. I'm finding that the thinner the brush, the spikier your lashes will be. If you want full, thick lashes, go with a brush that is wide / fat. I hate this mascara.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2008 12:21:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

(this review is for the Carbon Black version)
stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for it), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i slightly prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2008 12:02:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for that if you like), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

17 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2008 11:04:00 PM More reviews by racheroonie

Really good mascara, so much better than Diorshow, etc.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 1:15:00 PM More reviews by junerose000

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this as a fs freebie bonus with my box of L'Oreal hair color. Up to this point, I have been using mascaras from Lancome, Clinique and Estee Lauder, and none of them have been a HG mascara for me. When first applied, this mascara is very wet, which I know for some people is not so great, but I actually prefer this. It gives me a lot of time to work with my mascara comb to separate the lashes the way I like them to look. I am not a big fan of clumpy, spidery lashes, and I find that with the telescopic, I am able to achieve the natural looking, long lashes that I have always wanted. The carbon black is a nice deep black which really helps to define the lashes. I don't curl my lashes before applying this, and it still gives my lashes a nice curl and lift. I only took a lippy off because the wand itself is longer than average and a little bit awkward to use. Otherwise, this is my favorite mascara right now, and the fact that it retails for half the price of the high end mascaras is a real bonus.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2008 10:55:00 PM More reviews by THARA

I'm not really a mascara snob so I gave this product 4 lippies only b/c I need a wp version. During the summer I dare not rub my eyes for fear of becoming a raccoon. Other than that I didn't experience any flakies, or irritation. It really lengthens my average lashes and isn't overly dramatic. If you're looking for volume, then this isn't the mascara for you. It washes off easily with soap and water and doesn't bother my contacts. Will use up but won't buy again. i like the 'brush' better than this comb-like wand.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2008 6:17:00 AM More reviews by Larri

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

LOVE this mascara! Its not avaliable in new zealand, but when my sister was in america recently she sent me some and i was so happy with it i made her bring several back for me. It makes my lashes super long and seperated (HUGELY important for me with mascara). And soooo cheap, she got it for US$5, so i guess thats about NZ$8, and its bascially impossible to get mascara that cheap here! Now will have to find another way to get my fav mascara now that my sister is back!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by mangoo

I picked this one up for a little over $7 at Shoppers when it was 40% off. First of all I love the telescope shape of the bottle, very cute! I was a little surprised when I saw the wand because it is very thin compared to the huge Covergirl Lashblast wand I had been using. It has short plastic bristles on a long wand. The formula is good at defining but can't hold a curl at all. I had to curl them again after they had dried. I really love the fact that this didn't budge all day long. No smudges, flakes or fallout! Makes your lashes dark and dramatic if you build up the coats.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2008 9:22:00 PM More reviews by ana001

Okay ladies this mascara is for designed for length only! If your looking for a mascara which adds any kind of volume don't even bother with this one. Also your lashes become very dry and brittle afterwards and as for the "carbon black" color it claims, well to me it just looked like any other black mascara, nothing special about it. Oh well, I'm on to my next mascara as I've thankfully used this one up.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2008 11:15:00 PM More reviews by lil_me

I picked this up @ Rite Aid during their BOGO in the Carbon Black #935 for $8.95..

This formula promises dramatic 60% lengthening and deep black color (2X more intense pigments compared to L'Oreal's regular black). It also uses the patented Flexible Precision Brush for greater control and lengthening.

~Ophthalmologist and allergy tested
~Removes easily with soap and water
~Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
~Fragrance-Free

Made in USA

The ingredients are as follows:
Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Stearic Acid, Cera Carnauba (Carnauba Wax), Acacia Senegal, Palmitic Acid, Triethanolamine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Aminomethyl Propanediol, PEG 40 Stearate, Sodium Polymethacrylate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Simethicone, BHT, Polyquaternium 10, Panthenol, May Contain: (+/-) CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77266 (Black 2), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 75470 (Carmine), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide)

Overall, this mascara does what it promises. I did not experience any flakies nor smudges. I wish it came in a waterproof version, though. It's ok when I'm here in San Francisco where the weather is cooler, but when I get to higher temperatures, I'm afraid I will end up with racoon eyes!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No