L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I HATED this mascara. It was clumpy, it didn't define, it made my lashes stick together, and flaked all day long. By noon I had raccoon lies. Beyond that, it was a chore to apply no matter what I did! I would wipe off the comb a little, comb my lashes afterwords with a metal lash comb, still clumpy, spiderleg lashes. I hate this mascara and I will never repurchase. I have relatively long black lashes as is, for reference, and was simply looking for something to define. This is definitely not for me. (so far I've liked definicils/highdefinicils by lancome and for d/s, maybelline mascaras)

on 10/23/2008 1:58:00 PM

i read allot of reviews about this and decided to give it ago. im usually doubtful that the cheaper mascaras actually work and i keep to my few fave top end mascaras,but i was pleasantly surprised. this was really black and it fanned out my lashes and gave them length and thickness. i don't know why it clumps on other people i think it depends how much your using, i don't see the point on applying layer after layer of mascara. anyway i had no clumping and it was easy to use,and i like that it kind of combs your lashes while applying. i was a little surprised that the brush is so thin but it did the job well.the tube is in the shape of a mini telescope which i think is a little cheesy but that dosnt really matter.im not saying its as good as dior iconic or ysl faux cils but it is the best mascara I've used for a cheaper one and i would def buy again.

on 10/22/2008 10:56:00 PM

this mascara is pure crap. the brush is horrible...it picks up way too much product. whenever i use it, all my lashes clump together, but even on top of that, it doesn't make them any longer looking at all. i've only used this mascara a few times, and normally i hate to review something so soon, but i just can't get this mascara to work. everytime i use it, my lashes look so horrible i end up washing my face and starting all over...seriously. it really is a terrible mascara. and as for the color being darker than most other mascara, thats not true either. it looked no darker than any other mascara i've ever tried. for the approximately $10 pricetag for a drugstore mascara, its absolutely not even worth a try. save your money and buy a different one.
UPDATE (11/18/08): i've been using this for the past few weeks, trying to make it work for me but i still just can't. its pretty horrible. i forgot to mention the first time i reviewed it that it flakes horribly and its kind of hard to wash off. for some reason my DHC oil cleanser can't take it off so i have to go back over it with a makeup remover. to the trash it goes.

on 10/21/2008 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I am completely in love with this. Made my naturally blond lashes incredibly long, dark and bold. Plus, it seemed to add an extra curl to it. :)

I understand some people have problems with it clumping, but I personally think that is their method of applying it. I myself never get clumps while using it. Its all about the technique! ;)

This is my new HG mascara.

on 10/18/2008 9:59:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Hm. So I grabbed a tube of this because I'm out of my HG Big Fatty, was at the drug store, it's raining, didn't want to make a separate trip to Ulta etc. etc. etc. My lashes are naturally very long and very thick, and I tend to like a more dramatic (longer, blacker) lash, as I frequently wear nothing *but* mascara. This stuff is not particularly dramatic, and I'd go so far as to say it absolutely falls short of any claim to dramatic length. It does lengthen: a bit. And it does -- surprisingly -- seem to lift my lashes despite a very wet formula. But the overall effect is . . . minimizing (!!!?!??). The wet formula condenses the lashes to something more star-like than fringey, so it makes my eyes look wide open, but it sort of reduces volume. While I don't like a volume-building mascara, I will say that I also don't like for my natural volume to be eradicated. It's a particular look, though, and I think it has its place. But this is nothing compared to UD Big Fatty (on me) and I sincerely doubt I'll repurchase. Also, Ultra Black? Not so much. Seems about as black as any Clinique, MAC, UD mascara I've ever used.

on 10/15/2008 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

PROS: (1) it DOES double the length of my lashes, (2) it gave them great curl (3) does not smudge (4) The brush is flexible (5) great separation

CONS (1) not the ‘carbon black’ it promises. (2) makes my lashes feel stiff and uncomfortable. (3) I could not put more than a single layer of mascara on otherwise my lashes appeared spidery

When I first applied this on my sensitive eyes it burned a little, similar to the sensation you get when you feel sleepy and your eyes burn (the sensation subsides after 20 minutes). I applied one coat, and my lashes looked long and feather. I applied a second coat, which made my lashes look bolder but a little clump. By the third and final coat, I was hoping for a dramatic look, but on me it looked like I had clumpy lash tips.

Over all I would not give this a poor rating because this product did everything it promised (except the carbon black). I think this product is best marketed towards women who already have thick lashes but want to add some length. But for someone like me who has average lashes that are not long nor thick, I prefer volume to give my eyes impact. The bottom line, this product is falsely marketed towards anyone when it only works for a select demography. I would highly recommend it if you already have thick lashes, otherwise I would skip out on this one.

on 10/14/2008 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

WT...? A strange brush which is more like a four sided comb, it did absolutely NOTHING for my lashes. It made my lashes look wet and wimpy. No matter how much I combed through it did nothing. A complete waste of $9.00

on 10/14/2008 3:57:00 PM

The only thing telescopic about this mascara is the tube that its in and the wand. I bought this because the brand states that it will give you long - hence - telescopic - lashes and carbon - meaning very dark lashes. Well, this was more money I wasted. The mascara brush is not good at all. It made my lashes very spiky looking like a spider and its no darker than any other black mascara. For the almost $9.00 price tag for a drug store mascara, this was horrible and a waste. Cover Girl Lash Blast is a much better product. I'm finding that the thinner the brush, the spikier your lashes will be. If you want full, thick lashes, go with a brush that is wide / fat. I hate this mascara.

on 10/1/2008 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

(this review is for the Carbon Black version)
stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for it), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i slightly prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

on 10/1/2008 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for that if you like), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!