L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black

on 12/16/2008 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I don't like to be disappointed, and l'oreal telescopic mascara disappointed me. I don't get the hype behind carbon black. It wasn't even that dramatic. Maybe it would be if my lashes were blonde or something. This mascara does not volumize even one iota. It does lengthen alright-- pretty decently even. However, it really is pretty wimpy. If a mascara is ONLY going to lengthen, I want it to lengthen really freaking well. And this doesn't quite cut it. It clumps a bit, too...annoying. The brush (a really skinny comb-like brush) is awesome, and would be great for reaching the lower lashes. Except I can't wear telescopic on my lower lashes because it smudges too much, so there goes that idea. Really this mascara is only useful if you want to layer it over another mascara to make it lengthen a little more. But who wants a product you can only use with other stuff? Not me!

on 12/9/2008 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The brush took a t bit of getting used to,but I really love the final result. I am SOLD on the carbon black. WHAT a difference it makes!
I have noticed no smudging or flaking.
I would repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Mediocre at best.

on 12/6/2008 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Another of my trying to economize buys. I love l'oreal mascaras as a drugstore brand. They deliver on most fronts. However, in Australia, telescopic is half the price of say lancome hypnose and rimmel would be a third of the price. L'oreal isn't actually that cheap by comparison.

Pros:
- intense black colour that was glossy in a way I have not seen in my Chanels, Diors or Lancomes
- really lengthened
- great brush for both the top lashes and lower lashes. I never used to do my lower lashes because I'd always mess it up with most brushes but the telescopic brush is great
- easy to remove
- no clumps
- no flakes
- cute and easy to hold packaging

Cons:
- no volume
- is the brush meant to be a but bendy? Keep thinking it is going to snap off.

I've been spoilt using hynpose for so long, it's going to be hard to find a drugstore mascara that ticks all the boxes - I am still in mourning for l'oreal's voluminous that is no longer sold in Australia.

on 12/2/2008 2:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this product! I already have big long eyelashes and this mascara enhances them even further :) I apply 2 coates and when I want an even more dramatic look i apply 3-4 coates. It doesn't flake which is another plus :)

on 11/16/2008 4:06:00 PM

The only reason i buy this is to comb through my lashes after i apply like a zillion coats of L'oreal voluminous carbon black. they work really well together. lots of drama. but on its own, lashes look defined, yes, but thin, and it can make the lashes stick together. yet this complements voluminous to make my lashes look ridiculously fake. & this is perfect for the little lashes in the inner corners and for bottom lashes to deposit some color

on 11/5/2008 11:44:00 AM

This mascara is OK. L'oreal makes pretty good drugstore mascaras. I doubt this mascara would stand up to any designer mascara. I wouldn't repurchase this mascara. It was way too drying on my lashes. My lashes feel really hard and brittle with this mascara on. However, I experienced minimal clumping and the the brush seperates nicely. This mascara isn't dramatic at all it just produces dark, dry, separated but sparse semi long lashes. Nothing to rave about. This is not a volumizing mascara so If you're looking for full lush lashes try something else.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I HATED this mascara. It was clumpy, it didn't define, it made my lashes stick together, and flaked all day long. By noon I had raccoon lies. Beyond that, it was a chore to apply no matter what I did! I would wipe off the comb a little, comb my lashes afterwords with a metal lash comb, still clumpy, spiderleg lashes. I hate this mascara and I will never repurchase. I have relatively long black lashes as is, for reference, and was simply looking for something to define. This is definitely not for me. (so far I've liked definicils/highdefinicils by lancome and for d/s, maybelline mascaras)

on 10/23/2008 1:58:00 PM

i read allot of reviews about this and decided to give it ago. im usually doubtful that the cheaper mascaras actually work and i keep to my few fave top end mascaras,but i was pleasantly surprised. this was really black and it fanned out my lashes and gave them length and thickness. i don't know why it clumps on other people i think it depends how much your using, i don't see the point on applying layer after layer of mascara. anyway i had no clumping and it was easy to use,and i like that it kind of combs your lashes while applying. i was a little surprised that the brush is so thin but it did the job well.the tube is in the shape of a mini telescope which i think is a little cheesy but that dosnt really matter.im not saying its as good as dior iconic or ysl faux cils but it is the best mascara I've used for a cheaper one and i would def buy again.

on 10/22/2008 10:56:00 PM

this mascara is pure crap. the brush is horrible...it picks up way too much product. whenever i use it, all my lashes clump together, but even on top of that, it doesn't make them any longer looking at all. i've only used this mascara a few times, and normally i hate to review something so soon, but i just can't get this mascara to work. everytime i use it, my lashes look so horrible i end up washing my face and starting all over...seriously. it really is a terrible mascara. and as for the color being darker than most other mascara, thats not true either. it looked no darker than any other mascara i've ever tried. for the approximately $10 pricetag for a drugstore mascara, its absolutely not even worth a try. save your money and buy a different one.
UPDATE (11/18/08): i've been using this for the past few weeks, trying to make it work for me but i still just can't. its pretty horrible. i forgot to mention the first time i reviewed it that it flakes horribly and its kind of hard to wash off. for some reason my DHC oil cleanser can't take it off so i have to go back over it with a makeup remover. to the trash it goes.

Popular Mascaras