Paula Dorf Eye Primer

3.7

Beeswax, Ozokerite, Petrolatum, Propylene Carbonate Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Dimethicone Copolyol, Silica, Propylparaben, Titanium Dioxide (May Contain), Iron Oxides (May Contain), Ultramarines (May Contain)

on 10/29/2012 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this product on a whim from Drugstore dot com and it had decent reviews there. I think this product has it's use (as I later read) as a primer for a simple wash of color. If you actually use several e/s on your lid and need something to keep that in place, then keep looking.

I'm looking at MAC Painterly or Soft Ochre pot next.

on 9/6/2012 1:26:00 PM

Huge disappointment. I put it on while I'm applying concealer, and the primer itself actually creases before I can even apply shadow. So I wipe off the creased bit, powder, and continue as usual, and my eyeliner is in my lid crease by noon. I've never had a primer just flat refuse to work before. This one is supposed to be one of the best. I bought it on the strength of the Non-Blonde's review; she lists it as a favorite.

SAs never believe me when I tell them the grease power of my skin can easily overcome a primer. Laura Mercier and Urban Decay work well enough, and cover the lids better. This Paula Dorf is a bit below the staying level of Benefit primer, minus Benefit's concealing power. And it cost more than all those others.

on 5/2/2012 2:23:00 PM

i wouldn't describe my skin as dry, but this primer highlights wrinkles + flaky patches that i never noticed before. it's also light for my skin (NC25) + i have to blend a lot so it's not noticeable. it's a solid cream in a pot so i thought it'd be moisturizing, but it takes too long to use.

on 4/14/2012 5:56:00 PM

I have a lot of eye primers/color correctors in my stash, but this just may be my favorite. I bought it from HSN in a package that included the excellent taklon brush.

My lids are dry, but definitely discolored. I've used various products to even out the color (esp. Paint Pots) but a lot of the time the color is either too dark or too light.)

This product evens out the color without adding an unnatural shade. I frequently use it on its own (w/o shadow) and it looks natural. Long-lasting and easy to apply.

on 10/16/2011 11:10:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I do like that this eyeshadow primer covers some mild discoloration on my eyelids. My eye area is dry, so I don't experience creasing (I seldom experience creasing with any product actually). I don't rate this primer higher because I've noticed a few blemishes under my browbone. I don't prefer primer that is packaged in a pan as you're touching it around your eyes and can easily cross contaminate. I toss products like this after 6 months, so the Paula Dorf becomes a pricey option. If you do choose to try this, be sure to use a good eyemakeup remover and cleanse thoroughly because it is quite adherent.

on 8/1/2011 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Have to agree with others who said this product is too greasy. My shadow creased immediately. Surprised that Sephora staff are still pushing it. Maybe it works for people with very dry skin.

on 5/15/2011 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This primer did nothing for me. I had the primer in 'deep'. It creased within an hour and did not hold my eye shadow well at all. This one is a thumbs down. The primers that have worked for me in the past are Mac Paint Pots (love, love, love), Black Raidance (great drugstore type primer) and Mary Kay.

on 4/22/2011 10:22:00 AM

I have tried many primers, probably all the ones in the market. I have been using paula dorf eye primer now for two years. The trick is you use it with the eye primer brush and use very little. I was taught to pat it into my skin and immediately put eye shadow on. My eyeshadows stay on all day all the color is true. Give it shot....

on 3/25/2011 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Surprised by the tepid reviews here, because I'm in love. Maybe the formula was improved between the last review, 2007, and mine in 2011. This Eye Primer is lighter than foundation, so it's kind to eyes that aren't as young as they used to be. And I find it to be complete and total magic for ERASING JET LAG around my eyes. It evens out the eyelid tone and provides an extra layer of dark-circle concealment without going weird or powdery.

on 1/14/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have used this eye primer nearly every day (under powder shadows) for around 10 years, and I am just finishing my third pot. In my 30s, it kept my eye makeup from creasing, but now that I am in my 40s and have less oil on my lids, I love how it evens out my skin tone. This product definitely keeps my eyeshadow colors true. I just tap my ring finger into the pot and then on my lids, blending well. You want to avoid putting on too much of this on lids or risk the Casper the Friendly Ghost look. It works very well on my NW15/20 skin, but I suspect it would be too light on medium tones and darker.