October 31, 2014 | 1430 users online

Makeup Brushes - Sephora - Professionnel Platinum Smokey Eye Brush #24

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2012 9:37:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

I bought this brush expecting it to work as the MAC 219 - to apply shadow on the lower lashline. It doesn't really work for my purpose. It's so stiff and has such a sharp point, it's like trying to apply eyeshadow with a toothpick. However, it is a very well-built brush, I just need to find a good use for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2010 11:06:00 PM More reviews by sevensees

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this brush,it is the best smudge brush I have ever used (include MAC219,NARS15,Laura Mercier smudge Etc.). It is soft but keep the shape very well afer washes. I use it everyday and it does its work soooo well. I will repurchase it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2010 1:52:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: I love to use this for concealer for small areas (where I don't want the concealer to be spread on with a bigger concealer brush.) Very precise application possible. .

CONS: Came with a sliding hard "cover," but I would like better protection than that. But then, most brushes come with nothing.

ALTERNATES: If you're using this for powder application, the MAC 219 Pencil Brush is a little less "pointy" than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 11:48:00 AM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have lots of eye brushes, but when I wanted to achieve a softer, smokier look with my black gel eyeliner, I decided that what I needed was a "pencil" brush, and that was one eye brush missing from my arsenal.

At first I thought I'd go for the MAC 219, since I LOVE MAC brushes, and the 219 seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

However, I'm an animal-welfare advocate, and once I found out that the MAC brush is made with "natural" fibers (a MAC artist admitted that this means “animal hair”), I knew I'd need to look elsewhere.

A helpful MUAer, shells08, directed me to the Sephora Smokey Eye brush, a Taklon pencil brush, and it's perfect! It even cost a few dollars less than the MAC brush.

The Sephora Smokey Eye brush is shaped like, well - a pencil. It's slightly smaller than a number two pencil, then the brushes taper to a point. The point is small, but not what I’d call “fine.” But you wouldn’t expect a fine point from a brush that’s intended to produce a smudged, “smoky” effect, anyhow. The Taklon bristles are firm, good for blending/smudging, but soft, which feels good against the eyelid.

I use this brush in tandem with my MAC 263 small angle brush. I use the angle brush to apply my gel liner (Bobbi Brown “Black Ink”) right along and into the upper lash line, then I immediately(I do one eye at a time, since I need to work quickly) go over it with Stila’s “Ebony” eyeshadow, using the Smokey Eye brush. The result is a defined but soft and natural-looking “dense lashes” effect.

Though I normally shop MAC when I want a great brush, I was very happy to find a good alternative in this case. I expect my Smokey Eye brush to get lots of use. I fully intend to buy this one again, when my original wears out.

This is a classic case of not knowing you needed something until you got it.
UPDATE: I have used this brush a number of times, and it is *wonderful!* It glides across your lashline, placing the liner or shadow precisely where you want it.
Knowing that it's synthetic helps me enjoy it even more.

Anyone who wants a softened effect with eyeliner should BUY THIS BRUSH, RIGHT NOW!
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2008 3:35:00 PM More reviews by MsMcGee

I love this brush. I bought it for no real reason but now it is my HG brush. I like to put a light color right on my upper eyelash because it helps give the illusion of a crease (i'm asian.) This brush does it perfectly, the bristles are soft but stay in shape. The brush is thick enough so that the bristles stay firm and keep the eyeshadow right where I want it. I was shocked the first time I used it because the bristles didn't flatten out and put color all over, like my eyelashes. Most of my brushes are Shu Uemura and if this brush broke, I would run to Sephora to get another!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2007 4:55:00 AM More reviews by jhadiq

Last time I went to Sephora, I was looking for another of their lipliner brushes to use as my liner brush for cream/gel liners. To my dismay, the store I went to didn't have it! So I picked this up instead. It is a taklon brush that starts off looking like a smudger, but comes to a fine point at the end. While this does a superior job of making *either* a thin or thick line, it is virtually impossible to get anything in-between, which is actually what I want/need. (You vary the thickness of the line based on how much you depress the bristles against the skin, much like a felt-tip pen) Nevertheless, this does get the job done, and is the superior choice for a thicker line on the upper lid. This brush actually makes quick work of starting out with a thin line on the inner corner, tapering to a thick one at the outer. While it's nice to have a specialized tool like this, for me, it wasn't 100% necessary. I still need my "thin-to-medium" line, so I still have to buy my lipliner brush. Wouldn't cry or repurchase if I lost this one, but it's nice to have and use in the meantime.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2007 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Lcbc

This is an excellent brush for a thicker lash line and to smoke out the liner. It's super soft, dense and moderately stiff. The tip allows for precise application but not so small that you have to keep applying more product. I can use this everyday, as well as for when I want to create a more dramatic evening look. It's versatile that way. I use it with both powder liners and with loose mineral liners.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2007 11:48:00 AM More reviews by Bellla

Good quality brush, however it is identical to the eyeliner side of Stila's double ended brush, which I have also, so I won't be repurchasing. If you have Stila's brush skip this one.