December 22, 2014 | 1749 users online

Styling Products - Farouk CHI - 44 Chi Iron Guard

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by forgetfuljones

This is a really great product! I'm actually really surprised by the reviews. I bought this on a whim before checking product reviews because I really needed a new heat protectant. I got home and checked the reviews here, and I almost returned it before even trying it. I decided to just give it a shot, and I'm glad I did. I bought this primarily for curling my hair with a flat iron. I haven't used it yet for straightening, but I'm sure it would work for that too. For reference, I have extremely thick, wavy, unruly hair that is just below bra strap length.

I clip my hair up in 4 big sections and spray this all over each sections before curling. My curls are bouncy, soft, and shiny, never sticky or hard like other reviewers have said. My style lasts all day with just a little bit of hairspray at the end. I use a pretty generous amount of this stuff too, so I'm not sure what is going on with people's poor results. Maybe people are using way too much? Yes, the scent is pretty strong and smells like men's cologne (like Cool Water), but once it dries, I don't even notice it.

I took off 1 lippie because I really wish this stuff would dry faster. It makes my hair really wet, and it takes a good 2 minutes each section for this stuff to dry. So we are talking a total of 8 minutes of standing around waiting for my hair to dry. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you are trying to get out the door in the morning, it really does make a big difference. I learned the hard way to NEVER flat iron while hair is wet, not even damp. You will fry your hair beyond repair. lol

I think I paid about 15 bucks for this, which I really don't think is a bad price. All the big chain salons always have good sales, and I'm sure you can pick it up much cheaper if you can wait for a sale. Don't let the negative reviews scare you. I think it is a great product, especially if you have the right hair type. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 7:52:00 PM More reviews by LyricNicole1125

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is the only heat protecting spray I'll use when I'm styling dry hair. Most heat protecting sprays leave your hair feeling heavy, and you have to wait a little bit for them to dry. This one is different! You can spray and immediately start straightening or curling your hair. I've repurchased this a bunch of times, and I plan to continue.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2014 2:03:00 PM More reviews by amk1095

I was highly disappointed with this product, it leaves my hair more dry and brittle than it would be without using any product. It also makes my hair feel very sticky like a strong hole hairspray and the smell is not great either.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2014 1:40:00 PM More reviews by halfsmile49

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The first time I use my Chi flat iron, I used this product. It did a decent job, and my hair way pretty straight, so I was satisfied, considering my hair is extremely curly, thick, and difficult to straighten. I did this during the summer, and it was humid, however, and my hair did not hold up to the humidity at all. An hour later my hair was at this awkward not curly not straight stage. It was awful. I used this again, and decided that I absolutely hated the smell; it would almost make me gag. It also didn't even fully straighten my hair this time! every time I used it after that, I'd get the same result. I finally had to buy a different product, because this just wasn't working for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 4:49:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was may first "salon" heat/thermal protectant spray. I have fine straight hair that is almost waist length (I'm an inch short) and find this does make my hair feel kind out dry after application. I apply to hair, wait until dry then proceed with my curling iron. I find it does protect the hair from burning, but leaves it looking "matte or flat". I find I need to use a shine spray afterwards.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by hannahmartin

I got this for free with my limited edition chi iron (breast cancer awareness), the packaging is pink, but I believe it is the same exact product. This product makes my fine wavy hair sticky and hard. I can't run my hands through it after and it looks dead. Dislike, and am currently on the market for something new. I'm thinking Redken 02 Satinwear based on these reviews.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 7:37:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this at TJ Maxx for 10 bucks and would hate to pay anymore than that for a product Like this. I'm not one for bashing a product just because I didn't personally like it or because it didn't work for my hair type I like to give things a chance before doing so. But here is my verdict for this spray: At first I liked it and loved the smell but the more I used it and read the ingredients the more i started. Shying away from it. My hair is dense but thin so despite using a light enough amount it seemed to weigh my hair down and I recently bleached and put pink panels in my hair and noticed it fading out more every time. I am aware that heat can cause this but I definitely don't crank up the heat setting on my flat iron. I saw that sodium is one of the top ingredients in this spray so I wouldn't doubt that's the reason why it aided in fading my color and why everyone keeps complaining about the stiffness and dryness. Overall, if you have fine or really chemically processed hair I wouldn't recommend this. But if you have hair on the thicker side maybe it wouldn't be so bad..I passed it down to my sister in law who has really thick and long hair and she seems to like it just fine so Its just a matter of your hair type I suppose...Hence the 3 lippies

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by kirito

I rarely use heat products on my hair because my hair can never hold a curl since it's pin straight, even with hair spray. I used the Chi Iron Guard a few times when I curled my hair with my Bed Head flat iron, and without hair spray, the curl actually held for a few hours, which is extremely unusual. I don't know if the Iron Guard actually was the reason for the curl holding, but that was the only thing I changed in my routine. I used to use the Tresseme heat tamer spray, which worked well, but after I used the Chi Iron Guard, the curl held.

However, I don't know if my bottle was badly made or what, but I recently dropped the bottle on the floor, and it bursted. It wasn't exposed to heat or anything, so it was just strange.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by Paigiss

The are multiple things wrong with this product.

1. The smell - in small amounts, the smell is fine, maybe even quite pleasant. But since it is a heat protectant, you have to spray it all over your hair, and the smell is disgusting

2. The actual product - this is horrible. It dried out my hair soo much, and made it tangly. It even made it harder to straighten. It was like I sprayed a whole bottle of hairspray on my hair. After I was done with it, my hair looked like a thick, tangly, frizzy mess. It didn't even stay straight the whole day!

3. The price - I mean, really? All of this for $18? I got this on sale for $12, and I think even that is ridiculous for how bad this product is.

IF you really want to buy this product, make sure your hair is brushed VERY well before you use it. And when you section your hair, before and after you spray the product, brush each section.

Will not be buying this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2013 2:00:00 PM More reviews by boribabe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this spray but it dried out my hair :(. It's sticky too.

On the flip side, my friend uses it daily to straighten her hair and her hair is beautiful and shiny. It just doesn't work for me.