Maybelline Define A Lash

3.3

Ingredients from packaging: Isodecane, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Cera Carnauba Wax, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Water (Agua), Allyl Stearate/VA Copolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Paraffin, Alcohol Denat., Polyvinyl Laurate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Talc, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, PEG 30 Glyceryl Stearate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, May Contain ( /-):, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides)

on 5/28/2015 6:31:00 AM

The is one of the mascaras I got during my search for replacing the discontinued Shu Uemura Basic. Too much oomp compares to Shu so not what I want. This is similar to NYC skyrise lengthening ( NYC is cheaper but wetter). I am using lash discovery from maybelline right now, which has less oomp compares to this ( but still too much when compares to shu )

on 5/14/2015 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this during a sale at priceline (in australia) just to try out different mascaras. The Define a lash unfortunately didn't work. It melted under my eyes, it makes my nicely curled lashed drop, didn't really lengthen, maybe little bit of thickness to the lashes because of the clumps…. a little sad here :(

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

One of my very first mascara's that i used and it did the job! It definitely "defined my lashes" by lengthening and darkening :)

I purchased this mascara on a whim; I'd see it before,and it's definitely not a new kid on the mascara block. As my favorite mascara (Covergirl LashBlast Length Water Resistant) gets harder to find here in Australia, I've been on the hunt for a replacement to ease the impending devastation when I can no longer get it.

My mascara requirements are probably a little different to most; I'm not really interested in volume (meh), but I want length (definitely), natural looking separation/definintion (yes please) without having lashes that feel crunchy, or mascara that pulls out half my eyelashes trying to get it off. Sometimes I go for Waterproof, but after a slew of really nasty crunchy WP experiments lately (Maybelline Illegal Length, I'm looking at you), I decided to play it safe.

So, I put this on my peepers yesterday morning. Pleasantly surprised. Length? Check. Definition? Check. Non-crunchy? Check. Is it as good at giving me what I want from the Covergirl Lashblast? Almost. The only thing that holds back my opinion is a slight tendency for lashes to stick together. Not quite clumping; there's no obvious globs of mascara, but just a little less separation than I'd like. It could be operator error; I've since read a review on MUA that recommends not zigzaging the mascara, so I'll give that a go tomorrow and see if that works better. It could also be that, given the formula is quite wet, I just need to be more careful until it dries. Also, perhaps when the tube dries out a little, this problem might resolve. However, one unexpected bonus was a surprising amount of curl. A who doesn't love a bit of curl?!

Overall, I'd say that discovering this mascara was a happy accident. Does it topple my long term love affair with CG LashBlast Length? Not quite. But it deserves an honourable mention. Will you love it too? If you're after natural length and definition, and don't mind a wet formula, you might want to girl it a whirl. Who knows? You might find yourself a new HG. However, if you're a false-lash-loving, dramatic-volume kinda girl, probably best give this one a miss... Leave it for me so I have something to cling to once my HG finally becomes impossible to buy.

on 3/6/2015 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

PROS:
- wonderful small brush that really gets into your lashes
- gives you natural looking, defined lashes

CONS:
- not much volume
- small amount of clumping

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

waterproof one was just too wet for me. It made my lashes all clumped and droopy

on 1/30/2015 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

PROS:
- no clumping
- wonderful small brush that really gets into your lashes
- gives you natural looking, defined lashes

CONS:
- not much volume

on 11/18/2014 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is an okay mascara. It gives me really natural looking lashes. It clumps sometimes and smudges on me by the end of the day. I think the brush is actually great. It's somewhat flimsy but it applies the mascara well. It doesn't give you volume but gives you some length. It's a bit hard to get off also. Probably won't be repurchasing though.

on 10/8/2014 8:57:00 PM

Kind of surprised by the low ratings on this one. I have very sensitive eyes, and this is one of the few mascaras I can wear without irritation. I like that it doesn't clump, doesn't flake, and comes off easily at the end of the day with a little cleanser. I have pretty good lashes to begin with, and this adds some nice definition -- not wild drag queen lashes, so if you're looking for that, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a good, basic, lengthening mascara you can wear day to day, this one's worth a try.

on 9/16/2014 5:06:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I use this mascara because I love having lengthy eyelashes. This mascara does just that. It doesn't clump my lashes at all. It provides some volume, but if you're looking for a good deal of volume, this is not the right mascara for you. It's more focused on length, which it definitely provides. The color is brilliant and very black. The formula is more wet than creamy, but not wet enough to be a problem. The wand separates my lashes well and coats them quite evenly. The only problem I have with it is the fact that it's way too flexible. It's not stiff or sturdy at all. It bends if you don't put it back in the tube slowly and straight on, and if you're not paying attention, it can miss the tube and flick onto your hands and fingers. Other than that, I love this mascara.

Popular Mascaras