October 31, 2014 | 1617 users online

Mascara - Estee Lauder - Projectionist High Definition Volume Mascara

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by white05mustang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This was my HG mascara for YEARS until one day I bought a tube at the counter and paid full-price only to have it dry out in two weeks. I was convinced I paid full-price for an old product so I contacted Estee Lauder for a refund and I have never used it again. I have since found a mascara that I like better so everything worked in my favor, I suppose. This mascara does not clump on my naturally dark, long lashes, and is not harsh on my sensitive eyes. I used it just for what says, volume. However, it can flake off throughout the day. It removes easily with makeup remover, but it does dry out faster than some of its other competitors on the market.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by Disnep

Overall an okay mascara, I get this as a gift with purchace. Not impressive and not bad. Curl the lashes but weight them down throughout the time. Give a nice, neutral volume and length but not Wow effect. Do smudge but no flakes. And I cannot wear it in summer because it is not waterproof what so ever, when I sweating and this mascara get into my eyes and make them tears so bad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

I've received this as a Gift With Purchase quite a few times now. While it's not the best mascara in the world, it's not bad either.
The formula is not super dry, but it's more on the dry side. I don't really like super wet, thin mascaras but I don't like dry, thick ones either, and I think this is a happy medium. It's wet enough to be nice and waxy to really coat your lashes but it's dry enough that it won't smear everywhere after applying.
The brush is bristled and cone-shaped. It tapers down to a relatively thin point at the end so it's easy to get your inner corner lashes. I've been going more for rubber wands lately but I do like the bristles on this. They aren't spikey and the product doesn't clump up on the brush.
As far as performance, this mascara does provide good volume at the base of my lashes. Nothing crazy, not really a "WOW" factor to it, but it's nice. It adds enough length to make my lashes more noticeable, but again, it doesn't give "Wow, look at those lashes!" length. I'd consider this a more natural looking mascara, which is good for everyday, but I typically prefer my lashes to stand out a bit more.
My biggest issue with Projectionist is that it tends to dry out rather quickly, and when it starts drying out, it gets super goopy and thick. The main part of the wand still picks up the right amount of product without being clumpy, but the tapered end of the brush will come out with gobs of gooey, thick mascara that takes ages to wipe off. Even after getting off as much as I can, it's still difficult to get the inner corners without getting a big old black glob on the corner of my eyelid. I don't think this is just because I've tried GWP sizes, though, because each one I tried did this and I try lots of deluxe sample sized mascaras that don't dry out this quickly.
Overall, this is a decent mascara. I wouldn't shell out money for it myself, but I wouldn't mind receiving it as a gift or as a GWP again.
(By the way, I think the price on this went down? Last time I was at a counter I thought it was $25+, but I'm seeing it online now for $21.)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by CherryBerryPie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Really good mascara that gives my thin, short lashes lots of length. The volume is not maybe the best but if I put on 2-3 coats it looks quite good. The staying power is great. It does not fall down and the consistency is neither too wet or dry. It just perfect for me. I bought mine online for much cheaper than what it costs in department stores. I think I found a replacement for my previous favorite Diorshow.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2012 9:55:00 AM More reviews by iqaganda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Brush: The brush is a medium sized brush in a cone shape with densely packed bristles. For my opinion, the brush itself is quite hard to get a hold of, making my application of this mascara the messiest of all the mascaras I've ever encountered in the past.

Formula: The formula is a so-so for me. It claimed that it gives you volume where as in fact, yes, it gives volume but I find this formula gives me more length than volume. The worst thing about this mascara for me is that the formula is too wet for me and it takes time for me to let it dry making my already messy application an even messier application. Also, I love the jet-black color since it gives my eye an even sharper edge.

Packaging and Price: The price is quite fine for my opinion as Estee Lauder is one of the high end brand. It's quite reasonable. About the packaging, I love that unique packaging.

Will I buy this again? Straight answer, no. I can find a better mascara in a cheaper price than sticking up for this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by 09remy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First let me start by saying that I am a mascara junkie! I am always on the hunt for the perfect mascara but hate paying top dollar for tubes that dry up in 2 months. I love this mascara! It is the only one that I have found that gives volume & lengthens without smudging. I will & do continue to repurchase this one. It gives such great length & definition. I do use a Shu Uemura eyelash curler first(will never be without one!) So I'm sure that helps. I get compliments on my lashes frequently...and alone they are short & straight...so this mascara does a lot! I tell everyone how much I love this stuff & my hunt is now over for the best mmascara.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by MEISIEKIND

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well ,firstly this is way to overpriced for what it does.Gives definition,but smudges like crazy.I have to put multiple coats of this on just to see some volume.I found this in my stash,and now i remember why i didnt use it for a while.There are way cheaper mascaras out there .That simply outperforms this.Mx factor is a great line of mascaras for less that half of the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by lemonpopper

This is my favourite mascara, the brush is big and thick, and really gives me the volume and definition I want. It never clumps on my lashes and it doesn't irritate my eyes. The formula is amazing, this stays on till the end of the day. I find it so easy to just put this on in a few strokes and I'm done. I would recommend this to anyone who can afford this because it's such a great mascara, but a little out of my price range.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2011 3:01:00 AM More reviews by jlai08

Defines lashes very nicely. Does not smudge. Perfect for natural makeup looks.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Jilliterate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

EDIT 5/2/2011: Changing some portions of this review, because apparently I've been taking this mascara for granted

This is my go-to favourite mascara. I find it gives my eyelashes (which are fairly long and thick, but also very pale) excellent definition without making them spidery, fake-looking, or even like I'm wearing a lot of mascara. I originally didn't think much of the "volume" aspects of this mascara, but I recently tested it against some other mascaras I own, and inspected it carefully. This mascara really does volumize nicely -- it makes my lashes look lush and thick, without clumping them together. I always comb my lashes out after applying mascara, but I find this mascara one of the best I've used for giving a good, natural-looking effect upon application. I don't have to comb as much, because my lashes aren't as clumped together.

I love this stuff, and when my sample runs out, I'll definitely be going out and buying a tube, since it's now my mascara staple.