DevaCurl No Poo

3.6

on 2/4/2015 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I started using the DevaCurl No-Poo Shampoo and Conditioner about 6 months ago. I had only transitioned over to my naturally curly hair for a few months prior and had been using shampoos that contained sulfates. My hair was unruly and full of frizz which I couldn't seem to control. This devacurl line saved me--after about a week of using I had less frizz, tighter curls, and more shine to my hair. The price is expensive, at 20 dollars a pop. I have short, above shoulder length hair so it lasted me 6 months, which I was pleasantly surprised at considering the small bottle. The product is dense so while it seemed like I was using a lot, I wasn't. For longer hair, though, this would be an expensive purchase. It doesn't lather, but isn't hard to work into hair. It doesn't give you that squeaky-clean feeling (it's not supposed to), which is nice because it feels much healthier for your hair.

However, my hair has become much dryer and frizzier in the past couple of months, most likely because of the colder weather. Currently I am only using the DevaCurl No-Poo and conditioner, and of course I would benefit from using a leave-in conditioner or deep treatment. That said, I just don't think this line is worth the price. For what it costs, I think this line should be doing more for my hair than it is. If I'm spending $40 on shampoo and conditioner, I want it to really be moisturizing, or I'm going to find a better alternative so I can purchase other treatments without breaking the bank. Especially as my hair grows longer I think it won't be worth it. I am out of my Devacurl product and am going to try the SheaMoisture line, which has great reviews and is half the price. I am not going to repurchase the No-Poo shampoo and conditioner unless I really can't find something else to use.

TL;DR: Better results with this line than with sulfate shampoos, but I don't think the product lives up to its price. Probably will not repurchase.

on 10/5/2014 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been using this for 2 weeks with DevaCurl conditioner and gel, it works great! It's odd at first to use shampoo that doesn't make suds, but you kind of massage it into your scalp rather than run it through all of your hair. The scalp massage feels good and afterwards, my hair does feel cleansed without being stripped. It smells good, kind of minty. I wash my hair daily but don't need a lot of shampoo, so the bottle will last a good while.
I don't know if I can go back to using a sudsy shampoo, this one is so nice!

on 8/13/2014 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I didn't find this product to be very moisturizing at all. My hair didn't feel all the way clean either. And, i am not a fan of its scent at all. This product simply ended up being a huge fail for me.

on 7/21/2014 12:14:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have type 3a curls, fine/medium texture, high porosity, highlighted/color treated. I also live in very humid, Southwest Florida. My curl pattern is lazy due to environment, sports and mother time and if I don't take proper care of my hair (keep it hydrated), the Florida humidity will suck the life the out of it ensuring bad hair days for 8 months out of the year.

I have used both the Low Poo and the No Poo by DevaCurl and hands down, for most curlies, I truly believe that No Poo is the better option. I always thought that with my lazy, 3a curls that Low Poo would be the best bet for volume, etc... but this simply is not the case. Where frizz is involved, there is a moisture problem and No Poo is the first step in addressing this. When I use Low Poo, halo frizz factor is much higher.

After wetting my hair in the shower, I apply about a quarters worth of No Poo to my length and then another quarters worth to my scalp. I then quickly rewet my scalp and massage, massage, massage! I then rinse completely and follow with DevaCurl One Condition. Whenever I stray from DevaCurl, it takes about 5 washings for my hair to really rehydrate and one week out, I often find myself wondering if I even need to apply any One Condition. The No Poo leaves my hair THAT hydrated.

No Poo has a very light, minty scent and I have never experienced any build-up with the product. There is no doubt that DevaCurl products take a bit of experimenting with... maybe too much experiment time for most people looking for instantaneous results; however, if you are patient and enjoy working with your hair, these products will work! I have a feeling that folks who dislike many of the Deva products simply do not give the system enough time to work or they are using the products incorrectly. continued >>

on 7/10/2014 8:32:00 PM

I have 3C curls. I colour. My hair is past my shoulders. I always come back to this. Especially in summer. This keeps my hair soft and sane. No brillo hair. No pyramid head. No problems.

on 6/28/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this, but it did nothing my for thick wavy/curly hair. In fact, using it with the conditioner and gel, I wound up getting a heavy product build-up that looked like bad dandruff!! UGH! Won't repurchase. There are many moisturizing shampoos that clean much better--like Ouidad Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil.

on 6/9/2014 11:00:00 PM

This is the first time I've written a review (despite wanting to write others) but that's because I've just figured out that this shampoo is what has actually been causing me much anguish the past couple of months. I had thought that I was breaking out terribly and in a way I never had before because I stopped using Proactiv suddenly; instead, the disastrous state of my forehead is due to this product. Some other people have said it's caused them to break out but haven't known why - I think it might be because this contains cocamidopropyl betaine, which is apparently coconut-derived. This also never did anything at all for my fine, wavy/curly hair - I kept using it because it's expensive and I didn't want it to go to waste, but now that I know it's the culprit for my messed up skin I'm throwing this stuff out right away!

on 9/14/2013 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I like this product, I really do but i don't feel as if it delivers enough for its price. It smells exactly like papaya and bubblegum which is an alright scent. if you're looking for a shampoo kinda clean, go for a sulfate-free organic shampoo cause this is a conditioning shampoo so its exactly like a really light conditioner. it does do some cleaning though cause of its really light natural ingredients (no silicones, parabens, etc) , but like i said not complete cleaning. I shampoo my hair twice every 2/3 weeks for a deep cleansing, but i use this every other day when i was my hair! I have 3/c biracial transitioning hair!

on 9/9/2013 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really liked how this cleanser worked, left my hair feeling clean without being stripped. Tamed my curls pretty well using Devacurl One-Condition after No-Poo. The only complaint I has is that it doesn't smell that great, kind of chemically. I do have a sensitivity to smells and this one can give me a headache from time to time, but I still use the product, just disguise the smell by using a touch of another better smelling product to mask it. II have wavy- to loose spiral-ish crazy curls that are very prone to frizziness and breakage. This product has worked better than most all of the others I've tried....and I've tried A LOT.

on 7/24/2013 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I just started using DevaCurl No Poo about a week ago. So far, so good. My hair is really soft & not as frizzy as usual. My friend gave me a sample size of the No Poo & since I think my hair is improving, I just ordered a starter kit from Ulta that comes with the One Condition, No Poo, Defining Gel, the microfiber towel & some clips for volumizing. My hair is not curly at all. I used to have wavy hair years ago, but I started straightening it all of the time, & my friend who is a hair stylist said that after straightening my hair for so long, I've been making the hair shaft go straight. She said that DevaCurl should help encourage my hair back to it's wavy ways (fingers crossed). I'm just trying to get away from all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc., as well as having to wash my hair daily due to my very oily scalp. I know that using the shampoos with all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc. have made my scalp want to over-produce its natural oil, which is why I had to wash it everyday. I can't wait til I can skip days washing my hair. My hair feels clean, soft, & it's like I don't even need to use conditioner. Tip: you should never use a regular terry cloth towel to dry your hair. The fabric is rough on your hair, makes it frizzier & also makes it more susceptible to breakage. My friend told me to use 100% cotton t-shirts until I can get my microfiber towel in the mail.

So far, no complaints what-so-ever. I really don't see why so many people have been complaining about the smell. It smells like tea tree oil, but it's not overpowering at all. Plus, you can't even smell it throughout the day.

Popular Hair Products