April 17, 2014 | 898 users online

Hair - DevaCurl - No Poo

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Bela330

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this product, I really do but i don't feel as if it delivers enough for its price. It smells exactly like papaya and bubblegum which is an alright scent. if you're looking for a shampoo kinda clean, go for a sulfate-free organic shampoo cause this is a conditioning shampoo so its exactly like a really light conditioner. it does do some cleaning though cause of its really light natural ingredients (no silicones, parabens, etc) , but like i said not complete cleaning. I shampoo my hair twice every 2/3 weeks for a deep cleansing, but i use this every other day when i was my hair! I have 3/c biracial transitioning hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by wolfas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really liked how this cleanser worked, left my hair feeling clean without being stripped. Tamed my curls pretty well using Devacurl One-Condition after No-Poo. The only complaint I has is that it doesn't smell that great, kind of chemically. I do have a sensitivity to smells and this one can give me a headache from time to time, but I still use the product, just disguise the smell by using a touch of another better smelling product to mask it. II have wavy- to loose spiral-ish crazy curls that are very prone to frizziness and breakage. This product has worked better than most all of the others I've tried....and I've tried A LOT.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by oohhBETTY

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just started using DevaCurl No Poo about a week ago. So far, so good. My hair is really soft & not as frizzy as usual. My friend gave me a sample size of the No Poo & since I think my hair is improving, I just ordered a starter kit from Ulta that comes with the One Condition, No Poo, Defining Gel, the microfiber towel & some clips for volumizing. My hair is not curly at all. I used to have wavy hair years ago, but I started straightening it all of the time, & my friend who is a hair stylist said that after straightening my hair for so long, I've been making the hair shaft go straight. She said that DevaCurl should help encourage my hair back to it's wavy ways (fingers crossed). I'm just trying to get away from all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc., as well as having to wash my hair daily due to my very oily scalp. I know that using the shampoos with all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc. have made my scalp want to over-produce its natural oil, which is why I had to wash it everyday. I can't wait til I can skip days washing my hair. My hair feels clean, soft, & it's like I don't even need to use conditioner. Tip: you should never use a regular terry cloth towel to dry your hair. The fabric is rough on your hair, makes it frizzier & also makes it more susceptible to breakage. My friend told me to use 100% cotton t-shirts until I can get my microfiber towel in the mail.

So far, no complaints what-so-ever. I really don't see why so many people have been complaining about the smell. It smells like tea tree oil, but it's not overpowering at all. Plus, you can't even smell it throughout the day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This conditioner wash wasn't as good as I hoped. My hair type is 2C; frizz-prone, thick and wavy at the top with an underlayer of ringlets. It's also treated with permanent colorants from Goldwell and if left natural, I'd be about 30% gray (gray hair behaves differently - it's a little more dry and wiry than hairs that have melanin). I'm growing my hair out from a pixie and I need a regimen that will protect my hair from dryness while minimizing frizz and excess volume.
My hair seemed slightly frizzier and bushier with the No Poo than with other basic drugstore silicone-free conditioners used as a CO wash (favorite being TreSemme's Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner). It didn't feel dry, that's good, but I was left with a "That's it?" feeling after splurging on this special salon-quality conditioner wash. Not a lot of slip, either. My guess is the extra glycerin in No Poo is cleansing my hair too much. If you're arching your brow, lemme explain. I keep a bottle of vegetable glycerin on-hand to mix in with my conditioner if my scalp is feeling extra oily. It'll actually give my conditioner a small amount of sudsing power and it makes the conditioner work better as a cleanser. I don't want to use glycerin every day because I like my hair shaft to retain some natural oil; it frizzes less that way. So I returned the No Poo and now I'm now back to TreSemme. Oh well, it was an interesting experiment. lol!
I'd recommend No Poo to someone who wants extra body and doesn't need a lot of oil-based moisture. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have eczema on my scalp so I cannot use shampoo that lathers, otherwise my skin bleeds. This shampoo is amazing! It takes a while to get used to no suds but I find it cleans my hair perfectly. I never feel like my scalp or hair is stripped. I also like that it conditions too so I find myself using less conditioner to get out any tangles. Amazing for my wavy hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by elaina26

This product can work for all hair types. I have curly hair that usually feels like straw after using a normal shampoo, but not with this cleansing conditioner. I can actually run my fingers half way through my hair! I have never been able to do this with a shampoo or even some conditioners in my life! That being said this does not lather at all, but you get used to it. It smells like mint and the scent isn't very strong. I also have issues with a dry & itchy scalp (not dandruff) this no poo doesn't irritate me. It makes my scalp less dry. Makes my hair feel gorgeously soft. I feel like this product would even work for people with oily hair. Oil is produced when your head is dry and produces even more when completely stripped away with sulfates.(these people feel like they need to shampoo daily)Since no poo has no sulfates, silicones, or parabens I think people could break that cycle with this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by TheShe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have 3A - 3B curly hair that is not too dry. I almost always blow-dry my hair straight, so it is probably heat damaged but it looks fine. I went to Hawaii last year and air-dried my hair (too hot to blow dry), and to my great surprise, my curls actually looked pretty good. At home when I air-dried, my curls wouldn't form and I just had a giant frizzy brillo pad on my head, so I never wore it curly. But with all the humidity in Hawaii, my hair had enough moisture to curl up and look good! So, when I got home I started looking into how to moisturize my hair. I read about the CG method and tried it (with Suave Naturals co-wash), but it wasn't working very well - my hair felt greasy and I couldn't get past it. Plus when I tried to straighten it, it looked terrible (lank and stringy).
Then I heard about Devacurl from the naturallycurly site, and had my hairdresser friend buy me some at wholesale price. I tried it and I've never looked back. I really love it.
First, it gets my hair CLEAN. It actually lathers up into bubbles for me. The trick is you have to use a lot, and really work it in with your fingers, AND there has to be enough water mixed with it. It leaves me with hair that is literally squeaky clean. This is important for me because while my hair needs to be moisturized to look good curly, it's also pretty fine, so it gets weighed down if it doesn't start out really clean, and when it's weighed down it won't curl up well.
Second, the difference with my curls is NIGHT AND DAY. I can't stress enough that my natural texture was a frizzy mess with NO curl definition, before No-Poo. Now that I've been using it for about a year, my curls are really gorgeous, shiny, soft (not crispy), defined ringlets. I'm getting married this summer and I plan to wear my hair curly, and that is not something I would have ever even IMAGINED doing before. That's how good my hair looks after a year of No-poo.
Third and most surprisingly: my hair still looks amazing when I blow it out straight. Not only is it so much less dry-looking (I color process it with bleach), but if I straighten it and then it rains or is really humid outside, my hair just curls up and looks great, instead of turning into a gross frizzball.
There is one catch, though. You have to commit to eliminating ALL silicones from your hair's "diet". That most likely means you will have to use all new products and conditioner. If you continue to use products with silicones, YOU WILL GET BUILDUP, because the whole point of no-poo is that it doesn't contain drying sulfates, which are the only thing that can wash away silicones.
For conditioner, I use Deva One Condition. For products I use Devacurl B'Leave-in mixed with AnGel and a bit of their styling cream. It's just easier to use Deva stuff, since I know they won't have silicones in them and I don't have to spend forever squinting at tiny-type ingredient lists on other products.
The other, serious catch, is how expensive Devacurl products are at retail prices. I am really lucky that I can get them from my friend for 50% off. The retail prices are highway robbery - it's the only thing about this brand that I don't like. But, considering how much my hair has improved after using it, I would find a way to keep buying this stuff even if I didn't get the discount. Its worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 3:34:00 AM More reviews by beth247

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like No Poo, and maybe I would like it better if not for the godawful rose scent that makes me smell like an old lady. Honestly, even though I have moisture needing curly hair, I can't see myself using this as my main full-time cleanser, because eventually I'd be getting product build-up from the gel I use to tame the curls. I'd end up needing a clarifying shampoo once a week because it seems to be a cleansing conditioner. Maybe I'll try the DevaCare version sometime because to my nose, it smells much better than this the DevaCurl No Poo. Will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I have long-ish hair that is cut in layers all the way down to about my bra hooks. It is not thin, not big, just normal volume with a wimpy 2b S-curl on the bottom, but 3b tight curls on top? yes, it air-drys really strange looking. So needless to say, in response I have chemically straightened my hair most of my life.

I did grow my hair out once, and try to wear my hair curly, or "naturally" and this led me to seek out such products.

I bought this as part of my first venture to DevaCurl or even "curly-hair specific" hair products. I was somewhat ok with it (ok, you get some moisture retention, but not much frizz reduction, but at least it didn't weight my curls down for the price of the moisture).

However, the shampoo is in my "toss" bin because it keeps breaking my back out! Not sure what's in this, but after just one wash, I will have 3-5 cystic acne bumps on my upper back.

If it had not broke me out, I would have rated this shampoo a "2" because I felt that over time, I needed to use a clarifying shampoo because it wasn't cleaning that much. Also, it didn't work for my overall hair look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This product is suppose to be for curly hair, but I find it works great on my straight, medium fine hair. It's a bit like Wen Cleansing Conditioner, in that it doesn't lather. This is a great product if you're trying to ween yourself off of shampoo. Smells good too!