October 2, 2014 | 939 users online

Hair - DevaCurl - No Poo

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 8:04:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

I didn't find this product to be very moisturizing at all. My hair didn't feel all the way clean either. And, i am not a fan of its scent at all. This product simply ended up being a huge fail for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2014 12:14:00 PM More reviews by SherryL

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have type 3a curls, fine/medium texture, high porosity, highlighted/color treated. I also live in very humid, Southwest Florida. My curl pattern is lazy due to environment, sports and mother time and if I don't take proper care of my hair (keep it hydrated), the Florida humidity will suck the life the out of it ensuring bad hair days for 8 months out of the year.

I have used both the Low Poo and the No Poo by DevaCurl and hands down, for most curlies, I truly believe that No Poo is the better option. I always thought that with my lazy, 3a curls that Low Poo would be the best bet for volume, etc... but this simply is not the case. Where frizz is involved, there is a moisture problem and No Poo is the first step in addressing this. When I use Low Poo, halo frizz factor is much higher.

After wetting my hair in the shower, I apply about a quarters worth of No Poo to my length and then another quarters worth to my scalp. I then quickly rewet my scalp and massage, massage, massage! I then rinse completely and follow with DevaCurl One Condition. Whenever I stray from DevaCurl, it takes about 5 washings for my hair to really rehydrate and one week out, I often find myself wondering if I even need to apply any One Condition. The No Poo leaves my hair THAT hydrated.

No Poo has a very light, minty scent and I have never experienced any build-up with the product. There is no doubt that DevaCurl products take a bit of experimenting with... maybe too much experiment time for most people looking for instantaneous results; however, if you are patient and enjoy working with your hair, these products will work! I have a feeling that folks who dislike many of the Deva products simply do not give the system enough time to work or they are using the products incorrectly. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 8:32:00 PM More reviews by LyrA236

I have 3C curls. I colour. My hair is past my shoulders. I always come back to this. Especially in summer. This keeps my hair soft and sane. No brillo hair. No pyramid head. No problems.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by aewhalen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this, but it did nothing my for thick wavy/curly hair. In fact, using it with the conditioner and gel, I wound up getting a heavy product build-up that looked like bad dandruff!! UGH! Won't repurchase. There are many moisturizing shampoos that clean much better--like Ouidad Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by anpurcell

This is the first time I've written a review (despite wanting to write others) but that's because I've just figured out that this shampoo is what has actually been causing me much anguish the past couple of months. I had thought that I was breaking out terribly and in a way I never had before because I stopped using Proactiv suddenly; instead, the disastrous state of my forehead is due to this product. Some other people have said it's caused them to break out but haven't known why - I think it might be because this contains cocamidopropyl betaine, which is apparently coconut-derived. This also never did anything at all for my fine, wavy/curly hair - I kept using it because it's expensive and I didn't want it to go to waste, but now that I know it's the culprit for my messed up skin I'm throwing this stuff out right away!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Bela330

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this product, I really do but i don't feel as if it delivers enough for its price. It smells exactly like papaya and bubblegum which is an alright scent. if you're looking for a shampoo kinda clean, go for a sulfate-free organic shampoo cause this is a conditioning shampoo so its exactly like a really light conditioner. it does do some cleaning though cause of its really light natural ingredients (no silicones, parabens, etc) , but like i said not complete cleaning. I shampoo my hair twice every 2/3 weeks for a deep cleansing, but i use this every other day when i was my hair! I have 3/c biracial transitioning hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by wolfas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really liked how this cleanser worked, left my hair feeling clean without being stripped. Tamed my curls pretty well using Devacurl One-Condition after No-Poo. The only complaint I has is that it doesn't smell that great, kind of chemically. I do have a sensitivity to smells and this one can give me a headache from time to time, but I still use the product, just disguise the smell by using a touch of another better smelling product to mask it. II have wavy- to loose spiral-ish crazy curls that are very prone to frizziness and breakage. This product has worked better than most all of the others I've tried....and I've tried A LOT.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by oohhBETTY

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just started using DevaCurl No Poo about a week ago. So far, so good. My hair is really soft & not as frizzy as usual. My friend gave me a sample size of the No Poo & since I think my hair is improving, I just ordered a starter kit from Ulta that comes with the One Condition, No Poo, Defining Gel, the microfiber towel & some clips for volumizing. My hair is not curly at all. I used to have wavy hair years ago, but I started straightening it all of the time, & my friend who is a hair stylist said that after straightening my hair for so long, I've been making the hair shaft go straight. She said that DevaCurl should help encourage my hair back to it's wavy ways (fingers crossed). I'm just trying to get away from all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc., as well as having to wash my hair daily due to my very oily scalp. I know that using the shampoos with all the silicones, sulfates, parabens, etc. have made my scalp want to over-produce its natural oil, which is why I had to wash it everyday. I can't wait til I can skip days washing my hair. My hair feels clean, soft, & it's like I don't even need to use conditioner. Tip: you should never use a regular terry cloth towel to dry your hair. The fabric is rough on your hair, makes it frizzier & also makes it more susceptible to breakage. My friend told me to use 100% cotton t-shirts until I can get my microfiber towel in the mail.

So far, no complaints what-so-ever. I really don't see why so many people have been complaining about the smell. It smells like tea tree oil, but it's not overpowering at all. Plus, you can't even smell it throughout the day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This conditioner wash wasn't as good as I hoped. My hair type is 2C; frizz-prone, thick and wavy at the top with an underlayer of ringlets. It's also treated with permanent colorants from Goldwell and if left natural, I'd be about 30% gray (gray hair behaves differently - it's a little more dry and wiry than hairs that have melanin). I'm growing my hair out from a pixie and I need a regimen that will protect my hair from dryness while minimizing frizz and excess volume.
My hair seemed slightly frizzier and bushier with the No Poo than with other basic drugstore silicone-free conditioners used as a CO wash (favorite being TreSemme's Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner). It didn't feel dry, that's good, but I was left with a "That's it?" feeling after splurging on this special salon-quality conditioner wash. Not a lot of slip, either. My guess is the extra glycerin in No Poo is cleansing my hair too much. If you're arching your brow, lemme explain. I keep a bottle of vegetable glycerin on-hand to mix in with my conditioner if my scalp is feeling extra oily. It'll actually give my conditioner a small amount of sudsing power and it makes the conditioner work better as a cleanser. I don't want to use glycerin every day because I like my hair shaft to retain some natural oil; it frizzes less that way. So I returned the No Poo and now I'm now back to TreSemme. Oh well, it was an interesting experiment. lol!
I'd recommend No Poo to someone who wants extra body and doesn't need a lot of oil-based moisture. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have eczema on my scalp so I cannot use shampoo that lathers, otherwise my skin bleeds. This shampoo is amazing! It takes a while to get used to no suds but I find it cleans my hair perfectly. I never feel like my scalp or hair is stripped. I also like that it conditions too so I find myself using less conditioner to get out any tangles. Amazing for my wavy hair!