Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20

3.8

Active ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate (Octinoxate) and Methyl Anthranilate. Other ingredients: Purified Water, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) PEG-40 Castor Oil (and) POE-20, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cyclomethicone, DEA-Ceryl Phosphate, Hexyl Laurate, Kalaya Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Carbomer, Methylparaben, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica.

on 8/7/2015 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I believed the hype and wanted to try this out specifically for my dry winter skin 6 months ago. I really haven't has much luck with tinted moisturizers because they always seem to emphasize my skin texture in a bad way. I don't feel like I have an extremely rough texture, it's not the eggshell that I would want but by no means "problem skin."
Anyway, I tried this and I think it actually made my pores look bigger...imagine the dimples on a golf ball or an empty lotus pod... eek! I've never had any product do that before.
The color match was good, which is nice because until recently brands were skimping on tinted moisturizer shades for WOC. The coverage was sheer and the scent was pleasant.
I returned it... The tinted moisturizer I'm looking for is in another castle.

on 8/3/2015 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Holy grail product!!! This is what got me started on make up! I apply it with the wet beauty blender lightly dabbing it onto the skin to blend it all in. The finish is flawless! This is by far the most natural looking bb cream I've ever used (and I've used many). Also LM is very good with matching skin tones, they have a wide variety to choose from and they always seem to work well for different people. I have very dry, very sensitive, fair skin with (sometimes) a little bit of rosacea around the cheek area. The coverage is medium. It has never made me break out or irritate my skin, on the contrary! I get the most compliments when I wear this. The only problem: it's somewhat expensive on a student budget when used daily. Other than that it's perfect! Packaging is also very good for traveling or carrying in the purse. If I apply it in the morning (without naps or work outs) it lasts till the evening though I do spray some MAC or UD finishing spray just to be extra sure (and mostly I use a smash box primer before if I can be bothered). However, touch ups do blend in easily and smoothly. It evens out the skin tone perfectly and leaves the skin looking smooth and soft. I love it!! ((:

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like to use this product when my skin is dry, or after I shower at the gym. I have combo oily skin, and this just doesn't last a whole day for me. I like it, and have tried the oil free version...same experience.

Not a bad product, just probably won't repurchase since there are better products for me- BB Cream (Skin 79) or BB water (smashbox)

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have never had as many 'your skin looks amazing!' comments as when I wear this product. I don't get it because it so light, barely detectable, yet everyone else comments! So I swear it must have something in it that is just magic! It lasts all day (when set with a fine powder) and the colour range is great.

on 7/16/2015 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought a full size of this a few years ago and then when it ran out I started buying the travel size for trips. Sephora usually has an airline-approved size. While I don't consider it perfect for my skin type, I do think it's a very good product and it would be better for me if my skin were drier. I know Laura Mercier makes an Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer and I've tried it but I don't like it as much. The finish isn't as smooth and the colors aren't the same. So instead I've bought this one and just powdered like crazy. I have not tried LM Secret Mattifying but an SA recommended it to me once as a good primer for this. Maybe that would solve it.

(If you're oily and have tried both of the LM TMs without success, I found Stila's Tinted Moisturizer to be good for combination to slightly oily skin. I used to buy that in the Light shade.)

I'm rating Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer 4 out of 5 because if your skin is normal to dry, which is the intended skin type, you'll probably love it.

If your skin is oily, keep looking.

I wear the "Nude" shade in this. I'm fair to light in complexion. Porcelain washed me out. The only shades available in the travel size were Nude and Sand. Sand is darker than Nude. Nude is a lovely neutral shade, not too pink or too yellow. As long as I wear it on my neck as well, it doesn't look too dark. In fact, it really makes my neck look better. I would almost buy it just for my neck. :)

The SPF 20 is sufficient for an average day of jaunts, but not for a day at the beach.

It's fragrance free, and non-irritating. I was able to wear it on days when some of my other foundations and tinted moisturizers were irritating to my skin.

My skin is combination to oily and also sensitive. This TM is not great at minimizing pores, but looks great with powder over it. It does make your skin look smoother due to sodium hyaluronate which is great at hiding fine lines. Coverage is minimal to light. For more coverage, I spot apply concealer over it, or use a powder foundation on top of this. If I don't do that, MAC Blot Powder becomes my faithful companion. If you are a fan of powder foundations, this pairs well with most of them.

Ingredients list for Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer:

(Nude, Porcelain, Sand, Fawn, Almond, Tan, Walnut): Active Ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate and Menthyl Anthranilate. Other Ingredients: Purified Water, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) PEG-40 Castor Oil, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cyclomethicone, DEA-Ceryl Phosphate, Hexyl Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Carbomer, Methylparaben, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica.

on 7/5/2015 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I remember when I first started wearing this product around two decades ago. I was around 25 years old and I had almost perfect skin. However, I'll never forget my sister's reaction. "Oh my God! Your skin looks incredible! What are you wearing? You look so dewy, young and natural!" (As though 25 was ancient - but it seemed like it at the time.)

Since then, countless new high-tech products have been introduced and there are so many choices that I'm frankly shocked at how popular this still is. Meanwhile, I'm now a broke single mom who no longer can afford to care enough about a perfect appearance to spend this much on makeup. Fortunately, my mother can, but for whatever reason discarded her own tube (which is about two shades too dark for me.) Happily, I did her the favour of taking it off her hands & mixed it with some relatively cheap super-pale foundation in order to lighten it up enough to wear (see Loreal review).

It was this combo that I was wearing when I once again saw my sister this year during our annual visit to the mountains & she remains my most trusted and honest of critics. I am telling the absolute truth when I tell you that she the exact same reaction when she saw me wearing the aforementioned mixture this year as she did on our visit 17 years ago. Neither time did she have any idea what makeup I was wearing. I think that says everything about the makeup, but just in case, I will add my own opinion.

I LOVE this tinted moisturiser even more at 40 then I did at 25 and for the exact same reasons. It is absolutely silky smooth & does not in any way highlight pores or fine lines, nor does it catch on dry spots. Instead it smooths them out and makes your skin - no matter how dry - look & feel dewy and comfortable (I live in Texas, but we were visiting arid Arizona & New Mexico during the visit, btw). It also has a great colour selection, but is so transparent that it's incredibly forgiving even when a couple of shades too dark. I would wear this for the rest of my life if I could afford to! Highly recommended.

on 6/24/2015 7:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was given this as a sampe with Porcelain and Nude shades. Porcelain is too white for my skin. My daughter said i look like a china doll.. very disappointing.. as it is really too white for me. With nude.. it's kind of a little bit dark for my skin. but still ok compare with Porcelain. The texture is a bit wierd. Kind of muddy and hard to blend to skin at first.... not easily glide on the skin. The coverage is very soft. if you used to apply foundation, this tinted moisturiser may not br enough. Due to the shades are not very suitable for me and the coverage is so soft, i decided not to buy it. Instead I bought the Silk Creme Foundation - shade Bamboo beige. However when i used this tinted moisturiser for a week (a pot of sample), it doesnt break me out, not oily as i chose the oil free. For acne prone skin, dont be afraid of trying this product. it is a good oil free tinted moisturiser.

on 6/19/2015 12:10:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this as part of the flawless kit at Sephora and only used it few months after I had first opened the undercover pot shade #2, which is such a great product and a perfect match for my skin tone. It's such a lightweight product that sinks into the skin as if I wear nothing but evening out my skin tone! I personally love this product for daily basis when I don't like to put heavy stuff on my face, but it might not be the product for those who want to cover spots as it won't do anything to them: that's why undercover pot is there to do the job. I even find this product makes my skin less oily. While I usually have to blot my face after 5 hours, I don't find I need to blot up to 8 hours with this, thanks to the super thin layer that it gives that no-makeup feeling. However, while it gives a beautiful glow to the skin, the yellow-orangy tone kinda makes my skin a bit darker (I wear shade "nude" that's supposed to be a good match with undercover pot #2). Maybe I should try the lighter shade for better match. But so far I enjoy wearing this easy, go-to product.

on 6/17/2015 6:39:00 AM

This is the first face product that I think is perfect on all accounts and I have finally found my HG. Some background: I have sensitive combination skin with normal cheeks and a very oily t-zone. I don't usually have break-outs (unless I use products that break me out), but I do have redness and blackheads.
Color: I use the color porcelain, which is a spot on perfect match. I have neutral leaning yellow undertones.
Ingredients: I break out very easily from face products and I always have to screen the ingredientlist thoroughly before I buy a product. Besides comedogenic ingredients I also screen for alcohol, perfume and other irritating ingredients. Not many products pass my test but I was surprised to find out that this actually did. The oil-free version did not pass, btw (on account of comedogenic). After using the regular version for nearly 6 months, I can safely say this does NOT break me out at all. I never tried the oil-free version so I can't say if it actually is comedogenic for me - I'm just not willing to try because of the ingredientlist.
Texture: the texture is very lightweight and it doesn't feel heavy on my skin at all. Due to having an oily t-zone I hate products that feel heavy and make my face more shiny, but this sinks in right away and doesn't add any shine. Normally I would've gone for the oil-free version, but I tried the regular version at my friend's and I felt it was perfect. The regular version already feels like an oil-free product. This combined with the different ingredients in the oil-free version made me go for the regular version and it's just great, even for my oily t-zone.
Moisturizing: for me this product is actually moisturizing enough to skip moisturizer when using this. So it's really an allround product for me. I use this and I've got on moisturizer, sunscreen and coverage. Bam. But my skin is normal to oily, so I guess if your skin is on the dry side, you probably would need to use an additional moisturizer. The moisture in this product comes, amongst other things, from hyaluronic acid, so it moisturizes without feeling greasy. My skin has actually improved (more balanced, less oily) as a result of me using this product.
Coverage: I'd say the coverage of this product is light, buildable to medium. With just one layer it gives light coverage that doesn't cover break-outs, but does really tone down my redness enough. If I want more coverage I just add a second layer in certain areas. An extra layer can be added easily, without the product feeling more heavy or looking cakey. For break-outs I just use spot concealing with concealer.
Finish: the finish of this is incredibly natural looking. You can't tell I'm wearing make-up, it just looks like I have naturally flawless skin. My boyfriend, who hates it when I wear visible face make-up, could not tell I was wearing anything and that says a lot. This is exactly the type of coverage I'm always looking for but that is hard to find.
Longevity: this product lasts me all day without needing to touch up. I do use a translucent powder to set it and I use Urban Decay setting spray for oily skin. This combination of the tinted moisturizer + the setting spray keeps my oils in check all day. I don't have to blot anymore and that's a first. I feel the setting spray used with other face products, doesn't control oil as well as it does with this tinted moisturizer. It's a golden combination for me.
Price: the only thing I don't like about this product is the price. It's high. I don't like to spend that much on products, but I think a face make-up is probably the most essential to any good make-up look so I'm willing to spend more for it, IF it is worth it. And this product is worth it. Also, it's really 3 products in one for me and I save on SPF and moisturizer, which makes it slightly less expensive. In summer I still use a seperate SPF underneath, but in winter this is fine. So despite the price I will keep repurchasing this. I've already finished one tube (lasted roughly 5-6 months with daily use) and have 2 back-ups.
Overall, this is my first HG face product. I was never completely satisfied with any face product I used before, there was always something wrong with it but I had to make due because I couldn't find anything better. That's over now. I finally found perfection. It doesn't break me out, there are no irritating ingredients, the color is perfect, the texture is lightweight and the finish is incredibly natural looking. It moisturizes enough for me and it has a decent SPF. I wouldn't change a thing.

on 6/7/2015 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

I happen to buy this at the same time as YSL foundation and had fallen head over heels with it before I even tried this. However, I gave it a break to try this on the weekend and noticed how great the finish was. It was sheer, dewy'ish and with oily skin like mine the best feeling is when you can actually feel your foundation "set" and not stay sticky. Despite being sheer, it gave fantastic coverage! My official tinted moisturizer was Nars but unlike Nars, this holds up quite well. Oily skin must keep shine in check quite often and because of the great coverage it IS a bit heavier than a basic "non-foundation" complexion enhancer but other than that it's an amazing tinted moisturizer!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Foundations, Powders, and Tinted Moisturizers: MAC, YSL, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, ETC by Crystal DivaLevy