July 28, 2014 | 2070 users online

Mascara - Smashbox - Lash Primer

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2014 3:37:00 PM More reviews by cashmerecatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received this as a gift and initially really liked it because it really did give my lashes noticeable length and volume. I also love that I am able to use it underneath any mascara (it works well under my BareMinerals Lash Domination in particular).
However, I've had to discontinue using this lash primer because I am pretty sure it gave me styes on my eyelids. I literally had three painful itchy bumps on one eye and two on the other, and this was the only thing I've used different.
If you decide to use this I would recommend making sure you try to keep it off the skin of your eyelids and thoroughly take all of it off before bed...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2014 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

This is good stuff but it went bad quickly. I am looking for a new one currently that is cheaper. This primer really does what it says and seems to makes my lashes longer and fuller and resemble false lashes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 12:51:00 AM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased this primer hoping to find a cheaper alternative to my favorite mascara primer (Lancome Cils XL) and this one just fell 100% short. Your mascara doesn't even have a chance of looking smooth with this primer. It applies clumpy and doesn't even compare to the amazing Lancome product. Pass on this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by bebemona

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

AWESOME!
Grew my lashes and works amazing, I cannot wear mascara without this now. It really helps to not have mascara get really hard on your lashes and the mascara comes off easy, acts as a protecting layer. Lashes don't break when taking mascara off. Also enhances the mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2012 10:11:00 AM More reviews by ms_kevala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product works pretty well, but it is a pain to use. If I can get a nice, even application, it adds lots of volume and makes my mascara last a long time. It also really helps curl hold well. But it dispenses in a way that makes lashes look funky and clumpy, and it leaves lashes very sticky once it is applied, so it makes mascara more challenging to apply. So, after curling I need to apply it, then comb out my lashes to un-clump them (which results in lots of wasted product stuck to my comb), then apply mascara *very carefully* so as to avoid re-clumping them, then wash my lash comb and wait for everything to dry out. This makes the product too much of a hassle for frequent use...I only turn to it on special occasions, and to me it isn't worth keeping around just for that.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by alldaygirl

Ok, but Estee Lauder is way better. The brush is cheap, but the product lasts a long time. If you do not put your mascara on as soon as it dries, it will ball/flake off. I really like the clear tube so I can see how much product is in the tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2011 2:17:00 AM More reviews by PaulaBegoun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

good.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2011 5:12:00 PM More reviews by cocofern

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently discovered the magic of eyelash primers after purchasing a cheap drugstore mascara/primer combo (Jane) and falling in love with the primer. I never knew it could make my lashes so much thicker and fuller. It enhances any mascara significantly.
So after learning that primers are not sold at drug stores I ventured off to Ulta to find a brand that does. An associate was going to show me a Tarte primer, but unfortunately they were all out, so she mentioned Benefit but I saw this before we got to that section so I picked this up instead. I've also always wanted to try Smashbox but I never came across any product I really wanted/needed.
I will start with the pros&cons and go from there.

Pros:
-the packaging is clear so you can see how much product is in
-packaging is nice in general and reminds me of MAC products, it's also plastic so it won't break if dropped
-lengthens lashes a little bit

Cons:
-it's goopy and clumpy, so you have to really work with it and put time and effort into making sure lashes are separated
-it's pricey
-does not thicken as well as I had hoped
-it's wet and runny so it does NOT hold curl
-the wand is just awful... this needs to be redesigned stat. It is one of those spiral wands where the bristles are not distributed evenly. Whoever thought this was good for lashes is an idiot - it makes lashes stick together because they get between the gaps instead of being combed out evenly.

I am really disappointed with the wand and will try to replace it though I am not sure how easy it will be to find one that will screw on correctly. I also always curl my lashes prior to applying mascara because it looks sooo much better and makes my eyes look wider/more awake. This product straightens them almost completely :( which sucks because I expected it to hold curl based on previous reviews.

After comparing this primer ($17/ea) to my other Jane mascara/primer combo (about $4/ea) I am definitely baffled. The Jane primer is the one that inspired me to go out and buy a big tube of more expensive "better" stuff. Seeing that I can purchase 4 of the Jane primers for the price of one of these I think I will reconsider next time... or maybe I'll try a different brand.
If I could I would give this a 2.5 lippies.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2011 1:22:00 PM More reviews by eurasianbeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is not a good eyelash primer. The texture is too thin and takes a very long time to dry. Therefore it is also no weightless enough like I have experienced with other (drugstore) primers which means it will not hold a curl. It does not extend as well either. Volume wise its ok but there are some drugstore primers that exceed this one by far. Packaging is the only thing that is really cool about this one: it is clear so you can see how much product is left. Nevertheless, you need to toss it after 3 months anyway, just like regular mascara - so this does not make up for the overall bad texture of this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2011 10:20:00 AM More reviews by playsindirt

Don't bother. Made absolutely no impact on my lashes regardless of how I applied it. Just buy better mascara.