Urban Decay Wonder Brush

4.6

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 6/21/2011 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Great stiff brush for gel liners. Too stiff for concealer. Too small for shadow application unless you use it for detailing.

on 6/6/2011 4:40:00 AM

There isn't much more than I can add about this brush that hasn't already been said - so I'll just throw some more love its way. I've been using it as a lip brush and it's great. Tip good for precision lining, flat firm smooth bristles for application of the lipstick/stain/wax to the rest of the lips. No fibers coming off or losing its shape, and I'm pretty rough on brushes. I'm definitely going to get another one to use for concealer, as I think it will work even better than my MAC brush, which is starting to show some wear after many years of good service. It's a well worth it at full price from Urban Decay, but I happened to get one on ebay that had a slight dent in the handle for about $2, so a ridiculously great bargain can be had if you don't mind that sort of thing.

on 7/13/2010 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought a couple of these off the Urban Decay website for a great price. The picture is so misleading, as it looked like a pencil brush to me and is the reason why I purchased it. I was really disappointed when it came in the mail. It's identical to the ELF 'small precision brush' in their Studio line which is only $3.00. I mean, IDENTICAL. I tested the two for gel liner, lip liner, concealer. I even prefer the ELF one because it's much lighter and it may even be available at Target.
The wonder brush is still a great brush and it's cheap on the UD site, I just wouldn't buy it again because there is a cheaper alternative.

on 12/14/2008 8:10:00 PM

I use this brush to line my lids with powder shadows and I love it. It can be used as a concealer/lip brush but I haven't tried it for those purposes yet. This is hands-down the best brush from UD that I've owned (I bought it as part of the Big Buddha brush set).

on 9/21/2008 4:16:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this to apply gel e/l, and it does a nice job. Because it's talkalon, it's really easy to clean after with some MAC brush cleaner, and I don't have to worry about what that will do long term to the brush like I do with regular animal hair. The weighted handle allows for good balance during application and doesn't feel weird at all. While I only use this for e/l, I could see it being fantastic for concealer and lipstick. Would definitely repurchase.

on 8/6/2008 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think that UD brushes are really underrated. I've had mine for the last 5 years and they are still in the same good shape they were when I first bought them.
I use their wonder brush for lining my eyes. It's become a littly bushy over the years but still performs perfectly well and remains soft yet firm enough for precise application. It'll probably be great to be used as concealer brush too but I've never tried.
I'd buy it again.

on 6/19/2008 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

While this brush gets lots of love on this board, and overall really is a good brush, I suppose, I've actually not quite figured out how it will best serve me. I can see this being a good lip brush, but I personally prefer one that is retractable and can be carried with me. I can also see it being a good brush for concealer. Outside of these two uses, I can't see using it for much else, except maybe lining the eye. I rarely reach for this brush and have some regrets in purchasing it, but only because I can't really find a use for it.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I bought this brush over 4 years ago, and it has really stood the test of time. This was actually the first higher end brush that I ever bought, and let me say, that I love it today more than ever. It is ideal for fine, detailed work. At first glance, the brush might not seem worth its price-tag (15 USD), but it is, and youíll most likely realize why soon after you begin to use it.

DESCRIPTION:

This is a synthetic brush made out of high quality Taklon fibers and a metal handle. It is a small, Filbert style brush, which means that it can provide good coverage and that it can perform fine detailed work. (Filbert brushes are flat brushes with domed ends. The tip of the bristles are at a gradual point relative to the rest of the brush.) The bristles are two-toned black and white, with white at the tip. They are really short, and are less than a centimeter long.
I would say this brush is about 6Ē or 7Ē from bristles tip to the other end (so itís not too long and probably wonít hit the mirror or anything). The ferrule is a matte silver, and the brush handle is a shiny silver with the Urban decay logo on it. There are two small bands of ridging on the handle (UD says theyíre for getting a better grip on the brush). One is right above the ferrule, and the other is at the very top of the brush. The brush handle is weighted, so itís heavier than youíd expect it to be (I was surprised when I first picked up the brush). At first, it felt a little strange, but with use, I got used to it quickly, and the weighting was nice because otherwise the brush would be too flimsy, and you canít really get at the fine detail work.

QUALITY (Density, Resistance, Softness): 5/5

The bristles are shiny and soft, and I feel like they just glide over my skin. They also have a good resistance to applied force and are by no means flimsy. Unlike other brushes of this size that I have seen, they donít just flop over if you push on them a little. The bristles are dense, but not overly so, as the brush still ends up having some flex to it, so it can apply things like concealer well. I think UD struck the perfect happy medium between stiffness and wobbliness in this brush.

APPLICATION: (5/5)

You can use the Wonder Brush for all sorts of things. Sometimes synthetic bristles are a little too non-porous to work well with certain kinds of oil-based, or waxy makeup, but Iíve never had a problem with this brush. It worked well on all sorts of makeup.
I usually use it for either detail-oriented work around the eyes (to smudge along the lashline, or to line, etc) or as a lip brush. But it could triple as a concealer brush too, and I used to use it as one before I finally got a concealer brush. For applying eye shadows, it picks up pigment fairly well and smoothly and evenly distributes it, though sometimes fallout can occur if the shadow is loose. Itís really easy to blend with this brush and so getting rid of harsh lines isnít too hard. (This is one area where the weight of the handle comes in handy because you donít end up pushing too hard on the brush. )
For lining the eyes, this works really well and can give you a nice, even line. When it comes to using it as a lip brush, it picks up the color from the lipstick really well and evenly distributes it onto your lips. When using it as a concealer brush, I found that because itís so small, it makes concealing tiny spots really easy. This was really useful to me because my concealer brush was large and I didnít want to get concealer all over the place.

DURABILITY: (5/5)

Iíve been using and abusing this brush for the past 4-5 years, and it has withstood my harsh treatment. And when I say abuse, I mean it. I used to be a really, really bad brush owner (though Iím completely reformed now). I didnít always wash my brushes weekly, and my brushes used to be all over the place, sometimes with product caked on them for weeks at a time. Once, this brush fell behind the dresser and hid in the dust for a few months until I eventually found it. (Afterwards, I gave it like 7 thorough washings over the course of a few days before I reused it for anything, to make sure it was clean).
Even after such abusive treatment over the course of so many years, today the brush is almost in the same condition as it was the day I bought it.
Iíve never had a problem with leaking dye (sometimes the dye that was used to color the bristles drips off, especially when you're washing the brush), or with flyaway hairs on the edges, or with shedding. To my memory, this brush has never, ever shed. It has kept its shape, and the bristles are still soft, yet resistant and shiny. Itís withstood the test of time. =)

PRICE: (1= Dirt Cheap, 5=Expensive) 4.5/5

15 USD

MISCELLANEOUS:

Urban Decay says on their website to ďdip in alcohol and wipe with clean paper towelĒ after use. I donít know if thatís such a great idea. I think the alcohol might do damage to the bristles. I would probably run it through with a brush cleanser after each use, and then deep cleanse by washing it once a week.

VERDICT: (5/5)

This is an awesome brush and it is one of my favorites. It is of high quality, and it can perform a variety of tasks, including detailed work. If you are looking for a good, multi-purpose, synthetic brush, I highly recommend this one. I am so glad that I bought it, and if I ever lost the one I own, I would repurchase.

Thanks for reading my review! I hope it was helpful to you. ^_^ continued >>

I love this little wonderbrush! I use it to line Oil Slick on my eyes and does a great job smudging :) I might even buy another one because it's so useful in many ways.

on 2/3/2008 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was very surprised to get a brush like this for only $15. It does take a little bit of getting used to, but it really is rather versatile. Despite all the various ways I've used it and all the times I've cleaned it, this little guy is holding tough. It's very soft and smooth. The weighted handle and notched finger area are nice additions, making it quite easy to use the brush.

My only regret is that it didn't come with a cap, but either way, it's still usable.

Popular Makeup Brushes