October 22, 2014 | 2073 users online

Conditioner - Aubrey Organics - GPB Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

A month or so ago I went out to the health food store and bought this and a sulfate free shampoo. I've been gradually getting sick of using skin and haircare products that only give the facade of health without actually nourishing or caring for your hair as they claim, possibly even causing damage. I was concerned that with my dry, damaged and processed hair, it would take a long time to adapt to a cone-free conditioner. I thought of this as a long term decision, with a likely adaptation phase during which my hair would look like crap without all the typical ingredients that have always masked its natural state.
Anyways, this was not the case. As soon as it dried after the first use, my hair - even my ends, which were in desperate need of a trim, felt soft and silky. I was impressed. The Aubrey GPB conditioner does not have as much slip as the typical drugstore conditioner, so it feels like it's not doing a whole lot when you put it on wet hair. Resist the urge to put on more of it than you normally would. I did this once and my hair did get greasier faster than usual. It's on there, even if it doesn't have the normal slippery feeling in the shower that cone conditioners do.
Overall, this stuff has straight up changed my hair texture for the better. It has more volume, and my natural waves have been returning. It's hard to describe how exactly the way my hair feels now differs from how it did when I was using the typical cone conditioners, but basically it makes sense to me now that my hair was coated in and weighted down by cones before. And, yeah, my biggest concern that this or any cone-free conditioner would not mask the dryness and damage the way the usual conditioners do was all for naught. It looks and feels just as healthy, but I can only assume it's not being "masked" now; it looks and feels good because I'm actually putting good stuff on it.
As for the smell: some people seem not to like it. It's rich and woodsy, and not hugely feminine compared to some of the clean, floral scents some may be used to from drugstore conditioners. It does linger after the shower. I personally like the smell, and my SO likes it on both himself and me, in case someone's worried it'll be man repellent. It's not bad, but it is different and I'm not surprised some people aren't a fan given that its woodsiness isn't exactly what we've come to associate with the smell of "clean", like for example how my old Dove conditioner smelled like fresh laundry. I'm personally a fan of warm, rich scents like amber or musk, so to me this only complements some of the other products I use.
The price: at my local health food store, it's about $14 CDN for a small-ish bottle. Not cheap, but not ridiculous. If you look around online you'll find better deals.
Bottom line: if you're reading this researching cone-free conditioners to start on, this is a good choice. I thought I'd probably be going through a few before I landed on one that works, but I've already purchased a backup bottle and have no interest in trying out different conditioners. This one does everything I want it to, and it's nice to know every time I put it on in the shower that I'm actually doing something good for my hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by SarahMcD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Tried this based on the rave reviews here as well as the safe ingredients in it. My hair is curly and relatively dry, definitely requiring a decent conditioner to detangle and help it keep what moisuture it has. Unfortunately, this seemed to dry my hair, taking what little shine it has. It also didn't help much with tangles. The smell, as others have noted, is hard to miss. It is sort of pine-like and it does linger. I could get past that, though, but it's worth mentioning. The packaging is ugly (dated? or was it always ugly?), which really isn't relevant but just sort of interesting. Price (seems to be $8-$12) is pretty middle of the road, though a bottle doesn't seem to last as long as others and the product isn't good, so it's not a great value. 2 stars instead of 1 since it has benign ingredients.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 9:48:00 PM More reviews by rallu

I bought this conditioner and matching shampoo based on the reviews and was really excited to try it because that's exactly what my hair needs...moisture and protein. Used it ones and was ready to return it because of the fragrance but I had to keep it because Vitamin Shoppe doesn't do returns. I decided to give it another chance because the reviews are great. I just finished the bottle which didn't take too long, maybe 6-7 washes, made my hair hard to comb through and didn't notice any difference at all. I really really can't stand the fragrance either...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by nostradamus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hands down, all-time favourite natural conditioner. My damaged hair responds well to the GPB formula because it needs both moisture and protein to help repair its dry, fragile strands. It costs about $12 at my health food shop of choice, and lasts me several months with hair that is just below shoulder length. Although initially this conditioner was relegated to the back-shelf due to its fragrance, I now weirdly enjoy its light herbaceous scent!

My one slight con is that the dispensing cap can get bogged down by the product itself. When it doesn't dispense efficiently, I have to take a toothpick to clean out whatever product has coagulated in the cap... it's just a little bit annoying, but nothing to stop me from repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by zakitis

I have tried soooo many conditioners out there as my hair tangles easily and are pretty dry on ends..The shop person in the NYC Wholefoods gave a sample and when I got home to Europe I tried it! This is one of the best if not the best conditioner out there. it even makes my blonde hair lighter and every one is asking what I am using! Simply MUST HAVE product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by taurusdragonfly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

So the price isn't bad - not cheap, but it's a decent-sized bottle. The balsam scent is ok and doesn't linger through my leave-in/styling products. It has a thick, pearly-looking texture that distributes easily through hair and penetrates after a few minutes if you're looking for a quick dose of conditioning. GPB does what it says - balances. It leaves my hair smoother, better able to retain moisture, soft, and fluffy (not frizzy). I found it a better protein/moisture balance than Giovanni's 50/50. In terms of results, it reminds me of Aveda's Damage Remedy without the silicones. My damaged ends felt so much better and my curls were springier after the first use.

I first tried this a pre-poo deep conditioner according to the directions on the bottle. I applied to dry hair, covered with a plastic cap, and left it in for a half hour. When I took off the cap, I knew it was going to be good. My curls were springy and detangling was a breeze. I combed it through and there were hardly any strands left in the shower or in my comb. When I rinsed and shampooed, my hair felt so soft and full. I didn't even need to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Consistent use of this conditioner as a pre-poo or rinse-out has helped a lot to reduce my single strand knots and restored strength to my color-treated, fine, natural 4b/c ends. I have the type of hair that breaks if you just look at it wrong and this has changed my hair for the better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Now why on earth have I never reviewed this product before? Been using it for almost two years. Sometimes I can find it at the local health food store but I usually have to order it off Amazon. For me this conditioner has the perfect blend of moisture + protein to restore life to my hair. It smooths out the rough damaged parts, cuts down on frizz, adds moisture.... And does all that without weighing down the parts of my hair that don't need all that extra help! The sent is more medicinal then aromatherapy, but for results like this I will hold my nose and deal with it. I even make sure that I have a backup bottle on hand before I run out of a bottle...that's how much of the staple this is for my hair!!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by gunzarelli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was blinded by the phenomenal herbal fragrance. My GOODNESS. It smells like sweet balsam, so delicious!! Worked awesome the first time I used it on my fine, porous hair- accented my natural wave, even!- but after 4 or 5 uses, started making my hair sticky, dry and dirty looking at the scalp. Odd, since I avoid my scalp when conditioning... Also caused some serious neck and back acne to crop up that I'm still trying to get rid of... Tried to use it as a shaving lotion (since the smell alone accounts the 2 lippies I'm giving this) but wound up with a rashy mess. All-natural hair products, I really want to like you, but you really don't seem to like me!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Blackdoll24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Used it for the first time today and it is now my favourite over Giovanni Deep Moisture. I used as a deep conditioner and wore under a heated cap for 15 mins then washed with Aubrey GPB shampoo and another go with the conditioner. AMAZING!

Not sure whether i can use as a weekly conditioner but will give it a go!
I'd definitely recommend :)

I bought mine from IHerb which is incredibly cheap!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

I don't know what the hype is about this conditioner. I love that it has good ingredients, but I found that it didn't really do anything for my hair, if anything it made it drier?

I have very normal, straight hair and I can't use products that are very moisturizing nor for oily hair. This one seemed to be a middle-of-the-road product but I wasn't wowed with it.

It's very heavily scented, like a powdery-perfumey smell and it felt like it kind of disappeared in my hair once I applied it.

Was glad I tried it out, but I will not be repurchasing.