October 24, 2014 | 1753 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - 1 1/2 inch Hot Air Curling Iron and Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2011 6:23:00 PM More reviews by headcat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this hot air brush for 16 years and I love it! I just purchased my third one and am upset to find out it has been discontinued. I only use the brush attachment and not the curling iron attachment.

I started out using it in the mid 90's as my only hair dryer. It was perfect for the way I liked wearing my hair when I was younger. It made my medium length hair have large, frizz-free waves. I also loved how it seemed to make my hair feel less thick and less voluminous--I'd kill for my hair to be like that now! It didn't keep away the frizziness on really humid days but I could easily use the dryer a second time.

Nowadays, I prefer to wear my chin length hair straight, with the ends slightly curled under and lots of volume at the roots. This brush just enhances my naturally wavy hair, so it isn't best to use when I want my hair to look sleek. I still like using this brush dryer on days when I want to wear my hair in a cute ponytail. I have a lot of baby hairs on the top of my head that stick straight up after blow drying with a regular dryer and mixed bristle round brush. The baby hairs are quite noticeable when I want to wear my hair up-- looks like I'm wearing a halo of frizz. This tool really calms down those stubborn hairs. It's also so much easier and quicker to use than a regular blow dryer and round brush!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2009 7:30:00 PM More reviews by jatkins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am reviewing the one pictured above. I can't believe I found this on here! In highschool, all my friends and I had this thing. I never used the curling iron part, just the brush. I remember that this was hard to use on a warm day since it blows out warm air the whole time you're curling. I had this old thing when I was in highschool. I remember saving up my money so I could go to target and buy it. I wanted my long hair to be straight and flip under at the bottom. This worked great. I don't want that style anymore, but it does a good job of flipping hair under.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 5:51:00 PM More reviews by Steph0891

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i didn't realize there were different watts for this product. i must've gotten the lowest one because it never felt like it ever heated! it was the worst item i've ever spent my money on. i bought this thing like 2-3 years ago and it's forever been sitting in my drawer. no use whatsoever. piece of junk. wish i would've known about the 3000 watt. maybe that would've done what i was expecting of this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2008 3:02:00 PM More reviews by amaris

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am reviewing the 1000 watt ceramic model. This tool is AWESOME! I use it almost everyday and get salon-like results! For me, this is my HG styling tool! I used to be very clumsy with a round brush and blower, but after getting this tool I can finally blow out my hair and get beautiful volume, smoothness, and a little bit of a flip if I want it.
For reference, I have long, straight, fine (but alot of) hair cut in long layers and side swept bangs. I also use a hair serum (like biosilk or john freida or phyto) that I rub in the ends of my hair to reduce fly-aways and get a straighter look while my hair is damp after being towel-dryed and then I use this tool to blow dry. Perfect results every time!!
Also, the high temperature is perfect, not too hot, and I like to use the low temp. setting when I do my top most layer and bangs.
I would definitely buy this again as it was really inexpensive at $20 (3 years ago) and will be giving these as gifts to a few family members.
My hair has never snagged on this tool.
Oh and I have never attempted to curl my hair with this dryer, just straighten/blow out. I don't think this would work well for that. I use either a curling iron or hot rollers for curls.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2008 10:37:00 PM More reviews by roots66

If you're a klutz when it comes to proper brush-and-dryer technique, this is a handy item to have. I own two versions of this tool--the 1000-watt Infiniti, which I've had for a couple of years (with two brush attachments, a 1 1/4 inch mixed plastic-and-boar and a 3/4 inch boar), and the 300-watt model which I just recently purchased (with curling iron and brush attachments, both 1 1/2-inch). The 1000-watt brush model worked like a charm when my hair was cut in a shorter bob, but now that it's a few inches past my shoulders I have trouble getting decent results with it. The plastic bristles tend to leave unsightly dents in my hair, and worse, the hair is prone to getting caught and tangled. I figured the version with the curling iron would produce smoother results, and it does indeed. Its lower wattage is actually something of a blessing. I could never use the high setting on the 1000-watt model as it made the ceramic barrel ridiculously hot--yet the low setting on it never seemed to blast enough air through. The high setting on the 300-watt model is a good compromise--fairly powerful and hot, but not scorchingly so. Hopefully the motor won't burn out too soon. Unfortunately neither model has a cool-shot feature--I may look into getting a set of velcro rollers to help further set the curls. And the 300-watt model's barrel is aluminum rather than ceramic, so I know it's going to be harder to clean product residue off it. I use it on days when I want to look casual but polished. I can't get dramatic curls from it (my stick-straight hair demands irons or hot rollers for that), but it's great for producing much-needed volume and nicely turned-under ends.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by ben228

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this to actually help straighten my hair, even though it is meant to curl it. I have very curly, frizzy hair naturally and I rarely don't fix it. I almost always straighten it. I use this to blow it dry at night before bed before I straighten in the morning. I use the 1 1/2 inch barrel only because its bristle are smooth. The 1 inch barrel has got those boar bristle that tend to tear my damaged/over processed hair. I wrap it tight around the root and then pull it straight, like I am using a brush and blowdryer to straighten my hair. This gets my hair almost completely straight on its own. The ends are still wavy, but it takes out all of the curls tangles. The next day, my hair is super easy to flat iron, I can be done in 30 minutes, whereas if I don't use this at night, it takes me an hour to an hour and a half to iron my hair completely. Great little tool. I got mine for 20.99 at walgreens.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2007 1:05:00 PM More reviews by cafloonicus

I used to LOVE this thing. Now, they fall aprt constantly and I went thru 3 in 3 weeks...still looking for my HG hot air brush. Must be made in China now? Who knows!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2007 12:17:00 PM More reviews by brasscupcakes

First off, I'd like to make it clear that I am reviewing the 1000-watt ceramic model. I don't have twenty reviews yet, so unfortunately, I am unable to make the title more specific.

Bear in mind, Conair also makes a 300 watt AND a 150 watt version of this tool. The 300-watt version of this tool is passable and deserves about a three rating, because it did a bit of what the thousand watter did without BURNING my hair.

That's right, the thousand watt ceramic model can BURN YOUR HAIR. Which is pretty funny, as I bought this to treat my hair more gently in the hope it would replace my curling iron, which has never burned my hair.

It's unfortunate, because Conair did a lot of things right with this tool. Given the usual quality of foreign imports, it's extremely well made with solid materials constructed so that they fit together perfectly.

And the ceramic coating is very very good and very very thick, better than I've seen on some of the best straighteners.

Boy, oh boy, does it hold that heat! And boy, do those bristles hold your hair -- too well, in fact. Better they should be shorter, so you can unwind swiftly, in case of an emergency. Such as when you smell your hair burning.

On the thousand watt power (high) it really didn't take more than seconds -- 8 or 9, I'd say, which isn't very much, given your hair is damp to start. And that's the biggest problem here. There are only two settings, high and low. High is hot-hot-hot, with all that ceramic! And low isn't just lower -- you hardly have any air blowing!

Really, it's too bad, because I could have loved this tool -- the part of my hair that wasn't burned had tons of volume, way more than you can achieve with a curling iron or blow dryer and brush.

They should definitely re-design it with smaller bristles (more like the bristles in the Vidal Sassoon version, except the Vidal Sassoon version breaks down way too quickly) and multiple heat settings -- if possible, separating the settings for temperature from air flow, so you could get the drying utility without worrying about scorching. Also, there's no cool-shot!

In the meantime, however, if you're considering buying this, unless you have extremely coarse, healthy, hard-to-destroy hair -- and even if you do -- please keep my experience in mind and take care the first time you use it.

Also, please note that Conair markets this self-same hot air brush under at least two different names and model numbers that I've seen -- sometimes it includes the wattage in the title, sometimes it just says ionic ceramic.

(so far as the 300-watter is concerned, I still don't know if it's worth keeping; I liked the smaller brush for my bangs, but unless I get more skilled with the bigger one, results are otherwise underwhelming)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2007 1:12:00 AM More reviews by jc27

I really like this styling tool. No, it is not the highest quality, but it is cheap so worth it in my opinion. I am the worst hair styler and this really helps me add some curl/wave to my hair. I do usually dry my hair (not completley) before using. For the price it is worth a try. I am really happy I bought one and would buy again, mine has lasted about 8 months so far but I'm not counting on it lasting forever. It doesn't add shine or reduce frizzies for me, it just helps the styling process, which I need all the help I can get. But if you are looking for something that will style and dry your hair quickly this isn't it, it will dry your hair but take quite some time.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2007 8:45:00 PM More reviews by sassenach

I love this thing!! I have the blue one with the 3 attachments (natural bristle, hard bristle and weird vent dryer thingamajig). I only use the natural bristle one to smooth out my kinky wavy hair. It is the EASIEST thing to use. It only takes a few passes over each section to make my hair voluminous and straight but with a little flip at the bottom. Much much better than using a straightener which just leaves my hair flat. I'm so glad I finally bought this!!