April 17, 2014 | 1414 users online

Moisturizers - Olay - Total Effects Night Firming Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 3:11:00 PM More reviews by meilin69

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i've found my HG night cream.

so far this never broke me out like NEVER not even one fucking millia, i have sensitive skin and most creams gave me millia or broke me out after 3 days.

i'm only 24 but i guess i suffered from premature aging and this really healed my skin, it changes the texture of my skin. i have dull skin, and rough areas on my chin and forehead which i really hate and spent so much time and money to try heal them but failed, and after half a tub my skin glows and feels so smooth and plump.
why would i pay for expensive department store "anti-aging" creams when a simple drugstore cream can do all the work?

i use this along with the total effects day cream, and i usually cannot stick to one product, like i keep buying new creams to try them even when i don't need to, but this one is able to force me to settle because it makes my skin feels amazing and looks amazing and i'm kinda addicted to it that i can forget about trying out new creams.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2013 2:23:00 PM More reviews by ruthaida

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this on sale at CVS. Please read the review by "nreid" as it was fantastic and very detailed. Here is my take on this product. It did not work like I had hoped. Of the 7 in 1, it did mosturize but there was no tightening, fading of spots, luminosity or anything else wonderful. I do tend to break out and it did not break me out at all, so that is one plus for my combination skin. I used on my neck and again did not see anything different. I finished the entire jar. I agree that dipping the finger is not hygenic but it was only my fingers after washing my hands or coming out of the shower, so not a big deal breaker for me personnally. Overall, this was my first Olay product and I was not very impressed.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm really on the fence about this product. I'm not convinced it's actually doing anything for my skin but there's not much about it to make me dislike it either. I've been using it every night for a month and while my skin looks fabulous right after I apply it, in the morning my skin doesn't look so great (dry areas look dry, my nose is super oily, and my pores look larger) and I can't really put my finger on anything in particular that it's actually changing. My skin certainly doesn't look refreshed in the morning, that's for sure. And I've had better results in the morning with other (sometimes less expensive) creams that don't make me look worse in the morning than I did at bed time.

Since my skin tends to be dry (and a lot more so in the winter) and wearing heavier moisturizers under foundations during the day just makes me look greasy. So I have to get what I can from super hydrating night creams. I'm not really concerned yet about any minimal aging my skin is doing, so the firming aspect of this cream is not super important to me.

Pros and Cons:

Moisturizing Factor: At first, it's great. Like the label on the jar indicates, I apply it liberally. My skin looks luminous, smoother, and super hydrated. I'm a bit suspicious, though, that the luminosity the cream offers is due to some additive to make the skin look like it's glowing, much like the glow that some BB creams or subtle liquid highlighters offer. I don't think the cream actually makes my skin glow due to its benefits as much as it's a short-term effect of the cream's hydration. Perhaps for some people like me who need a lot of hydration, this cream could offer more longer-lasting hydration.

Scent: It is quite strong and it does stick around for a while. It's a fresh scent and not too floral, and it has a brightness to it that makes me think the company chose it because of the idea of youthfulness that the scent invokes.

Packaging: It's okay. Nothing special. It's a rather small jar for what you get (50 ml, which retails at Shoppers Drug Mart in Vancouver, Canada, for $34.99 regular price). It's a bit unhygenic because to get the product out you need to dip your fingers into the jar if you don't use an implement to get the cream out.

Application/Consistency: It's not too thick or thin. And, for me at least, it sinks into the skin quickly. It's a nice texture and doesn't feel greasy going onto the skin and it doesn't look greasy afterward, even if you've applied too much. It's actually light enough for my skin that I might be able to get away with wearing it under makeup during the day if I needed to (which tells me it's not as hydrating as I need it to be).

Label Promises: So far, of the seven so-called signs of aging the cream claims to combat, I don't see any changes in my skin. The texture and overall tone of my skin are the same as ever, and I wouldn't say an effect is an increased hydration or lessening of dullness. I'll likely have to try this cream for a lot longer than a month to see any long-term changes.

Price: I got my jar on sale for $19.99 with a $5 off coupon, which made my purchase just $15.99. I was shocked that the cream regularly retails for $34.99 where I live, as I don't see anything about it that makes the cream worth this price. The prices at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada really seem to vary from province to province, and the US website for Olay cites the price as $19.99 (prices may vary). Well, a $15 variance in price is pretty extreme. I'd like to keep on going with this cream for the warmer months of the year, but at the price point of $34.99 before taxes, I'm likely to move on to another product with more obvious benefits once my jar is used up.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by q8a6y5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great moisturizer for the night. First times you use it, it will cause a stinging effect. This is normal and after 5 days, it shouldn't sting anymore. The stinging is because of the high percentage of niacinamide. Niacinamide (vitamin B3) is proven to improving skin barrier.
The results you get, should be seen after a few to six months. It takes time.
The quality (ingredients) is way better than some (read: many) expensive brands.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by encr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

L.o.v.e it... Lovely silky night cream.. hydrating yet not too oily. Smells nice. I'm hooked.

Easy packaging but looses stars as with this packaging you don't know when you'll run out.

The only other downside is that it's not sold in Australia or NZ. Now that is quite a big downside for me.. :( I'll be shipping it in I guess...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I started using this night moisturiser I noticed that my skin was more even toned, radiant, soft and supple. I do not have lines so cannot comment on that. I do have, however, a tendency to breakout and I rarely did with this. I actually found that this would help manage breakouts. Many months and a few bottles later I decided to try a new product because this moisturiser no longer gives me that 'wow' effect. Moisturises well but no longer seems to provide the radiance. It might be a coincidence, but I still decided to try another brand. Might come back to this one as so far it's the only night moisturiser that truly worked for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by Summerkisses88

Been using this cream on and off for sometime. I do feel like my skin is much softer and tighter(youthful). Isn't too oily for my skin. Overall, I like this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by realmakeovers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok, it was a toss up between the Total Effects 7 in 1 Night Firming Cream & the Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. I had a $7 coupon & was in Walmart. I know Walmart prices are better than CVS & Walgreen prices. I decided to purchase the TE 7 in 1 Night Firming Cream. Unlike some other reviewers, I really like the scent!! I do not find it overbearing @ all. It smells very fresh. I applied it over vitamin E oil for several nights because I thought it wasn't hydrating enough. Then 1 night I applied it alone. I actually like it better on it's own. The jar is 1.7 oz which lasts a good several months. Thanks, Olay!! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by amboly16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased this moisturizer in an attempt to banish my most recent attack of flakey skin. My face has always been acne prone, and somehow never finds a balance between too dry and too oily. I've tried many different moisturizers, all of which notoriously enhance the oily composition of my bipolar skin. Now, I can finally put an end to my search. Olay's moisturizer is absolutely fantastic! Within two days of use, my facial dryness not only disappeared, but was replaced with silky soft skin! (Now those are rapid results). The moment I applied the moisturizer, my skin felt like it was enveloped in a cloud. I know this sounds a bit unrealistic (and perhaps a bit cheesy), but the moisturizer is so light and creamy that no other description will do it justice. I must also mention that the scent is absolutely heavenly. It has just the right trace of a light, flowery aroma, without overwhelming your senses. There is nothing more relaxing than falling asleep while imagining you are laying in a field full of spring-time flowers. Most surprising of all, this product actually seems to help clear my acne. I use it both at night and in the morning, and it has never once clogged my pores or left my face oily. It is non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic, so it is even safe for those of you with sensitive skin. I've been using it for two months now, and have experienced nothing but positive results. I know it sounds too good to be true, so you will just have to test it out and see for yourself!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by historismus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm pretty pleased with this night cream. I can't say that I've noticed a big difference in fine lines - despite that I'm only twenty my skin is very prone to them - but I guess I'm using it more of a preventative anyway. I think that this product has improved the overall appearance of my, skin, though, with regards to uneven texture and tone. It has a pleasant fragrance but I had no problems with irritation.

I'm going to try some other night creams and possibly delve into the world of high end skincare, but I would repurchase this as a good drugstore alternative.

I wouldn't recommend this to someone with very dry skin, however. Nine out of ten times this is moisturising enough for me, but it doesn't stand up to what Canadian winter does to skin.