November 26, 2014 | 1726 users online

Moisturizers - Olay - Total Effects Night Firming Cream

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2014 6:32:00 PM More reviews by 2hemi64

Had high hopes for this but when i put it on my skin burns. Too bad because i liked that it was not greasy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 10:18:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I previously used Clarins Multi-Active night cream which really agreed with my sensitive skin. I loved it but turned to this after deciding it was too expensive. Now I love Olay and Clarins equally. Love that Total Effects is in a pump rather than a jar. I can't testify regarding the anti-aging abilities of this prodcut as I dont ahve any wrinkles. But I do enjoy the texture which I think is rich yet light and find it quite moisturising. My "morning after" face looks glowy and well rested. Price is a huge positive compare to the USD80 equivalent crazy prices I've sometimes paid in the past. The only thng that bothers me is the sensation I sometimes get when I use it. The first time ever I felt a tingling sensation on my face which disappeared soon after my third application. Now half-way through the pump, I see the sensation has come back. It tingles for a few minutes and then disappears. My mom, who has very resilient skin is complaining about the same sensation from another range under the Olay brand. Lucky for both of us, neither of us have experienced any visible allergic dermatitis/ reactions. If anyone else has experienced this, can you please comment as to why this may be happening? I would hate to give this up if the sensation persists or worsens.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by mkinthecity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really lovely formula. It is so soft and creamy but not too light or heavy. The scent is fresh but not overpowering - which can be an issue because fragrances can make my eyes have a stinging sensation; I did not experience that sensation with this product - yay! It feels like a high-end cream without the exorbitant price tag! The jar isn't anything fancy - just a simple frosted plastic jar with a black cap. I switch products a lot and was using natural and organic products. However, lately I'm noticing fine lines on my forehead which I never noticed before! So I'm back to a more advanced version of Olay. Although pricey for a small jar, it's still so much less expensive than the department store brands! I will update results as I continue to use it, but first impressions are out of the ballpark amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by dermtobe83

I've been using this night cream in conjunction with the 7-in-1 SPF 15 fragrance free in the am for approximately 2 weeks and just these two products alone nothing else and my skin looks absolutely radiant and glowing. Filled out lines, baby smooth skin, and under eye area is lightened and not puffy anymore (I apply this under my eyes too -- there really is no difference between any of the Olay products and the "eye cream" version so don't waste your money).

I have combination skin and I've found a solution to the slightly pore clogging potential of the 7-in-1 line (it does clog over time) --- I use the Olay Daily Renewal Cream (2% salicylic acid/BHA to exfoliate the skin deep into the pore) 1-2x a week and problem solved. No clogged pores and just glowing skin.

I apply the 7-in-1 fragrance free non-spf lotion on my husband's face (he doesn't like the scent of the night cream) every night too and his redness had gone down and his fine lines are evened out. We will continue to use the 7-in-1 line of products. It really has "reversed" the sign of aging!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 3:11:00 PM More reviews by meilin69

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i've found my HG night cream.

so far this never broke me out like NEVER not even one fucking millia, i have sensitive skin and most creams gave me millia or broke me out after 3 days.

i'm only 24 but i guess i suffered from premature aging and this really healed my skin, it changes the texture of my skin. i have dull skin, and rough areas on my chin and forehead which i really hate and spent so much time and money to try heal them but failed, and after half a tub my skin glows and feels so smooth and plump.
why would i pay for expensive department store "anti-aging" creams when a simple drugstore cream can do all the work?

i use this along with the total effects day cream, and i usually cannot stick to one product, like i keep buying new creams to try them even when i don't need to, but this one is able to force me to settle because it makes my skin feels amazing and looks amazing and i'm kinda addicted to it that i can forget about trying out new creams.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2013 2:23:00 PM More reviews by ruthaida

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this on sale at CVS. Please read the review by "nreid" as it was fantastic and very detailed. Here is my take on this product. It did not work like I had hoped. Of the 7 in 1, it did mosturize but there was no tightening, fading of spots, luminosity or anything else wonderful. I do tend to break out and it did not break me out at all, so that is one plus for my combination skin. I used on my neck and again did not see anything different. I finished the entire jar. I agree that dipping the finger is not hygenic but it was only my fingers after washing my hands or coming out of the shower, so not a big deal breaker for me personnally. Overall, this was my first Olay product and I was not very impressed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm really on the fence about this product. I'm not convinced it's actually doing anything for my skin but there's not much about it to make me dislike it either. I've been using it every night for a month and while my skin looks fabulous right after I apply it, in the morning my skin doesn't look so great (dry areas look dry, my nose is super oily, and my pores look larger) and I can't really put my finger on anything in particular that it's actually changing. My skin certainly doesn't look refreshed in the morning, that's for sure. And I've had better results in the morning with other (sometimes less expensive) creams that don't make me look worse in the morning than I did at bed time.

Since my skin tends to be dry (and a lot more so in the winter) and wearing heavier moisturizers under foundations during the day just makes me look greasy. So I have to get what I can from super hydrating night creams. I'm not really concerned yet about any minimal aging my skin is doing, so the firming aspect of this cream is not super important to me.

Pros and Cons:

Moisturizing Factor: At first, it's great. Like the label on the jar indicates, I apply it liberally. My skin looks luminous, smoother, and super hydrated. I'm a bit suspicious, though, that the luminosity the cream offers is due to some additive to make the skin look like it's glowing, much like the glow that some BB creams or subtle liquid highlighters offer. I don't think the cream actually makes my skin glow due to its benefits as much as it's a short-term effect of the cream's hydration. Perhaps for some people like me who need a lot of hydration, this cream could offer more longer-lasting hydration.

Scent: It is quite strong and it does stick around for a while. It's a fresh scent and not too floral, and it has a brightness to it that makes me think the company chose it because of the idea of youthfulness that the scent invokes.

Packaging: It's okay. Nothing special. It's a rather small jar for what you get (50 ml, which retails at Shoppers Drug Mart in Vancouver, Canada, for $34.99 regular price). It's a bit unhygenic because to get the product out you need to dip your fingers into the jar if you don't use an implement to get the cream out.

Application/Consistency: It's not too thick or thin. And, for me at least, it sinks into the skin quickly. It's a nice texture and doesn't feel greasy going onto the skin and it doesn't look greasy afterward, even if you've applied too much. It's actually light enough for my skin that I might be able to get away with wearing it under makeup during the day if I needed to (which tells me it's not as hydrating as I need it to be).

Label Promises: So far, of the seven so-called signs of aging the cream claims to combat, I don't see any changes in my skin. The texture and overall tone of my skin are the same as ever, and I wouldn't say an effect is an increased hydration or lessening of dullness. I'll likely have to try this cream for a lot longer than a month to see any long-term changes.

Price: I got my jar on sale for $19.99 with a $5 off coupon, which made my purchase just $15.99. I was shocked that the cream regularly retails for $34.99 where I live, as I don't see anything about it that makes the cream worth this price. The prices at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada really seem to vary from province to province, and the US website for Olay cites the price as $19.99 (prices may vary). Well, a $15 variance in price is pretty extreme. I'd like to keep on going with this cream for the warmer months of the year, but at the price point of $34.99 before taxes, I'm likely to move on to another product with more obvious benefits once my jar is used up.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by q8a6y5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great moisturizer for the night. First times you use it, it will cause a stinging effect. This is normal and after 5 days, it shouldn't sting anymore. The stinging is because of the high percentage of niacinamide. Niacinamide (vitamin B3) is proven to improving skin barrier.
The results you get, should be seen after a few to six months. It takes time.
The quality (ingredients) is way better than some (read: many) expensive brands.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by encr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

L.o.v.e it... Lovely silky night cream.. hydrating yet not too oily. Smells nice. I'm hooked.

Easy packaging but looses stars as with this packaging you don't know when you'll run out.

The only other downside is that it's not sold in Australia or NZ. Now that is quite a big downside for me.. :( I'll be shipping it in I guess...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I started using this night moisturiser I noticed that my skin was more even toned, radiant, soft and supple. I do not have lines so cannot comment on that. I do have, however, a tendency to breakout and I rarely did with this. I actually found that this would help manage breakouts. Many months and a few bottles later I decided to try a new product because this moisturiser no longer gives me that 'wow' effect. Moisturises well but no longer seems to provide the radiance. It might be a coincidence, but I still decided to try another brand. Might come back to this one as so far it's the only night moisturiser that truly worked for me.