October 23, 2014 | 1834 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - Miracle Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Twinkiewunder3

Love this stuff! I have done my own nails for 40 years and I am impressed. It is more durable than Opi for me. The key to make it last 2 weeks is to use a decent base coat. Base coats are tackier and help the polish stick. I also use 2 even coats of color and then top it with Gel top coat. I can do my nails in 15 to 20 min and use a quick dry liquid and it is dry in no time. Be sure to tip the ends of your nails-makes a huge difference. Anyway I am glad I found this site. It's fun!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2014 6:16:00 AM More reviews by Cassiedog1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the longest lasting nail polish I've ever used. I don't get 14 days, more like 10, but Im over the moon about that. My nails are the longest and neatest they have ever been and I've tried pretty much everything on the last 20 years. I was a nail tech for five years too. I developed allergies to HEMA and had to stop. Nail art seals in beautifully with the top coat, as does foiling......and the foiling doesn't move. Dries fast, goes on well, loads of colours, only thing that it can't handle is bleach. Just wish they sold some multi colour packs even in smaller bottles would work.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by bkurant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

my new favorite nail polish. as much as i love the SH Complete Salon - the brush, the color selection, etc - this lasts much better. applying 2 coats of color and 1 coat of top polish, can easily give you 7 days of perfect manicure.
after a week, the tips of nails begin to show. but that is the small price to pay for a solid week of no chips, no scratches, no fading color. love it!
i bought 3 collors and a top coat. the colors are great, though selection is rather limited to begin with, and most drug stores have very few bottles on display. could not even find it at cvs, while walgreens had 1 stray bottle among essie polishes :) duane reade has quite a few, but as always the prices are the highest :(
what i noticed with the polishes i purchased, that the brushes are all different. some are closer in quality and almost as wide as those of complete salon line. others are thin and lower quality. hope SH will imporove quality control as they roll out more product.
before i forget, the drying time varies dramatically based on time of the day and the weather. when i first applied the polish, while sitting outside on a sunny day, it was dried within a few minutes. completly dry, without any high-speed top coat. i was amazed.
the next time i did manicure late in the evening. without direct sun, it took quite awhile for all 3 coats to dry completely. seemed much longer than my usual essie, opi etc
but then again, once dried it lasts quite a long time. enjoy!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2014 10:55:00 PM More reviews by xade

When I first bought this polish I was looking for an autumn brown. Wasn't the cheapest but the Spice Age brown was so pretty I just couldn't resist. Got home and realized I needed to also buy the top coat. Ugh. I tried it without and one coat was good enough and dried perfectly fine. It lasted about 4 days with dish washing and showers. I decided to give in and try the top coat. I went to target, and picked up a bottle and the bottle was black but I was expecting that. Got home and realized I had bought their black polish because someone put it back in the wrong place. Ugh!!! On the plus side the black is also wonderful and dries fine in one coat. Not sure if I'll buy the top coat after this..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2014 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Beth

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Gel polish has changed my life on a small level. As I get older, I find that standard polishes chip after just a few days, meaning either I spend more time doing my nails, or I walk around with a foul-looking manicure. I jumped on the gel bandwagon three years ago and have so much more time to do the things I love without giving myself a manicure every 3-4 days. Still, every time I hear of a standard polish that promises gel-like wear without the UV light, I'm a sucker to at least try it. RiteAid had a sale ($7.99USD instead of $9.99), so I decided to try the Miracle Gel. It purports to be a two-step non-UV gel...color + top coat only, no base coat required. I chose Mad Women, a shimmery magenta that matches a certain sweater I have.

Pros:
--The color is nice. A shimmery beet red with a hint of purple. Great color for fall and winter. And, two coats is sufficient for full color, unlike some shimmers that are so sheer you need three coats.
--The brush is filbert-shaped, rather than squared off, so application is more precise.
--The glass bottle is sturdy enough that it won't tip over accidentally.

Cons: Just one, but it's a dealbreaker:
--Despite my extreme care in applying, it chipped almost immediately. I gave myself a professional-level manicure, including cuticle removal, buffing, and cleansing the nail surfaces of all oils prior to applying. I applied each coat (two coats of color, plus one color of top coat) slowly under a magnifying desk lamp, and sat for at least fifteen minutes between color coats. I sat for over an hour after applying the top coat. I wore gloves while doing household tasks. And it still chipped within hours of application. It chipped WHILE I WAS SLEEPING, for Pete's sake. It was soft enough after four hours that it still marred when I tried to pry something open with a nail. (Yes, I know I'm not supposed to use my nails as tools.) It continued to chip on days 2 and 3. On day 3, it started to peel on one sidewall, despite my avoidance of the cuticle area. I am now walking around with a foul-looking manicure.

That's it. I am DONE with pseudo-gel polishes. I will keep the color, but apply a UV top coat over it (and base coat under it) to salvage part of my investment. Shellac, Gelish....I'm sorry I strayed from you. Can you ever forgive me? I won't stray again, promise!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by organicsliving694

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Perfect polish perfect color! Love to use it during the fall and incorporate it into my style.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2014 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Suesaroo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Had to try this because longevity is my issue with manis and pedis. I read the reviews here first. Bought the pale shades because those are my go tos. Got How Nude and Malibu Peach. I did better with 3 coats of color and one top coat to get even coverage. Allowed my self ample drying time and I got a solid 5 days out of the mani. I even buffed the chips and put on a thin coat with another top coat and got 2 more days. The brush is not as nice as the Complete Salon line from Sally Hansen.
I am still a bigger fan of the Sally Hansen Complete Salon line.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 7:15:00 PM More reviews by RedBlack

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This lasts longer then any other nail polish you can use at home. It doesn't last as long as getting a professional gel manicure but it lasts SO much longer then any other home product.I think I get 7 days of perfect wear and then I just start to show tip damage. My nails are very short but thin so that's still saying something. I do not know how safe the chemicals are in this product. That's my only hesitation.

I have B Girl and Street Flair and both are great. B Girl usually only needs two coats which is great for a pastel.

You definitely need to use the special Miracle Gel top coat. I am currently trying the miracle gel top coat over a non miracle gel polish (OPI). Will see if it lasts longer but so far its doing pretty well

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2014 6:15:00 AM More reviews by susanv3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Also a game changer for me-- I used the top coat over "regular" nail polish (various brands) and my manicures have lasted 8 - 10 days before major chipping (tiny chips seem to arrive around day 5-7, but easily stopped with small touch up)

I know the top coat is designed to be used with it's own SH Gell color, but I have so many regular polishes already at home, I wanted to see if it would work also for non-gel polish--it fits the bill for extended at home usage.

The only caveat I would say is that if you use it this way, put a normal clear coat on first before using this, as the SH Gel topcoat will disolve normal color like crazy and make a mess.

unfortunately the brush has started to come apart in the bottle, hopefully a one off and not packaging design flaw --other than that, I will re-purchase.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2014 5:21:00 PM More reviews by stimwink1

I bought this because of a coupon at Walgreens. 3 colors that I always have chipping issues. Black, Red and Blue. I also got a lite grey and a khaki green. Forgot to put on my top coat 3 days ago and not one chip on the Khaki polish. I'm IMPRESSED. I've always loved the brushes that Sally has on their polishes flat and long enough to be workable and not streaky and ample amount of polish for the price, (about $10). This is hitting every mark. I love OPI, Salon X , Essie and my Julep. This is fast earning a place in my polish collection and I'm wanting to try some others. My nails get beat with working on a key board periodically in a warehouse and doing dog rescue. If it helps to keep my nails long and pretty I'm in!!!!!!!