November 26, 2014 | 1743 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - Miracle Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by aeriekah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked a couple of these up at my local swapmeet for 7 bucks all together. What a steal! I wanted to give these a try since Ive stuck with the Gelish and Sensationail line. So far Im really liking it. I love the brush and the consistency of the polish. Both aspect really help me get close to the cuticle and get a full coverage all over my nail. Some gel polish retract/shrink if you wait to long to cure. You get decent opacity on the second coat, however I do a light third coat just to get a truer darker color. I will keep an eye out at my local swapmeet for other colors. I

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2014 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Physeter

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm fairly happy with this product. My nails break very easily, as I work with my hands a lot. And it is very difficult for me to have nail polish last long on my nails. Gel nail polish with the lamp can be good, but it left my nails weak, and sometimes it peels off. This nail polish is exaggerating when it says it is a "miracle gel". However, it is a very good nail polish. It has lasted on my toenails and is growing out, now. Other nail polishes tend to rub off on my toe nails as I wear shoes and sock at work.

I tired Birthday Suite. It's a very pale pink - almost white. And it isn't like a gel, in that it will get chips and scratches on my finger nails, from using my hands. However, it lasted much longer than other nail polish. I am now trying Tan-alicious. It is almost the same colour as my skin. It went on smoothly, covered my nail ridges very well. However, the top coat did pick up some colour. Unfortunately, we don't get a very large range of colours in Australia.

Removing this nail polish is so much simpler than with gel polish. It's just the same as removing a normal nail polish.

Overall, I'd say I'd get it again, and I prefer it to other nail polishes. It wears well, but it is not a salon finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2014 10:18:00 AM More reviews by Heather559

I am impressed by this nailpolish, and I don't impress easily. I am very hard on my nails, and I ususally don't get to 3 days without chipping and cracking. I was skeptical about trying this and wasting more money on gel polish because even the LED light polishes would chip in several days, if not the same day. I first bought Street Flair, a lilac color, and the topcoat. Put on 2 coats and 1 coat of topcoat and liked the coverage and the fact that the brush is curved, so I had less to clean up around the edges. 5 days later, and I was only seeing a little bit of tip wear. Day 6 I got the first chip. Removal is so much easier than the gels with the light - removes with nailpolish remover - no sitting and waiting forever with aluminum foil fingers. I went back and bought a few more colors and have tried Truffle Shuffle, a medium brown. This time it lasted a full 8 days before chipping, and I couldn't believe it! I am going to try it with regular nail polish under the top coat, and if they last anywhere near this long, I will be extremely satisfied. The only thing I didn't like is they did feel tacky for a little while afterwards, but I will try a quick dry topcoat next time as other reviewers have suggested. Overall, very happy!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2014 8:45:00 PM More reviews by emandemsinalamb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Pros:

- Long-lasting, resistant to tip wear and chipping, has lasted me a week or more in the past.
- Good, opaque coverage in 2 coats.
- Beautiful colour selection, as with most Sally Hansen products.
- Shiny shiny shiny! Wow. Truly brilliant shine that lasts.
- Inexpensive at around $9 CAD (at Target).

Cons:

- You do have to buy the special topcoat that goes with it, or a similar gel activating topcoat, which is kind of a bummer. I'm happy to report, however, that it doesn't matter if you use the SH brand gel topcoat; I use Revlon's and it worked just as well. Also, it's worth considering that if you regularly get your gel nails done at the salon/spa, this is going to be a gazillion times cheaper!
- It can take some time to set properly and can remain with a kind of sticky, tacky texture for a while after it sets. I fixed this problem by putting a light coat of Seche Vite over top, which eliminated the stickiness and it dried down nicely (and almost immediately). Once you do this extra step (which shouldn't be necessary, hence 4 lippies instead of 5), it wears like iron. If you don't have Seche Vite (and if you don't, get on that!), I'm certain this trick would also probably work with pretty much any quick-dry topcoat.

Overall this is a very, very good polish that I would absolutely recommend. The shade that I have is called Wine Stock, and it's a very deep, blackened red with purple undertones. It's a totally gorgeous shade that I wear again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by Terese4444

Love the top coat over my regular nailpolish! I have 3 bottles of the color and found it super streaky and chalky, tried applying different ways and always the same :(
So I guess I have a love/hate relationship with this, top coat is great and colors are something I wouldn't ever buy again. I did buy the Revlon gel and like those colors much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Twinkiewunder3

Love this stuff! I have done my own nails for 40 years and I am impressed. It is more durable than Opi for me. The key to make it last 2 weeks is to use a decent base coat. Base coats are tackier and help the polish stick. I also use 2 even coats of color and then top it with Gel top coat. I can do my nails in 15 to 20 min and use a quick dry liquid and it is dry in no time. Be sure to tip the ends of your nails-makes a huge difference. Anyway I am glad I found this site. It's fun!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2014 6:16:00 AM More reviews by Cassiedog1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the longest lasting nail polish I've ever used. I don't get 14 days, more like 10, but Im over the moon about that. My nails are the longest and neatest they have ever been and I've tried pretty much everything on the last 20 years. I was a nail tech for five years too. I developed allergies to HEMA and had to stop. Nail art seals in beautifully with the top coat, as does foiling......and the foiling doesn't move. Dries fast, goes on well, loads of colours, only thing that it can't handle is bleach. Just wish they sold some multi colour packs even in smaller bottles would work.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by bkurant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

my new favorite nail polish. as much as i love the SH Complete Salon - the brush, the color selection, etc - this lasts much better. applying 2 coats of color and 1 coat of top polish, can easily give you 7 days of perfect manicure.
after a week, the tips of nails begin to show. but that is the small price to pay for a solid week of no chips, no scratches, no fading color. love it!
i bought 3 collors and a top coat. the colors are great, though selection is rather limited to begin with, and most drug stores have very few bottles on display. could not even find it at cvs, while walgreens had 1 stray bottle among essie polishes :) duane reade has quite a few, but as always the prices are the highest :(
what i noticed with the polishes i purchased, that the brushes are all different. some are closer in quality and almost as wide as those of complete salon line. others are thin and lower quality. hope SH will imporove quality control as they roll out more product.
before i forget, the drying time varies dramatically based on time of the day and the weather. when i first applied the polish, while sitting outside on a sunny day, it was dried within a few minutes. completly dry, without any high-speed top coat. i was amazed.
the next time i did manicure late in the evening. without direct sun, it took quite awhile for all 3 coats to dry completely. seemed much longer than my usual essie, opi etc
but then again, once dried it lasts quite a long time. enjoy!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2014 10:55:00 PM More reviews by xade

When I first bought this polish I was looking for an autumn brown. Wasn't the cheapest but the Spice Age brown was so pretty I just couldn't resist. Got home and realized I needed to also buy the top coat. Ugh. I tried it without and one coat was good enough and dried perfectly fine. It lasted about 4 days with dish washing and showers. I decided to give in and try the top coat. I went to target, and picked up a bottle and the bottle was black but I was expecting that. Got home and realized I had bought their black polish because someone put it back in the wrong place. Ugh!!! On the plus side the black is also wonderful and dries fine in one coat. Not sure if I'll buy the top coat after this..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2014 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Beth

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Gel polish has changed my life on a small level. As I get older, I find that standard polishes chip after just a few days, meaning either I spend more time doing my nails, or I walk around with a foul-looking manicure. I jumped on the gel bandwagon three years ago and have so much more time to do the things I love without giving myself a manicure every 3-4 days. Still, every time I hear of a standard polish that promises gel-like wear without the UV light, I'm a sucker to at least try it. RiteAid had a sale ($7.99USD instead of $9.99), so I decided to try the Miracle Gel. It purports to be a two-step non-UV gel...color + top coat only, no base coat required. I chose Mad Women, a shimmery magenta that matches a certain sweater I have.

Pros:
--The color is nice. A shimmery beet red with a hint of purple. Great color for fall and winter. And, two coats is sufficient for full color, unlike some shimmers that are so sheer you need three coats.
--The brush is filbert-shaped, rather than squared off, so application is more precise.
--The glass bottle is sturdy enough that it won't tip over accidentally.

Cons: Just one, but it's a dealbreaker:
--Despite my extreme care in applying, it chipped almost immediately. I gave myself a professional-level manicure, including cuticle removal, buffing, and cleansing the nail surfaces of all oils prior to applying. I applied each coat (two coats of color, plus one color of top coat) slowly under a magnifying desk lamp, and sat for at least fifteen minutes between color coats. I sat for over an hour after applying the top coat. I wore gloves while doing household tasks. And it still chipped within hours of application. It chipped WHILE I WAS SLEEPING, for Pete's sake. It was soft enough after four hours that it still marred when I tried to pry something open with a nail. (Yes, I know I'm not supposed to use my nails as tools.) It continued to chip on days 2 and 3. On day 3, it started to peel on one sidewall, despite my avoidance of the cuticle area. I am now walking around with a foul-looking manicure.

That's it. I am DONE with pseudo-gel polishes. I will keep the color, but apply a UV top coat over it (and base coat under it) to salvage part of my investment. Shellac, Gelish....I'm sorry I strayed from you. Can you ever forgive me? I won't stray again, promise!