September 23, 2014 | 1720 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - Miracle Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by hookemhorns18

I am very impressed with this nail polish! I had been wanting to try the real gel polish since I took my acrylic nails off in April after 7 years of wear. I decided to try this polish after reading that gel polish can ruin your nails. This polish goes on nicely but I think it looks best with 3 coats. It does not streak or bubble like my other polishes and the top coat makes it look like salon gel polish. I work as a cashier at a retail store, wash dishes, and clean around my house so I'm rough with my hands. There is a trick I use with my top coat so it doesn't streak the color and leave bald spots. Wait until the color is completely dry then sort of "lay" a thick coat of the top coat on and don't brush it. This polish dries quick and I have no sheet marks! I wore 2 colors recently and they lasted 5 days before tip wear and chipping started. Most polishes chip or peel off after 1-3 days due to my lifestyle; I had no issues with this polish peeling. For me, it doesn't last 14 days but 5 days is okay with me since I like to change my color often. This polish is on the expensive side but it's cheaper than getting the real gel done in a salon. I will definitely purchase more colors. I'm currently trying the top coat over another brand of polish and will see how long it lasts. Will keep you posted!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by 365686

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I want to be an advocate for this nail polish because it's pretty much changed my life! My nails are paper thin and regular nail polish won't last a day on me, no matter what I do. I was getting gel manicures, but it became way too costly and even the salon gel would chip after like 5 days on me. My only option was acrylics, but now I'm not even allowed to have that because I work in a hospital and acrylic nails are considered a breeding ground for bacteria, and so they are banned. So for the last couple of years of my life my nails have just been naked : / That being said, I saw this Miracle Gel at my Walgreens, looked at for like 10 minutes, wondered if it could be real or a gimmick, saw that it was $20 for color and top coat combined, and I figured it wasn't worth it. Well, I couldn't stop thinking about it for like two days and when I went back the color selection had dwindled down and I ended up with Bare Dare. I carefully applied this as soon as I got home and it turned out to be everything I had ever dreamed of! First of all, it was the perfect nude shade for my olive skin and I somehow applied it with no streaks, which has never happened for me with light nude colors. It was opaque, beautiful and true to the color that it was in the bottle. I did two coats of color and one top coat, and OMG it lasted for 5 days. On the fifth day it did start to chip, but this was okay because I was ready for a new shade anyway. May I remind you that regular nail polish doesn't last more than 1 day on me, ever! Needless to say, I am thrilled and have added the colors Smartease, Crème de la creme, and Pretty Piggy to my collection. I am trying to get more shades, however, every store in my area has pretty much sold out of this product and I am worried that it is being discontinued :(

For those people who have not been satisfied with this product, I feel like maybe it's being applied in the wrong way. If it works for me then it should work for someone with good nails like 10 times better. I suggest going to Sally Hansen's website and looking at the directions and information for this product. The way I apply is to clean nails with alcohol, apply to short nails, don't paint over the cuticle, and apply two coats of color and one top coat allowing it to dry completely in between each coat. The result is thick, shiny, resilient gel-like polish.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2014 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Sherikins

I will never buy this again. First off it streaked horribly forcing me to apply two coats. Second it chipped within (no lie) the first hour after I was done - and it was downhill from there. Chipped and wore off quicker than regular polish. I will go back to their Instadry as it lasts way longer. Disappointed as I had high expectations for this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by Ohheydiana

So, I was really excited when they came out with this polish just because I've been doing shellac for so long and its just wasting my money. I did like this polish the first time I used it but the second time it just wasn't working. Not sure why. Maybe cause my nails are so short or something. Anyways I ordered a shellac machine online and have started doing my own shellac nails. Wooo. Ladies in the Portland area, come on over and you can use my lamp ha. Xoxo, Diana<3

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2014 10:28:00 AM More reviews by maggiperk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love having pretty manicured fingers and toes, but I hate that my manicures only last a few days. I'm too cheap to pay for a manicure and I balked at the price of this polish and put off buying it until CVS had a "Buy one, get one 50% off" which brought the price of two bottles down to about what I'd pay for two bottle of OPI or Essie.

I usually use a nail buffer to slightly rough up my nails. You want the 'smooth' side, not the 'buff' or 'polish' side of the buffer. It gives the polish something to grip. Also, I wash my hands well with soap and water and give the nails a swipe of rubbing alcohol, just to make sure there is no oil. I can normally get a week of wear from even cheap polish, a base coat and top coat when I do this.

Back to the Miracle Gel. I followed the directions and used 2 coats of polish in "Street Flair" and then one coat of the top-coat. I noticed it smelled more like epoxy than polish, and I was very hopeful that I could get 2 weeks of wear out of it.
The brush holds a LOT of polish, and I had to wipe it off a lot, because it was too much. Once my two coats dried, I used the top coat. It grabbed some of the polish off and left a streak on one nail, but it's not that noticeable.

By the end of the first day I was getting wear at the tips of my nails. No chips, but you could see where the polish had worn off already. I do a lot of typing and maybe that's it.

I kept it on for the full 2 weeks, although the tips on all of the nails have worn off. However, there in no chipping. It's just worn off from heavy use. Everywhere except the tips is fine.

That said, I won't be buying it again. It's too expensive for so-so results. I'll stick with the quick-dry stuff and live with re-painting every weekend.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by etoilesud

I LOVE THIS POLISH. I used to go to nail salon faithfully every 2-3 weeks for two years to get a gel manicure. However, I got tired of the cost, the time it took to remove the polish, and how weak my nails were if I decided not to use the shellac/nextgen. During my shellac/gel hiatus I saw this advertised on TV and immediately went to buy it. I LOVE THIS POLISH. So far I have tried three colors (B-Girl, Pink cadillac, and Smart tease). I have had beautiful results with all three with two coats. I seal it with the miracle gel top coat and I have gorgeous nails. I love that no base coat is needed, no lamp is needed, and it dries so quickly. Prior to this miracle gel by Sally Hansen I could never get nice results at home. I'm collecting all the colors and now I'm enjoying doing my nails now. With this polish I get at least a 7-10 days of beautiful wear and the only reason I'm changing my polish is because I want to wear another color. Thank you Sally Hansen.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 6:31:00 AM More reviews by Elle1985

1st off this isn't Shellac, and you shouldn't buy it if that's exactly what your looking for. It's a drug store polish and even best case scenario I have yet in my life of nail polish binging lol purchased a drug store polish that lasted 2+ weeks! And everyone's nails and nail beds are different so what does work for you may not work for others and vice versa. I have slightly brittle nails, but they're not dry and I don't have oily nail beds.

I personally love this polish. I bought this and the revlon color envy and I had better luck with this. The revlon one last me about 3 days and started significant chipping. The Sally one has lasted me a week plus with no chips what so ever. The darker colors are much better then the light shades as with the light shaded you do have to apply several more coats to achieve full coverage and pigmentation. The brush is large, apply coats very well, and I think the difference is in the top coat. With both polished (sally and revlon) the high shine wore off within the first 2-3 days, but for me personally the sally hansen top coat seems to be better at protecting. I like a few other reviewers tried the top coat with other brand regular polishes and found the top coat great at locking in my manicure longer and extending its lasting power against the daily grind.

If your looking for a cost effective alternative to a salon paint job then for $7 you really can't go wrong, you'll get several manicures out it vs the $40+ for 1 Shellac mani. And again I can't stress enough it's not shellac and doesn't claim to be the same quality nor does Revlon's, so don't go into it expecting a bulletproof manicure but I personally got great life resistant nails out of this polish and would recommend :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2014 12:22:00 AM More reviews by sharon517

I'm on the fence with this polish. Initially, I was excited about an alternative to a salon gel manicure. I got both the clear top coat and red eye color from Target on sale for about $7 bucks each. I love love love the thick brush, it goes on smooth and nearly covers my whole nail. I applied two coats of the red, and 2 coats of the top coat, for good measure. I will say the shine this polish produces is brilliant, and comparable to any professional salon.

However, the next day, I noticed chips on the tips of at least two of my fingers..and this is just from light typing and driving. When i attempted to open up a cardboard box, a huge chunk of polish came off. By day 4 there was noticeable chips on all of my nails so I just decided to take it off and try again. After reading good reviews, maybe I was doing something wrong? I also read that people have used different brands of polish with the top coat and had good results so...

I applied two coats of my iredescient green China Glaze polish, making certain i coated the underside of my all my tips. I did the same thing with the SH clear top coat, this time, paying close attention to applying thick coats at the edge of my nails and my cuticles. By day 2 with the China Glaze Polish I had no visible chips, or smudging! This is after washing and braiding my hair, opening up packages, and typing all day.

Maybe it's the SH miracel gel color I got, but for those who have chipping I would suggest using another high quality brand of polish (NOT the SH miracel gel kind) with the clear top coat before returning this product or throwing it away. I'm a little disappointed that these miracel gels colors and top coats don't play nice with each other, but at least I've had success with using another polish.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2014 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Shadowsmommy

I bought this in B Girl about 3 days ago in hopes that I could have a long lasting gel-like manicure.

Application: First of all the application was wonky, it was streaky in between coats and even though I let each coat dry it seemed as though every time the brush went over the layers it would pull up polish. It took 3 coats to reach opacity. Finally after my nails were completely dry to the touch I applied the top coat. When I applied the top coat some of the color from the base coat showed up on the bristles. I didn't buy polish to have to wipe off the brush every time I do a brush stroke. After I applied the top coat and let it dry I let my nails set in the sunlight to supposedly help dry it faster, and cure it (on the bottle it says that natural light does all the work). Well, I didn't notice any faster drying time, in fact it took about 15 minutes just to get it dry to the touch.

Wear: After it finally was dry I headed out to do shopping. I grabbed my keys from the ignition and bumped my index finger... To my dismay, the nail polish had completely came off where I hit my nail. Mind you, this was about 2-3 hours later. I was very disappointed when that happened. I continued my day and looked over my nails later that evening and they had multiple dents, dings, and chips in one day. I finally said forget it, and went to return it the next day. The lady at Walmart asked me why I was returning it, and I said because it chipped in one day and there were multiple dings and dents in it within hours of applying it. After I told her what was up with it, she said that a lady came in the other day returning hers and had the same issues.

Price: I would not recommend this product to anyone at all. I don't know if I had faulty bottles, but I'm not spending $10-$15 to find out if it was just that set. It's over priced and to be honest doesn't do what it claims. After I returned the polish I went ahead and caved and bought a gel system. There are other Nail polish companies out there that make good quality gel-like polishes. I would definitely check out Revlon's Gel Envy line. I've heard people say that it's comparable to their old Colorstay line which worked awesome for me. Sorry this was so long, but I had to put a honest review and this is my experience with this particular polish. Thanks for reading!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 8:43:00 AM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this polish! The best one I've ever used, and I've used drugstore and high end too!

I got the set with the top coat and the bright coral shade (I forgot the name and I don't have it with me right now), and it was pretty expensive for a d/s product, but well worth it.

My nails are not the greatest, I have vertical ridges in them and they are not smooth, but the polish itself does a great job at camouflaging the ridges. Not completely, but more than the other polishes I've used in the past. The color is a bright coral, and it's perfect for summer.
I apply 2 coats, and they dry fast and not streaky. I like the brush, it deposits the color evenly.

Then comes the top coat, which makes everything look even smoother and glossy. I apply 2 coats of this as well, and within 2-3 minutes everything is dry and I'm ready to go.

The best part about this manicure set is that it lasts quite a long time, I can keep it on for a week - this is great for me, since my job involves lots of computer typing. Everything chips within the first day or 2, but not this. Yes, I've gotten chips after day 3 or 4, but only when I only applied 1 coat of the top coat, and the chips were so tiny I could have gone another day or 2 without retouching them.
Just like with the Shellac, my problem is that my nails grow too fast, so I always get that gap at the base of the nail, which is the reason I do reapply this polish weekly. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure I could go 10 days without having to redo the whole thing.

The reason I like this more than the Shellac is because it doesn't damage my nails at all. If anything, it's very easy to remove. Shellac ruined my nails after having it done 4 times in a row, which is why now I have all these ridges and weak nails. I swore I would never get it again. Hence, this Sally Hansen set is a great replacement, I hope they come up with even more shades and that they maintain the quality.