October 21, 2014 | 1819 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - Colour Refreshing Gloss

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2014 11:31:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Have had much better luck w Aveda Black Malva conditioner (reviewing cool brunettes). Put on dry hair for 10 minutes for optimal color saturation. Trying to tone down henna red. I like to henna for the benefits and like a warm tone I just don't want the blazing red sometimes. So this I guess was a satisfactory experience. It's weird feeling rinsed out but feels pretty normal dry. It's a little shinier I guess. I wouldn't repurchase since I prefer the (more expensive :() black malva.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2014 7:22:00 AM More reviews by ourhouse

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So far, so good. My hair went grey in my 20s and I went broke in my 40s, so I no longer get my hair professionally colored. I'm happy with my light brown box color except it pulls brassy orange really quickly, especially with the summer sun. I used the cool brown gloss yesterday and my hair now looks much less brassy, which was my primary goal. It's got a bit more gloss and still has plenty of body, so like I said, so far, so good. I'll update if this product turns weird after regular use. I sure hope it doesn't, because I truly hate the brassy look.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2014 1:03:00 PM More reviews by dcarpend

I loved the old John Frieda Luminous Color Glaze, and this is pretty much the same thing.

For years, I had a barter relationship with the best stylist/colorist in town -- I gave him a massage every Monday, and he cut and colored my hair every 5 weeks. Bliss. Sadly, he moved out of town several months back, and it doesn't make sense for him to drive the 40 minutes into town on his day off to get a massage. I've been trying to work out how to have great hair at a price I can afford.

I'd been touching up my roots -- I'm totally gray -- so I wouldn't lose my pretty highlights, but it finally came time to redo my base color. Thanks to my erstwhile stylist, I knew to mix three parts light golden brown with one part light auburn, and the base color came out great, but I wanted highlights. I went to the beauty school and got them done.

Honestly, she did a nice job -- not as fine and subtle as my brilliant stylist, but really quite good. But they were too light, and too ashy for my skin tone -- I really had wanted them more golden/reddish.

I bought all three warm shades of this stuff, and mixed it, three parts each of the warm blonde and warm red, and one part of the warm brown. Slathered it on dry hair, combed it through, and let it sit till it was nearly dry. Rinsed it out, and conditioned well. (I rarely shampoo, my hair is so dry.)

The results were *brilliant* -- all my highlights still there, but the warmer, more red-gold color I wanted, and more natural looking.

It wasn't cheap to buy three colors, but because I'm mixing the three, they should last a while, and it was considerably cheaper than going to see my genius stylist friend to get my color fixed. Perfect solution.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2014 1:48:00 PM More reviews by orthoRN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted to add a review because this did *exactly* what I wanted it to. I used it with realistic expectations. It's not "hair color"...it really is just a color refreshing gloss. I can actually say this is the product I have imagined in my mind that I would love to find but never had, the closest I got was Jazzing color, which I would sometimes mix into conditioner and just use it like a gloss. I got the one for "cool brunettes". I am 44, have salt and pepper medium brown hair with quite a bit of grey mixed in, and I am lazy about coloring, so I usually just do a semi/demi (?) color, the kind that fade in 28 days supposedly. And I only do that every few months, so that's why I say I'm lazy. I don't care if my grey's show. My hair tends to go very brassy which I HATE, and I really prefer a cool espresso but lighter color. I followed the directions exactly except I left it in about 7 or 8 minutes because I was shaving my legs. My hair now looks "toned" as in, the brassy red tone is way subdued, and the color just looks a bit cooler and fresher, and it did add a decent amount of shine. I am really happy with it, and as long as you have a realistic expectation, I think most people would really like this.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by goodie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

It works. I won't say it's the HG, but I will say it did what it said it would do. Tone down the brassy? Yes. Leave a little extra shine? Yes. I've used it once, it's only been a few days and so far, I believe it's a winner. I will continue to use it and see how it holds up after repeated uses. My hair was bordering on orange at the ends and that is all gone! It's very nice. Good luck if u decide to try it! Just remember: be prepared to ventilate the area u use it in and u will b smelling the scent in your hair for at least 24 hours afterwards!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/11/2014 8:56:00 PM More reviews by tswope57

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used this two times (one time each week) and I didn't see any difference in gloss or shine in the 2 weeks I've used it. I can't attest as to whether it restores color as it begins to fade since I've only used it twice, however I purchased it because it said "colour refreshing GLOSS" and I was looking for that aspect of it. I will finish the bottle without further expectations, and will look for something else that promises a glossy finish to my hair.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

Not that impressed. It helps with some fading but I wouldn't pay for this stuff again. It doesn't last very long and it's pricey. The reason I wouldn't buy this again is because I dye my hair every 4-5 weeks and this didn't make much of a difference in how it held the color.

For $15 it's a waste for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2014 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Trilbynyc

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. It's super-easy to use and the cool brown leaves a gorgeous color on my too-brassy, fragile, dyed blonde hair. It tones down the brassiness and doesn't make it too dark. When dry, my hair feels silky and, so far, seems to be resisting all the lovely humidity in the air.

I leave it on more like 10 minutes, although the directions say 3. It covers roots like a boss. I'm thinking of letting my natural pepper-and-salt color grow in while I continue to use Gloss, as home dying is frying my hair badly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 10:10:00 AM More reviews by Songbird222

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have burgundy colored hair, and recently purchased this product for cool reds to keep my color vibrant. For all of you with colored red hair, you know how quickly it fades. This product is fantastic. It's so easy to use - I love the ability to apply in-shower. It does turn your hands pink, but just follow the directions and wash it off with soap after application. This is just what I've been looking for to counteract color fading!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by glamourdoll

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Of course I saw the ads in various glossy mags and decided I must try this. I got the one for warm browns. My hair is down to the middle of my back so because I need more product per use I will get fewer uses of this. I think this does give a very subtle boost to my hair.........but I think it smells bad (maybe that won't bother you). My biggest complaint with this product is that it is VERY hard to rinse out of hair. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed but my hair felt kind of odd afterwards. I am not sure that I will repurchase.