John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss

3.0

All Shades: Water, Propylene Carbonate, Alcohol Denat., Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Dimethiconol, Malic Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone. Cool Blondes: Ext. Violet 2 Warm Blondes: Ext. Violet 2, Orange 4 Cool Brunettes & Warm Brunettes: Ext. Violet 2, Orange 4, Yellow 10 Cool Reds: Red 33, Ext. Violet 2 Warm Reds: Orange 4, Red 33, Ext. Violet 2

on 8/29/2015 6:29:00 AM

I tried this years ago when I had a rich, deep, bright red color in my hair. Much to my chagrin, this product failed to deposit color in my hair. I had much more like with Aveda's color-depositing products, but in truth, I do not think that any of these products lives up to their claims. This has a very jelly-like consistency and does not smell pleasant. I also found it to be a bit drying on my hair. I would not repurchase this.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The product for cool brunettes is a waste of money. This de-conditions my hair and does nothing for the color. If anything, I feel like my color looks more faded after using. I purchased this at the same time as I purchased a box of John Frieda color. (I've been using the color for a couple of years now and I am perfectly happy with it.) No point in adding the gloss. Save your money and your time.

on 7/22/2015 6:33:00 PM

Well, no. I have dark brown hair but underneath i have bleached/dyed red hair so my hair is brassy. I thought this would be perfect until my next coloring. I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo (as you should do if you do a gloss or a toner) and left the gloss for 5 minutes. It did NOTHING. Nada, zero. My hair looks exactly the same as before. I am disappointed. Fortunately it was on sale so i only paid 5$ but still...Oh well.

on 4/27/2015 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have dark black hair with brunette highlights that were getting brassy. I didn't want to have to go into the salon and pay for toner, so I bought this gloss in cool brunette. It worked perfectly! My highlights were returned to their non-orange state (and may even look better/more natural than when I first got the highlights). As for the "glossing" aspect of the product, I didn't notice much change except that my hair was very soft right after I used it. Though my hair is fairly healthy normally, so that didn't bother me too much. This product is definitely worth a try for those who want to avoid those awful orange streaks in their hair.

on 3/20/2015 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I figured out a way to use this product to my best advantage, which is not exactly according to the package instructions. My hair has about 25% gray with some small patches of 90% gray. I dye my roots every few months with 7A or 8A color to cover the gray. My hair tends toward orange though when I do this. The way I use the Colour Refreshing Gloss in Cool Brunette is as follows: wash hair as usual, get out of the shower, squeeze hair dry, using a haircolor brush and bowl, brush the gloss on the roots in sections in the same manner you would dye your roots, (put extra on the very gray areas), then I usually put deep conditioner on all the rest of my hair. I leave this on for an hour or more while I do other things around the house. After I rinse everything out and style my hair, the root areas are shiny and a better color than before because the cool brunette counteracts the orange. Best of all the gray is gone! (if only temporarily)

on 3/18/2015 2:30:00 PM

on 1/13/2015 2:57:00 PM

"For Cool Brunettes". . . . *blech* This product is useless for me. It seems, to me, to be nothing more than serum with some pigments. It imparted no color and did not tone down warmth, at all. It did, however, leave a revolting, dull silicone coating on my hair.

My hair is quite long and naturally very straight - somewhat Asian type hair. About 65-70% grey, but colored and uncolored many, many times (but not with permanent box color or double process color).

on 1/10/2015 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this yesterday at Walmart because it was clearance priced at 5$, honestly how could I turn that down? My hair is currently hennaed and leans towards copper with I'd say red highlights. Though henna doesn't really fade (except on the previously mentioned red highlights, because those areas were bleached due to overlapping highlighting when I was a dirty blonde) Anyways, henna color doesnt budge much and I absolutely adore it, but lately I've been feeling lazy and not up for the daunting task of doing an application.

So, coincidentally I stumbled upon the Color Refreshing Gloss for Warm Reds. I've used the regular glaze (clear version) and I liked it so I thought this would be great. But, and as much as I wanted to like this, I don't.

The packaging is fine, the smell was soooo good, but the gloss was disappointing. It is a thickish, see-through gloss but what really gets me is that it looks pink toned. Some reds lean towards pink, I find in the more unnatural spectrum, but other reds (like me), are orange based and I think that's the more natural red/copper/strawberry blonde tone.
I hate pinky reds for myself, esp depositing products because they don't cater to wannabe natural reds like me.

Also, I followed the instructions and actually rinsed with cold water (as I do every time I wash my hair) not just for anti-fade purposes but because rinsing in cold water enhances shine, IMO. and finally, I let my hair just air dry when I was done and this morning I woke up and my hair looks meh. I mean, my roots look shinier, because theyre newer and undamaged by previous chemical dyes, but it did nothing for my lengths.

ALL IN ALL: I would never pay full price for this and I'd say as for a 'color refreshing' gloss, it basically does the same thing as the glaze in that it boosts shine. I would rather pay more money for a product that is geared towards orange reds and actually deposits color

on 10/9/2014 11:31:00 PM

Have had much better luck w Aveda Black Malva conditioner (reviewing cool brunettes). Put on dry hair for 10 minutes for optimal color saturation. Trying to tone down henna red. I like to henna for the benefits and like a warm tone I just don't want the blazing red sometimes. So this I guess was a satisfactory experience. It's weird feeling rinsed out but feels pretty normal dry. It's a little shinier I guess. I wouldn't repurchase since I prefer the (more expensive :() black malva.

on 9/3/2014 7:22:00 AM

So far, so good. My hair went grey in my 20s and I went broke in my 40s, so I no longer get my hair professionally colored. I'm happy with my light brown box color except it pulls brassy orange really quickly, especially with the summer sun. I used the cool brown gloss yesterday and my hair now looks much less brassy, which was my primary goal. It's got a bit more gloss and still has plenty of body, so like I said, so far, so good. I'll update if this product turns weird after regular use. I sure hope it doesn't, because I truly hate the brassy look.