December 19, 2014 | 832 users online

Eye Shadow - Kevyn Aucoin - The Essential Eye Shadow Set Palette #5

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 3:56:00 AM More reviews by timothybcat

Oh, how they have gone slumming with your name, Mr. Aucoin. God rest your beautiful soul. There's just no way--NO WAY--a product of this quality could have slipped past the brand's namesake. I bought this on Hautelook, so I didn't pay that much for this at all. (I can't even remember how much it was, tbh). Nonetheless, I can get better shadows for $3. It's pathetic.

Packaging: Pretty. It's a lightweight blood red plastic with a nice enclosure. You press the little gold bar in and it flicks open just slightly. It has a nice big mirror inside. Two crappy little sponge tip applicators: why would you even bother?

Quality: Crap. The colors are gorgeous together. You get a bubble gum pink, a sparkly peach, a medium blue pink, an orchid and a plum. I worked this sucker. I used different primers, different brushes, I went back and forth with my brush so many times I can't even tell you. No matter what, the shadows are dry, stiff, and extremely sheer. With a lot of work, you can get a really lovely understated purple-sunset eye, but I guarantee you could grab any random shadow off the drug store shelves and find better quality.

With the name Aucoin stamped on this palette, this is completely inexcusable. Kevyn Aucoin is one of the most influential makeup artists of all time, worked on every 90s supermodel and superstar you can think of, and made an indelible impression on the industry as well as every individual he worked with. He deserves a lot better than this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Lepin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Housed inside a sleek cinnabar enameled red compact are five unique shadows that appear garish. At the top are two highlighters, matte peach on the left and a demure slightly shimmery pink to the right. Beneath from left to right is a softened hot pink, anemone violet and smoked plum, all matte. This palette looks intimidating, had I paid full price it certainly would have been prohibitive from both a financial and aesthetic perspective but,purchasing this from Hautelook softened the impact. That said, I am really, really loving this palette. I use the peach shadow as an all over my lid base color to enhance my blue eyes. These colors are sheer, not buildable or opaque. Because they are quite electric the translucent effect makes them wearable. I then blend the pink color just under my brow bone and across my lid. If I want drama I cut the crease with the plum color and using a liner brush sweep this along my lower lashes for a dusty effect. For more drama I use the anemone violet as a liner. (I have yet to work with the softened hot pink color.) I then blend everything. The finished effect is very polished yet modern. I didn't experience any creasing but because these are sheer I did get powdery fallout upon application. I have not worn these with a primer but suspect that would intensify the pigmentation. My experience with KA matte shadows is that they are quite powdery and IMO not worth the retail price. Regardless I love them. RIP Kevyn.