Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Mascara

3.7

Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera Cera, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Steareth-2, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Acacia Senegal, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Fragrance, Disodium Edta, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Tin Oxide.

This stuff was the worlds best mascara well.. Until it dried out quick! It gives you volume, length and does not clump but still not happy cause the product does not last maybe 1month.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This mascara is such a tease! For the first 2-3 weeks I used it, I was just in love with it. Sure it was a little drier than what I was used to, but it really delivered on giving me that super black, super long, voluminous and perfectly defined set of lashes that I craved. It lengthened my lashes better than any mascara I'd ever tried, and gave my lashes a lot of volume without ever looking spiky or clumpy. It also never smudged or flaked on me, which surprised me as dry mascara formulas often leave me with a lot of black debris on my cheeks by the end of the day. And the brush was perfect. It has a nice set of short silicone bristles that grabbed every lash yet never felt sharp and pointy when I applied mascara to the roots of my upper lashes. The relatively slim profile of the brush made it work pretty well on my lower lashes too. And the tube is so pretty! I'm not generally a fan of metallic gold packaging as I often think it looks cheap and flashy, but YSL's gold packaging always manages to pull it off without looking ostentatious.

But after a few weeks, I started noticing how quickly the mascara was drying out. After a month, it was dried out almost to the point of being unusable. What the hell?! I tried reviving it with eye drops, which helped get it to the point where I could get the brush through my lashes, but didn't return it to the glory I experienced when the tube was new. The results I get now are merely "meh" as opposed to the "WOW!!"

IMO, it's unforgivable for a $30 mascara to dry out after a month's use. That's something I could put up with for a $10 mascara, maybe even with a $20 mascara, if I loved the mascara at its best as much as I loved YSL Babydoll. But for $30, I just can't justify the expense. I don't even want to buy it as a special occasion mascara as I'm not sure I can trust it to not dry out between uses.

Such a shame, as for a minute there I thought I had found my Holy Grail mascara. I'll definitely keep my eye out for Sephora to offer it as a BI point reward, but I can't see myself spending money on it ever again.

on 2/2/2015 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

So torn with this one! Bought this as a payday treat for myself lured in by the good reviews. On the first few uses it really is a stunning mascara. Truly gorgeous. Insanely lengthening and defining, for real. It's black as night and lashes look almost fase (in a good way) - I had people complimenting me on the size of my lashes!

Now here's the part where I have to reduce its praises. IT DRIES SO FAST. I think mine lasted about a month before I had a flaky, crumbling mess on my eyes. I would really, really like it to stay creamy for longer to get my money's worth - seeing as it is a luxury product and costs a LOT (about 25 in the UK).

My advice would be: get it if it's on offer, or if you are rich. Otherwise, I think there's gotta be a dupe out there that can give you the same results for less!

on 1/25/2015 1:04:00 AM

Love this mascara! It's one of the best mascara's out there. Totally worth every penny.. It doesn't have that strong/chemical smell that other mascara's. This lasted me a year and i use it every day plus after it dried up i added eye drops and viola - brand new mascara for free! However, i'm going to switch from babydoll to another one just for the sake of changing.

on 1/24/2015 5:55:00 PM

Really disappointed with this product. Like many others on here I received a free sample of this mascara (with my YSL Touche Eclat) and found it amazing - it was really lengthening on my lashes and the mascara (which is quite wet) glided on a dream with no clumps. I was complimented on it numerous times so I decided to treat myself to a proper one after Christmas.

On opening, the new one already felt drier and was harder to apply. I've only had it for three weeks now and I don't even bother to use it anymore. It's so dry I feel like you have to drag it through your eyelashes just to apply it and it makes your lashes look clumpy and awful. Strangely, I tried the tester one the other day and it's just as good as I remember it to be. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I believe that the ingredients in the tester are different than the ingredients in the full product - which is shocking.

I spent so much money on this mascara as a treat and it's so bad I can't even carry on using it to use it up. I expected much better from YSL.

on 1/11/2015 5:50:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I won't use any other mascara. I know it's ridiculously pricy but I can't live withought it! My lashes are already pretty long but this makes them even more longer blacker and fuller and the curl last all day. I just love it

on 1/10/2015 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Yet another that doesn't live up to its hype for me. I found that this instantly made my lashes spidery and clumpy- even worse than Benefit's They're Real.

on 1/5/2015 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Not worth £25. It has only lasted about 2 months and I don't even use this everyday. The product dries up very quickly and a £7 maybelline mascara can last me up to 5/6 months with better results! Unless the lady sold me the tester tube rather than a brand new product, this mascara has really disappointed me, especially after being really impressed by the sample free gift I had of it beforehand. I wouldn't recommend.

on 12/27/2014 8:47:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

this is such a great mascara. I got it as a present for my birthday in October, and have been using it since. It has a slightly wet formula which makes it easier to apply, and the brush is AMAZING. it also comes off super easily at the end of the day, so extra points for that. It's really expensive though, and I'm not sure what I'll do when I run out of the one I got as a present

on 12/4/2014 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have heard great things about this mascara and after liking YSL's Faux Cils Shocking, I thought I would like this too. I tried this mascara out on three separate occasions. It didn't give the volume I needed and I felt like it performed the same as drug store mascaras. I will update later if anything changes. I will not repurchase.
EDIT: I tried this mascara again on 12/20 and I got the same results. I like the fact that it holds a curl very well, but it can look somewhat spikey. I still prefer the YSL Faux Cils.