Maybelline The Rocket Volum' Express Waterproof

3.7

First of all this is an amazing waterproof mascara. It works well on hot summer days, when your eyes are watery or you have a stick straight lashes like mine. I have seen many reviews on here complaining that it's hard to remove. I had to scratch my head a few times and write an obvious response - ladies this is a waterproof mascara it will be hard to remove this product. You have to use an oil based make up remover to take it off. It is meant to hold your curls and lasts for the whole day. If you are having issues taking it off or you want to be able to take off your lashes with just water then this product isn't for you. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have Asian short lashes and with a help of my trusted Shu Uemura curler and a layer of this mascara, the result is visible: my lashes are beautifully curled, look longer and stay put for at least 12 hours, no joke. Yes, it separates the lashes and for me in particular, no, they don't seem to add much volume. But as I always wear a second layer of mascara (non-waterproof), it then gives the desired volume.

But I still don't mind and give it five stars as the results I got with Maybelline's Rocket Volum' is amazing. I have a new tube of the Colossal one which I won't be looking forward to wearing when this one is empty.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Had it for about a week now. This review is mainly to compare the Rocket to Colossal, my old favorite.

Pros:
- Lengthening.
- LOTS of lift from the brush, no need for eyelash curlers.

Cons:
- Not as volumizing as Colossal by Maybelline.
- Separates your lashes in an unnatural way. Very straight and ordered, not soft.

I think there are two camps when it comes to who prefers what mascara: length and volume. I have long lashes, but they are sparse, so naturally I am a volume person. Colossal gives me volume and the Rocket gives me length.

The Rocket has a spiked plastic wand unlike the Colossal which sports a very thick spooly wand. The spikes are really good at hooking and lifting lashes. Using an eyelash curler is overkill, I felt like my lashes were almost being pushed back onto my lid. However, the spikes also act like a comb and really separate lashes in this strangely orderly fashion. The only way I can describe it is if you over-gelled your hair and dragged a comb through it leaving the texture of the comb's teeth in your hair. This texture makes it hard to build volume without everything sticking together.

Colossal's comb fosters a more disordered feathered appearance which looks a more natural and volumized. When I asked my SO what he thought he said the Colossal side stood out more, asking if I applied more mascara there, but I had actually done 2 coats on the Colossal side to the Rocket side's 3. I've uploaded a picture illustrating this, sorry I took it with a shitty camera but I think it does the job.

Overall this is NOT a bad mascara. I think they wear the same, I didn't have issues with flaking or fall out or anything like that, but if you want volume over length you might want to try something else.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely love this mascara! I tried other mascaras and I just didn't like it. It holds my curl, give me volume as well as length. It doesn't clump and it looks absolutely great! This is always my number one mascara when I go to a store, I will probably never switch to another one unless I can find one that can totally beat this one. If you want to try, TRY it! You won't regret it. :)

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This is my ultimate favourite mascara, it holds the curl of the lashes as well as adding length and volume. It doesn't clump up which is a pet peeve of mine with mascara. The product lasts all day though it may be quite hard to remove the mascara when you want to take it off, you may need a good eye make up remover to do the job.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This mascara is very water resistant and looks fantastic in my long lashes, but it irritates my eyes and as a contact wearer, I feel that I have to be very specific in choosing mascaras. It makes my eyes dry and flakes a bit at the end of the day. I won't be repurchasing.

This is my HG mascara, I searched long and hard for a mascara that would give my Asian lashes some volume and this achieves that. The color is very opaque unlike a lot of other mascaras and it doesn't smudge or flake even in incredibly hot weather. The only downside is that because it's so waterproof, it's difficult to take off. I always feel like I have to tug at my eyes to get the product fully removed. It's worth it though because this mascara is amazing and I have yet to find something that comes close.

This must have been the worst mascara I've ever bought in a drug store. First of all, it is probably the clumpiest one - twice applied (one-time application doesn't seem to "register" with my eyelashes at all), it literally glues them to a single ugly clump that is pretty much impossible to get rid of, no matter how good a make-up remover you use. But for something so eager to stay put, it certainly crumbles a lot - an hour into wearing it you will look like a lovely panda bear. So save your money for something better.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

PROS:
- Holds curl well (I have straight Asian eyelashes and this is one of the few mascaras that manage to do that, though this one time I do notice my lashes falling down around the 4th hour which is not as good as how it usually performs, I was wearing only one thin coat of mascara + having glasses over them + using face mist, one of these could be the reason for that)
- Adds a bit of volume and definition to the lashes

CONS:
- Can get clumpy or spidery depends on how you apply it (I'm still trying to find a good method with it, some days it looks good, some days it doesn't)
- Plastic bristles can irritate eyes
- A pain in the butt to remove (I always find 1 or 2 lashes fallen off each time I remove my eye makeup T_T)

It does have its cons, but the fact that it's able to hold the curl so well is something I really appreciate. The brush does hurt my eyes quite a lot so I don't think I will repurchase.

I don't get why people love this thing. I have asian straight lashes, so I have to curl my lashes first before applying mascara. This mascara is really heavy and sticky which causes my lashes to droop back :( It's also clumpy and tend to give the spider lash effect... Not to mention that its kinda hard to remove... I really dont like it:(

Popular Mascaras