April 20, 2014 | 1842 users online

Eye Primer - TheBalm - Put a Lid On It

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by janelee123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of those eyelid primers you should try out if you have dry eyelids or non-oily eyelids. You can buy this from Birchbox online or from Amazon Prime for $15 so it's a good buy. It's definitely very moisturizing and velvety like the product says and comes out a yellowish color that blends to clear. Your powdery eyeshadows will stay put once you use this but the more creamy eyeshadows or cream eyeliners will probably smudge or diffuse out because this product can be so moisturizing. I usually wear eyeshadow and then eyeliner and while my eyeshadow stays put and vibrant, my eyeliner disappears within a few hours. It's probably great for more glittery or pigment eyeshadows though. Didn't break out my sensitive skin either.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:26:00 AM More reviews by missrosewood20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I want to start by mentioning that I have dry eyelids. It is to the point I have to apply eye cream to my eyelids.

But here is the thing if I don't apply eye cream and just put eyeshadow on, after about 2 hours, my shadows flakes off due to dryness, as if there is nothing to cling to on my lids.

If I apply eye cream before putting eyeshadow then it just slides off. So you see my dilemma.

But with this product what I do is, I apply my eye cream then the primer, then I let the primer dry for about a minute as it says on the packaging. After this I do my eye look. (Which is usually a light pink or a bronze color all over the lid, then a soft brown color in the crease, black liquid eyeliner with a wing and lots of mascara.)

The results are ... unbelievable. Firstly, the colors look more vibrant. Then the shadows stay put for hours and I mean I do my makeup at 7:30 am and take it off between 5:00-6:00 pm.

As you see I love the product and when I bought it, it was on sale (%50 off) at my local drugstore. Which was another bonus. When it is not on sale it might be much to some. (At least it is to me.) As for the packaging I love that it is in a tube and not a pot which keeps the product more sanitary although I would love to be able to see how much product I have left in it. So I can get another one when it goes on sale again.

I would recommend it to anyone which has the same problem I have but I can't say anything with someone who has oily eyelids.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by brunosbabysquirrel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is amazing! I'm very much into black jumbo pencils and I love smudging them out but eventually the problem that I would have with those sort of pencils is they smudge like crazyyy. Put a lid on it stopped that. It's great, but probably not the best as my eyeshadow seems to disappear throughout the day. So yeahh but I would totes buy that again:)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by AimeeNicole91

This works good for keeping my eyeshadow on all day long. It's a little bit more oily than other primers I have tried, which is why I still prefer the urban decay primer, however this one is less expensive and still works good. I would keep repurchasing!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hate to rain on this product's parade, but this primer doesn't work at all for me.

I have oily lids so reduced creasing and increased longevity/color vibrancy are important to me with an eye primer. I was really excited to try this after seeing good reviews online, but unfortunately I found that this doesn't improve the pigmentation & vibrancy of eye shadows, I still get creasing and my eyeshadows faded very quickly.

The product itself is a gel, very 'wet' feeling at first but dries down to a matte finish after 30 seconds or so. It's peach colored but when applied it turns transparent so it doesn't blank out the lid. I would imagine someone with drier lids might like this as the finish isn't drying but provides a nice matte base.

Overall, I much prefer UDPP or even MAC Pro Longwear concealer which performs better for me. I will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2014 8:16:00 PM More reviews by nunyabiness

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Meh

I bought this because it was the best reviewed lid primer on MUA.

I was disappointed.

I expected it to be wonderful, but it was average. Much of my eye shadow wore off during the day, and I was left with a thin line of dark shadow immediately above the crease...and my eyelids are not greasy.

average

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by lozzie88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love love love this it's the only thing that stops my eyelids getting oily, and it keeps my eyeshadow looking perfect from the start until I'm ready to wash it off. So much better (and cheaper) than UD primer potion and TF shadow insurance. A must buy! A little goes a long way so it'll last you a long time

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by carlablack

Here's another 5 stars to this one! :)
It comes in a convenient squeeze tube, smooth application, a little goes a long way, makes shadows last forever and great price! There's not a single thing i would change. I'm never gonna pay an arm and a leg for NARS's primer again!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by agirlwithcakedupmakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

So far this is THE BEST eye primer I have ever tried! I have super oily eyelids. I mean, insanely oily eyelids! I have tried UD's primer potion (good but doesn't last all day on my lids), L'Oreal decrease (crap), Maybelline color tattoos (why people recommend these as a primer I have no clue, as an eyeshadow base yes, but not a primer), MAC paint pots (again, good as a base not a primer), Lorac primer (which works awesome with lorac e/s but not with others for some reason) and Lumene (which was my HG primer that was discontinued from CVS a few years back but I bought a million back-ups)
Anyways, when I saw it go on sale on HauteLook for $9 I figured it was worth a shot! The product is a nude colored, gel-like consistency fluid that just sheers out upon application. You only need a little dot of product for each eye. Place the primer all over your eyelids and allow at least 1 minute for it to set. Once the primer is dry you can go ahead and begin applying your eyeshadow.
I find the eyeshadow lasts all day without creasing, the color stays true for at least 10 hours of wear and just makes application so easy (eyeshadow glides on and blends perfectly). I highly recommend this product!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this primer it's one of the few that does not make my eyes tear. It also lasts as long as UDPP in my opinion. In my mind this is the only one that works as well as Urban Decay but the bonus for me is it doesn't irritate my eyes. The colour is a very sheer nude it just bends away my veins and makes my lids look more even. I'm an NW15-20 for reference. It applies very smoothly and has a silky yet tacky feel to hold the shadow. So the shadow glides on very well and has something to adhere to. Once dry the surface is smooth and looks great.

The price was a little high 19$ when I saw it for 9$ on HauteLook I should of bought more but I had no idea how much I would love this. I will look for places to get it cheaper because it's the 1st primer that doesn't make my eyes tear! Plus the packaging is so dang cute and a squeeze tube I was sold.

My eyes always tear no matter what I do, where I put the primer,etc, you name it I probably have tried or done it. The only one that stacks up to this is UDPP which is my 1st love! This is a very close 2nd almost first because it has exceeded my expectations by so much. I have tried every eye primer on the market. From TooFace,Tarte,HourGlass,mineral primers, and so far this and Urban are the best the only difference is it is less irritating to my eyes. With UD sometimes I tear sometimes I don't so I'm not blaming the product.

I really think people with sensitive eyes will benefit from this. I never had eye issues till my 30's age for ya:( lol. But finally I can wear my palettes again because I won't cry them off! I'm super stoked I found this because i was going to pass on it but since I'm a sucker for primers in general I got it. Really glad I did for me it's a 5 lippie product because it lasts,doesn't crease,brightens colour,holds shadow for hours, and doesn't irritate my skin. What more could a girl ask for:)
Highly Recommended!