July 22, 2014 | 1052 users online

Eye Primer - TheBalm - Put a Lid On It

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2014 6:11:00 AM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Sadly, didn't work for me. I usually use Shadow Insurance, but picked this up as a replacement when I was in Rexall. It doesn't irritate my eyes, but didn't seem to help shadow last longer at all. I tried different methods, like waiting until dry, applying when still tacky with no luck. My eyeshadow always creased or disappeared by the end of the day. Not only that, my lids felt greasy halfway through the day and a dark crease line often appeared. Back to Too Faced!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2014 3:57:00 PM More reviews by Empyrean_Luminary

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm on my second tube of this. It's a silky, smooth, non-drying eye primer with cute packaging and a very effective product! May not work for oily lids because it is pretty silky. I love it for my dry lids and it keeps shadow in place all day. UDPP was too thick, drying, and "cakey" on my eyes, but this is perfect. If you get it during one of TheBalm's flash sales for 50% off it is definitely worth stocking up.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by janelee123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of those eyelid primers you should try out if you have dry eyelids or non-oily eyelids. You can buy this from Birchbox online or from Amazon Prime for $15 so it's a good buy. It's definitely very moisturizing and velvety like the product says and comes out a yellowish color that blends to clear. Your powdery eyeshadows will stay put once you use this but the more creamy eyeshadows or cream eyeliners will probably smudge or diffuse out because this product can be so moisturizing. I usually wear eyeshadow and then eyeliner and while my eyeshadow stays put and vibrant, my eyeliner disappears within a few hours. It's probably great for more glittery or pigment eyeshadows though. Didn't break out my sensitive skin either.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:26:00 AM More reviews by missrosewood20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I want to start by mentioning that I have dry eyelids. It is to the point I have to apply eye cream to my eyelids.

But here is the thing if I don't apply eye cream and just put eyeshadow on, after about 2 hours, my shadows flakes off due to dryness, as if there is nothing to cling to on my lids.

If I apply eye cream before putting eyeshadow then it just slides off. So you see my dilemma.

But with this product what I do is, I apply my eye cream then the primer, then I let the primer dry for about a minute as it says on the packaging. After this I do my eye look. (Which is usually a light pink or a bronze color all over the lid, then a soft brown color in the crease, black liquid eyeliner with a wing and lots of mascara.)

The results are ... unbelievable. Firstly, the colors look more vibrant. Then the shadows stay put for hours and I mean I do my makeup at 7:30 am and take it off between 5:00-6:00 pm.

As you see I love the product and when I bought it, it was on sale (%50 off) at my local drugstore. Which was another bonus. When it is not on sale it might be much to some. (At least it is to me.) As for the packaging I love that it is in a tube and not a pot which keeps the product more sanitary although I would love to be able to see how much product I have left in it. So I can get another one when it goes on sale again.

I would recommend it to anyone which has the same problem I have but I can't say anything with someone who has oily eyelids.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by brunosbabysquirrel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is amazing! I'm very much into black jumbo pencils and I love smudging them out but eventually the problem that I would have with those sort of pencils is they smudge like crazyyy. Put a lid on it stopped that. It's great, but probably not the best as my eyeshadow seems to disappear throughout the day. So yeahh but I would totes buy that again:)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by AimeeNicole91

This works good for keeping my eyeshadow on all day long. It's a little bit more oily than other primers I have tried, which is why I still prefer the urban decay primer, however this one is less expensive and still works good. I would keep repurchasing!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hate to rain on this product's parade, but this primer doesn't work at all for me.

I have oily lids so reduced creasing and increased longevity/color vibrancy are important to me with an eye primer. I was really excited to try this after seeing good reviews online, but unfortunately I found that this doesn't improve the pigmentation & vibrancy of eye shadows, I still get creasing and my eyeshadows faded very quickly.

The product itself is a gel, very 'wet' feeling at first but dries down to a matte finish after 30 seconds or so. It's peach colored but when applied it turns transparent so it doesn't blank out the lid. I would imagine someone with drier lids might like this as the finish isn't drying but provides a nice matte base.

Overall, I much prefer UDPP or even MAC Pro Longwear concealer which performs better for me. I will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2014 8:16:00 PM More reviews by nunyabiness

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Meh

I bought this because it was the best reviewed lid primer on MUA.

I was disappointed.

I expected it to be wonderful, but it was average. Much of my eye shadow wore off during the day, and I was left with a thin line of dark shadow immediately above the crease...and my eyelids are not greasy.

average

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by lozzie88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love love love this it's the only thing that stops my eyelids getting oily, and it keeps my eyeshadow looking perfect from the start until I'm ready to wash it off. So much better (and cheaper) than UD primer potion and TF shadow insurance. A must buy! A little goes a long way so it'll last you a long time

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by carlablack

Here's another 5 stars to this one! :)
It comes in a convenient squeeze tube, smooth application, a little goes a long way, makes shadows last forever and great price! There's not a single thing i would change. I'm never gonna pay an arm and a leg for NARS's primer again!