November 27, 2014 | 1562 users online

rated 4.0(1 review)

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by jmp24

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

NYC has to win the award for Worst Packaging Ever when it comes to these Sparkle Eye Dust shadows. But what the heck - it was a new color, and RiteAid had 40% off on NYC, and I am always on the search for that perfect purple shade....so I figured I'd try it.

First off, the other two Eye Dust shadows I own are VERY sparkly. This one is not. Slight shimmer, but that's about it. Application and staying power are fine with primer. Messy, but that's a given with loose shadows. I really like the color - it's not really a smokey purple, but it's not too vibrant either. Not dark, but not light. Somewhere in between. I have brownish eyes that can look hazel greenish at times, so these shades work well for me.

As of yet, I have only worn it at night - and it makes a really nice smokey eye look. I put it over a nude shimmer base color, up to the crease, and all along the lower lashes, and blended really well. I think it could be worn for day too, though with a lighter hand for us "older" chicks. I break the rules all the time about what should be left to the younger girls, but I do stay away from overly bright colors, especially in the daytime..though I am not ready to throw in the towel and fade into matte neutral oblivion yet!

So if you see this, and you like the purple shades, pick it up. It's not expensive, quality is decent with primer, and it really is a pretty, not too in-your-face color. I am not sure about buying it again, considering all the choices out there, the lousy packaging, and the fact that these Sparkle Dust shadows contain a TON of product. I depotted one of them once, and I could not believe how much was in it, and this was after I had been using it already for half a year.