April 18, 2014 | 1966 users online

Brows - NYX - Auto Eyebrow Pencil - Charcoal EP07

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I'm happy to see more brands making some cooler-toned options for dark hair. I have black eyebrows and almost every dark brown pencil makes me look ridiculous and like I have reddish brown streaks behind my brows, and it's even worse in natural light, while black brow pencils look harsh. Black/very dark brown brows look best when the pencil used has a cool under tone to it, ash, taupe or greyish blacks and browns are best - to me anyway, and look most natural.

I've been using Missha, Etude House and Skinfood for my brow pencils (mostly in grey brown and they are great!) but saw this at Ulta a month or so ago and decided to try it out being the product junkie that I am. I'm actually impressed, it's pigmented but somewhat stiff, not waxy or crumbly and is easy to apply. I use a light hand, and this pencil is angled- very similar to Missha's - so you can draw tiny strokes and get finer looking lines or fill in larger areas by changing the angle. I also like that it's a bit dry, has a matte finish and lasts all day. I like the brush on the end, very convenient should you need to touch-up on the go. I haven't had any issues with the pencil itself, the twist-up works perfectly and cap stays on even when it's floating around in my purse.

I would repurchase this and recommend the charcoal colour to anyone with black brows.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by ochactopus

this is my first eyebrow pencil I bought from nyx and I think its alright. its more pigmented than most eyebrow pencils so you have to be quite careful.. its creamy than other pencils which is a good feature. be careful when wearing this under yellower lights (bathroom, mall, photoshoots, etc) because it will look too dark. the color range is alright but it has too much of a red tone in the brown so if you are Asian like me, use a light hand when applying. overall its a great product for beginners and also a great price. I also find that the "brush" is pretty useless.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2013 3:31:00 PM More reviews by kneena88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have naturally med/dark brown Caucasian hair and fair skin. All brown pencils look orange or red on me. Gray looks much more natural. I wish it had a touch of brown, and I can't wear it full strength, or its too dark, so I just run the brush through and then dab my brows with my palms a few times. I like EDM gray brow powder, because it is more like a very cool brown, but it takes a bit more work because you have to order it online and, then I like to press it, and use a brush to apply it.

edit:
Went to repurchase EDM gray brow, and they don't even sell it anymore. Guess I'm sticking with NYX, and saving the rest of my EDM for special occasion..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

It seems as though I've unfortunately been spoiled by the wonders of Maybelline's Define-A-Brow (who's shades seem to be rapidly disappearing left and right through discontinuation) and I'm not sure that I'll ever be quite as satisfied with another automatic eyebrow pencil. Nyx's Auto Eyebrow Pencil is certainly a step in the right direction shade-wise, though the pencil mechanism itself leads much to desire.
Because my brows are quite thick, I still very much prefer the thinner point of pencil's like Define-A-Brow that make it exceptionally easy to make fine, hair-like strokes. Nyx's Auto Eyebrow Pencil isn't fat by any means, but it is rather wide and does distribute product quickly in a very broad area. This is great for gals that prefer "soft brows" that are quite natural and effortless as well as those who definitely have brows that are a little more on the sparser side. For me though, it's a little too easy to create brows that are a tad furry. Because this pencil is quite waxy, it seems to require a lot of blending with a brush to keep it from making my brows look flat, dull and clumped together. Of course, as others have stated, the brush provided on the end of the pencil is pretty useless and much too flimsy to do the blending needed.
The one redeeming feature of Nyx's Auto Eyebrow Pencil in Charcoal definitely has to be it's color. For those with black hair and dark cool-toned eyebrows, greys like this one are EXCELLENT. They are so much less harsh than blacks can be for me, as well as much more versatile. They can be a bit more gentle and toned down for day wear but also built up and more dramatic for night time. What more could a raven-haired girl want, right?
I think it's excellent that Nyx included a shade like this one in it's selection. Greys are quite hard to find and even harder if you only like automatic pencils like I do. If you're considering trying out one just to see if shades like this work for you, Nyx's Auto Eyebrow Pencil in Charcoal might be a great one to sample. As for me, well...I'm still on the hunt for my HG eyebrow pencil.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2013 10:14:00 PM More reviews by jc2729

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great eyebrow pencil for those with black hair and sparse brows. It looks really natural and is easy to use. I would have preferred a spooly instead of the brush that it comes with, I find the brush just takes off the product I just put on. I have oily skin and I still find that this pencil lasts all day, and I work 10-12 hour days. All in all a great brow pencil for a really affordable price and I will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2012 4:00:00 PM More reviews by pbal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my first eyebrow pencil, I just started filling in my brows after a threading disaster. I wasn't sure what colour to use since my brows are black. So I chose this cause I thought it wouldn't be as harsh. Definitely have to use a light hand otherwise the brows are way too dark. It didn't last me very long, about one or two months. Partially because the pencil broke! The automatic twist-thing is horrible, it broke the pencil bit. I didn't use the brush at the end, it was irritating, but I didn't really need it anyways. I'm not going to buy this again, I think I'll try the cake powder instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2012 10:20:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE: it didn't take long before I taught myself to use this :) BTW: the colour of this is very much like Copperplate by MAC, so I'll include a picture of that in the picture section of this.
I wish they had this, just a few shades lighter, so I wouldn't need to be so careful with it. The colour itself is actually perfect (I would just like it a tiny bit lighter - not that I really need it) - it matches both my brow colour - black, very light olive skin tone and dark brown hair. This looks absolutely natural - grey colour work as a shadow, making your brows darker without changing the colour much. It stays on well throughout the day, but I don't think it's a good solution if you need something waterproof. Very good hardness - not too soft, but definitely not too hard (some very hard pencils tend to drag out my eyebrow hairs).
I actually have used a powder for my eyebrows, which seemed like the most natural alternative to me, but this actually looks better than powder imo. The brush is soft, so it's a bit hard to actually brush your brows with it, but it's also not scratchy and can be easily used to erase a mistake you've done with the pencil. The brush can also be taken off and replaced with the same type of cap as on the pencil.
I don't know what to say, really... if you have cool toned eyebrows, this should work for you! :)
I also have this pencil in taupe, but it's a warm brown colour that may rather be more suitable for redheads. I bought it, although the cap actually shows the correct colour, because it didn't look so warm in pictures on the net, but it's actually the same colour as the cap.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2012 11:55:00 AM More reviews by blackhound

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was using Bobbi Brown eyebrow pencil in Gray (which is a cool taupe) but the BB pencil is too expensive for the poor quality of manufacturing. (The pencil can't be sharpened at all.)

If I use a light hand this is a great choice for me. I like the point and ease of use.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 6:05:00 PM More reviews by colchester

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wish they had a more taupe color, but the charcoal is good. Retractable creamy pencil with a brush to even it out, the charcoal is a little dramatic but still somewhat natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2012 6:30:00 PM More reviews by maidenofstarfire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've bought two of these already. I love the color. It's a dark, ashy color. It doesn't make me look like an old lady with gray brows, just a nice off black color that isn't so harsh and blends nicely since I draw a little above my brow hairs to create a thicker brow. The brush at the end allows for all of the product to blend into the brows. The only con is that it does not contain as much product as I would like, but since it is cheap, I can't fault it too hard.

My brows last with this product followed by the NYX brow powder in Ash. Great combination. This pencil is not sharp, it's a bit thick, but I prefer it because it fills in the brows quickly with color in the shape that I want without looking too fake. Love this! Will get another color in this same product when I dye my hair!