December 20, 2014 | 1536 users online

Moisturizers - Coastal Scents - Raw Virgin Coconut Oil

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2014 9:03:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil- I don't like you at all! I tried you in many ways and from so many brands but we just don't have a good relationship! In fact, I hate you.
As a cleanser- tried it once and it was enough- horrible; gave me cysts, pimples and clogged pores. It is very greasy and needed a lot of facial wash to clean it off which is bad for my dry skin around my eyes.

Eyes massage- from time to time I like to massage my eyes area with an oil (and then wipe it off) and when I tried with coconut oil it irritated my skin as in small red dots and patches under my eyes. Also left a an oily ''veil'' on my eyes.

Hair- in many ways: on wet hair, dry hair, just on scalp, scalp+hair, after washing, before washing, under shower cap + towel, for fly aways etc etc but I just never had the nice, shiny, easy to detangle hair that other reviewers have. It is too greasy for my hair, left it greasy even after washing and needed a lot of shampoo to wash it off. It was oily the next day.
For me Castor oil is better.
Coconut oil always made my hair tangled but I never have the above mentioned issues with Castor oil.

Body- it would never sink in, even in small quantity and massaged well. Would rub on clothes. I didn't like the greasy feeling on my body and the fact that my T-Shirts would be dirty because of this oil.

Oil pulling- I have seen some whitening but then honestly I got tired of the taste. Now I use Sesame oil which is much better than the coconut oil because I can feel a difference in my gums.

I also ate coconut oil for some weeks, a tsp every morning. After a while I noticed stomach ache and realised it was from this oil.

No, not for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really enjoy the effects of this product. Makes my hair feel great when used as a pretreatment before washing or using a tiny bit on dry hair to smooth out frizz. Great for super dry skin or as regular moisturizer. Takes a little longer than a typical lotion to set in, but the results are worth it.

It does smell a little earthy, as there's no added fragrance. I'm sure if you added a little essential oil to the softened oil, it would deal with the scent. I don't mind it as is though, as I usually wear perfume or body spray, and it gets rid of any lingering smell from the oil.

The only negative of the this product, for me, is the packaging. The oil is a soft solid at room temperature, and a harder solid at cooler temperatures, so packaging it in a bottle was not the best choice. I put my entire bottle in a pot of warm water to melt it, and poured it into a tub to make it easier to access. Other than this, I really like the product and would buy it again. Though you get so much and need to use so little, one bottle is going to last me quite a long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by BCbabe

Not to be confused with regular (and edible) virgin coconut oil, or the fractionated version. (I love and use all 3 forms). This here is in a more raw, unrefined state. The scent is not that sweet coconut scent you might expect. It's much more earthy, so be warned, (though my husband can always smell the coconut when I use it...) but it's benefits are worth it. No heat or chemicals are used in it's extraction so it's very pure and natural. It also has a very long shelf life. According to the website: " Its main components are: lauric acid, myristic acid, coprylic acid, palmitic acid, oleic and linoleic acids.

Raw Virgin Coconut Oil can be applied to skin and hair directly to protect from sun and wind damage.

Raw Virgin Coconut Oil is high in natural antioxidants and protects skin from damaging free-radicals. It also helps keep skin firm and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

Raw Virgin Coconut Oil can help heal and repair the skin and make the skin smoother and more evenly textured by removing the outer layer of dead skin cells."

The packaging can be a bit of a bother, seeing as the product is in a soft-ish solid state. The cap of the bottle has such a tiny hole that had some problem getting it out of the bottle. I removed the lid and squeezed it into an empty body butter jar. (To get the remainder out I can simply put the bottle in a bowl of hot water to liquify it). It pretty much melts on contact with your skin. I found it might be a bit 'lumpy', not that there were lumps in it, but I guess parts melted faster than other, but once it's smoothed onto your skin, the lumps just melt and disappear. I like to use this at night and my skin seems more even toned and the oil more normalized. I seem to get less oil breakthrough during the day. I also like to run about a tsp. through the ends of my hair the night before I wash it, for added conditioning. It's also an awesome body moisturizer as well, especially on your legs right after shaving. It makes your legs so smooth! It's really multi-purpose and I love that it's so natural. It's found in the "Project Ghana" section of Coastal Scents and to be honest, I bought it and wasn't quite sure how to use it, so it sat in my closet for months before I tried it out and not I can't live without it.