Makeup Geek Eyeshadow (All)

Ingredients: Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyisobutene May Contain: Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Polyethylene, PTFE, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Lauroyl Lysine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Methicone, Dimethicone, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77289, Ultramarines CI 77007, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Manganese Violet CI 77742dc Black No. 2 CI 77266, C13-16 Isoparaffin, C12-C14 Isoparaffin, C13-C15 Alkane, Carmine CI 75470, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Red 6 Lake CI 15850, Tin Oxide, Zinc Stearate

on 2/26/2015 12:49:00 AM

Overall, these are very high quality shadows. Very creamy and blend really well. They are definitely better with the primer. They are long-wearing and do not crease - again, with the primer. The shades are very pretty, and many are very close MAC dupes. I also like the fact that they come in a pan and you can put them in your own palettes. There is a decent color variety.

on 2/23/2015 11:15:00 PM

Yeah these are very soft, buttery and blendable. In fact they are too blendable. When I applied cosmopolitan on my lid I changed out to a crease brush and applied my crease color (MAC wedge). After I was done with my crease the MUG eyeshadow on my lid has partly faded/blended away and I barely touched it with the crease brush. I never put eyeshadow without priming my lids. I tried both UDPP and MAC Paint Pot in Painterly under it and the results were the same. I'd still keep it as they are pretty colors but I'm going to stick to MAC e/s.

on 2/21/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

so my niece ordered a few of them and we tried, IMO they are really hard to blend and dont last.....

on 10/26/2014 8:57:00 PM

So I finally decided to try out some of these MUG shadows after hearing so many ppl rave about them on youtube. I bought these eyes shadows in: Prom night, twilight, homecoming, latte, cosmopolitan,corrupt and unexpected. All these shadows are super pigmented and blend super easily (which can become muddy very easily if you blend too much). The shadow i was so impressed by was "corrupt". It's an intensely dark black color. And let me tell you, it really is like INK BLACK!! All the other shadows were beautiful as well. They applied very well and were super silky. They lasted all day and night on me without any fading!!

The only downside to these eyeshadows is that while they do fit in the MAC pro palettes, they are NOT magnetized. I was pretty disappointed since all MAC shadow pans come with the magnetic backing and seeing as how these MUG shadows are constantly being compared to MAC...one would think they would be magnetized as well.

on 9/26/2014 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I'm not taking away stars from these eyeshadows for the lack of variety, because starting a company is really darn difficult and Makeup Geek actually has a ton of options if you take that into consideration.
I really regret not having bought these shadows years ago. They are fantastic! Of course they are not as cheap as Coastal Scents, but they are way better than most CS hot pots.
I bought these in Unexpected, Stealth and Shimma Shimma.
The pigmentation is fantastic. The mattes are better than Inglot, more blendable than MAC and probably as good as Urban Decay (plus, the easiness of not having to depot them). Shimma Shimma is better than MAC's Shroom in every single way.
I feel like, even though CS is cheap, you never know what you're getting and pigmentation is workable, but not fantastic. Some shadows are really dry. I haven't felt that with Makeup Geek, and have not have problems with powdery fall out, even though these are super buttery. I dread fall out, since I like to have my face done before my eyes.
Also, CS charges at least $7 for shipping! That makes your eyeshadows much more expensive than their pan price. MUG charges fair $2.

For $6 they are completely worth it. I will stop buying high-end MAC and Urban Decay whenever I can find a dupe in MUG.

on 9/23/2014 4:32:00 PM

These are pretty but there aren't very many shades and the fact that the shades arent very unique makes the price tag not worth it. Okay--$6 per eyeshadow, that's almost $20 for just 3 tiny eyeshadow pans! For me, that's still really expensive. The shadow better be really unique and high quality for me to pay that price.Unforutnately these shadows fade quickly after a couple hours and are surprisingly diffficult to blend and chalky.

Coastal scents hot pots are only $2 and are way more blendable, pigmented, creamy, and buttery--not to mention there are like 200 more shades.
MUG needs to lower their prices, OR up their quality/shades.

on 8/30/2014 9:58:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

If you're interested in purchasing MUG eyeshadows, then beware! Once you try them, you will be gripped by an unceasing urge to purchase more, and more, until you have an entire large Z-Palette worth of eyeshadows! I'm definitely speaking from personal experience, I bought 4 out of curiousity, and now I have over 20 eyeshadows. I love them! Most of the shades are everything you want in an eyeshadow; highly pigmented, excellent colour payoff on the lid, buttery soft and a dream to apply and blend. I've included several swatch photos here (including dupes!)... most of the swatches are with just ONE swipe!

I would really love to see some more unique shades, maybe some more variations of green and blue and a few cool-toned matte neutrals along the lines of MAC's Omega, Copperplate and Coquette... you can never have too many neutrals!

My favourites;

Creme Brulee - One of my most beloved everyday staples! It's the most gorgeous, warm brown with sand undertones. The most perfect transition colour and one that defines the crease wonderfully well. The pigmentation, application and blendability are all outstanding; this shade is a complete workhorse! You can use this shade in the crease to tone down any bright colour on the eyelid. Since buying this, I haven't used my MAC Cork or Wedge eyeshadows once. Lots of reviewers have stated it's the dupe to MAC's infamous Soft Brown, which I have never bought, and because I own this, I don't think I ever will.

Shimma Shimma - A beautiful cool-toned shimmery champagne with gold undertones. Incredibly similar to MAC Nylon, and apparently the perfect dupe of MAC Shroom (never owned Shroom). I love using this in my inner corners to make me look more awake. It works with browns, golds, greens, basically any colour you can think of.

Pretentious - The dupe to Urban Decay's Smog! Put both eyeshadows side by side and there is absolutely no difference, except the cheaper price tag! This eyeshadow is a chocolate brown with slight gold undertones. It just glides buttery soft onto my eyelids. One of my most used out of all them MUG eyeshadows I own.

Homecoming - Another dupe alert, this time for Urban Decay's Sidecar, without the god-awful glittery fallout! Thankfully this shade has no chunky glitter, and applies incredibly well onto the eyelid. It's a lighter brown than Pretentious, with more gold shimmer to it. Another everyday staple brown for me.

Preppy - Now this to me is a very unique shade, due to the fact it's a matte brown with mustard-khaki undertones to it. On my NC20-25 skintone, it leans almost olive-brown, which lends itself very nicely to green eyeshadows, applying depth and definition to the crease area.

Peach Smoothie - Another beloved staple! A matte soft peach, I use everyday in the crease area just before I go back in with my transition shade; it helps to blend the transition shade better to achieve that blown-out smokey eye look with no harsh edges.

Poison Ivy - A beautiful shimmery ivy green with terrific pigmentation. I adore green eyeshadows so this was a must-have purchase for me. It's somewhere in between MAC's Greensmoke and Sumptuous Olive, although not as olive as the latter. It also works very well in the crease with darker greens, like MAC Humid to pull the whole look together.

Shimmermint - Now this shade is quite sheer, and whenever I use it, I have to build it up several times to reach full opacity. However, I don't mind making the extra effort because I love the mint-green colour of it. One of my favourite ways to wear it is as a subtle, but noticeable pop of colour on the lower lashline. It adds just enough interest without being too dramatic.

Corrupt - I've already given this a full review, but to summarise, it's the blackest eyeshadow I have ever used. MAC Carbon and Black Tied along with Urban Decay Blackout cannot compare with the rich intensity and darkness that Corrupt. All of you need is the lightest dip in the pan with your brush to provide enough eyeshadow for both eyes. The only downside is that it does have fallout, so whenever I use it, I always do my eye makeup first, then move onto to my face makeup.

Purely Naked - Such a lovely, understated light brown with slight shimmer. It works well in the crease as a transition shade and also on the eyelids. It's actually one of the lightest browns I own, great for creating a barely there smokey eye as it provides light definition.

Unexpected - I have searched for a matte purple-brown like this for such a long time! Urban Decay's Tease compared to this is more brown, whereas on my eyes, this shade is definitely purple. I love using it in my crease to provide depth to purple shades on my eyelid. Great pigmentation and blendability, and more on the cooler side of purple.

Moondust - This is not, as some other reviews have stated, the dupe to MAC Patina. Patina leans far more gold, whereas Moondust is an interesting cool-toned mix of silver and taupe. This shade is very unique, and like Patina, provides a multi-faceted dimension on the lids in that it looks like you're wearing multiple colours instead of just one eyeshadow.

Are they comparable to MAC and other higher-end eyeshadows? In my honest opinion, I truly think that most of them, in particular the mattes, are on par with brands like MAC, NARS and Urban Decay. The metallic and shimmery shades are just as good, if not even better than MAC's 'Veluxe Pearl' eyeshadows!

Yes, a few of them are a little dusty and some do need to be layered a couple of times to reach maximum opacity, but that doesn't affect their performance once applied on the eyelid. All brands have a couple of eyeshadows in their collection that are mediocre in regards to their pigmentation, (I could sit and write a huge list of my expensive disappointments!) so this criticism can't be levied solely to MUG eyeshadows. When it comes to MUG, low prices do not translate to low quality, inferior products!

on 8/7/2014 11:43:00 PM

I would love to like these eyeshadows. I enjoy watching Marlena's tutorials and like her personality, but unfortunately I am very disappointed with the quality of eyeshadows. The colors are beautiful, but in 4 hours they just fade. And I use a good primer. At the end of the day you won’t see them on my eyelids. I doubt that the quality is compared to Mac, because Mac eyeshadows have a good staying power. The worst MUG eyeshadows are probably matte ones. They are like chalk. I will not repurchase unless they change the formula.

on 7/9/2014 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love makeup geek eyeshadows they are creamy and very pigmented and last. The price is very good and the colors are beautiful. What else can you ask from and eyeshadow?

on 7/5/2014 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The shadows are very similar to MAC and almost the same price as MAC. The only drawback is that they fade and lack staying power. They lack the same return policy that MAC does, so it seems I will be sticking with MAC until then. No thanks Makeup Geek. I will not purchase.