October 2, 2014 | 998 users online

Eye Shadow - Makeup Geek - Eyeshadow (All)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by aylla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm not taking away stars from these eyeshadows for the lack of variety, because starting a company is really darn difficult and Makeup Geek actually has a ton of options if you take that into consideration.
I really regret not having bought these shadows years ago. They are fantastic! Of course they are not as cheap as Coastal Scents, but they are way better than most CS hot pots.
I bought these in Unexpected, Stealth and Shimma Shimma.
The pigmentation is fantastic. The mattes are better than Inglot, more blendable than MAC and probably as good as Urban Decay (plus, the easiness of not having to depot them). Shimma Shimma is better than MAC's Shroom in every single way.
I feel like, even though CS is cheap, you never know what you're getting and pigmentation is workable, but not fantastic. Some shadows are really dry. I haven't felt that with Makeup Geek, and have not have problems with powdery fall out, even though these are super buttery. I dread fall out, since I like to have my face done before my eyes.
Also, CS charges at least $7 for shipping! That makes your eyeshadows much more expensive than their pan price. MUG charges fair $2.

For $6 they are completely worth it. I will stop buying high-end MAC and Urban Decay whenever I can find a dupe in MUG.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by ellablue123

These are pretty but there aren't very many shades and the fact that the shades arent very unique makes the price tag not worth it. Okay--$6 per eyeshadow, that's almost $20 for just 3 tiny eyeshadow pans! For me, that's still really expensive. The shadow better be really unique and high quality for me to pay that price.Unforutnately these shadows fade quickly after a couple hours and are surprisingly diffficult to blend and chalky.

Coastal scents hot pots are only $2 and are way more blendable, pigmented, creamy, and buttery--not to mention there are like 200 more shades.
MUG needs to lower their prices, OR up their quality/shades.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

If you're interested in purchasing MUG eyeshadows, then beware! Once you try them, you will be gripped by an unceasing urge to purchase more, and more, until you have an entire large Z-Palette worth of eyeshadows! I'm definitely speaking from personal experience, I bought 4 out of curiousity, and now I have over 20 eyeshadows. I love them! Most of the shades are everything you want in an eyeshadow; highly pigmented, excellent colour payoff on the lid, buttery soft and a dream to apply and blend. I've included several swatch photos here (including dupes!)... most of the swatches are with just ONE swipe!

I would really love to see some more unique shades, maybe some more variations of green and blue and a few cool-toned matte neutrals along the lines of MAC's Omega, Copperplate and Coquette... you can never have too many neutrals!

My favourites;

Creme Brulee - One of my most beloved everyday staples! It's the most gorgeous, warm brown with sand undertones. The most perfect transition colour and one that defines the crease wonderfully well. The pigmentation, application and blendability are all outstanding; this shade is a complete workhorse! You can use this shade in the crease to tone down any bright colour on the eyelid. Since buying this, I haven't used my MAC Cork or Wedge eyeshadows once. Lots of reviewers have stated it's the dupe to MAC's infamous Soft Brown, which I have never bought, and because I own this, I don't think I ever will.

Shimma Shimma - A beautiful cool-toned shimmery champagne with gold undertones. Incredibly similar to MAC Nylon, and apparently the perfect dupe of MAC Shroom (never owned Shroom). I love using this in my inner corners to make me look more awake. It works with browns, golds, greens, basically any colour you can think of.

Pretentious - The dupe to Urban Decay's Smog! Put both eyeshadows side by side and there is absolutely no difference, except the cheaper price tag! This eyeshadow is a chocolate brown with slight gold undertones. It just glides buttery soft onto my eyelids. One of my most used out of all them MUG eyeshadows I own.

Homecoming - Another dupe alert, this time for Urban Decay's Sidecar, without the god-awful glittery fallout! Thankfully this shade has no chunky glitter, and applies incredibly well onto the eyelid. It's a lighter brown than Pretentious, with more gold shimmer to it. Another everyday staple brown for me.

Preppy - Now this to me is a very unique shade, due to the fact it's a matte brown with mustard-khaki undertones to it. On my NC20-25 skintone, it leans almost olive-brown, which lends itself very nicely to green eyeshadows, applying depth and definition to the crease area.

Peach Smoothie - Another beloved staple! A matte soft peach, I use everyday in the crease area just before I go back in with my transition shade; it helps to blend the transition shade better to achieve that blown-out smokey eye look with no harsh edges.

Poison Ivy - A beautiful shimmery ivy green with terrific pigmentation. I adore green eyeshadows so this was a must-have purchase for me. It's somewhere in between MAC's Greensmoke and Sumptuous Olive, although not as olive as the latter. It also works very well in the crease with darker greens, like MAC Humid to pull the whole look together.

Shimmermint - Now this shade is quite sheer, and whenever I use it, I have to build it up several times to reach full opacity. However, I don't mind making the extra effort because I love the mint-green colour of it. One of my favourite ways to wear it is as a subtle, but noticeable pop of colour on the lower lashline. It adds just enough interest without being too dramatic.

Corrupt - I've already given this a full review, but to summarise, it's the blackest eyeshadow I have ever used. MAC Carbon and Black Tied along with Urban Decay Blackout cannot compare with the rich intensity and darkness that Corrupt. All of you need is the lightest dip in the pan with your brush to provide enough eyeshadow for both eyes. The only downside is that it does have fallout, so whenever I use it, I always do my eye makeup first, then move onto to my face makeup.

Purely Naked - Such a lovely, understated light brown with slight shimmer. It works well in the crease as a transition shade and also on the eyelids. It's actually one of the lightest browns I own, great for creating a barely there smokey eye as it provides light definition.

Unexpected - I have searched for a matte purple-brown like this for such a long time! Urban Decay's Tease compared to this is more brown, whereas on my eyes, this shade is definitely purple. I love using it in my crease to provide depth to purple shades on my eyelid. Great pigmentation and blendability, and more on the cooler side of purple.

Moondust - This is not, as some other reviews have stated, the dupe to MAC Patina. Patina leans far more gold, whereas Moondust is an interesting cool-toned mix of silver and taupe. This shade is very unique, and like Patina, provides a multi-faceted dimension on the lids in that it looks like you're wearing multiple colours instead of just one eyeshadow.

Are they comparable to MAC and other higher-end eyeshadows? In my honest opinion, I truly think that most of them, in particular the mattes, are on par with brands like MAC, NARS and Urban Decay. The metallic and shimmery shades are just as good, if not even better than MAC's 'Veluxe Pearl' eyeshadows!

Yes, a few of them are a little dusty and some do need to be layered a couple of times to reach maximum opacity, but that doesn't affect their performance once applied on the eyelid. All brands have a couple of eyeshadows in their collection that are mediocre in regards to their pigmentation, (I could sit and write a huge list of my expensive disappointments!) so this criticism can't be levied solely to MUG eyeshadows. When it comes to MUG, low prices do not translate to low quality, inferior products!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

OKAY CLASS SIT DOWN AND LISTEN CUZ IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU GOT A LESSON ON MAKEUP GEEK.

THESE EYESHADOWS ARE THE BOM.COM AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU CAN DO EVERYONE ELSE A FAVOR AND GET OUT RIGHT NOW.

YOU SEE KIDS, MS. MARLENE, A.K.A. MAMA MAKEUPGEEK DECIDED THAT WE NEEDED HIGH END MAKEUP PRODUCTS AT DRUGSTORE PRICES, SO SHE PUT HER LIFE AND SOUL INTO THIS BRAND RIGHT HERE, JUST SO WE COULD LOOK FABULOUS AND STILL PAY THE BILLS. SHE DOESN'T ADVERTISE, OR SPEND MONEY ON PACKAGING, SO WE CAN HAVE THE BEST QUALITY, AND I THINK THAT'S PRETTY FREAKIN' SWEET. SHE EVEN SELLS Z PALETTES RIGHT ON HER WEBSITE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BROWSE THE WORLDWIDE WEB LOOKING FOR THE DUMB THINGS. DON'T LET MARLENE'S SWEET FRONT FOOL YOU, SHE IS A BOSS BUSINESS WOMAN AND SHE DESERVES UTMOST RESPECT. BOW DOWN LADIES.

NOT ONLY ARE THEY SUPER AFFORDABLE, THE QUEEN HERSELF JACLYN HILL HAS CLAIMED THEY ARE BETTER THAN MAC, AND IF YOU DARE DISAGREE WITH HER YOU CAN JUST SIT DOWN.

THESE SHADOWS ARE LIKE BUTTER IN A PAN, THE PIGMENTATION ALONE WILL MAKE GROWN MEN CRY, AND THE PRICE WILL MAKE THE SAME GROWN MEN REJOICE, AS THEIR PAYCHECKS WILL NO LONGER BE SPENT ON THEIR SWEETIES EXPENSIVE MAKEUP.

THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE MUG SHADOW THAT DOES NOT DESERVE A SPOT IN YOUR MAKEUP COLLECTION. NOW LET'S GET TO THE BREAKDOWN OF MY FAVORITE EYESHADOWS, SHALL WE?

PEACH SMOOTHIE- LOOKS JUST AS GOOD AS IT SOUNDS. THE MOTHER OF ALL TRANSITION SHADES.

SIMPLY MARLENE- NAMED AFTER THE QUEEN HERSELF. BEAUTIFUL MATTE PINK WITH FLECKS OF GOLD SO YOU CAN FEEL LIKE ROYALTY.

CORRUPT- MOTHER OF GOD THIS SHADE IS AS BLACK AS MY SOUL. LORD HELP ME.

MERMAID- THE NAME SAYS IT ALL, THIS IS THE SHADE MERMAIDS ACROSS THE GLOBE CAN BE CAUGHT WEARING. SAY WHAT YOU WANT, YOU CAN'T PROVE I'M WRONG.

IF YOU DON'T OWN ANY MUG SHADOWS, YOU BETTER GO BUY SOME RIGHT NOW. YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO GET UP FROM YOUR COMPUTER, JUST TAKE THAT MOUSE, CLICK A NEW TAB, AND GO TO MAKEUPGEEK.COM.

CLASS DISMISSED.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/7/2014 11:43:00 PM More reviews by adel78

I would love to like these eyeshadows. I enjoy watching Marlena's tutorials and like her personality, but unfortunately I am very disappointed with the quality of eyeshadows. The colors are beautiful, but in 4 hours they just fade. And I use a good primer. At the end of the day you won’t see them on my eyelids. I doubt that the quality is compared to Mac, because Mac eyeshadows have a good staying power. The worst MUG eyeshadows are probably matte ones. They are like chalk. I will not repurchase unless they change the formula.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 3:14:00 PM More reviews by matty6

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love makeup geek eyeshadows they are creamy and very pigmented and last. The price is very good and the colors are beautiful. What else can you ask from and eyeshadow?

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The shadows are very similar to MAC and almost the same price as MAC. The only drawback is that they fade and lack staying power. They lack the same return policy that MAC does, so it seems I will be sticking with MAC until then. No thanks Makeup Geek. I will not purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2014 8:05:00 PM More reviews by OCgirl006

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My 17 year old niec came over with a few of the eye shadow's and I swatched them at first they seemed ok, but when I put one on my eye it was hard to blend and after 2 hours it was gone...
this brand my be good for young girls just starting out with makeup.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by realhappy

Oh dear, I think I am the only person not to be in love with these. I agree that many of the colors are richly pigmented (cosmopolitan, homecoming, taupe notch, latte, creme brulee), but I feel there is a balance between buttery soft blendability and long lasting adherance. In the case of these shadows my complaint isn't that the look doesn't turn out well when you create it, but that it fades really quickly. Also, because the shadows are so creamy and blendable, you have to be careful in your blending technique or the look can get muddy very quickly. But my biggest complaint is not with the shadows but the return policy. If your order is messed up they will fix it, but they do not take returns. So if for say, you happen to be in the minority and are less than impressed or they just aren't your colors, they do not take returns. MAC will always take a return and for this reason I will stick with them in the future. Sorry to be less than glowing, these are my honest opinions of my first and only order. I was truly excited for this order and based upon everything I'd read had full expectations of HG-land. But in my opinion they are average, there I've said it. :)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by greymattergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Absolutely my HG of ES!! These are phenomenal! I now have acquired over 30 of these shadows. I intend to own them all eventually. If you are buying MAC or any other high end shadows, you are wasting your money my friend! I have tried everything from MAC to UD, Tom Ford, Dior, Chanel, and everything in between. MUG is just as good if not better than any of the aforementioned brands..and when it comes to MAC, MUG is just hands down better in every single category. The colors are unique, diverse, and beyond pigmented. They are blendable, soft, creamy..utter perfection. Can we talk about price vs quality? One word comes to mind, UNBELIEVABLE. I could seriously go on about these shadows for eternity. I am so in love. I recently purchased some of the new summer releases, and Rockstar is one of the most unique shades I've come across. I love how MUG really takes into consideration cool and warm tones. Warm tones are so easy to find, but quality cool tones aren't as easy to come by. Cupcake has changed my life. I never would have chosen a pink ES color for myself. I saw a video on Youtube and I saw Marlenas eye look and fell in lust with it. I looked up the colors she used and bought them on the spot. This was my first MUG purchase. When they arrived I tried to replicate the look. Well it turned out beautifully, but the shocker was how much I loved Cupcake, and how that one little eyeshadow allowed me to gradually experiment with colors outside my comfort level. It had never occurred to me to try a pink at all, let alone in the crease as a neutral. I'm still in awe of how a matte pink, unassuming color could make such a difference in an eye look. I get compliments almost every time I wear it. These colors are thought out. There is love that goes into the development and it shows. These shadows are a makeup lovers dream. These are the colors you want, with quality you don't expect, at a price thats almost too good to be true. I have never had a problem with delivery, customer service, or shipping. I have never received any broken shadows. I have always gotten a prompt email after ordering, and another upon shipment. Deliveries have always arrived quickly, on time or before expected. I have made small orders, large orders, and even ordered single shadows, and every order was handled in a consistent, professional, and timely manner. MUG may be small, but they know what they're doing. With MUG you can have your cupcake and eat it too. You are getting high end quality without a question, at prices that beat even drugstore deals. I urge any ES wearer, any makeup lover...go! Try these shadows, you will not be disappointed! I can't recommend it highly enough! They are stunning!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No