November 27, 2014 | 1547 users online

Moisturizers - NOW Solutions 100% Natural Shea Butter

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 12:58:00 AM More reviews by kmm82512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If I could only own one skincare product, this would definitely be it.

I have very dry skin that's prone to flaking, especially during the winter, and no other moisturizer I've ever tried has worked nearly as well as this one (and I have tried many). It's solid in the tub, but it becomes much more smooth and creamy as it's warmed on the skin, and you don't need much at all. It's very long-lasting and thick, so I use a bit more in the evenings after washing my face, and in the mornings, I leave it on for about 5 minutes before using a damp washcloth to wipe off the excess, so my skin isn't as shiny. I've found that it works best when the skin is wet or damp. It's also good for softening very dry skin on the elbows, heels, etc.

Concerning the price: A 7 oz. tub can be found online for approximately $6-10, and I bought mine from a health food store for $9. A few reviewers reported the price to be steep, but perhaps only if you go through it more quickly by using large amounts as a hair moisturizer, and/or as an all-over body moisturizer. I use mine primarily on my face (and only occasionally on my elbows or legs, if need be), and a tub lasts me around a year, making it well worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by madscientist01

This is a great natural skin cream. I bought this (for ~ $15) to use in my own sunscreen formulation. It didn't cause me to break out at all (to my surprise), but does leave your skin shiny. You only need a small amount to cover your whole face (a pea sized amount?). I'm not sure if i'll repurchase it though, just because of the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by bedeal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Honestly my favourite thing on earth. I used Vaseline brand Cocoa and Shea lotion for quite some time as an everyday lotion and that was ok. I had a weird instance if cuts that would just open up on my shins for quite some time and Hemp&Co. unscented hemp oil helped that a lot. But nothing has been as amazing for my body as plain ole shea butter. I've made it into a body butter by melting it down and adding almond oil to it (75% shea to 25% oil ratio) and it worked great like that, especially nice when adding a few drops of rose oil to it. I like using it on its own better. I scoop a little out and fill and empty tin with the scrapings. I find this helps soften it better and makes it easier to access. The smell isn't terrible either. More nutty than sour milk scented like shea butter usually is. I think its the way it was extracted. I personally love the stuff. It isn't comedogenic whereas cocoa butter is. I've noticed small pimples under the skin on the back of my thigh disappearing after using this for about a month. Will buy again, despite the steep price. It's just a great body cream, you only need to use it sparingly, gives the softest skin, and has helped heal my legs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 8:10:00 AM More reviews by dachua

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff! I like that I can 'customize' it, I often mix a tiny dab with regular moisturizer, use it full strength on lips and feet, tiny amount in hand lotion.
Mine is not gritty at all, and it emulsifies in seconds. At night, I put on my regular products and then seal everything in by using the tiniest possible amount (just enough to make palms shiny) and pressing it in to my face to 'seal' in the other products.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2012 10:10:00 AM More reviews by krisiva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am addicted to this particular Shea Butter - it is realy wonderful. I use it as body massage oil, also as addition to face masks, and as leave on product for hair. It works wonders on curly hair :). It is absolutely comparable with the most expensive brands I have used. And I am buying it cheap from www.iherb.com (you can use coupon code TOV126 for $10 discount).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by yorkiemomma

Wonderful, fair trade Shea butter for a great price! You can usually get this on sale for 5.99! Great for dry skin and winter time;)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2012 4:55:00 PM More reviews by faffner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had been using Perfect Organics unscented shea butter, which I really liked, but I was running out and couldn't find any more. I don't like to use unrefined shea butter because I don't like the smell and it irritates my skin (I think one of the things that gets refined out is one of the things that bothers my skin). I picked up Now brand, and I've been happy with it. I haven't experienced the grittiness that other reviewers have; in fact, my tub has been the smoothest, easiest to apply shea butter I've used. It seems to sink in more slowly than Perfect Organics, and I can't use it all the time or on areas that can break out like my chest and back, but it is fantastic on dry skin, legs after shaving, and eczema patches.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 5:55:00 AM More reviews by RitaH

This is one of the most essential products I have in my beauty cabinet. I use it as a lip balm, on my elbows and knees, and on my hands as an overnight moisturiser. It is greasy upon application, so it is brilliant as a lip balm, but once it sinks in it leaves skin silky smooth. I buy this from iHerb (use code NIV336 to get $5 off your first order).

Depending on the weather, when it reaches me it's either soft and Vaseline-like, or hard, gritty and sandy. To fix the latter problem, I microwave it till it's melted, stir briskly, and then cool quickly in the freezer, which restores its smooth consistency. In hot summers, it becomes very soft, and in winter it hardens quite a lot, so you need to scoop it out and warm it between your hands before applying.

Bottom line: Excellent value for money, a multi-tasker that everyone should have! Particularly recommended as a lip balm and heavy-duty hand treatment. (Also, it's the main ingredient in Jack Black lip balm, a tube of which costs as much as a tub of this!)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 12:10:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wish I could give this product zero lippies!! I hated it. The texture of it was TERRIBLE! It was soo gritty, it was like rubbing sand into my skin. I did try to heat it to make it more spreadable but it was still gritty and it took forever to absorb into my skin. This was my first try with a refined shea butter and it will be my last. I am going back to unrefined shea butter.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 10:13:00 AM More reviews by In2th3night

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this because I wanted to use shea butter on my legs and feet and hands. I have used Alaffia's handcrafted shea butter...on my face and hands, and I love it! So I wanted a larger jar...Now solutions brand comes in a 7oz. tub. It is pure white as opposed to greyish beige, like most shea I have seen. That leads me to think that this is refined shea butter. This melts deferently in your hands , melts into a thick dull-ish lotion.(other shea butters I've used melt to an oil)...it's very moisturizing and truly lasts...creates a thin film , but is not greasy. To me , it's kind of like Nivea cream (in the blue tub) without the scent and lasts even longer than Nivea. Great barrier cream for lips and hands, even the ends of your hair! (used sparingly) I love this on rough heels , it lasts a long time on that rough calloused skin. I found that even after washing my hands , it's still there a little bit. I love that there is no fragrance , too.Also a tiny bit goes a very long way!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No