Too Faced Matte Eye

3.8

on 5/8/2015 10:37:00 AM

Yeah, I really don't know what I was thinking when I purchased this. I already knew TF didn't do matte shadows well (VERY difficult to blend, even with dense brushes), but I held out hope. I was disappointed.

The top row is the best row, and the deepest color column is absolutely the worst performing column. The purples look like a black eye, and the blue is uninspired and doesn't translate well. All in all, a disappointing waste of $36. Spend it somewhere else.

on 3/14/2015 1:19:00 AM

I was excited to get this palette for Christmas however I quickly was disappointed. The colors looked beautiful and pigmented. They are very hard to blend. They can look patchy and uneven. I've tired blending with different brushes but nothing works. I would say don't waste you money on this.

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I think for the most part I agree with everyone... this palette is nice but a little disappointing. I found the colors to go on smoothly and mostly even (there were a few exceptions I'll get to in a minute), and I thought they were blendable. I found myself using the first row of colors the most. To break it down by color:

Tufted suede, Chinchilla, Coffee bean: Beautiful, pigmented, easiest to use. Love them.
Velveteen Bunny and Fresh Linen: Nice highlight colors, nothing incredibly remarkable but they are lovely.
Pebbles: It's okay. Just okay. The color pay off isn't what I want and even with a primer it doesn't show up too well and the color looks faded a minute after you apply it.
London Fog: Again, it's alright but it could've been better. A little patchy when applied.
Vintage Violet: It's alright. I find that good matte purples are hard to find, and I think this color is nice but it falls a little flat.
Midnight: Again, a little underwhelming. Also found this to be a bit patchy.

Something I've found with my Too Faced palettes is that they make gorgeous neutral colors but for some reason, they can't quite get their colors right. Maybe it's just with the palettes I have from them (with the exception of the Naked eyes palette which is pretty neutral and I've adored it for years).

A nice look to do with this palette is Tufted Suede in the crease, Chinchilla on the lid, Coffee Bean on the outer lid, and Velveteen Bunny as a highlight.

In all honesty it's not a bad palette, but since the most usable colors are the neutral ones I think the Naked Basics palette is a better investment, even though it has 6 eyeshadows instead of 9 like this one (and it's 5 matte + 1 shimmer as opposed to all matte). I love Too Faced and I think they put out a lot of great products, therefore I hope that they improve their formulas for colors on future palettes so you really get your money's worth.

on 12/9/2014 1:48:00 PM

It seems the consistency of the shadows is the issue. I can get a nice look from using the tufted suede and chinchilla shades with a touch of dark brown in the outer corner, however the fashion and the white do not go on with enough pigmentation and blending the darker shades can be tough and end up looking uneven despite great brushes. I've experimented with primer and without, the result is not that much different and not worth the time investment. I much prefer the Urban Decay matte palettes, have both and really like both. Am I disappointed, yes, since myTwo Faced matte bronzer is great.

on 8/5/2014 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Not my favorite palette. I found the colors flat, chalky and uninspired. The top row was o.k. for a day look but on me this faded during the day even using primer. The middle row does not look good on me, and the bottom purple shade is the only one that I have hit pan on. (and the pan is so shallow!!) Wasted space! I avoided the white chalky shade and the dark shades: no pigment even when wet. I hated the case. Too heavy and bulky. Do away with the cards and put a mirror or a tray for a brush!

on 7/23/2014 3:45:00 AM

Disappointed. Most of Too Faced Matte eyeshadows do not blend as well as others, such as Urban Decay. The colors also go on patchy and uneven. Even using primer. I love too faced but this is a miss.

on 6/20/2014 2:40:00 AM

This palette was a huge disappointment for me because of the quality of the eyeshadows. I can only describe them as thin and dry in texture. I use Stila, MAC, Urban Decay, and some drugstore eyeshadows (ie Wet and Wild) and they are all ten times more creamy and pigmented. These shadows in this all matte palette blend into nothing when you put them on the eye. I do use the Urban Decay Primer Potion which I know that is not the problem. I cannot get any good looks from this palette. I cannot see this working well for most people.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'll make this review short, since others have already reviewed the colors in details. I bought this for my wedding makeup, and it suited for that purpose just fine. Here are highlights of my love/hates --

Love
+Great for daytime looks
+Love the variety of colors and that they are all matte

Hate
+I've found the darker shades are not pigmented enough to use as a liner or for a nighttime look The highlighter shades are too chalky to show up at all on my really pale skin
+Hate the bulky packaging. They could have made something a lot slimmer. For something this bulky, they could have included a mirror and a brush.
+While matte, some of the colors fall a little flat

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I THOUGHT I loved this palette. I found them to be pigmented if you're packing on the colours, WITHOUT blending. In fact, they created a very sexy look if you gently pack on colours on your lid.

The 3 big pans of colours (leftmost, lightest colour of its row) are quite ugly. Starting at top: the blonde coffee brown, its pigment is disappointing. Second: matte white?? It's rare to find an easy-to-blend matte white, and this one didn't make the good list. Matte pink -omgosh, it's like a ballerina pink that's too immature for me.

However I LOVED the other colours! As I said, they are amazing if you're packing on the eyeshadow. Once you start blending, HOLY F**** they do NOT blend well! They become patchy, chalky, light, and adding more colours to your blending brush doesn't help as much as you'd like.

So you can imagine how much I hated my look when I chose to use this palette on a last-minute date.

This was actually one of my first palettes when I started buying makeup two years ago. (I am Sephora VIB for a year now mwahaha) And although it's been two years, I haven't been able to love this palette: hard to blend (even harder with primer), the 3 biggest pans are disappointing (I hardly use them! But they're the biggest!!), the other shadows are "just OK" but chalky, NO MIRROR, love the colours but limited looks, and it's $50CAD (tax) for this!

I have returned it. ALSO: I did have instances where my eyes looked very sexy with this palette. As days gone by, I no longer wanted to wear double eyelid tape to bed (and wake up with beautiful, double eyelids) and accepted the beauty of my natural eyes (no matter how they look). I couldn't work this palette on my monolids/small eyelids!

I prefer the Stila - In the Know (all matte), Urban Decay Naked's (very little mattes but amazing quality), the Lorac Pro, and of course NARS single/duos.

on 5/17/2014 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This is 44 dollars in the EU and not 36, like in the US, just FYI on why I set the lipstick price rating at 3 lipsticks. This is a great palette - love the matte shades and there's a multitude of looks I haven't even tried yet. The colors are easy to work with and I get great satisfaction from working with this palette.

Popular Palettes