September 1, 2014 | 1280 users online

Shampoo - Alterna - Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 10:15:00 PM More reviews by emem054

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Shampoo and Conditioner. Just for a quick background, I have dry, damaged hair that's going through texture change due to pregnancy (yay!). I got a deluxe sample of this set at Sephora and I loved using it! Every time I used it, my hair was faster drying, softer, and shinier. It also had a bit more body without drying my scalp too much. I felt the scent was not overpowering, but pleasant. I think the only downside to this set is the price. I am going to purchase the set the next time I run out of shampoo and conditioner, and I think the real test is if I am willing to buy it again after that! But, for now, this makes my damaged, unruly pregnancy hair tame and soft!

Pros:
+ Paraben, Pthalate, and Sulfate free (plus some others I cannot remember)
+ Makes my hair soft and manageable
+ Smells nice

Cons:
- High price

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Meech25

I was sick of all the shampoos in my shower so i took my mom's out of her bathroom and tried it. I thought i was using moroccan oil volume shampoo..but then my mom mentioned she had refilled that old bottle with the caviar shampoo.
I could not believe how soft and smooth my hair felt!! I absolutely love this product and would recommend it to anyone!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 1:58:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

It produces a gentle, creamy lather that really cleans my hair. At first, I used too much and my hair was very squeaky clean feeling in the shower. I now use a nickel sized amount on my long hair. My hair looks very healthy and has good shine. It doesn't dry out my hair and my hair dries soft. It has a chemical like lemon scent, but it is tolerable. I bought the travel size from Ulta to try it out. It was about 11 dollars for the travel size since a regular bottle is about 27 bucks-33 bucks at different beauty supplies and online. Pretty steep but well worth it for me next time when I get the extra cash.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2014 3:08:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought a travel size of this on a whim, mainly because I was trying out the conditioner (separate review). My hair is naturally curly, dense, thick, coarse and very long (mid-back), my ends are dry but my scalp is oily. Moisturizing shampoos usually leave my scalp oily so I didnít have much hope for this, but I absolutely love it! It really deep cleans my scalp of any build-up and oil, but leaves the hair so soft and shiny. I wish this didnít cost do much, but a nickel-sized amount works into a good lather that covers my entire scalp. The fragrance is a clean, light citrus scent that dissipates quickly. The little travel tube lasted a long time, but I have already purchased the full-size. The cap of the full-size bottle is odd, you twist, upend, and then squeeze. Thankfully, itís a spill-proof cap, but it does require two hands; and the bottle itself is very skinny and so I can squeeze it one-handed. Still, I love this shampoo and will continue to buy.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 8:23:00 AM More reviews by Mariannn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hmm, this is a difficult one for me. I received this shampoo as a Christmas gift as I really like Sulphate Free shampoos. However, I probably would never have bought this myself - it's really quite expensive at around £30 per bottle.

Originally, I really loved this shampoo. Despite being SLS and paraben free, it still lathers up pretty well. It washes out nicely and left my hair feeling super clean and moisturised. I could notice a dramatic difference in the condition of my hair. The smell is hard to describe and I'm not sure if I particularly liked it, but it is faint and not overpowering. After about a month, I started to like this product less and less. It seemed to no longer moisturise my hair as well and in fact left it feeling coarse and dry. Whether this is due to the shampoo, or the fact that the condition of my hair may have deteriorated, I don't really know, but I started using cheaper shampoos which worked better.

Overall, it is a nice product but not worth the money in my opinion. If you have very healthy hair, I would recommend this but for those with drier hair, it's maybe not the best choice. I will not be repurchasing.

On another note, I really love the conditioner that matches this and would recommend it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Kflowaas

I can honestly say this is the only shampoo/conditioner line I have ever had clear and obvious results with. I am a licensed cosmetologist and also work at a supply house selling professional products to licensed people and I have not had one single negative feedback from this product. I don't see how there are any negative reviews - this stuff is liquid gold. I have very damaged hair from constantly going light and then coloring brown again and my hair tends to tangle and matt up like crazy, to the point I lose a ton if hair when I try to comb. This product gave my hair extra slip and made it very moisturized, I could run my fingers through my hair all day without even brushing it! Gives incredible shine and also smells really nice. Love love love this product. Use in conjunction with the conditioner and you will love your hair!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by MsFernandez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Nope, nope, nope. Not a fan. I've been using Pureology Hydrate for quite a few years on my waist length, super dry, wavy, frizzy, medium textured hair. It works just fine for me, and I LOVE the coordinating deep condish. Silly me, thinking I should try to find something "better," and more expensive always means better, right?!?!! Wrong. The girl at planet beauty was convinced that this stuff is just so amazing it would be what I was looking for. I got the shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioner. Used it a few times with the same result every time. Hair felt ok after air drying but the next day it was like tangled STRAW and it made my scalp hideously greasy. I do not have oily hair at all, it usually takes at least FIVE days for my scalp to start looking oily... But this made it oily in less than 24 hours. Yuck. Luckily I can return it all for a store credit and just re purchase my trusty Pureology.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2013 1:34:00 AM More reviews by terev

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have A LOT of thick, lush, waist length, healthy, naturally curly hair. This shampoo left my hair feeling like rope! When I was washing it off I could feel my roots and every other part (as the lather was being rinsed away) turn harder and more rough! I had to use all of the 1.35oz trial sized conditioner just to be able to comb it (with a wide toothed comb, in the shower, with conditioner on) as I usually do. I hated it!! Terrible!! Even after the conditioner it wasn't much better. I had to use a special "rescue" repair just to be able to blow dry it. Ugh!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Andio

I consider myself a product junkie! I have tried everything from drugstore brands to high end $40.00 shampoos. I have to say this is a definite MUST have favorite! I have long blonde highlighted hair. My hair is naturally curly, thick but fine. I need moisture. Especially now that I am getting older. I would have never guessed that this would be so awesome. I took the advice of a Sephora rep and got some samples of this. By the way, I have a lot of trouble with fragrance. This does smell, but fades quickly, does not itch your scalp and does not cause trouble with acne or eczema. You have to try this! The conditioner is fab too!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by smashlers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am only happy that I bought the travel size of this shampoo (and conditioner) first and not the larger ones.
I like that it is sulfate free and that you don't need much for it to lather, however I dislike the smell. I have oily hair/scalp and after using this my hair felt and looked instantly greasy and kind of straw-like. Within 3 hours it looked so bad that I sprayed it with the Alterna Bamboo Dry Shampoo that I also got in travel size to try and help the terrible look!
The dry shampoo actually worked fairly well, but this shampoo is awful and I feel like there are tons of other products out there that would work much better for oily hair like mine AND for moisturizing other hair types as well. Wouldn't recommend buying this.