December 22, 2014 | 877 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Magic Scroo (Goody Spin Pin knock-off)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 11:51:00 AM More reviews by alicat123

ladies, the SCROO was first!! It is NOT a Goody knock-off. I've been using the Scroo for ten years. When I saw the Goody commercials proclaiming "new," I shook my head. I guess they never patented it. Too bad.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2010 10:09:00 PM More reviews by callmecordelia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my first experience with screw-style pins. I looked for the Goody Spin Pins, but I've found exactly one store that carries them, and they were sold out. I didn't want to pay $14 CAD to buy some on eBay, so I tried these -- at $2 for a pack of five, I figured it was worth the risk. And I'm pleased. These are an incredibly easy way to get a basic bun. If your hair is layered like mine it'll be a messy, "undone" bun. (My hair is fine to medium, wavy, and just past shoulder length -- and I have a lot of it.) I had no trouble figuring out how to use them; you just twist your hair into a bun and screw them in as close to the head as possible. These don't have a ball at the end like the Goody version, so they will scratch your head if you're not careful, but it's not a big deal. I do wish these came in a colour other than black, because sometimes the ends poke out of my hair and they'd be less obvious if they were brown. For this price, though, I can't really complain.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2010 12:43:00 AM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have both these and the Goody spin pins, and I love them both, but there are a few differences.

First and foremost - the Magic Scroos are CHEAP. The listing I found was 5 pins for a buck fifty! At that price, I'm not too concerned with losing one here and there. The Goody pins are much more expensive, six or seven bucks for two, and they're next to impossible to find in stores because they sell out so quickly.

Size: The hair scroos are smaller than the spin pins, both in length and diameter. This means it takes more of the scroos for a full bun, but they're great for smaller buns or half-up styles, and I only need one. Plus since they're shorter, it's less likely that they'll end up sticking out of my hair the way the spin pins sometimes do.

Color: As far as I can tell, the hair scroos only come in black. This is fine by me, because I have black hair and even the brunette spin pins can look obvious. Those with lighter hair may take issue with this.

Hold: It's a tie on this one. Once they're in securely, both the scroos and the spin pins stay in until I remove them, unlike standard bobby pins that slowly migrate out of my hair throughout the day.

Comfort: The spin pins have an edge here. They have the little knobs of plastic coating on the ends, so it's not painful if I get too close to my scalp. The hair scroos (that I have, at least) don't have this, so they scratch if I put them in at a bad angle.

Personally I think it's nice to have both on hand, but I would recommend the Goody pins if you have long or thick hair, because the hair scroos may not be practical.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2010 12:11:00 AM More reviews by kathrynb23

For $6.00AUD on ebay, I purhcased 20 of these pins. I dont have the Goody Spin Pins soo cant really compare the 2, but as for these I love them!
I checked on ebay and the Goddy Spin Pins were $16USD exclude shipping for 2, soo these were definitely a bargain.
Like most other reviewers have mention, you do need at least 3 to hold a bun in. These were not as big as I thought they would be, but I think the size are just right for me. I have medium to thick layered straight hair. I find with these the size is big enough to hold all of my hair up, and small enough to hold small amounts of my hair.
They hold my hair up all day without me ever needing to tighten them or do anything, my hair doesnt come loose at all.
The thing I like most aboutthis is that you cant see the pins. Because I live in Australia, and we dont have these here, everytime I pull one out, it is always a talking point.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2010 11:52:00 AM More reviews by ixxy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have straight, fine hair that goes about 2-3 inches past my shoulders but I think I have more hair than average. I bought these on ebay at 10 for <$2. I think they work ok but are nothing to get excited about. I need at least 3 to hold my hair in a bun. 4 work better. 2 are just not enough. The bun slides apart very quickly with only 2. The main trouble with these is that the diameter is so small they cannot possibly hold down all your hair so you constantly get strands and layers falling out of the bun all over, which leads to a very messy look. Because of this, I won't wear them out of the house but I do wear them around the house. It takes a bit of finesse to get them in properly so they grab enough hair under the bun to hold it in place but don't end up poking you in the back of the head. Once in, they stay fairly well. Overall however, I prefer my claw clips which also hold all day, don't poke me in the head and take no time to put in, compared to screwing in 4 of these. However, my clips are plastic and eventually they always break. These are metal and I don't see them ever falling apart.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by renemy

I also bought these on eBay a few weeks ago at the unbelievable price of 5/$1.50, shipped. These came way before Spin Pins so I wouldn't call them a knock off, spin Pins are the knockoff. These really do work and they come in black, unlike Spin Pins. At 30 each, they are literally a 10th the price of Spin Pins, and in a more appropriate color for my hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2010 5:21:00 PM More reviews by myamar25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just bought the Spin Pin yesterday and immediately tried them out. After some trial and error, I was able to get it right and once it's in correctly, it does stay in and hold the bun for as long as you need to hold the style in place.

My hair is long, just past my should blades. It also has some layers that are growing out at the moment. I have Asian hair, medium thickness. What I have tried that works for me is to form a ponytail and twist it. Then form a bun with the twisted ponytail. Once you have the bun, make sure that you position the pin between your scalp and the top of the bun making sure that the some of the hair on your scalp and the bun are in the pin. Then screw in the pin making sure that you're screwing towards your scalp and not outward, otherwise the pin won't hold. Do the same thing for the bottom pin. You will get some fall out if you have a lot layers.. But it adds to the "messy" bun look. =)

The key here is to make sure the pins are grabbing onto something that it will act as an anchor. If you are screwing in the pin just in the bun, then it won't hold because there's nothing to anchor the bun. Like if you are putting in curlers into your hair. You have to put a pin in to secure the curler at the base so some of that pin is attach to the hair on your scalp. If you just secured it from the top then the curler falls. Some idea with the spin pin.

I hope this helps. As I am writing this my bun has held up for about 5 hours or so..

It is an expensive product.. I would repurchase because I think the concept is great.. but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a cheaper product that does the same thing.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2010 11:48:00 AM More reviews by jiney17

ABOUT PRODUCT: I saw a YouTube video demonstrating Goody Spin Pins with someone who has similar hair texture and was sold. I looked for them, but my local drugstores didn't have any in stock. When I looked online, I saw some bloggers mention that Spin Pins aren't a new concept. A man had invented and marketed them years ago, but the product didn't get much exposure and his patent ran out. I found someone on eBay who was selling "Magic Scroo" pins. They look exactly like the Goody Spin Pins: sturdy black wire spiral pins, rounded tips. They are about 2 inches long and 0.5 inches wide. And the Magic Scroo pins are much cheaper than the Goody ones. At 30 cents each, they are worth testing out.

ABOUT ME: Straight, layered hair that comes a few inches below my shoulders. It is healthy, medium thickness and normal texture (not fine and not coarse). Unless I put a lot of product in it, my hair tends to be too smooth for normal bobby pins to work. So if I do a bun, I have to use hairbands to keep it up. This works well, but it also makes the bun stick out from my head rather than staying flat against it. Hair also still slips out sometimes.

HOW TO USE: Put your hair into a ponytail (no need to use a hair band), twist it into a bun as you normally would. Then, take one pin and (making sure the 'open' part of the pin is pointed down), screw the pin into the top of your bun, spinning the pin clockwise. To make sure it really anchors your hair down, angle the pin toward your scalp. Then, use another pin and (making sure the open part is pointed up), screw the pin into the bottom of your bun. Again, angle the pin toward your scalp. In order to take the pins out, just unscrew them--twist them counterclockwise. It takes a little practice to get used to them, but you'll find that in the end, these are way simpler to use than normal pins. If you're still confused, just google "spin pin" to see directions or search for "spin pin" on youtube for instructional videos.

PERFORMANCE: These pins are FANTASTIC! They make putting your hair into a bun so quick and easy. Rather than dozens of bobby pins, you only need two spiral pins to hold your hair securely (though women with very long or very thick hair might need to use more). These are also very comfortable and don't poke your scalp or snag your hair (at least, medium-textured hair). Best of all, my buns actually look like normal buns, without tons of crazy pins and hair bands all over them.

PRICE/AVAILABILITY: 1.50 USD for five pins (no shipping costs). Spin Pins are 6 USD for two pins. Seriously, don't waste your money on the Goody ones--get these from eBay for what amounts to the change rattling around the bottom of your purse.

REPURCHASE?: Yes, absolutely. Though these seem sturdy enough that they won't break or bend easily. I might buy more in case these disappear for some reason. continued >>

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No