September 30, 2014 | 1896 users online

Mascara - Twilight - Volturi Crown Mascara

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by maryandtheboys

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this based on the review by Aerislanne...OMG this macara is so horrible!!. Yes it goes on really nicely, is very black, lengthens and volumises beautifully BUT I get the worst raccoon eyes after a few hours, even my blind boyfriend says "what's that under your eyes?". The formula is also waterproof so it is really hard to remove, my La Roche Posay cleansers are not doing the job. I have to use coconut oil for this. Ugh, just not a useable product in my opinion...all slick packaging and hype. DuWop done a flop when they put out this crap!!!.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2009 8:49:00 PM More reviews by Aerislanne

Yesterday I was browsing around at Ulta with my friend, and we came across a Twilight makeup display. "Volturi by Twilight," it said.

"WTF is this shit?" I said. "This is ridiculous. Twilight MAKEUP?" Let me note that I have never seriously read the books, but I've gotten ~70 pages into Breaking Dawn before deeming it the worst thing I have ever read. Why, yes, I am a literary snob. Surprise. I haven't bothered to see any of the movies, though I've been tempted to... armed with RiffTrax and a fifth of vodka. But I digress.

Nevertheless, my friend and I gamely swatched and played with all the testers. We were surprised by the quality of these, to be honest - much better than I expected.

Now the standout product of this line... the mascara. It came in a tube that looked like a Chanel lipgloss, of all things. In fact, I thought it was a black lipgloss until I bothered to read the packaging. ("Ugh," I thought to myself. "They're ripping off MAC's Style Black collection now, aren't they?")

Then I actually tried it on my lashes, and... wow. My lashes looked long, defined, and separated. I decided I had to have it, even at the $16 price tag. What really sold it for me was that my friend saw my lashes and said, "wow, that looks really good." She has the most amazing lashes herself, so of course I convinced.

Also, as a chemistry nerd, I was quite impressed by the formulation:

Ingredients: Isododecane, Polyethylene, Beeswax, Polypylene Carbonate, Bis-Stearyl Ethylenediamine/Neopentyl Glycol/Stearyl Hydrogenated Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Copernica Cerifera (Carnuba) Wax, Caprylyl Glycol, Pentaerythrityl Hydrogenated Rosinate, Phenoxyethanol. May contain: Mica, Iron Oxides, Titaniux Dioxide, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Aluminum Powder.

It's not advertised, but this is a waterproof (or at the very least, water-resistant) mascara. See the first ingredient on that list? Isododecane? It's also the main ingredient in the formulation of the famously smear and smudge-proof MAC Fluidline. That, along with polyethylene and beeswax being among the first ingredients was a tip-off that this stuff would not come off easily with just water. Good stuff.

The $3.50 off coupon at Ulta made the price a little easier for me to swallow. This morning I tried it on again and... yup, I'm still enamored of it. One coat is mostly good for lengthening; two coats give it pretty decent volume. The brush is nothing special, but the formula is thin enough that there are NO CLUMPS when applied. And you know what else about it is awesome? It holds a curl. It holds a curl really well, in fact.

I think I could be in love.

A cursory search on the internet reveals that this line is actually manufactured by DuWop, a pretty respectable company in its own right. So for once I have to admit I was wrong and give props to the Twilight franchise. If good for nothing else... at least they put out a damn good mascara.

The only part I am worried about is that when this whole stupid Twilight craze blows over, they're going to stop making this mascara, and THEN what the hell am I going to do?!

Also, here is a comparison picture of my lashes with and without Volturi Crown mascara. Left eye is mascara-less, while the right eye has 2 coats of Volturi Crown mascara in Black Knight (yes, I know there's a typo in the picture):

continued >>