March 2, 2015 | 2000 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2015 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Sassyclaws

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It isn't the miracle it was made out to be, but it does help to get a good deep clean. I wouldn't purchase this product if I had a fixed beauty budget, because I feel like there are many more low cost options that would do a similar job. I don't super love it,I'm not really sure if it has made any improvement to my skin at all, but I do notice a "cleaner" feeling when I use it

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2015 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Tabcourt

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've used this and the Olay pro x. They work exactly the same and Olay is waaaaay cheaper. I think having one of the other is impt for skincare routine but all things being equal go less expensive!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2015 4:44:00 PM More reviews by corinne979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh, Clarisonic. You were like my abusive boyfriend in a Lifetime movie. No matter how many times you hurt me--which included, but was certainly not limited to, cystic acne, dryness, irritation, the list truly goes on and on--I kept crawling back to you, hoping, PRAYING that THIS TIME would be different. This time I would only use you a few times a week and things would change! This time I would use a different brush head and voila--porcelain! Alas--we were not to be.

I'll admit that when I first started using this, I used it twice a day, which is probably too much for anyone's skin to handle. But. I also used Proactiv for about seven years, so I think it's fair to say that my skin can take some shit. This was just too much for it. The Olay Pro X, on the other hand, worked miracles. I'd advise anyone who's finding the Clarisonic to be too abrasive but wants the kind of results it's purported to give, to give the Olay brush a whirl.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2015 8:22:00 PM More reviews by torijanus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure that I'd replace my Clarisonic if something happened to it.

It has improved my skin. My mild acne has cleared up most of the way, usually just one or two pimples now or then. I originally bought it because I was breaking out so badly from a combination of the horrible water here at school (it leaves tons of mineral build up in my hair), and the stress from starting classes again after just losing my grandfather.

Just a heads up, there are fakes out there. Please buy from one of the authorized Clarisonic sellers so you don't get ripped off. I got mine on eBay before I knew that such a thing as a knockoff Clarisonic existed. I saw that the inner prongs were rusting and confirmed it was a fake after calling Clarisonic and giving them the serial number. Fortunately, the seller was just as mortified as I was that it was a fake and refunded my money promptly. The old one is now used for exfoliating my legs where I get KP. I think I ended up getting my current Mia 1 for around $70 due to a coupon (I spent hours comparing prices on the approved sellers' sites).

I really notice when I go a few days without using it. My nose gets gross blackheads and my skin feels rough. However, I can't use my Clarisonic as frequently as some people do. For whatever reason, my skin can't handle the Clarisonic more than once a day if I'm really lucky but it's usually every other day that I have to use it. Despite using the delicate brushes, it's a bit too rough on my skin. I make sure that the brush just glides over my skin and that there's plenty of lather and water but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've made it my rule of thumb that if my skin starts to feel uncomfortable before the Clarisonic shuts off when the minute is up, my skin needs a day to recover.

It is important that you wash your brush head at least once weekly with an antibacterial soap so that you're not spreading bacteria you washed off back onto your face again. The brush heads aren't cheap by any means at about $30 a piece. However, some places do have sales and if you aren't picky like me, you can buy them on Amazon. As a college student, there's no way I can afford a $30 brush head. So I bought a 3 pack of sensitive brush heads on Amazon for less than $10 and they feel the same as the Clarisonic brand one. They look a bit different but they work just the same for a fraction of the price.

Don't expect this to be a cure-all miracle worker. It took at least a month to get my skin back to normal with the Clarisonic and the Paula's Choice acne kit. Some people's skin doesn't take kindly to the Clarisonic. Don't push it and keep track of the receipt just in case. What works for me may not work for you and I know plenty of people who have returned theirs. There's no shame if it doesn't work, to each their own. I would recommend it but again, it's not for everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2015 7:33:00 PM More reviews by brideie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After buying this I though of a way to explain what this product did to my curious husband and sons. I compared the Mia to the power toothbrushes we all use that clean very thoroughly but are gentle and do not tear up the gums the way overbrushing with a manual toothbrush would.
I started with the sensitive skin brush and only use it ever other day before bedtime. The Mia is not a quick fix, but I did notice my skin looking smoother over time and my foundation looking more natural on my smoother skin. After a while I noticed my neck looked like it would benefit from the Mia as well.
I like my Mia and would repurchase if needed.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2015 7:04:00 PM More reviews by CareBearReilly

This is really well marketed and I think that's about the only thing good about this product. Very uncomfortable to use. I followed the instructions, watched online videos to try to improve my technique, all to no avail. It's just too harsh on my sensitive skin even with the sensitive skin brush heads. My face was very bright pink and irritated looking. Returned. I'll stick with my usual routine of using a washcloth daily or every other day and then throwing in a homemade sugar scrub (using brown sugar because of the finer grain, milk and honey). This is probably a great tool for a lot of people, but I don't want to damage my skin for months to come to the same conclusion, that this isn't for me or my skin. I get pimples (some cystic on occasion) and I find that my usual routine works much better. This is very expensive and I think you can get the same exfoliating benefit either using gentle vitamin c or vitamin a based skin products OR using a washcloth. I can't imagine how much dead skin one is really accumulating on their face that using this daily or every other day would be wise. Faces aren't like feet. The skin is more delicate and thin than elsewhere. I don't know. If you buy it make sure you're aware of the return policy and that you don't push through using something if it seems it's irritating you. I think that I was disappointed to return this because it's so expensive and there are so many glowing reviews, but honestly everyone is different and this won't work for everybody.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2015 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Birdingmom

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hesitated to try this because of my rosacea. However, I think it's a fabulous product. My skin feels to clean, and my pores look better. We're going to Europe for three weeks, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it along.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2015 9:58:00 AM More reviews by clare26

I just don't get the hype with this product.
When I first heard of clarisonic, I thought I'd never buy one, ever. I just assumed it was an unnessecary, marketing gimmick or glorified scrubbing brush. I just couldn't understand how it would work any better than using a scrub, or a chemical exfoliant.
After reading the glowing reviews on makeup alley and elsewhere, I eventually decided I HAD to try this. The desire for a glowing, clear complexion was just too much!
First of all, it's fairly pricey initially, and then every few months or so you still have to replace the brushes at a cost of about $30AUD. I'm really not sure if certain bristle heads make a difference as I've only used the 'normal' brush, and thus this is the brush head that my review will be on.
And the results? Well I can't say I noticed a difference in my skin at all! The first time I used it, I thought my skin looked glowing and fresh, but after that, my skin just looked the same after I used it. I used it most nights and nothing!
I decided to try it again a few nights ago and the next day I looked in the mirror and my skin looked irritated, especially the tops of my cheeks. Almost a little rashy.
I honestly just don't think this is a necessity. Yeh, it feels indulgent to use, almost like a mini facial at home, but that's about it. I will also say just to be careful you don't overdo it with the exfoliation. I'm sure some people use this as well as chemical exfoliants, and I wouldn't be surprised if this does more harm than good.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2015 2:30:00 AM More reviews by Young55

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I do not like the Clarisonic Mia at all. It's cute and baby pink, but that's it. My skin looked horrible after using it for only a few days. I followed all instructions and used my regular mild cleanser, but it changed my skin texture from smooth and normal to flaky and snake-like. I was shocked to see myself in outdoor lighting. I was excited to try this product after an esthetician recommended it. They offer a free facial and other products if you buy a Clarisonic from them. I'm sure they must receive money for sales. Anyway, I optimistically made the expensive purchase of a Mia feeling good that I was doing something good for my skin. I've used Clinque for years, including their scrub. My skin has been in very good condition, especially for my age. My main reason for wanting the Mia was to eliminate my scrub and replace it with something gentler on my skin. In recent years I've begun to notice broken capillaries. Anyway, after 3 days I'm back to my old routine with my Clinique scrub and my skin has recovered. The Mia is going back to the store tomorrow. Good riddens.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2015 6:21:00 PM More reviews by DarleneF

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love my Mia! I need to get into a better routine with it. I do not use it as regularly as I should and am also bad about letting the battery run down. (but only because a charge lasts so long! I just forget.) I am still undecided which brush head is best for me. But I do know this...my skin looks and feels better when I'm using it regularly. Also, using it just feels pampering...it's relaxing. I also feel that my moisturizer absorbs better when I use the Mia first. Before I had a Clarisonic, I used an old fashioned "manual" complexion brush. That helps. But the Clarisonic is a hundred times better!