Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

1 cup distilled water1/4 cup alcohol1/2 tbsp. clear shampoo1/2 tbsp. dishwashing liquid1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner

on 4/20/2015 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have never purchased a brush cleaner. I use anti-bacterial hand soap and mix it in with sorborlene cream. I know it sounds like a weird combination but the sorborlene cream can actually be used as a body wash if you have dry skin. When I use it inconjunction with the hand soap it is amazing. The brushes feel amazingly soft and the hand soap kills the germs and bacteria on the brushes. I haven't had any major shedding and I own brushes that are over 4 years old and they are still in great condition.

on 4/15/2015 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

This isn't even DIY, just using an existing product for a different use: BioKleen Produce Cleanser. Don't know why I tried it the first time; most stuff I used left brushes dry and scratchy. Even foundation and concealer come out easily, and it's much easier to rinse out than shampoo or dish soap. Note that it doesn't remove all stains from beautyblenders or dupes, but then again, nothing does.

on 4/6/2015 3:52:00 AM

In Australia,most brush and sponge cleaners are pretty expensive, so I did a Google search for a cheap alternative and this is the one I found that really works and is super cheap:

1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon dishwashing detergent
1 tablespoon vinegar

Mix ingredients together in a small bowl or cup and place brushes bristles down in the mixture. You can swirl the brushes around in the mix if you like, but I prefer to just let the brushes sit for about 10 minutes. You can see the amount of gunk that comes off the brushes - it's amazing. make sure you rinse brushes thoroughly afterward. If you are cleaning large brushes, only put 1 or 2 brushes in the mixture. For smaller brushes, I sit up to 6 in the mixture.

on 1/27/2015 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is the best because it is natural, healthy, and cheap! I use it with natural shampoo and conditioner anyways which makes it so, but it works as well as anything you can buy in the store, and obviously costs way less.

on 12/19/2014 10:37:00 PM

I came across these reviews and also watched enjoyed you tube videos and decided to gather up everything and try it out. Let me tell you I will never ever spend money on a bottle of brush cleanser again. This stuff does clean even foundation brushes, and I had read the reviews that it did but I found it hard to believe but it is so true. It does clean even foundation brushes quickly. Try it you will not be sorry, it is great.

This is just for my UK (and generally metric) pals who want to try this recipe. And btw, as for the perennial problem of finding IPA (isopropyl alcohol, NOT Indian Pale Ale, silly, although that would sort of work I guess) I found some at professional makeup shop in London - I won't name it but a quick search will get you an equivalent I'm sure. They don't sell distilled water so I am trying to make mine, with little success so far, but this is London, it WILL rain soon and then problem solved.

Anyway, if you want to replicate this recipe but are puzzled my the measurements, this is the metric version

240 ml distilled water
60 ml 70% alcohol* (or ~40 ml of 99% alcohol)
7.5 ml each of dishwasher liquid and shampoo
15 ml leave in conditioner.

*this is the dose for the alcohol that is easily acquired in the States. Unfortunately it is very hard to find it in the UK. You can find Surgical Spirit (NOT THE SAME THING AS WHITE SPIRIT!!!!!) or methylated spirit at DIY stores, and if you are chummy with a pharmacy they may part with some rubbing alcohol, but it's hard. And surgical spirit smells... ouch. Not that IPA is odor free, but it's way better.

However, the IPA I found is 99.9%, not 70%. So a little math would tell you that 60ml at 70% is the same as 42ml at 99%. Which is what I am going to use. (Correct me if I am wrong: I am probably wrong). It won't kill you to have more alcohol, it will just disinfect a bit better, but the smell is an issue.

on 1/27/2014 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Here's my brush cleanser, that I swear by and always have used!
It's really simple:

Take some olive oil and babyshampoo (or any other natural shampoo would work) and mix those two together. Bare in mind that you need more shampoo than oil.

Everything else explains itself. Works really effective and I don't get why anyone would buy an expensive brush cleanser, when you can make one yourself for almost no money.

on 1/13/2014 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

MAC brush cleanser---I LAUGH AT YOU.
Why spend hard earned money on something you can make with things you already own?
Want to learn how to DIY brush cleanser my way? Read on, lovely reader.

1. Gather some dish soap, olive oil, and a container (I recommend a soap dish, it works gloriously for me)
2. Mix the 2 parts soap, 1 part oil, and a bit of water into the soap dish. Make sure you mix it all up well.
3. Now you just dip the brush into your cleanser, and rinse under the sink. I use much less cleanser using the soap dish rather than a cup or what have you.
4.When cleansing, make sure to work out all the makeup with your fingertips, and rinse BRISTLE SIDE DOWN! try not to get water into the metal part of your brush as it will cause the glue to come undone, resulting in broken and shedding brushes. We definitely don't want that!
5.Make sure all the suds are out of the brush, then set them to dry at a downward tilt.
6.Once dry, you can now use your squeaky clean brushes on your beautiful face!!

I always use this to clean my brushes, and it helps to keep them clean, soft, and in good condition.

Don't waste your money on manufactured brush cleansers, lovelies!

NOTE: If you are acne prone, or use your brushes on people other than yourself on occasion, letting the brushes sit in a cup filled with a shallow amount of alcohol is really recommended! It will help to further sanitize the brush, and it makes it easier to clean all the makeup out when you get the actually cleaning the brushes :)

on 12/6/2013 8:11:00 PM

This is how I do it but I forego the tea tree oil and use lavender essential oil instead...

1 Cup distilled water
1/4 Cup 91% alchohol
1TBSP dish washing soap (Dawn Antibacterial)
1TBSP Castille soap (Lavender)
1TBSP shampoo (EO French Lavender)
1TBSP conditioner (EO French Lavender which is both leave in/rinse out)
A few drops of Lavender essential oil (from the health food store)

Can you tell I like lavender? lol My brushes are so clean and smell yummy! We have a fireplace, so I lay them on a towel and let them dry several feet away from the fire in the wintertime. We also live WAY out in the country so during the summer, I take them to my back deck and lay them out on the table (avoiding direct sunlight) and voilĂ ... clean, dry brushes in no time. The only time I don't dry them outside in the summer is when the pollen is flying around and killing my sinuses :) I did that once and had to go back and re-wash them...ugh! The bristles were literally yellow with all that nasty pollen!

on 5/2/2013 5:07:00 AM

Here I got this recipee from a favorite makeup tutorial instructor of mine in her vid at Youtube (I improve a little bit):
1 tablespoon of Dish washing soap (to disinfect the bacteria)
1 tablespoon of olive oil/jojoba oil (to smothen the brush)
half teaspoon of lime water
Add no water when you clean up your brushes with these three ingredients

Just mix all the ingredients above and clean your brush with it by stiring it up on the plate with the mixture. Later wash off your brush with warm or cold water. And you'll see your squeaky clean brush :) I prefer using this hommade brush cleanser because it's waaaayy inexpensive than the branded brush cleanser. And I feel more comfortable with the material of this cleanser.

Popular Makeup Brushes