October 24, 2014 | 1808 users online

Shampoo - Nioxin - Scalp Recovery Medicating Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 6/12/2012 4:27:00 AM More reviews by sofietherese

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After being an avid user of Nioxinís Scalp series for several years, I am very sad to leave a bad review of a product that have really helped me for so long. I am hoping this can serve as help to anyone that are experiencing the same change to the worse when using Nioxin.

Nioxin was recommended to me by my hairdresser after struggling with sensitive, dry and flaky scalp. Nioxin worked magic! My scalp went back to normal within months and the good health has continued since. The hair itself has always looked very healthy and shiny as well.

Over the past 6 months I noticed my problem scalp was returning. I consulted my hairdresser again and she told me that since a few weeks they have discontinued Nioxin in the salon. Come to find out Nioxin was purchased by Procter & Gamble and since products have started to change: the research laboratories has been closed at the original headquarters in Atlanta and production moved to Mexico. My hairdresser also mentioned changes to the products ingredient list.

With this knowledge, I went home and checked my bottles and sure enough the bottles are produced in Mexico. Iíve used them since the beginning of this year and should explain my change. Again Ė I am really sorry to see such a great product not work itís magic for me anymore and I haven't found a good replacement either :-(

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by Verrine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have one place on my scalp that stays itchy & flaky & other spots that come & go. I also color my hair. Regular dandruff type shampoos strip the color out & also stink. This shampoo is gentle while improving my scalp & doesn't smell bad.

Minuses. It is expensive. The redesigned bottles don't look quite as medicinal. It is hard to tell the bottles of shampoo & conditioner apart. This is still much better than coal tar treatments. The big problem is finding the shampoo!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2010 7:55:00 PM More reviews by sorrels

Shampoo is soothing and smells good. A little too moisturizing for my fine, thinning hair. Was having trouble with dry scalp, forehead and eyebrows. Went to dermo and also bought this to use in addition to face Rx dermo gave me. I will keep to use on occasion and to have on hand for the winter months. Said yes, I would buy again, but really it's a maybe, the price is more than I like to spend for shampoo. ($19)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by khadijah

I bought this based on MUA reviews but mostly based on a hairboard search for itchy scalp treatments.

My scalp itch I think is mostly due to my habit of picking of the scalp flakes.

Taking off 1 lipstick for the price, 3x more expensive than drugstore treatment shampoo, but I've tried TSal (Salicylic acid too drying), and Tea Tree shampoo. They're good for the scalp but strips moisture from my hair.

What is different about Nioxin scalp recovery is that its gentle enough and I can use it almost daily without leaving my hair feeling like a scrubbing brush afterwards.

I havent seen significant improvement yet on the scalp, but I guess if I use it every day, it means I can wash away the flakies and reduce it that way, without drying out my hair.

Your mile may vary, but I think its worth a try.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 11:37:00 PM More reviews by aizen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I decided to try this shampoo after I read JCuevas04 's review.
my scalp tend to get really oily and itchy ( no dandruff) if I don't wash hair everyday. however most shampoo made my scalp irritation.
( also I have very senstive skin too, react with many skin care & hair care product) this shampoo doesn't gave me any problem.
I am so happy with it. also I am using conditioner & the serum ( only sometime) too.I am so thankfull to JCuevas04 because if I didn't read her review I would never try this.

Add, I have to take couple lippie...
after I've used for couple month. my scalp getting dry and tend to senstive. I think the zinc is too much for my super sensitive scalp.
however this shampoo must be good for someone who has oily and no sensitive scalp.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2009 1:05:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

My scalp had been itching terribly since we turned the heater on. I tried Nizoral and massaging jojoba into my scalp before washing, neither of which helped. I decided to try this after JCuevas04 rec'd it and I'm so glad I did. This shampoo is wonderful, lathers very nicely and smells nice but my hair didn't feel like straw after rinsing. Agree with all she said in her review and this will be a winter staple for me for sure. A little $$ considering it's a dandruff shampoo but it made my itchies go away immediately, so it's worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2009 5:10:00 PM More reviews by JCuevas04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Well, first off its meant for problem scalps whether it be dry, oily, dandruff, itchy, irritated, etc. It helps to clean the scalp with 2% Pyrithione Zinc which is anti-fungal and antibacterial amongst helping with other things. It helps rid the scalp of build-up and allows the hydrating properties of the shampoo soothe the scalp rather than adding more oils and silicones on it. Its also great to use if you have a normal scalp like once a week for the overall health of your scalp. So thats the scalp part of it.

Now the hair part of it is that this is sulfate-free, color-safe, non-stripping and actually very moisturizing to the hair. Its made that way. A lot of shampoos I have tried that are made for scalp problems were harsh on my hair and this is the first shampoo I have tried that actually helps with my scalp issues and moisturize my hair. I suffer from oily, itchy, flaky scalp but have dry hair/length. So this is two in one for me! Its my HG.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No