August 23, 2014 | 1005 users online

Moisturizers - Boots - expert shine control lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Enm305

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this moisturizer. I'm always switching up whatever face products I'm using becuase I'm just never satisfied but I've been using this for a few years now and I'm going to continue to do so! It controls the shine I usually get on my nose and forehead for most of the day, and isn't heavy or greasy at all, plus it just feels amazing on my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/29/2014 4:01:00 AM More reviews by Mmmel

This stuff is very light weight. It dries quickly and leaves my skin very soft and NOT sticky which I find rare in most moisturizers.

My skin is still oily after a few hours but not as much as it would be without this. I absolutely love the finish of it and how makeup applies with it on.

My only complaint is that it is not as moisturizing as I like so I prefer to only use this in the morning.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2014 4:14:00 AM More reviews by ashcarole

LOVE IT! I have finally found a facial moisturizer that works with my skin, not against it. I have combo/oily skin. I have tried all sorts of products and usually within 45 minutes my face is greasy. I have been using this and it works like a charm. My face doesn't get greasy and it feels so smooth. It definitely has a matte texture once it sinks into your skin but it is not overpowering. The smell I can deal with and am not bothered by. Packaging doesn't bother me either. It's made in the UK so I expect the packaging to be a bit more simplistic. It's a European thing. Either way, I love this product and will continue buying it. Boots makes excellent products

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 3:57:00 AM More reviews by sherryba

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this product a lot. Since Estee Lauder discontinued (why???) their clear difference oil control hydrator I had to find something I felt was similar. This, I felt, was about the same consistency...well, it's thicker but not "lotion-y." It isn't heavy and it helps my makeup go on more smoothly. I do not like the packaging so much due to the poorly performing pump. If it had great packaging I'd have given this 5 stars. When I pump I always end up with too much product and that annoys me. I'd say the aspect I like the most is that I feel it helps my makeup go on more smoothly and keeps me from using as much of it. For the price you really can't complain.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/5/2013 4:49:00 AM More reviews by glamourclaire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This product should be called 'make it shine'. If you want persistent oily skin within an hour of applying your makeup, buy it! Awful. No amount of blotting and re-powdering stopped my skin oiling up. It went in the bin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

I love this as a daytime lotion, it moisturizes my combo-oily skin without making it greasy. JACKPOT! Anyone with combo-oily skin who's on the hunt for a daytime moisturizer knows how hard it is to find one that doesn't turn you into a greaseball & doesn't dry you out. It doesn't exactly mattify (which is okay- I have other mattifiers that tend to dry me out or clog my pores so it's a trade-off really) but it DOES absorb oil- kaolin is one of its ingredients. It's pretty great.
No overpowering scent, nice lightweight texture, sinks right in, beautiful results. I finally found a good basic moisturizer for daytime use.
The packaging is a little cheap-looking but I don't mind. Would definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

After using this daily for 2 months now I feel I can accurately review it and am really surprised to see that this only has a 3.3 overall rating!
I have fallen head over heels in love with this moisturizer. I was just browsing the Boot's section at Target one day when this caught my eye. I flipped the box around to check the ingredients, as I do with *every* face makeup and skincare product because I have breakout-prone, combo-oily skin so checking to make sure none of my breakout triggers are in a product is something very important to me. (and for reference I do not frequently find moisturizers with "safe for me" ingredient lists so that was another thing that really caught my eye regarding this! lol)

For reference I'm 31 years old with combo-oily skin that is somewhat acne-prone but very clog & blackhead prone (&especially prone to flare-ups from cosmetics).
This moisturizer was right around $7 USD for 100ml/3.3 fl.oz.

I want to start off with my only negative.. The packaging! Oh how I love pump bottles for products - I hate sticking my fingers in tubs (even when they're freshly washed I still feel like I'm tainting the product or something, I don't know lol) -but THIS pump bottle is pathetic! At first I thought I just wasn't using it properly and couldn't seem to figure it out. After several days of screwing the entire cap off to get any product out, the pump itself finally loosened up on it's own became semi-usable, only to get stuck down again after one use. UGH. (I could go on & on about how crappy this pump is...) I became so frustrated that after 1 week I took it back to Target to exchange it for a new bottle (I told them that the pump wasn't working & they let me exchange with no questions asked). But whaddya know? Same thing with the 2nd bottle! &That is why I had to give this only 2 lippies for packaging. I love the fact that they tried to do a pump bottle, but the execution is off.
So after I had the same issues with my 2nd bottle of it I made yet another trip to Target and purchased a $1 empty ("travel friendly") squeeze tube and decanted all of this moisturizer into that. I've been using it from my $1 squeeze tube ever since without any issues! (thank goodness ;D)

Now onto the actual product which I gave 5 well deserved lippies to! It's a very very lightweight lotion type moisturizer. White in color but blends out clear on the skin and does not leave any type of white cast or tint. It does not contain SPF (which is an added bonus for me because I prefer to apply my own)
To be honest I had thought I already owned the most lightweight drugstore moisturizer without SPF (I'm referring to Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream) -I also thought it was my Holy Grail of moisturizers but I have to say, Boot's Expert Shine Control has really been impressing me and definitely is better for my skin when it's at it's oiliest (during this humid summer!)

During these humid summer months, my skin is indeed at it's oiliest (definitely consider myself more oily than combo right now..) -and on *most* days that I'm not wearing any face makeup I can get away with not wearing any moisturizer either (that will change of course when the dry winter rolls back around) -but on the days I do wear makeup I need to wear a light moisturizer to even out my skin and prevent any flakes or dry patches from appearing.
My skin is so finicky though and finding the right moisturizer is so difficult. First I have to find one that isn't going to and/or doesn't break me out. Then, if I use one that's too heavy I'll be an oil slick in an hour, but if I don't use any at all I'll feel "tight" and end up with a few "foundation flakes".
So for years I've been on the hunt for my perfect under makeup moisturizer. I thought I'd found the best I was going to get with the Garnier one I mentioned above but for my summer oilies, I think this has surpassed it :)
When I wear this, I'll look in the mirror 4, 5, 6, 7 hours later and have to do a double take because I'm still shine free!

This is not a "mattifying" product though. If you have very oily skin that requires multiple blots and touch-ups throughout the day, this product alone isn't going to solve all of your oily skin problems. But this product in conjunction with a skincare routine that isn't forcing your skin to overproduce oil, and a good oil controlling primer + foundation will make a difference in my opinion :)

When this humid summer drifts away into a dry winter though I'm 99% sure that this probably won't be moisturizing enough for me anymore (I consider myself more "combo" during those months and I become much much more prone to dry patches and flakes under liquid foundations) But I'm planning to update when that time comes :)

Overall, if your skin sounds anything like mine, I'd highly recommend Boot's Expert Shine Control Lotion, and I've been raving about it to anyone who'll listen lol (especially for less than $10, it's a steal!)
-But if your skin is at all dry this probably won't be the holy grail product that it is for me simply because it won't be moisturizing enough. Although for those of you who fall into this category you could try pairing it with another lightweight moisturizer (which is what I plan on trying this winter) or, applying this to your oily areas (Tzone only maybe) then using a heavier moisturizer on your combo-dry areas & that could possibly work as well :)

I personally will definitely repurchase and would be heartbroken if it were discontinued! Even if it ends up that I can only use it during the summer, it's been so lifesaving for me this summer that it's well worth having around :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 10:14:00 PM More reviews by JazzBieber

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow! What can I say? THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING! I've just recently started using this product and I absolutely love it. I have oily skin and it is so hard to take care of especially in the summer. When i get ready, I was my face with the oil free nuetragena scrub and then i use the Boots Rosewater toning spritz and then i put on the Boots expert shine control lotion, and then i put on my L'oreal BB cream. This product is perfect for girls with oily skin and it basically looks amazing the whole day. It has a matte finish which i absolutely adore. You should definitely try my skincare routine and it works! I love this product!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Tokellywithlove

Surprisingly pleasant smell and great for my oily skin, wasn't expecting any miracles in oil control department but was pleased by the non-greasy texture and that was enough to please me. Plus it has a pump, and the packaging is easy on the eyes.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2013 2:37:00 AM More reviews by FearlessBarb

Doesn't control shine but mixes well with liquid foundation.