Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant

3.3

on 7/4/2015 5:27:00 PM

Works all day long on my sweaty body and great clean scents! Worth every penny and love it!!!!!

I was surprised this deodorant worked so well on me! I've tried other brands of organic and aluminum-free deodorant before and it left me smelling awful. The one I currently use is the Vanilla Passion Fruit which has a really nice scent. Living in Hawaii (humid), I didn't think this would work. To my amazement, it works great! There are times I need to reapply throughout the day, but that doesn't bother me. The nice scent stays for a good while.

on 6/2/2015 9:31:00 PM

I love Lavanila roller balls. The fragrances are lovely. I bought this as a decadent alternative to other deoderants, but it simply did not work for me. I wound up with skin irritation and smelly pits by midday. One of my best friends swears by these deoderants, but for me, this just didn't work. Having said that, the packaging was fine, and I had no issues with transfer to my clothing/bras as I tend to not dress until a few minutes after deoderant application. So disappointed that this was a fail for me.

on 5/30/2015 2:01:00 PM

I wanted to love this; it had such positive reviews and I was hoping to a natural alternative that actually works but I am sorry to say that I am throwing in the towel, even if it cost 4X more than a regular drugstore brand and I made a special trip to Sephora for it. I tried using it even which way: I applied it at night and in the AM, just at night, in the AM and even three times a day when I could (not at all convenient). I never thought of myself as excessively smelly or sweaty....in fact, I know I am not BUT, this stuff just doesn't work for more than half a day if that. I have ask also tried Nourish brand with the same results. It is a bit cheaper and easier to find, but honestly, it just craps out very quickly. Alas, I am back to Dove which always works, and I never have to worry if suddenly I can smell myself in yoga or anywhere else. I just hate that :((

on 5/24/2015 9:03:00 PM

Had pretty much given up on "natural" deodorants like Tom's as just not effective enough. This is perfect for me. Light, pleasant scent and enough deodorizing power to get me through the day.

on 2/15/2015 2:17:00 PM

This did nothing to stop underarm odor, it just added a layer of vanilla to the mix. I bought the small size to try and am glad I did not waste my money on a full size. I have even tried this on several occasions, hoping that it was a fluke that it did not work the first time. The scent is lovely and the formula causes no irritation, it just did not perform well as a deodorant on me.

on 2/13/2015 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I don't usually need strong deodorants. Something light is sufficient for me unless I'm doing a heavy workout (and even this is rare) but this deodorant did not meet even these needs. The application is convenient, the formula is not at all drying or abrasive on the skin. But it leaves an ugly white cast which I don't like. And above all it barely functions as a deodorant. In fact it's pretty useless especially for the price. There's not much difference when I don't use it to when I do.

on 1/20/2015 8:22:00 PM

Bought this product a few weeks ago, have been using natural deodorant for a few years now, mainly the crystal based style. Wanted something with the appealing vanilla scent. However, this deodorant blocked the pores under my arms, giving we welts and blocked sweat glands. I also have to say, the vanilla scent was short-lived, as within 3-4 hours of application I could smell a strong body odor, and this was after a sedentary morning. I continued to use for around 2 weeks, thinking perhaps I am 'detoxing', and my body just needed to get used to this new product. However, the welts and blocked sweat glands have only gotten worse. This deodorant did however, kept me somewhat drier than my usual natural crystal style, but I had to stop using. I need to do some further investigation into the ingredients in this product, as I am somewhat wary of it's 'natural-ness' after my bodies strong adverse reaction.
Hopefully my underarms get back to normal soon.

on 12/22/2014 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Got this in vanilla passion fruit and it smells divine. It smells like vanilla, but it's not a super sweet and creamy dessert vanilla. The passion fruit one smells a bit more floral and fresh than the pure vanilla one. It's hard to find a deodorant without antiperspirant or aluminum in the drug store, so I automatically bought this when I saw it at Sephora. It's a bit pricey, at $14 USD but one stick can last you quite a while.

When applied it's smooth but not slimy, unlike some other deodorants I've used. It also doesn't irritate my underarms; some drugstore deodorants have done so in the past. Definitely recommended for those searching for a natural deodorant without aluminum.

on 11/30/2014 11:56:00 AM

I stopped using conventional deodorant when I learned that antiperspirant and deodorant products are some of the worst offenders when it comes to beauty products. There have been recent reports of links between these products and much higher rates of breast cancer, and doctors report that those who get breast cancer are most likely to get a tumor in the area closest to the armpit. Antiperspirants, by sealing in moisture, are the worst. Besides putting aluminum in your body, they prevent perspiration, which is the body’s natural way to eliminate toxins.

With that being said and breast cancer running rampant in my family, I immediately ceased using conventional deodorant and started venturing out into the world of DIY beauty products, some of which have been great, like my natural hand sanitizer, and some were not so great, like my homemade deodorant. Most natural deodorants contain baking soda, which can be great at keeping you dry, but it can also cause the skin to be overly dry and irritated. I noticed that my armpits were horribly itchy and red and irritated when using my DIY deodorant, which made me so sad because it really did work so well and I was able to know exactly WHAT was in my product. I continued using it because I just couldn't bear buying a deodorant from Whole Foods that would also cause a rash because a lot of natural deodorants just do that to your underarms, so I bit the bullet and continued using my DIY deodorant. It got to the point that the skin under my arms was turning brown and scaly. Super weird. I think it was just my overly dry and sensitive armpits taking a stand against the baking soda. I complained to my coworker friend, who is also a crunchy granola homeopathic like myself, and she sent me a link to Lavanila. I couldn't believe the price was $14. I thought that was silly to spend that much on a natural deodorant. So I passed.

I kept using my DIY paste of coconut oil, baking soda and essential oils and I eventually started noticing painful cyst-like bumps in my armpits. I thought maybe they were ingrown hairs, but it seemed to correlate with the deodorant. I couldn't take it anymore. The dryness. The flakes. The redness. The itchiness. And now the bumps. I decided to hop online to read some reviews, because I always read reviews before I purchase products. It's one of my favorite past times. :) After reading some reviews, I decided to swing on over to Sephora and pick some up. I spent some time smelling all the scents they had and I decided on 'Vanilla Grapefruit". I couldn't wait any longer. Once I got out into the parking lot and into my car, I unwrapped my new deodorant and slathered my new Lavanila on my angry armpits. Immediately I absolutely loved the smell and feel of this deodorant. It felt slightly "wet" upon application and also a little cooling. I loved that it came in a twist up container, much like the conventional brands. I was so used to using my DIY paste and stuffing my fingers into a glass jar and scooping out my homemade deodorant that this was such a nice change.

I almost immediately felt relief in my armpits due to the irritation that was caused by my DIY deodorant. I loved that it didn't sting or feel weird and wet under my pits. It dries quickly and stays put. I even purchased mine in August, which is our hottest month. The more I used my deodorant, the more I fell in love with it. I didn't even care about the price anymore. It was totally worth it to me.

Onto it's effectiveness. I find it amusing to read other peoples reviews about this product being a major flop. This is a NATURAL deodorant. Not an antiperspirant. This product contains NO aluminum which seals in the moisture which is so unnatural and bad for you. You WANT to sweat. And unfortunately when we do it smells a little, sometimes a lot. Sweating is GOOD for you. We live in a culture now that frowns down upon stuff like this, that women shouldn't sweat or be gross. Well, we are HUMAN and sometimes we are a little gross. This product isn't a miracle deodorant that makes you not sweat whatsoever or stink. This is a deodorant that is filled with natural ingredients that can HELP aid in you not sweating AS much or stinking AS badly. I shower at night time so I can sleep later in the mornings so therefore I put my Lavanila on at nighttime. By the time I wake up for work the next day, it's already been about 12 hours since I put on my first application. I do not reapply in the morning. As the day goes on, I do sometimes sweat, and I do sometimes stink, (not nearly as bad as I would without using this product) and other days I don't. It depends on how hot or sweaty I get at work and how many layers I have on. I sometimes will go running after work or to the gym, again, I do not reapply. I still sweat, yes, and I may stink a little. (This is normal). So by the end of my 24 hour day, I can only smell my odor if I stick my nose in my armpits. ;) My husband doesn't smell me, other people don't smell me. My body is able to naturally rid itself of toxins. I am able to keep my armpits nice and healthy and protect my body from willingly forcing chemicals into it. I stay mostly dry and mostly odorless in a 24 hour period.

I can honestly say this is the BEST natural deodorant out there. Yes, the price is a bit steep, but you are paying for a quality product that shouldn't cause your armpits to be irritated. The formula is nice a creamy/powdery consistency much like our beloved conventional store bought brands that harm our bodies, the cap is twist off so it stays secure in travel, it's a twist up dispenser which is nice and convenient and the smell is just so nice. No, you don't smell like it all day, but did you smell like your conventional deodorant all day? I didn't. And that is okay. I am just happy to know that I am putting healthy ingredients in my body and that it WORKS and does what a natural deodorant is supposed to do. Thank you, Lavanila, for your amazing deod

Top Rated Lavanila Products